PDA

View Full Version : Binreader -use at your own risk

Hypatia
10-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I was looking for a portable (all-included, not depending on java or NET) app that simply downloads nzb, checks files, repairs them if needed, unpacks, deletes rars\pars + deletes files that have particular extension set in settings like sfv srr nfo etc (optionally)

So,i gave binreader a try.Fed it DVD9 nzb and got it downloading. Well, the outcome was hillarious - when i opened the folder i saw just one single file, one of the rar part files, everything else was deleted, no unpacking done, nothing. Creepy :D

I downloaded it again later via some other newsreaders and it was OK

So, given the fact that it hasnt been updated for a while i suppose one should use it at ones own risk.

Is there any portable, light,fast simple nzb downloader? No built-in search via binsearch\nzbindex etc, no web interface, or whatever. Simple,efficient pure nzb download app with smart clean up feature(preferably)

mjmacky
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I have alt.binz installed, but I feel like I've heard there's a portable setup for it too. I believe it does all the things you mention, though I can't be positive about the deletion since I never checked off those options (I like to check to make sure the file is OK myself).

Hypatia
10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
i dont like alt-binz and i wouldnt call it "simple"=) i mean there are lots of menus, preferences, built-in search index sites (which i suppose dont work anymore on a free old version)..
im looking for something really simple,like binreader, you know.

zot
10-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Binreader seems to be about the only one (at least that I'm aware of) that fulfills all those requirements.

But if you could compromise on just one issue, what could it be?

Hypatia
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
well, not alt binz for sure
im prepared to take anything else into consideration =)
portability, auto repair\unrar is a must, id say.

zot
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
One hurdle is that there are few portable clients available. Altbinz, Binreader, and UE are about the only ones I can think of, but it's of course possible that others that only come with installation packages (that don't rely on the registry to store settings) can be used as a portable copy after installation.

EDIT: NiouzeFire has a portable version, if you can tolerate DOT.NET ?

mjmacky
10-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I jumped into usenet all bug-eyed and green, and at the time I felt it was quite easy to setup Alt.binz. I am using the free version, and I've hidden all those search bars. Since then, out of pure curiosity, I started exploring other clients, finding them to be quite lacking and too complex to serve a purpose.

If I were to equate it (to provide some sort of base of reference), I'd say Alt.binz is about as complex as utorrent.

Hypatia
10-10-2011, 12:08 PM
NiouzeFire
ive tried it.. didnt like much tbh =)
guess ill just have to wait when someone makes another binreader then

mjmacky
i not a fan of altbinz and its developer=)

zot
10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
But Altbinz has a lot of settings and options (that some people might find confusing) compared to the much simpler clients like Unzbin, Binreader, or HelloNZB, which have very few configuration options.

I'd really like to see UE come out with a simplified UI as an option, like Nero does with Nero Express.

Grabit 2.0 should hopefully be coming out soon, we'll see if the developer fulfilled people's requests for a portable version.

Stabber
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I agree with zot , UE does have a lot of advanced options , there should an option to use the basic ones .

And btw altbinz is pretty easy to use , i'm using version 28.5 and it's pretty straightforward and easy to use

Hypatia
10-10-2011, 01:05 PM
guys im not arguing whether altbinz is easy to use or not. =)

i was using it for some time then threw it away for several reasons and now i ve been using UE which rocks ever since

it doesnt matter at all and not relevant to the topic.

The task at hand is to find nzd downloader
1)portable
2)light
3)not based on java, NET, self-sufficient
4)without any features except for auto repair\unrar,\delete PAR\RAR +optionally clean up(sfv srr nfos etc)
5)no headers( NZB DOWNLOADER ONLY)
6)fast

do u remember nzbomatic+ ? THIS.
21th century edition lol(well except for NET)

mjmacky
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
It's starting to look more like a design plan for a program you're coding rather than you looking for suggestions. Don't confuse my intent, it's not like I want to push Alt.binz onto you, but I did want to clarify Alt.binz for anyone that might happen upon this thread. You seem to have a personal grudge against it, and I can understand that (as I do the same for certain progs like WinRAR and iTunes).

That being said, you've set both the bottom and top bars, and as far as binary usenet downloaders go, it's a very narrow spectrum you've left. You're either requesting based on specs of a program you already know to exist, or you're mapping out the goals of one on some new project. That's at least how it looks.

Hypatia
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
you're coding
i really wish i could code )

mjmacky
10-10-2011, 04:56 PM
you're coding
i really wish i could code )

Step one, get some eyeballs, you're smilie is lookin' blind

OldIronTits
10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
mjmacky, you on the sauce?

mjmacky
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
mjmacky, you on the sauce?

Not on a Monday afternoon, I just have a particular literal interpretation of things

usuck
10-15-2011, 11:40 AM
I like http://hellonzb.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php :)

Hypatia
10-15-2011, 01:57 PM
tried it. it doesnt delete rar\par2 files after unpacking is done(!)
I dont even mention that its java based=) but anyways no clean up at all- unforgivable=)

Stabber
10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
what's wrong with alt.binz ? it seems you have a personal dislike for that proggy ;)

zot
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
tried it. it doesnt delete rar\par2 files after unpacking is done(!)
I dont even mention that its java based=) but anyways no clean up at all- unforgivable=)

There are several add-on apps that will unrar/unpar/delete

I can't think of their names right now, but they were quite popular in the early/mid 2000's before binary news clients started having that function built-in.

cubbyche
10-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Yes used it with NewsLeecher many moons a go...
AutoUnpack is a program that is able to automatically verify, repair and extract downloaded files.
http://www.binaries4all.com/autounpack/