PDA

View Full Version : Gigatribe + Torrent Idea

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-27-2011, 05:42 AM
I will be living on campus soon but have an idea for getting around the campus firewall. I need to know if this would keep me out of trouble.

I considered syncing the utorrent download folder with gigatribe at my house. There, if I needed something, my brother could download a torrent. The torrent download would automatically appear in a gigatribe profile I set up at the house. I could then download the torrent download directly from this gigatribe profile.

Right now, all my torrent downloads are automatically synced with gigatribe so that any peer in my network could download any of my torrent downloads.

What do you think? Would my plan keep me out of trouble? If not, is there another way to discretely download torrents on campus, as in torrents from sites like the Pirate Bay?

Thanks for any help.

P.S--I'm also considering locating the torrent downloads directory in a dropbox folder. I already know dropbox syncs files on the campus.

That1Guy
09-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Torrent them to your house, ftp to campus?

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Torrent them to your house, ftp to campus?

Exactly. My brother would open the torrent file and the computer would do the rest.

That1Guy
09-27-2011, 06:30 AM
I dont see why that would be a problem. You could always remote desktop in to download the torrent. I've just seen to many stories that start with "my brother did....." that it seems like voluntarily giving your brother access may not be the smartest thing to do. :lol:

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-27-2011, 06:34 AM
I dont see why that would be a problem. You could always remote desktop in to download the torrent. I've just seen to many stories that start with "my brother did....." that it seems like voluntarily giving your brother access may not be the smartest thing to do. :lol:

How could I do that? I've never used a remote desktop.

Night0wl
09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm just wondering if your password here is something like NewGuy.

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Nope, I only use random passwords and usernames.

If I understood how to do what I wanted, I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, thanks That1Guy for help. I'm moving onto another thread.

anon
09-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Firstly, do you know what their policy on torrents and the like is? It does happen that while some universities "officially" forbid downloading, in practice they're rather lenient. In that case, you could cut the middleman and get your torrents directly. Just don't clog the connection all the time because 1. you could still get kicked, and 2. it's a shared resource other people need.

Otherwise, if you're going the Dropbox route, I second That1Guy's suggestion of using a remote desktop program instead of asking your brother to sync your torrents. Radmin and RemotelyAnywhere are the best two I've tried - the former is fast (and my favorite), but the latter can be controlled using just a Web browser in case you can't install the Radmin client for whatever reason. The only disadvantage I see in this route is that your home computer would need to remain running at all times.

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Firstly, do you know what their policy on torrents and the like is? It does happen that while some universities "officially" forbid downloading, in practice they're rather lenient. In that case, you could cut the middleman and get your torrents directly. Just don't clog the connection all the time because 1. you could still get kicked, and 2. it's a shared resource other people need.

Otherwise, if you're going the Dropbox route, I second That1Guy's suggestion of using a remote desktop program instead of asking your brother to sync your torrents. Radmin and RemotelyAnywhere are the best two I've tried - the former is fast (and my favorite), but the latter can be controlled using just a Web browser in case you can't install the Radmin client for whatever reason. The only disadvantage I see in this route is that your home computer would need to remain running at all times.

Thanks man! I'm pretty sure the university prohibits torrenting; the IT department specifically stated that their fiewall would catch any torrenting. I'm considering using UltraVNC, which is described here: http://lifehacker.com/5080121/five-best-remote-desktop-tools

I'll probably combine dropbox with remote desktop for flexibility. I have dropbox now but could create a separate account on the house computer for my privacy.

I thought this thread died, but I was wrong.

Night0wl
09-28-2011, 12:41 AM

Just for the record I wasn't implying your question was stupid. I was implying that your nickname looked like a random password.

Anyway you should look into others having same thoughts on campus and maybe sharing between each other using flashdrives, external harddrives or even WLAN connections, thus keeping everyones filesharing bandwidth at a minimum. Best way to keep under the radar. Also use encryption even when FTP'ing.

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-28-2011, 04:17 AM

Just for the record I wasn't implying your question was stupid. I was implying that your nickname looked like a random password.

Anyway you should look into others having same thoughts on campus and maybe sharing between each other using flashdrives, external harddrives or even WLAN connections, thus keeping everyones filesharing bandwidth at a minimum. Best way to keep under the radar. Also use encryption even when FTP'ing.

Oh, sorry I misinterpreted you. I'll probably try your suggestions. I'll see if I can use encrypt FTP from a remote desktop.

harrydresden
09-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Download from file hosts. Megaupload, rapidshare and mediafire all have no wait times and you could probably dl them from your university connection. and they are pretty fast too.

warez-bb.org + jdownloader.org for starters

anon
09-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes, that's also a good idea assuming file hosters aren't blocked. They shouldn't clog the line as much as torrents, also. I'm surprised I didn't mention them as an alternative, as I usually do when someone asks this sort of thing. New uploads will mostly use Fileserve or Filesonic instead of those three, though :P

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Download from file hosts. Megaupload, rapidshare and mediafire all have no wait times and you could probably dl them from your university connection. and they are pretty fast too.

warez-bb.org + jdownloader.org for starters

A student said the campus firewall blocks these too. I'll try these using the remote desktop. I'm also planning to use Freenet's Thaw, I2P's I2Psnark, and Tor. However, I couldn't access their network if my virtual machine was running (I visited the campus for a bit), and, so far, Tor only works on my virtual machine.

My ideal solution would allow me to access files from any filesharing site, which the remote desktop connection would seem to allow.

anon
09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't know the specifics of your plans, but it may be a better idea to leave Tor alone. It is meant for surfing and chat, not downloads.

zKfgzT9K8apb
09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't know the specifics of your plans, but it may be a better idea to leave Tor alone. It is meant for surfing and chat, not downloads.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't use Tor for downloads. I still need to use Tor for other things.