PDA

View Full Version : Playback stutters mostly with immerse releases

iamloco724
10-14-2011, 04:15 AM
i just recently started downloading hd files and everything is good except quite often video playback stutters with mostly immerse releases it could be smooth most of the time but you can notice a slight stutter/judder whatever you want to call it

then theres some shows that really terrible like alot from this seasons its always sunny in philly

at first i thought it was my popcorn hour but i notice it on my pc too some what its not as vivid as on the player and other people i spoke to as well its definitely a problem with the the files

i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on maybe how i can remux it or something else i can try im totally new to this so please play dumb with me ideally would like something that runs quickly and is done so i can watch whatever as soon as i want

any help greatly appreciated

Night0wl
10-14-2011, 04:20 AM
It's your fan. Clean it or replace it if needed. And tell the "other people" to do the same.

If your fan doesn't do the cooling needed, your system will slow down more and more.

Not that I don't hate IMMERSE releases, because they plainly suck compared to better releases, but they do not stutter.

iamloco724
10-14-2011, 05:07 AM
It's your fan. Clean it or replace it if needed. And tell the "other people" to do the same

If your fan doesn't do the cooling needed, your system will slow down more and more.

Not that I don't hate IMMERSE releases, because they plainly suck compared to better releases, but they do not stutter.

It has nothing to do with cooling first off happenes with no other files 2ndly im its not just my pc its my popcorn hour media player

TorrentJunky
10-15-2011, 07:32 PM
it seems your player is struggling to handle the framerate?

Progress
10-16-2011, 06:07 AM
A lot of people have problem with IMMERSE's releases, I solve the problem waiting for the Web-DL of the episode that IMMERSE pre'd.

IdolEyes787
10-16-2011, 03:38 PM
You know the joke where the punchline is "then stop doing that".

mjmacky
10-16-2011, 04:11 PM
It's your fan. Clean it or replace it if needed. And tell the "other people" to do the same

It has nothing to do with cooling first off happenes with no other files 2ndly im its not just my pc its my popcorn hour media player

That's because he didn't really bother reading your first post, or he was too ignorant to comprehend it

Anyways, Immerse has gone on and off the tracks with their quality control way too many times in the past. I just avoid downloading their, or if possible, any of the other scene releases at this point. Exceptions to this would be Bill Maher, or the Daily Show. I just recommend being patient and holding out for the web-dl's.

Night0wl
10-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Actually I bothered reading the first post and if the releases were stuttering for everyone, they would be propered. Since noone is bothering to nuke them, chances are, that they don't play well in Popcorn hour because of rendering issues and would have similar problem on PC either because of insufficient cooling or rendering issues as well. On the PC if the fan (or lacking CPU power) isn't at fault, then it could be as simple as clashing codec pack installation or using a crappy media player.

I especially noticed this line in first post "at first i thought it was my popcorn hour but i notice it on my pc too some what its not as vivid as on the player", which would imply there is a difference in how it was played back on the PC compared to the Popcorn Hour player.

I could of course have been clearer in my post, but I assure you it had nothing to do with reading comprehension skills.

mjmacky
10-16-2011, 08:55 PM
"at first i thought it was my popcorn hour but i notice it on my pc too some what its not as vivid as on the player"

Those are perceived differences plus Popcorn Hour is a hardware decoding device so actual differences could be likely for all I know. But surely assuming that everyone having issues with Immerse releases specifically translates to cooling issues cross platform (hardware) is just silly. So, yeah, I guess I was wrong. You read and comprehended the post, it was your poor performance at critical thinking that is the likely culprit.

Of course, keeping a clean and fully operational fan is good general advice. So the "other people" should be thanking you in droves. I'll dedicate the next blast of compressed air to you, even if the temperature is misrepresenting.

