PDA

View Full Version : Giganews\GoldenFrog VPN => International Copyright Mafia Ring owns u

Hypatia
10-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Nzbmatrix usenet community has received recently a very disturbing yet expected - considering the ongoing attack on the human rights and freedom - distress post (http://nzbmatrix.com/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=40498&page=1) from a faithful giganews subscriber( 1 year, lads and gents, 1 year with giganews,open up champaign) .

Giganews terminated his account due to "copyright infringement" as they claimed.:

"This is a Notice of Copyright Infringement.We have received multiple DMCA notices from copyright holders or their authorized agents that you, or someone using your account, have allegedly infringed their copyright.Per the Giganews repeat copyright infringer policy, your account has been terminated."

At first our brother in arms usenet thought that it was some kind of mistake because he had never uploaded anything to usenet and as we all well aware of - no uploading means no risk.Guaranfuckingteed.

He sent them email requesting more information on the terrible and unforgivable crime he had commited allegedly.

The merciless response was fast as the strike of an axe. The head, branded with a disgraceful "DMCA violator" ,still emitting the smell of the burning flesh, rolled,lads and gets

What has happened is a backlog of DMCA requests have been filed and worked and your account received more than 6+ DMCA notifications regarding the illegal download of copyright material. We are playing the middle man in this and not giving your information to the DMCA request to prevent you from being sued for millions

It is a known fact that Giganews has 2 strike policy refering to usenet, not X times.
It is a known fact that the poor lad didnt upload anything at all.
It is as clear as day that his account that allowed him to use VPN as well as usenet(Diamond subscription) got banned for downloading

He was a true believer.
He believed that downloading and uploading bittorrent stuff via VPN service was as safe as sucking a tiny finger in mommas womb.Carefree existence of an innocent yet to be born child!

If only he had known!

https://www.goldenfrog.com/copyright

Here ends the tale of relationship lasted for a year. Here comes the sad truth:

DONT use giganews VPN service(probably any USA based VPN service) for bittorrent delights.
You may catch copyright STDs UTDs(utorrent transmitted diseases)

There are plenty of European based VPN services that dont keep any logs and wont defile one's epic quest for a better digital future

The faithful son was raped,fistcopyrightedlyfucked and abused by ungrateful father.
Be not afraid and lost!
There are still loving arms out there waiting for you to fall into their embrace
Peace be with you, brother!

From Singapore with lAWe

anon
10-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Some VPN services already tell you the US servers are to be used for Hulu, Netflix and such, and not for P2P, offering the choice of an EU server (the Netherlands are a favorite) for those tasks.

I once had a look at VyprVPN's Web site, and it looked alright until the privacy policy.

mjmacky
10-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Takeaways:

1. Seems he only lost about $30
2. Giganews is either attempting to shield customers, or trying to give the appearance of shielding customers
3. YIKES!
4. Time to sign up for AW?

Hypatia
10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
anon
i prefer VPN service based in Sweden =)

zot
10-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Excellent point, Hypatia. I would have hoped that these issues would have been obvious to most people, but there's always a few who can only learn the hard way. (I'm waiting for someone to complain -- and be shocked -- about losing his annual prepaid Newshosting account because he got nailed for posting copyrighted material.)

It bears repeating that the United States -- home of Hollywood and the DMCA -- is probably about the worst place in the world regarding copyright issues, as well ranking very poorly in online privacy, especially since this co-called "Patriot Act" basically crushed any lingering expectation of personal privacy. (and I'd never trust a supposedly-private US-based email site like Hushmail.)

As a general rule, always diversify. (Keep a separate block account for posting, etc) I don't understand why some people want to have everything in one place. I remember when Easynews used to offer free email accounts, but it would obviously not be very smart for a person to have been using an Easynews email account for important correspondence while at the same time uploading dodgy material.

And in the case with Giganews, this is a company with multi-million dollar investments in usenet server farms and data centers (owned, not rented) so they're not about to risk everything they own being taken by the RIAA and MPAA because of being on the wrong side of the DMCA.

I would trust The Pirate Bay and Pirate Party spawned VPNs much more, since they're non-US-based hard-core advocates and idealogues. But even then, expect them to eventually bend/break when the pressure becomes overwhelming.

I'm not at all surprised that Giganews has taken this approach to copyright enforcement - I'm only surprised that it's taken this long for Giganews VPN/usenet situation to hit the news.. They know they're in Hollywood's crosshairs and they did what they had to do to adhere to the DMCA and attempt to portray themselves as being hostile toward infringement to the maximum degree possible. (News-Service.com probably wishes they had taken a more aggressive stance against infringers, that they could have presented in court) There's no doubt that's why Giganews created a separate company to run the VPN, but the question is, like Limewire, Inc., would a court consider this as mere "window dressing" set up for the sole purpose of asset preservation?

