11-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Mr Bugle
At The Drive In

whats your?

jetje
11-12-2003, 01:53 PM
what is art rock for a new term -Ad- is it Adism :blink: or...

Pink floyd used to be called Pshycedelic rock, at least when i was young :lol:

BobSlobber187
11-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Let's see,

Pink Floyd and Mr. Bungle are good

Fantomas
Mogwai
Sonic Youth
The Velvet Underground
Mazinga Phaser
Bardo Pond

just to name a few...

:beerchug:

pusher
11-13-2003, 01:23 AM
Talking Heads
Nic Endo
Brian Eno
Vangelis
Bjork

That's all I can think of right now.

[Edit: I thought of more!]

Adster
11-13-2003, 01:45 AM
what is art rock for a new term -Ad- is it Adism

ok what I mean is experimental sounds stuff that isn't simple different sounds technicques nice durroundign music that takes you somewhere else rather then having a normal 4/4 beat straight up and down improvisation

sparsely
11-13-2003, 02:52 AM
For the ultimate art/experimental music experience, get The Flaming Lips - Zaireeka

4 cd's, same 8 tracks with different arrangements/components. Designed to be played with 1,2,3, or all 4 cd's simultaneously.
Yes, you can find some mixed-down versions of the songs out there, with all 4 discs recorded as a single track, but it defeats the purpose
and the entire effect & experience of the project.
Gather some friends together, have them bring their cd players, and listen.
I made a release of it a while back here (http://www.musicmule.com/index.php?module=Album&id=307).

Also on the list:

Godspeed you Black Emperor / A Silver Mt. Zion
Mogwai
Negativland
Dick Hyman
Sigur Ros
The Droplift Project
any moog music

...to name a few

Gutter
11-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Art that rocks????

http://estrigious.com/becky/rock.jpg

We know how to rock!!!

:lol:

3RA1N1AC
11-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by jetje@12 November 2003 - 05:53
what is art rock for a new term -Ad- is it Adism  :blink:  or...

Pink floyd used to be called Pshycedelic rock, at least when i was young  :lol:
there are two completely different definitions of Art Rock that have been floating around for a while--

in 1970s new york, Art Rock was also called No Wave. people who know a lot about punk & new wave ought to be familiar with this movement. see: DNA, The Contortions, Suicide, etc.... and more recently bands like the Flying Luttenbachers, Numbers, A.R.E. Weapons, and Lightning Bolt.

everywhere else, Art Rock was synonymous with Progressive Rock. totally different from No Wave. this definition of Art Rock is more along the lines of Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer... descending to modern day bands like Mogwai, Radiohead, and Flaming Lips. it's not traditional psychedelic rock, but it's influenced at least by psych, as well as by science fiction and electronics (one of the few things it has in common with No Wave, i guess).

i'd recommend Slint and Trans Am as two fine examples of Progressive Rock in the 1990s.

Sonic Youth falls somewhere in between the two definitions, 'cause they're sorta punk and they're sorta prog. german bands from the 70s like Can, Neu and Faust also fall somewhere in the middle.