PDA

View Full Version : "Complete" incomplete files ... wtf?

Hypatia
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
So...i needed to download a certain 720p BDRip posted 988 days ago.

Just to be cautious i checked it via nzb checker\completion. 100% complete on AW
Then i fed it to a newsreader and went shopping.. What did i see when i was back?Every single file was incomplete YET there were NO messages "article not found".As if they had been posted incomplete back then.i couldnt even open several archives.

PS i tried downloading via newsleecher and it reports that "Article part (#156) downloaded but seems to contain CRC error(s)"

Well, it seems there are LOADS of CRC errors on this one lol

PPS oh well..i managed to repair it on newshosting(!) rofl usually its the other way around

mesaman
10-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Paste a msg-id here and I'll probably be able to tell you what hardware or software bug damaged it.

I've never accepted that there are Usenet gremlins that can't be fathomed, I always troubleshoot until I have a culprit identified.

Certain bugs were much more common a few years ago. One particularly nasty one was finally killed when I persuaded a software developer to work on a fix.

Hypatia
10-14-2011, 08:51 PM
here is nzb (http://www.mysterbin.com/search?q=Drumline.2002.Extended.720p.BluRay.x264-SiNNERS), the one posted 900+days ago

mesaman
10-14-2011, 10:47 PM
It's an Astraweb issue that I haven't seen before; many of the articles have no bodies, only headers, and they're defective only on the EU servers. Steve F. would probably say there was a hardware problem, and it might have been corrected years ago. If you happen to find those bodyless articles on recent posts it should be reported to AW support. If you had the US server configured as a backup in Newsleecher you might not have noticed anything was wrong.

Hypatia
10-14-2011, 11:07 PM
i had US sever as a backup..it didnt help much)
i tested via US server several rars and they all were incomplete from the very beginning

mesaman
10-15-2011, 12:40 AM
You're right US server has them too but not as many.