I'm sure they're many of us who can say "we told you so" :lol:

Hypatia
10-05-2011, 01:22 AM
zot

is probably about the worst place in the world regarding copyright issues

so what do you think then about the recent attack against european -based usenet provider backed by a corrupted judge ? =0
it seems clouds are gathering there as well.BREIn is a Hollywood watchdog.
i wonder what AW oweners would decide to do when they face brein barking at them in a court. Bend over and take it up the arse , fight back, or just move server farms to Singapore(better be quick than dead)? =)

zot
10-05-2011, 03:15 AM
Another thing that would help is using a SOCKS/HTTP proxy in conjunction with Giganews' VPN. I'm not talking about the free ones (which are often servers accidently left open) but the monthly anonymity services like torrentprivacy.com that use a traditional proxy setup instead of a VPN. Presumably anyone paying $35 a month for usenet is not going to be worried about an extra $5 or $10 on top of that for a proxy.

zot

is probably about the worst place in the world regarding copyright issues

so what do you think then about the recent attack against european -based usenet provider backed by a corrupted judge ? =0
it seems clouds are gathering there as well.BREIn is a Hollywood watchdog.
i wonder what AW oweners would decide to do when they face brein barking at them in a court. Bend over and take it up the arse , fight back, or just move server farms to Singapore(better be quick than dead)? =)
I'll post some thoughts in the "Is this the begining of the end?" thread. As for Singapore as "copyright haven" -- the country (or city-state?) actually has some very tough copyright laws generally (not unlike Japan) a few ordinary torrenters have even gone to jail there. I've noticed that Hollywood's enforcement has always been randomly selective: they focus intensely in one or two places to try to snuff out the fires, while ignoring everything else going on. (like they ignored Usenet for so many years) And lately the Dutch and Swedes have been 'taking it on the chin' as these former p2p sanctuaries have been carpet-bombed with lawyers and lobbyists, courtesy of Hollywood, USA.

OldIronTits
10-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Presumably anyone paying $35 a month for usenet is not going to be worried about an extra $5 or $10 on top of that for a proxy.

Can you please link to a $5 proxy that allows 5+ TB per month?

zot
10-05-2011, 03:51 AM
Presumably anyone paying $35 a month for usenet is not going to be worried about an extra $5 or $10 on top of that for a proxy.

Why would a person with usenet access ever need to torrent 5+ TB/month?

mjmacky
10-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Why would a person with usenet access ever need to torrent 5+ TB/month?

Why would any 1 person NEED to torrent > 5 TB a month?
That comes out to more than 200 25GB Bluray transfers every month. That's trying real hard at something that has absolutely no payoff.

anon
10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I think only the seedbox whores download more than 5 TB a month. :blink:

vBooM
10-05-2011, 09:53 PM
why not cheap vps with squid3 or vpn for a proxy, cheap, reliable, espeically with the unmetered hosters. and then its your own dedicated ip as a proxy, where as hidemyass etc its all shared ips O_o

harrydresden
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Forget bittorrent. Download from filehosts, use a proxy. Or get into a little known completely closed bittorrent tracker.

Beck38
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Okay, let me jump in here ('let' is a misnomer, unless you shield your eyes from reading further).

By far the largest copyright infringer ON THE PLANET is Netflix. Followed by the other rental 'firms'. The ability of anyone to purchase a subscription to their service, aided by decryption s/w (despite the on-going back and forth, DVD and BluRay, the decrypt folks have won), multiple ways to 'process' the data (recode or not), wide availability of of cheap blank recordable discs. not to mention the increasing fall of drive prices, etc. etc. etc.

All the internet (P2P or usenet) does, is 'speed up' the process. If they actually sold their product at a price point which allowed a decent (not obscene) profit, not try to obsolete things all the time (how many issues and re-issues of a movie?), then again, none of this would exist. Who would care?

zot
10-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Hide My Ass VPN service is also taking a lot of criticism for ratting out an Anonymous (capital "A") subscriber. This calls into question the major point of using a proxy or VPN service since a user is really no more anonymous than without one. Both a VPN service and an internet service provider keep logs and will turn them over when presented with a court order. Using a VPN just means that it takes two separate court orders to get someone's identity -- which is barely a speed bump in the process.

torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-mull-fraudster-database-in-wake-of-lulzec-fiasco-111006/

not try to obsolete things all the time (how many issues and re-issues of a movie?), then again, none of this would exist.
Or how about major plot reversals in the re-issues of 'classic' films?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first

Hypatia
10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
zot

But his plan failed in the biggest way imaginable. HideMyAss (HMA) keep logs and as a UK company when given a court order to cough up information, they do so

this.

We just need to use "normal" VPN service. No logs. =) Thta is if there are any real truth to their statements lol

B18C5
10-07-2011, 06:16 PM
http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007

Good article about VPN servers and their logging policies.

Hypatia
10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
It seems that Sweden VPN services are safe