PDA

View Full Version : Monitor with HDMI input

abe171
10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new monitor for my desktop. Around 20-23" widescreen and it should have 2 inputs, one should be HDMI and the other can either be a HDMI or dvi. Suggestions?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

mjmacky
10-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new monitor for my desktop. Around 20-23" widescreen and it should have 2 inputs, one should be HDMI and the other can either be a HDMI or dvi. Suggestions?

There are only 2 reasons you would need HDMI, you have speakers on your monitor or you have a device that only outputs through HDMI. So basically, you're going to have to find a monitor with speakers or forego the HDMI input.

megabyteme
10-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I haven't had a need to replace my monitor in 5-7 years (it is only now just starting to develop problems that would warrant its replacement). I have been eying Asus LCDs for the past couple years, and have to say- based on 1000-ish reviews on Newegg for each of their top selling monitors (which just happen to be in your size range) I'm sold on them.

Check out this link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%2050001315&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20) (which I have sorted to "most reviews").

Good luck, let us know what you end up going with...

EDIT- As a technical note, DVI and HDMI are compatible with use of a HDMI-DVI or DVI-HDMI adapter without signal loss (only up to 1.3a, unless I'm mistaken). So, don't let HDMI be your only reason for choosing a particular monitor. Amazon sells the adapters reasonably, if I remember correctly (~$10-12).

Because HDMI is electrically compatible with the CEA-861 signals used by digital visual interface (DVI), no signal conversion is necessary, nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI-to-HDMI adapter is used.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#cite_note-HDMI2006SpecsAppC-4)

Artemis
10-29-2011, 06:02 AM

There are only 2 reasons you would need HDMI, you have speakers on your monitor or you have a device that only outputs through HDMI. So basically, you're going to have to find a monitor with speakers or forego the HDMI input.

There are quite a few monitors now with multiple digital inputs (HDMI/DVI) with the ability to switch between them, but unless you are using the monitor for audio or 3D, then there is as mjmacky said no difference between HDMI and DVI.
The speakers on computer monitors in general are low powered and not anywhere near the capabilities of a decent set of desktop speakers anyway, the only advantage is in reducing desktop clutter.

zot
10-30-2011, 08:09 AM
There's been speculation that the opensource/royalty-free DisplayPort could replace (non-free) HDMI/DVI in future monitors.