PDA

View Full Version : Port 5900 on Campus Network?

zKfgzT9K8apb
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm planning to create a file sharing system to bypass my college campus network (I'm leaving for college soon). I would use Universal VNC to remotely control the desktop at my house. I'd remotely download torrents to the home computer then FTP them to my laptop, the viewer computer.

To do this, port 5900 must be open.

How likely is it that I wouldn't be able to access this port from campus? If I could not access this port, what could I do to remotely control the home computer?

Thanks for any assistance!

anon
10-12-2011, 08:30 PM
How likely is it that I wouldn't be able to access this port from campus? If I could not access this port, what could I do to remotely control the home computer?

It depends on what sort of firewall they have. You may have to change the port, or they could be blocking the RFB protocol (the one VNC uses) altogether. I doubt that's the case, though, since what you're doing has legitimate uses and doesn't eat much bandwidth.

Of course, there's always a chance it'll work on the first attempt using the default port :)

In case you can't get it to work at all, you can try the two programs I mentioned in your other thread.

zKfgzT9K8apb
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM

It depends on what sort of firewall they have. You may have to change the port, or they could be blocking the RFB protocol (the one VNC uses) altogether. I doubt that's the case, though, since what you're doing has legitimate uses and doesn't eat much bandwidth.

Of course, there's always a chance it'll work on the first attempt using the default port :)

In case you can't get it to work at all, you can try the two programs I mentioned in your other thread.

Thanks!

mjmacky
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Also might be worthwhile to research the Linux version and desktop environment and how well it functions with the client you are choosing. I learned the hard way that Natty (debian) + KDE + UVNC = complete fucking uselessness