PDA

View Full Version : websites with free binary news servers info / discussions

enerdude
09-28-2011, 04:33 AM
I found these 2 site, thought I would share it with you guys.

Not sure if the wiki one is updated regularly but the sabnzbd one seems to be updated by people discussing new free servers.

http://en.cship.org/wiki/Free_Usenet_Newsservers_with_alt.binaries

and

http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51&sid=1c1f29570f0a4d19b9f00a4adfeff94f

Note: at the end of both pages I found weathergirl-ipv6.tele2.net which seems like a new ipv6 server I havent seen before

powersun
09-28-2011, 06:51 AM
thanks for sharing
:)

anon
09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Nice, this should be helpful.

If XS Usenet also dies on me, I may finally have to deal with IPv6 tunnels...

harrydresden
09-30-2011, 03:47 PM
thanks.. I was considering shifting to usenet

zot
10-05-2011, 01:23 AM
These lists will of course need regular updating, good free servers never last long. cship's list is notably short on free (no cc) trials like Cheapnews.

I've enjoyed a lot of free binary servers over the years, mostly new companies. XLned, Hitnews, Easynews.NL, and others, had fantastic service, completely free, for a several-week/month beta-test stretch. We'll see how much longer Binload lasts since going 'viral' :D

enerdude
10-05-2011, 03:58 AM
We'll see how much longer Binload lasts since going 'viral' :D

New registration for Binload is already closed. According to the server data my program extract, all current binload acccounts will expire 1-1-2012.

Disme
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
It lasted long ... much longer than most other free-servers (with or without 3th party clients).

@ Anon ... consider yourself lucky you can still fall back on ipv6; it means at least you have an account at the providers that offered it as a free test.
It is really not that hard to create such tunnels and there's a few rock solid tunnel-companies out there who's service has been up for over a year without even a glitch :)

anon
10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
New registration for Binload is already closed. According to the server data my program extract, all current binload acccounts will expire 1-1-2012.

Well, that's almost 3 months of free Usenet with good speeds and retention. :)

@ Anon ... consider yourself lucky you can still fall back on ipv6; it means at least you have an account at the providers that offered it as a free test.
It is really not that hard to create such tunnels and there's a few rock solid tunnel-companies out there who's service has been up for over a year without even a glitch :)

Yeah, it's a free service so I'm not complaining. Besides, I've never dealt with IPv6 tunnels before so that will be a nice opportunity to learn new things.