PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel Now Possible!

EyeCandy
09-28-2011, 06:24 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/23/faster-than-light-particles-may-be-physics-revolution/

Artemis
09-28-2011, 06:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/xezbB.jpg

Skiz
09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Faster than light particles are not that new of a... thing. No one has ever been able to prove that they exist but we know they do. Our universe for example is expanding faster than the speed of light.

Artemis
09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Faster than light particles are not that new of a... thing. No one has ever been able to prove that they exist but we know they do. Our universe for example is expanding faster than the speed of light.

He's still a spamtard, he's only posting links then pissing off, not exactly an endearing trait.

IdolEyes787
09-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I think you're being too hard on Skiz ,he also occasionally talks football.

Barbarossa
09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Time travel has always been possible. :unsure:

In the last 7 days I have travelled approximately 1 week into the future.

Yes, I truly AM this awesome. :happy:

IdolEyes787
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
No one has ever been able to prove that they exist but we know they do.

So are you arguing science or theology?

harrydresden
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Time travel has always been possible. :unsure:

In the last 7 days I have travelled approximately 1 week into the future.

Yes, I truly AM this awesome. :happy:

:lol:

clocker
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Faster than light particles are not that new of a... thing. No one has ever been able to prove that they exist but we know they do.
I thought it was a basic tenet of Eisenstein's Unified Theory that such a particle couldn't exist.

IdolEyes787
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/us-science-light-idUSTRE78L4FH20110922

That's why it's called a theory.

teflon05
09-28-2011, 02:16 PM
From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong. I'm by no means a physicist) the universe itself is expanding beyond the speed of light. But anything within the universe is supposedly unable to reach speeds beyond light speed...I think.

Quarterquack
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM
The universal expansion rate is nowhere near the speed of light (yet). Contemporary physicists argue that someday it will be, though, and at that point when we look up on a clear night we'll see very few spots (our solar system). Personally, I believe they have made a mistake, as I think the conclusion they came to is unreasonable. Sure, the universe might be expanding at an increasingly increasing rate, but someday the old concept of gravity and other physical constraints will have to hold back its acceleration. I believe that this is like the age-old "where is the center of the universe?" argument. Until we changed our perspective to a birds-eye view, we were convinced it was the sun. I'm more than sure that a perspective change will amount to the same revolution with this concept - after all, there's no physical reason that the universe isn't already expanding at such a rate, if our theory was true and it has had 14.8 billion years to expand after the first energy release (which was undoubtedly its fastest boost).

Nevertheless, this isn't the first experiment of its kind. Light waves fed into an acceleration track will exit it before they even enter. The data back then was disregarded as erroneous, but there had to be some explanation for that which we did not understand back then.

Also Einstein's theory only played to mass-based particles not being able to travel faster than light. It had nothing to do with light itself, as until very recently it was still a possibility that light itself can travel faster than the standard speed of light itself.

IdolEyes787
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Theoretical physics is like medicine, everyone pretends to know the answers but really it's more about making educated guesses and hoping for the best.

teflon05
09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes..I'm just going by some things I have read. An article about metric expansion, for example. from what I read, space itself is expanding, making it possible for 2 really distant objects to be moving away from each other at speeds exceeding light. I'm sure there are people here better educated than me that could explain it much better, but that's how I interpret it.

A
09-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I was 100% sure that ringhunter would definitely comment with a paragraph or more, and I wasn't wrong.

Personally, I believe they have made a mistake, as I think the conclusion they came to is unreasonable.
<3

megabyteme
09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Note to self: Do not post in this thread yesterday.

Quarterquack
09-28-2011, 07:36 PM
I was 100% sure that ringhunter would definitely comment with a paragraph or more, and I wasn't wrong.

Just doing my part to educate people. :idunno:

TheFoX
09-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I knew about this story two weeks before the author wrote it, which is proof in itself.

zigzagon
09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
bullshit

megabyteme
09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I knew about this story two weeks before the author wrote it, which is proof in itself.

We call that TheFoX News around here...

Quarterquack
09-29-2011, 04:12 AM

We call that TheFoX News around here...

Only if it's inaccurate, though!

mjmacky
09-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Just to clarify, the "speed of light" usually refers to how fast the massless radiation travels in a complete vacuum. Also, the implication stated in the thread title is a bit idiotic. Clearly they're just trying to figure out make your internet go faster.

harrydresden
09-29-2011, 01:50 PM
walk in and out of a black hole. You ll have travelled through time.

mjmacky
09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
walk in and out of a black hole. You ll the broken down components that used to be your body will have travelled through time.

/fixed

Quarterquack
09-29-2011, 02:25 PM
create a vehicle that accelerates to a speed fast enough to reach one of the dozen known black holes in our known galaxy, defeat time by simply boarding said vehicle, reach black hole 60 years later, feeling like a 59 year old man, walk in and out of a into the black hole. You ll have travelled through time died.

/properly fixed.

mjmacky
09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
create a vehicle that accelerates to a speed fast enough to reach one of the dozen known black holes in our known galaxy, defeat time by simply boarding said vehicle, reach black hole 60 years later, feeling like a 59 year old man, walk in and out of a into the black hole. You ll have travelled through time died.

/properly fixed.

Hey now, inventing technology defeats the purpose of a hypothetical. Also, died may be a little too relative; all we knoww that Enron Hubbard is waiting for us on the other side.

edit: post not edited, fuck I'm tired

IdolEyes787
09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
If I could travel through time I would prevent the invention of the internet just so this thread would go away.
Overreaction you say? Not according to my theory of relativity.:idunno:

megabyteme
09-29-2011, 06:27 PM

/properly fixed.

Undoubtedly, said vehicle will look something like this...

mjmacky
09-30-2011, 02:33 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that vehicle accelerate towards a black hole