Night0wl
10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
"at first i thought it was my popcorn hour but i notice it on my pc too some what its not as vivid as on the player"

Those are perceived differences plus Popcorn Hour is a hardware decoding device so actual differences could be likely for all I know. But surely assuming that everyone having issues with Immerse releases specifically translates to cooling issues cross platform (hardware) is just silly. So, yeah, I guess I was wrong. You read and comprehended the post, it was your poor performance at critical thinking that is the likely culprit.

Of course, keeping a clean and fully operational fan is good general advice. So the "other people" should be thanking you in droves. I'll dedicate the next blast of compressed air to you, even if the temperature is misrepresenting.

Didn't need critical thinking. I just checked what "even more other people" were saying about its.always.sunny... releases, and since no a single soul complained in comments nor were the releases nuked or propered. I could safely arrive at a result which was fairly certain. The fact that I've had similar issues myself, because of one of the fans in an older laptop of mine, also helped me arrive at a conclusion.

Also I don't care how "hardware" the Popcorn Hour is. Please do correct me if I'm wrong in assuming it's Firmware driven i.e. software. Also remember that many groups have in recent times gone over to CRF encoding, making imho the encodes overall worse than the usual 2-pass encodes. In other words they starve parts of the encode while over-saturating other parts. Which is the reason for me writing

But then again it's clear to me what you are trying to make this thread about. You don't like me at all and I assure you the feeling is mutual.

Edit: I might add that I watch many IMMERSE releases myself and use Combined Community Codec Pack with MPC Home Cinema included. Strangely no stuttering on releases that aren't propered. Quite simply because they won the pre and that means a few days until better release.

mjmacky
10-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Also I don't care how "hardware" the Popcorn Hour is. Please do correct me if I'm wrong in assuming it's Firmware driven i.e. software. Also remember that many groups have in recent times gone over to CRF encoding, making imho the encodes overall worse than the usual 2-pass encodes. In other words they starve parts of the encode while over-saturating other parts.

Sure, I'll do that. Decoding of the video stream is handled on chip, i.e. hardware. What is handled by software is the UI, splitting the streams in the MKV container (hardware can handle m2ts streams), parsing subtitles (as examples).

As for quality differences between CRF & 2-pass, it's a mixed bag. It will be weighted for worse on CRF given the use of 19 & 20 as the rate factors, but it is heavily source dependent. All that aside, detail quality has nothing to do with experiencing glitches in playback, which have often appeared in Immerse releases. What it seems like you are trying to suggest is that the bitrate spikes beyond the capabilities of both hardware and software players, which would be unlikely. However, if you'd like to pull an analysis on the particular video file, feel free to waste your time.

But then again it's clear to me what you are trying to make this thread about. You don't like me at all and I assure you the feeling is mutual.

You make it sound like it's a special case. I don't like most people, you in particular I just don't have any respect for (on account of your story about bending over and taking it). What you've interpreted as dislike, is in reality disgust. Usually your posts are are kind of lame or just boring so I don't pay them any mind, but suggesting to clean out the fan on the PC and a popcorn hour (which is fanless unless modified) was really too silly to ignore. My response towards your posts weren't about pulling the thread into a direction allowing me to confess or display any feeling towards you, it's about your quick dismissal of there being anything wrong with immerse releases by offering a particularly unfounded explanation (given the historical context of their releases and the details provided). I simply responded in the same manner that I would respond to anybody that has earned my disgust. If you want to drag that out any further, go make a thread about it, and I'll join in if it's interesting.

Night0wl
10-17-2011, 10:46 AM
While it is 25fps problem in this case, I have to say come again with your hardware chip decoding not being dependent on software.

http://www.popcornhour.com/download/C200/02-04-110422-21-POP-408.html

- Fixed stuttering 25fps H264 video in MKV (Bug #5001993)

mjmacky
10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
That would be because they're specific instruction sets on the chip, hardware features of a chipset doesn't mean it's literally hardwired. A processor is in the end just a bunch of conductors and semi-conductors, it wouldn't do anything if you didn't have any type of firmware. It feels like you don't understand that, so are you trying to make a point or ask a question?

