PDA

View Full Version : online storage sites

mike160
10-04-2011, 12:07 AM
hi anyone here know of any good online storage sites so far i have tryed this 2 am trying there free trial but not realy good slow upload speed they like to cap speeds :(

http://www.livedrive.com/?tid=adwordsgenusonlinestorage&gclid=CKiDisfbzasCFZAs7AodVBFr5Q

http://www.backblaze.com/

i was thinking of useing this guys here but they dont offer any free trail and there is not much talk on them just this here i found on youtube there called online storage solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAuQbeTbSxA

anon
10-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Dropbox?

mike160
10-04-2011, 01:36 AM
yeah i know about dropbox but i dont think they have unlimited storage and they are also pretty expensive to add some more extra gigabytes and i realy need unlimited storage

OldIronTits
10-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I have a free MediaFire account. They have never capped my upload speeds. I have over 1TB of data on there.

I know nothing of livedrive & backblaze.

anon
10-04-2011, 02:05 AM
yeah i know about dropbox but i dont think they have unlimited storage and they are also pretty expensive to add some more extra gigabytes and i realy need unlimited storage

I don't know if there are any similar services offering unlimited storage for free. The Dropbox-like ones I've read about all offer limited capacities that can be expanded through referrals and such.

One-click hosting may be better for these purposes - but be aware of inactivity policies. Or you can create an account in a free Web hosting with unlimited space (e.g. UnlimitedTree.com) and use it as your personal file depot.

mike160
10-04-2011, 02:19 AM
wow i did not know you can also use one-click hosting sites as a unlimited backup storage how would i backup useing theses hosting sites useing filezilla ftp

Cabalo
10-04-2011, 02:47 AM
I've no idea, but to have FTP access I could bet you must have a premium account.
Fileserve and wupload seem to be popular lately.

mike160
10-04-2011, 03:07 AM
if i use any web hosting site am going to get a premium account i dont mind paying $15 to $20 a month if i can use ftp and upload my stuff like that if its that easy i have never used any web hosting site for backup storage about mediafire and fileserve,wupload look good but i dont know how all theses work i know theses hosters are use on warez and alot of the sutff get deleted from there server i need a way to backup my stuff and not have it deleted

Edit : @ anon when you say one-click hosting may be better for these purposes do you mean like fileserve and wupload or something like this here http://www.1-clickhosting.com/

anon
10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
wow i did not know you can also use one-click hosting sites as a unlimited backup storage how would i backup useing theses hosting sites useing filezilla ftp

A few support FTP (Hotfile springs to mind), but most do not - as far as I know. You'll probably want to use FileUploader, it's a small program that can upload files to a multitude of hosters, using an account if you choose so.

Fileserve and wupload seem to be popular lately.

Their referral programs pay pretty well, but for personal use that'd be less relevant.

i know theses hosters are use on warez and alot of the sutff get deleted from there server i need a way to backup my stuff and not have it deleted

The stuff gets deleted because it's warez. The hosters receive takedown notices or see massive traffic coming from places where warez gets posted, and the files are deleted. Personal backups won't die in this fashion, but do keep an eye on inactivity policies.

Edit : @ anon when you say one-click hosting may be better for these purposes do you mean like fileserve and wupload

Yes.

mike160
10-04-2011, 04:10 PM
anon so i wouldn't be able to use something like this for unlimited backup storage http://www.1-clickhosting.com/ also do you know if at wupload they keep your files forever caues they dont same anything on there site about this they do say it on fileserve but i dont like that there file maximum size or 2 gb for premium user also what is this inactivity policies

anon
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
anon so i wouldn't be able to use something like this for unlimited backup storage http://www.1-clickhosting.com/

That's what I said above...

Or you can create an account in a free Web hosting with unlimited space (e.g. UnlimitedTree.com) and use it as your personal file depot.

Obviously, a paid hosting service will also work.

also do you know if at wupload they keep your files forever ... also what is this inactivity policies

One and the same thing.

mike160
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
i think i will try a web hosting with unlimited space feels safer and more private to me so what does inactivity policies mean your stuff gets deleted and account close for not useing much

anon
10-04-2011, 05:50 PM
so what does inactivity policies mean your stuff gets deleted and account close for not useing much

Correct. Files are deleted if not downloaded for the last X days (varies according the hoster) to make room for new ones.

mike160
10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
ok thanks anon

does the inactivity policies also apply to pay web hosting or it just with the free ones and with sites like fileserve and wupload

anon
10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
does the inactivity policies also apply to pay web hosting or it just with the free ones and with sites like fileserve and wupload

Generally they're cooler to paying customers, but always check their terms of service and such to know ;)

Also, some hosting services have a "don't use us as file storage" rule. You'll have to spot things like that before you pay.

mike160
10-05-2011, 02:03 AM
thanks i will check around i was thinking of useing http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml or http://www.ixwebhosting.com/hosting-plans caues the one-click hosting mediafire i just paid them $9 and the upload speed are bad i am uploading a full dvd which should take me about 5 min its going to take about 3-4 hour i need some thing faster were i can max out my upload speed and not be cap

anon
10-05-2011, 02:48 AM
i am uploading a full dvd which should take me about 5 min

What upload speed is that? :blink:

mike160
10-05-2011, 02:52 AM
about 15 MB/s it take me about let say if am not wrong 5-10 min to download or upload a full dvd

zot
10-05-2011, 04:52 AM
My chief complaint against free file storage/drive backup sites is that they start out offering a "too good to be true" service, and then once you've gotten comfortable with the system and uploaded all your files, they always seem to greatly reduce the level of the free service, in effect taking your files hostage unless you pay the ransom. (I always refused out of principle)

Some cheapskate solutions that I've used for file hosting: Gmail Drive and OpenP2M, both of which essentially turn a Gmail account into a "FTP" server. They're not quite as easy and tidy as using a proper storage site, but make a nice trick to play with. (These are old apps; I don't know if they still work on Gmail accounts)

does the inactivity policies also apply to pay web hosting or it just with the free ones ...

