PDA

View Full Version : Remote control Newsbin through TCP

B18C5
10-08-2011, 03:16 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbremote/

Any programmers out there. You can remote control Newsbin (6.11 has the most features) through a TCP interface. Someone is building a web front end (or at least he said he was) and another person has an IOS app in beta to remote control. Basically, you can use your iPad or iphone to search, add downloads and see what Newsbin is doing. It includes browsing news groups headers (for the 2 of you who still download headers).

The sourceforge project is just a C# implementation that tests the interface. You can use it for remote control but, it's pretty primitive. It's just intended to show how you can do it.

zot
10-10-2011, 04:43 AM
That's good news.

Although Newsbin is far out front in so many aspects, it seems that web-based clients like SABNZBD, NINAN, and URD would be the obvious choice for anyone needing that kind of feature since that's basically what they specialize in. (although Windows users who do headers would be completely left out)

I wondered if there's any chance that Newsbin would ever build in a (official) remote control feature? Although I've never had a need to use one myself, it seems that eMule's remote control function has been a very popular feature since it was added a half-dozen years ago. But in contrast to P2P apps, for some reason newsreaders (other than web-clients, obviously) were not eager to go that route.

B18C5
10-10-2011, 12:10 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbremote/

Is about as official as it gets. You connect to Newsbin with TCP and send it commands and ask for status. So, the interface is built in.

People report laying in bed with an iPad adding downloads and searching. You can feed NZB's through the interface too. The IOS app can pull NZB's from a variety of sources and feed them down. You could actually build a complete alternate interface on top of this protocol so, Newsbin could just act as a server for your downloads.

sandman_1
10-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Wish someone would come out with a full binary downloader for Android instead of remote control shit. You really don't need this if you have other ways to upload files to your PC such as FTP. You can have Newsbin monitor a folder for NZB files. I upload nzb files to it through FTP all the time from my phone. Would be nice to direct download to phone though.

B18C5
10-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I've toyed with the idea. Currently the GCC tools that come with the Android C++ devel kit aren't modern enough to support the latest C++ constructs. I'm waiting for them to update the tools before I take it any further.

You can actually download the files using the remote control interface and then feed them to your android box through the remote control interface. It would work better than IOS too because IOS requires that iTunes bless the files before they can play on the device.

Hypatia
10-11-2011, 12:11 AM
iTunes bless the files before they can play on the device.
one can always bypass Steve's madness.... as any person who respects oneself should do=)

sandman_1
10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I've toyed with the idea. Currently the GCC tools that come with the Android C++ devel kit aren't modern enough to support the latest C++ constructs. I'm waiting for them to update the tools before I take it any further.

Man I wish someone would do it. I would try but I just haven't the time and I would be starting from scratch.