Secondly, read up about the difference between hardware and software decoding, in the end it basically boils down to the number of operations needed to decode.

Night0wl
10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
That would be because they're specific instruction sets on the chip, hardware features of a chipset doesn't mean it's literally hardwired. A processor is in the end just a bunch of conductors and semi-conductors, it wouldn't do anything if you didn't have any type of firmware. It feels like you don't understand that, so are you trying to make a point or ask a question?

Secondly, read up about the difference between hardware and software decoding, in the end it basically boils down to the number of operations needed to decode.

I said the Popcorn hour is software dependent, so just like on the PC, it could be a firmware ie. software problem. That's it, nothing more nothing less. I also said the IMMERSE releases, since you're so 100% sure it's not the fan, are stuttering due to software issues, since they are not nuked and propered. Also I never mentioned a single word about the Popcorn Hour not being able to keep up, because of some chip not being able to handle decoding. I said it could be due to a rendering issue, i.e. again a firmware ie. software issue. You're the one that keeps insisting on it being unlikely due to hardware decoding.

I honestly think it's you that has reading comprehension problems.

Are IMMERSE releases stuttering for you? because they aren't for me. <-- That is a question, in case you were wondering.

xJohnxSmithx
10-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Set aside Immerse and popcorn. In my experience, choppy hd video on a pc can be handled by upgrading your video card.
cheers

Artemis
10-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Set aside Immerse and popcorn. In my experience, choppy hd video on a pc can be handled by upgrading your video card.
cheers

So basically we'll just get rid of the WHOLE point of the thread, just so that you can have your say, even if it has very little to do with the topic.

IdolEyes787
10-18-2011, 01:10 AM
I think post number 6 has a lot of validity to it.

Night0wl
10-18-2011, 01:24 AM
The OP also has part of the fault for the derailment of this thread, since he doesn't even bother saying what kind of setup he has. Popcorn Hour comes in several flavors (pun intended) and he has said nothing about whether it's up to date. He also mentions nothing more than that he tried it on a PC, not mentioning what kind or for that matter whether it's 1 or 10 years old, nor what kind of codec's he has on it, nor what media player he used or if he tried more than one media player. All of these things would be nice to know when dealing with an issue pertaining to them.

For all we know, it could be down to only the PC since he has that linked to his Popcorn Hour. Or he downloads directly to his Popcorn Hour and it ruins the files before he moves them to PC.

I mod at another support forum and this is how pretty much every support thread with lacking info unfolds. Either lots of guessing or standardized answers which may or may not help at all.

mjmacky
10-18-2011, 01:42 AM
I said the Popcorn hour is software dependent, so just like on the PC, it could be a firmware ie. software problem. That's it, nothing more nothing less. I also said the IMMERSE releases, since you're so 100% sure it's not the fan, are stuttering due to software issues, since they are not nuked and propered. Also I never mentioned a single word about the Popcorn Hour not being able to keep up, because of some chip not being able to handle decoding. I said it could be due to a rendering issue, i.e. again a firmware ie. software issue. You're the one that keeps insisting on it being unlikely due to hardware decoding.

I honestly think it's you that has reading comprehension problems.

Are IMMERSE releases stuttering for you? because they aren't for me. <-- That is a question, in case you were wondering.

You seem to have lost your way completely. Everything electronic has some type software dependency, making your utterance overly redundant. If you are going to stumble will you at least make it look comical rather than uninspiring. PCH will decode and render any scene release appropriately. The insistence, as you have incorrectly interpreted, is that assuming playback problems cross-platform and using differing decoding methods would indicate hardware errors (thermal in this case) is an absurd stance to start on.

Since you had missed it earlier, I have observed many problems with immerse encodes in the past, and therefore, no longer snatch their releases. Let me know if your lack of comprehension of post 7 make a repeat performance in this very short paragraph. If OP wants to come back in and name a particular release, and additionally identify a specific time point, I might partake in confirmation. He, however, vaguely names only immerse releases; a particular classification that introduces no surprise.

