PDA

View Full Version : Speed problems with newsbin pro and astraweb

benh09
10-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Hey everyone. I am not the greatest with newsgroups but i have always been able to get everything i needed downloaded at a decent speed. I recently upgraded to a wndr4500 router and 50mb/s internet with cox communications. However i have only been able to achieve speeds up to 6 mbs. That seems odd to me. I cant understand it. I have opened the ports on my router and have tried everything from 1-20 connections. Can anyone suggest some measures i might take in order to improve my speeds?

mjmacky
10-06-2011, 03:00 AM
That would depend on what happens between 1 & 20 connections. If you seem to max out no matter how many connections, that would make it seem like your ISP is doing a bit of intervention on your connection. Any difference between standard and SSL connections?

benh09
10-06-2011, 03:10 AM
there is no difference between my standard and ssl connections. I called my ISP and after requesting to speak to 3 supervisors i was assured that i am not being throttled. I am wondering if perhaps it may actually be my computer limiting my speeds. I have a 5 year old computer with 4gb ram a very slow amd turion processor. (dont worry a new high powered comp is in the mail) Is it possible that it is my comp slowing me down?

mjmacky
10-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Or check your client for set limits. I'm not familiar with newsbin pro.

Edit: sorry about the turion processor, that could be a culprit. Perhaps monitor your processor usage, I'm assuming a single core. Text is being coded back to binary, so your processor is involved in the download.

benh09
10-06-2011, 03:43 AM
I have checked every possible option i could on newsbin pro. I am operating at full speed according to the client. We will see what happens when i get the new computer. GO I7!

zot
10-06-2011, 05:52 AM
It might be just pure coincidence, but I've got to wonder if you might be confusing bits with bytes ....

Your 50 megabit internet connection will (theoretically) download at 6.25 megabytes/second -- which is almost exactly the number you report getting.

MultiForce
10-06-2011, 06:19 AM
It might be just pure coincidence, but I've got to wonder if you might be confusing bits with bytes ....

Your 50 megabit internet connection will (theoretically) download at 6.25 megabytes/second -- which is almost exactly the number you report getting.

Just to add on that.

You see both numbers in the lower left corner: Mine is 101.2 Mbps/12.6MBps

zot
10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
... another tidbit ...

Compressed headers download at close to 8x the speed of uncompressed headers, generating numbers which could be confused with the 8:1 ratio of bits to bytes.