PDA

View Full Version : how to reduce latency in wow

snowmaster
09-25-2011, 07:29 AM
"To get low pings with 2 simple registry hacks do the following. You need to apply both registry changes to get the maximum effect.

1 - TcpAckFrequency - NOTE if you are running Windows 7 this setting may not have any effect - a hotfix is needed which i'm tracking down. This works fine under any other Windows

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed in there, find the one you use to connect to the internet, there will be several interfaces listed (they have long names like {7DBA6DCA-FFE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8383}. Click each one, the right one will have lots of settings in it and you will see your machines IP address listed there somewhere. Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TcpAckFrequency, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

You can change it back to 2 (default) at a later stage if it affects your other TCP application performance. it tells windows how many TCP packets to wait before sending ACK. if the value is 1, windows will send ACK every time it receives a TCP package.

2 - TCPNoDelay
This one is pretty simple

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC.

I have found the performance to be at least as good as routing via a linux box, possibly better."

IF YOU DO NOT SUFFER FROM LATENCY ABOVE 100 AND/OR YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE PERFORMING THIS ACTION --- THEN DON'T DO IT!

mjmacky
09-25-2011, 08:05 AM
So you go in one thread and announce your opinion that Win7 64 bit is much better for gaming (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/435305-Windows-XP-x64-or-Windows-7-x64-better-for-gaming?p=3612672#post3612672)

But then you carry on with this age old registry network tweak designed for an older version of Windows that's no longer relevant in recent versions of Windows, and you obviously know:

NOTE if you are running Windows 7 this setting may not have any effect

So the question is, what's the point? By that, I mean, why did you feel like posting this?

IdolEyes787
09-25-2011, 02:14 PM
So you go in one thread and announce your opinion that Win7 64 bit is much better for gaming (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/435305-Windows-XP-x64-or-Windows-7-x64-better-for-gaming?p=3612672#post3612672)

But then you carry on with this age old registry network tweak designed for an older version of Windows that's no longer relevant in recent versions of Windows, and you obviously know:

NOTE if you are running Windows 7 this setting may not have any effect

So the question is, what's the point? By that, I mean, why did you feel like posting this?

Short answer http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/390714-Section-Guidelines-And-Requirements?p=3380159&viewfull=1#post3380159

anon
09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
TCP Optimizer > this thread.

megabyteme
09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Sorry, I misread the title, and was hoping someone had found a way to make WoW less gay. :idunno:

IdolEyes787
09-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Sorry, I misread the title, and was hoping someone had found a way to make WoW less gay. :idunno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRFQVMJf5eI

You said less gay you didn't say not gay.

mjmacky
09-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Short answer http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/390714-Section-Guidelines-And-Requirements?p=3380159&viewfull=1#post3380159

That thought crossed my mind, but at the time of my post, he had > 10 posts with 1 post already in the trade or request thread (this one being his last post, one of excess). It doesn't make sense now looking at it, I guess some of his posts have been removed.

mr. nails
09-26-2011, 04:59 AM
@ OP

u can just roll a range class and latency will never matter anywhore.

@ the rest of u

don't most of u still run xp or older os' anywho? so... this thr3ad is VERY informative!

xedy
09-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Helpful!

mjmacky
09-26-2011, 06:14 AM
@ the rest of u

don't most of u still run xp or older os' anywho? so... this thr3ad is VERY informative!

Not me, I was sold on Windows 7 while it was still in RC phase. The user experience on Win7 just worked that well for me. It felt tedious to stick with WinXP at that point, so I converted all to Win7.

anon
09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Not me, I was sold on Windows 7 while it was still in RC phase. The user experience on Win7 just worked that well for me. It felt tedious to stick with WinXP at that point, so I converted all to Win7.

Ditto, except that I only upgraded on April on this year. I planned to do so as soon as 7 was released back in late 2009, but the tedium of having to reinstall my programs and such always managed to pull me back :P

Cabalo
09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I still have the original BIE release of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, the day after it was released. Working like a charm so far, just had to circumvent some stuff time to time MS releases to tell you the obvious: "This copy of windows is not genuine".

snowmaster
09-28-2011, 10:02 PM
mjmacky man whats your problem really? some users still use windows xp so i made the post for them i didnt make the post for myself so dont just reply to attract all eyes on you seriously...

mjmacky
09-28-2011, 11:57 PM
mjmacky man whats your problem really? some users still use windows xp so i made the post for them i didnt make the post for myself so dont just reply to attract all eyes on you seriously...

Problem and inquiry are 2 different matters. You already made your bt site request BEFORE you made this post (at the time) even though this has little relevance to your situation. It perplexed me.

Byron
10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys for sharing such wonderful information i almost was failed in this application and my PC was giving the error but now i have resolve it so please keep it up and again thanks to all of you.

mjmacky
10-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys for sharing such wonderful information i almost was failed in this application and my PC was giving the error but now i have resolve it so please keep it up and again thanks to all of you.

You're obviously lying.

anon
10-06-2011, 12:48 AM

Need we say more? :idunno:

mjmacky
10-06-2011, 03:09 AM
No need, but this thread is definitely FFBF, For Fodder By Fodder