Night0wl
10-18-2011, 02:30 AM
And still you dance around my question. Have you encountered stuttering in a non nuked IMMERSE release? I have encountered lots of small (and some larger) glitches as well as plain bad quality, but no stuttering. I haven't encountered stuttering on a single non-nuked release, IMMERSE or otherwise, apart from when my laptop fan was at fault.

It's a really simple question. I don't know why it's so hard to answer.

PCH will decode and render any scene release appropriately.

Obviously it doesn't or this thread wouldn't exist. Last I looked, IMMERSE was still scene although shameful scene.

Edit: as for thermal problems I specifically meant on the PC, like I mentioned in my second post in this thread. Post 8 in case you forgot

mjmacky
10-18-2011, 04:18 AM
And still you dance around my question

It's a really simple question. I don't know why it's so hard to answer.

To state for now the 3rd time, I haven't downloaded an immerse release in quite some time (if forced to guess, maybe a year), how do the implications of that seem to escape you in such steadfast conviction? Do you have a disability, or are you purposely playing the part of a moron for trolling purposes? If so, good job sir, for you have made me believe I was conversing with an idiot.

As to your curiosity of stuttering issues as a result of poor encoding practices (as relates to the topic at hand), I've seen what appears to be stutter on recent hannibal and tla releases. These were cases where I had no other options/sources for An Idiot Abroad. I don't know if it is source related, sourcing related or encoding related, but was a defect on the file and not of the playback devices.

Night0wl
10-18-2011, 05:26 AM
So you are basing your conclusion that my advise is bad on 1 year old experiences with IMMERSE.

I have downloaded many IMMERSE releases this year and have not once seen what I consider stuttering.

mjmacky
10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
And the doorknob strikes again

Night0wl
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Did you write that solely to get the last word. It isn't really adding to the discussion.

Edit: adding the quote so it's at least twice as long even though it doesn't add anything

And the doorknob strikes again

mjmacky
10-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Did you write that solely to get the last word. It isn't really adding to the discussion.

There hasn't been one really since you stepped in, thanks a lot wall.

Night0wl
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM

There hasn't been one really since you stepped in, thanks a lot wall.

You're usually so rich with words. What has come over you?

mjmacky
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM

An overwhelming impulse to desist, since so far it has been as pleasurable but not as productive as a menstrual cramp. The matter of my prolonging it unnecessarily has confounded me, and the realization has predicated my task to assure its conclusion. I have now spent my bank.

Night0wl
10-19-2011, 12:01 AM

An overwhelming impulse to desist, since so far it has been as pleasurable but not as productive as a menstrual cramp. The matter of my prolonging it unnecessarily has confounded me, and the realization has predicated my task to assure its conclusion. I have now spent my bank.

Damn, mjmacky is broken. Now we need to find someone new to argue over the internet with :(

mjmacky
10-19-2011, 12:53 AM
No seriously, there's blood in my snatch. I need some assistance

Night0wl
10-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Just wait a few days. I'm sure you'll be back to your old self by then.

IdolEyes787
10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I think that I can't settle your argument by saying with absolute certainty no one really cares one way or the other.

Night0wl
10-20-2011, 12:21 AM
We know that, but nothing beats arguing over the internet. It's a great way to relax and if you're lucky, you'll even get to LOL!!! for real. Seriously try it. Just come up with some other reason why it's the posters/releases fault instead of dulling down the thread even more.

mjmacky
10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
I just thought of something else. He should probably unplug all his USB devices because I remember I had all these USB devices plugged in one time and my video was stuttering so tell OP to unplug all his USB devices. Also tell everyone else you know to unplug all your USB devices.

Anyways, asked my buddy if he noticed anything that looks like stuttering on immerse releases lately and he confirmed. That's all I needed, actual story. Took like 15 seconds to cover the topic.