Generally they're cooler to paying customers ...

Who'd have ever thought ... ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

mike160
10-05-2011, 06:03 AM
does anybody know if mediafire gives refunds :(

Glod
10-05-2011, 07:43 AM
I have recently begun using ifile.it - simple design, no ads, no hassles. The site seems to be associated with library.nu, which is great for e-books. Maximum file size of 1GB, and the files are deleted after a while, but it suits me well as an alternative to the established, more popular storage sites, with their waiting times and numerous ads.

anon
10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Some cheapskate solutions that I've used for file hosting: Gmail Drive and OpenP2M, both of which essentially turn a Gmail account into a "FTP" server. They're not quite as easy and tidy as using a proper storage site, but make a nice trick to play with. (These are old apps; I don't know if they still work on Gmail accounts)

Google didn't like having GMail accounts used as a hard drive, and they've disabled accounts over that. Not really a reliable storage solution, at least not in my eyes :P

mike160
10-05-2011, 04:43 PM
also i read some were that gmail only holds about 2-4 gb very lil storage solution and not safe a lot of them get hack

zot
10-06-2011, 06:56 AM

Google didn't like having GMail accounts used as a hard drive, and they've disabled accounts over that. Not really a reliable storage solution, at least not in my eyes :P

It's probably been a half-dozen years since I've used Gmail (and other email accounts) for file storage/backup, so I really have no idea how these things work now. (this was before the rise of one-click hosting sites, which no doubt made email-based file-sharing largely obsolete)

I thought it was an excellent idea for "cloud" storage of things like MP3 collections but the problem was that people started mass-sharing movies this way, forcing the email providers to crack down on the resulting sky-high bandwidth consumption. If I remember correctly, it seemed that Gmail would temporarily lock all accounts when bandwidth hit 500MB in a day (which meant a Gmail customer could only access half the account's files, as gmail had 1gig file storage in those days.) but there were other email services without caps yet.

I mentioned email-type file storage apps because it was an amusing trick in its day for getting something for free. But it seems like those projects have been mostly dormant for years. P2M and a few other file-sharing forums seem to have shut down, although for a while it seemed that there were quite a few Spanish (or Português?) language sites around (It's funny how P2M suddenly got very popular in South America, but practically nowhere else).

also i read some were that gmail only holds about 2-4 gb very lil storage solution and not safe a lot of them get hack
I believe that gmail's limit is 8GB per account now, with additional storage available for a cost.

I'm assuming that you're primarily wanting offsite file storage/drive backup for personal stuff, rather than file sharing with others. If you need security, the best thing you can do is to encrypt/password-protect the files yourself before uploading them to the storage site -- rather than relying on the promised security (or lack of) of the site itself, as security breaches can and do happen.

One last thing. I've used a number of "drive backup" storage sites like Xdrive, Driveway, and others back in the 1990s (pre-tech bust) when they were all free. They're a niche intended for making HDD backups, and it would not surprise me if today there is all-in-one software available that will backup, encrypt, split and upload your entire hard drive to a site in one or two clicks - if that might be what you are wanting to do.

webdesignuk
10-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Hello,

This online site is very useful for featured plan. " http://www.infinitevizionz.co.uk " Then to get some more things don't go for other places. It will be to connect and share the informations.

PastTense
10-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Here is a comparison of online backup services. You can see some offer 2 GB to 5 GB free.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_backup_services

anon writes:
"The stuff gets deleted because it's warez. The hosters receive takedown notices or see massive traffic coming from places where warez gets posted, and the files are deleted. Personal backups won't die in this fashion, but do keep an eye on inactivity policies."

The potential problem is that the whole site gets taken down because it is mostly warez.

mike160
10-09-2011, 11:08 PM
thanks

nye
10-13-2011, 03:24 AM
I have like 22GB on Dropbox through referrals and stuff like that. It's awesome.

mike160
10-15-2011, 02:49 AM
yeah dropbox looks nice but i need unlimited disk space at a nice price

anon
10-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Find a Web hosting or server provider that will max those 15 MB/s :P Then you can upload and download your files via FTP. Since you're willing to pay and free services either don't have unlimited space, good speeds or could kill your backups at any time, that looks like the best solution to me.

mike160
10-15-2011, 06:03 PM
yeah i was thinking of going with a pay web hosting but everyone i have look at dont want there web hosting server to be use for file storage so a lil risky useing them for file storage and then have all you files deleted :( need something safe can they tell if you are useing it for file storage :unsure: and not hosting a website

whatcdfan
10-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Have you tried Uploadking? I personally don't know anything about it but I heard someone mentioning it's quite good.

mike160
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
thanks will check them out