Night0wl
10-20-2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah right. I bet you forgot to ask him to unplug all his USB devices and checking again. In fact I have no USB devices attached most of the time and don't get stutter. So congratulations, you solved the thread :D

Only problem is what the fuck are we gonna do now? Any ideas for a new project?

mjmacky
10-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Join immerse

Night0wl
10-20-2011, 12:37 AM
No, this is much more fun. Joining IMMERSE would mean I would have to leave you, because sceners hate BT. Didn't you know that?

mjmacky
10-20-2011, 05:46 AM
No, this is much more fun. Joining IMMERSE would mean I would have to leave you, because sceners hate BT. Didn't you know that?

I tend to ignore the hypocrisy of the scene's supposed principled stance, in that they despise bt because of files that get "leaked". In reality, they wouldn't want to give up the relevance bt and filesharing in general give them.

Funkin'
10-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Only problem is what the fuck are we gonna do now?

My prediction is that you and macky are fast on your way to kissing and making up. Possibly even a date night in the near future. I recommend curling underneath a blanket together and watching Bridesmaids.

IdolEyes787
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Just come up with some other reason why it's the posters/releases fault instead of dulling down the thread even more.

I think that would probably be impossible.
Actually I'm thinking the only way to make it any duller is either the addition of a realtime webcam showing paint drying or hotshotnumbernumbernumbernumber showing up to enlighten us all on HD encodes.

mjmacky
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
hotbeefinjection1234 is the champion of everything HDTV, mentioning his name scares me, please... no more startling

IdolEyes787
10-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I have it on good authority that if you stand in front of a mirror and say "HDbits" five times he will appear.
The legend also says that he has 50 inch LED screens for hands and seeks his bloody retribution over being forced to watch SD as a child.

mjmacky
10-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I have it on good authority that if you stand in front of a mirror and say "HDbits" five times he will appear.
The legend also says that he has 50 inch LED screens for hands and seeks his bloody retribution over being forced to watch SD as a child.

Is that the same myth where 99% of scenem and feces "leak" from his body?

iamloco724
11-07-2011, 04:40 AM
The OP also has part of the fault for the derailment of this thread, since he doesn't even bother saying what kind of setup he has. Popcorn Hour comes in several flavors (pun intended) and he has said nothing about whether it's up to date. He also mentions nothing more than that he tried it on a PC, not mentioning what kind or for that matter whether it's 1 or 10 years old, nor what kind of codec's he has on it, nor what media player he used or if he tried more than one media player. All of these things would be nice to know when dealing with an issue pertaining to them.

For all we know, it could be down to only the PC since he has that linked to his Popcorn Hour. Or he downloads directly to his Popcorn Hour and it ruins the files before he moves them to PC.

I mod at another support forum and this is how pretty much every support thread with lacking info unfolds. Either lots of guessing or standardized answers which may or may not help at all.

hate to drag this back up especially since it got so hostile but i would like to reply to this statement i didnt see all these replies as i had a family emergency to attend to

but i understand that there releases might not be stuttering for everyone but its definitely something with how they encode there videos its that simple its only there release and yes testing on my pc isnt a great test cause it is a little older but i tried on popcorn hour a-110 up to date ive tried on popcorn hour a-210 up to date ive tried on dune hd smart h1 up to date and ive tried on the new popcorn hour a-300 up to date thats 4 different players and i believe 4 different processors and same issue and i dont stream my media i play it locally on the device

so yes the hardware might not be able to handle whatever it is there doing with there encodes but its them thats encoding it differently then any other group that is my point and problem and i guess nothing i can do about that dont think theres anything i can do to the file so only option seems is to deal with it or wait for web dl what sucks is for some shows there is no web dl like hbo shows or showtime

Funkin'
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
What's up with the no proper capitalization and punctuation? Do you have any idea how frustrating posts like yours are to read?

I wish I could reach through my computer screen and punch you.

P.S. Congrats on making my hatred for you my 3,000th post.

iamloco724
11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
What's up with the no proper capitalization and punctuation? Do you have any idea how frustrating posts like yours are to read?

Ok thats great thanks for your useless contribution to this thread

mjmacky
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Be glad you don't examine SAT essays on a rubric.

Someone I know who still catches scene releases also had what he'd describe as stuttering issues. I forgot to reply back to this thread... rather I just didn't care enough to.

Night0wl
11-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Ever since the scene moved to this new way of encoding I have not been impressed by the quality. Not stuttering but moderate encoding glitches at times and just plain bad quality. Like one of the latest The Walking Dead IMMERSE, where there is some severe frame skipping a few times for a few seconds. Especially noticeable after they leave the church while looking for the girl and there is a shot moving through the tree branches. I still doubt that this is what the OP means, since it's for maybe 4-5 seconds in total through an entire episode. I noticed the same thing from DiMENSiON group. All in all the scene has gone to shit because they starve the encodes way too much with no logic behind it. Seriously the newest NCIS is 836MB while HIMYM is 863MB at half the lenght. What's up with that?

mjmacky
11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Web-DL's being the only other option as p2p groups don't typically have access to captures. There are so many groups encoding movies out there, wish they'd seek these captures giving some TV variety rather than saturation of movie encodes.

iamloco724
11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Ever since the scene moved to this new way of encoding I have not been impressed by the quality. Not stuttering but moderate encoding glitches at times and just plain bad quality. Like one of the latest The Walking Dead IMMERSE, where there is some severe frame skipping a few times for a few seconds. Especially noticeable after they leave the church while looking for the girl and there is a shot moving through the tree branches. I still doubt that this is what the OP means, since it's for maybe 4-5 seconds in total through an entire episode. I noticed the same thing from DiMENSiON group. All in all the scene has gone to shit because they starve the encodes way too much with no logic behind it. Seriously the newest NCIS is 836MB while HIMYM is 863MB at half the lenght. What's up with that?

that skipping is what i see but through the whole ep and all episodes of theres..walking dead is especially bad as is always sunny like i said to begin with

Night0wl
11-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Seems WEB-DL is the only way to go e.g. the new episode The.Walking.Dead.S02E04.Cherokee.Rose.720p.WEB-DL Just Google it if you don't have torrent site access to it or the site you can get it on is a bitch to seed on.

edit: Just curious but do these releases show up on BTN?

iamloco724
11-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Seems WEB-DL is the only way to go e.g. the new episode The.Walking.Dead.S02E04.Cherokee.Rose.720p.WEB-DL Just Google it if you don't have torrent site access to it or the site you can get it on is a bitch to seed on.

edit: Just curious but do these releases show up on BTN?

yea seems like the only option...btn has ton of web dl

mjmacky
11-08-2011, 12:21 AM
BTN's a beauteen

Night0wl
11-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Damn, then I have to find an invite. Wasn't planning on signing up to any more sites ever, but rather cut down on the ones I'm already on.

iamloco724
11-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Damn, then I have to find an invite. Wasn't planning on signing up to any more sites ever, but rather cut down on the ones I'm already on.

think btn disabled invites for now

Night0wl
11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
I doubt they stop recruiting just because they don't let users invite. Anyway i guess it's just wait and see because I asked someone. I ignored every invite offer thinking I didn't need it before, but BMTV is just so hard to seed on. Not the end of the world though, since they can be found elsewhere. It's just more of a hassle that way.

In the perfect world there would be one site for everything. Unfortunately Utopia is far off still.

iamloco724
11-08-2011, 12:59 AM
I doubt they stop recruiting just because they don't let users invite. Anyway i guess it's just wait and see because I asked someone. I ignored every invite offer thinking I didn't need it before, but BMTV is just so hard to seed on. Not the end of the world though, since they can be found elsewhere. It's just more of a hassle that way.

In the perfect world there would be one site for everything. Unfortunately Utopia is far off still.

tv torrents ro is good to if you can get an invite on there

mjmacky
11-08-2011, 03:02 AM
BTN invites can only be sent by power users "and above", and only when the site meets their donation goals methinks.