PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Note - 5.3" HD S AMOLED

iLOVENZB
10-28-2011, 03:12 PM
At first I thought it was a tablet revision turns out it's gonna be Samsung's new beast phone!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/samsung-galaxy-note-review/

Engadget reviewed it and it seems the main cons is the size and stylus. Still for a phone that will rape our wallet of ~$1k I hope that all the issues ;).

RRP is said to be $1,099.00 and the first store to sell it (MobiCity (http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/405651/mobicity_first_sell_world_exclusive_samsung_galaxy_note/)) has it for $899. After some scrounging around you can find it slightly cheaper, $824 (which includes warranty) - BecexTech (http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1288)

Not sure my opinions on this, I'm hoping some FST Hardware regulars can steer me away from making a purchase. Not sure how Samsumg are expecting this to fit in our pockets.

Skiz
10-28-2011, 03:21 PM
You need someone to talk you out of buying a $900 cell phone? :blink:

Why not just buy the Samsung Galaxy SII with a 4.3" screen for $200, especially if you see the 5.3" screen as being a con?

mjmacky
10-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Not sure how Samsumg are expecting this to fit in our pockets.

Are you asking because they said it?

the 1280 x 800 pixels you once could only get with a full-size laptop (or in the Galaxy Tab 10.1) can now slide comfortably into your front pocket.

Maybe just suggesting bigger pockets?

megabyteme
10-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm hoping some FST Hardware regulars can steer me away from making a purchase. Not sure how Samsumg are expecting this to fit in our pockets.

This was enough to drive me away from it:

Awkward to use for voice calls

Just picture yourself walking around, talking to your friends with a lunch tray pressed against your ear.

LockeJohn
10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
For me this "phone", it's more a tablet, wants to reach a very few pepole that has a particular needs. Take note and not use a portable pc.
It's a strange device (I'm not saying that is not good) because it wants to be a phone and a tablet, but at the end is neither one nor the other. I've the idea that's i'll not have a huge market.

mjmacky
10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I already predicted tablets will start shrinking while phones will start growing.
We're soon to have phoblets

Artemis
10-28-2011, 08:52 PM
You need someone to talk you out of buying a $900 cell phone? :blink:

Why not just buy the Samsung Galaxy SII with a 4.3" screen for $200, especially if you see the 5.3" screen as being a con?

He's in Australia so the price is ALOT higher for smartphones in general Samsung in particular. But then Samsung and Google have just released the Nexus Prime, the new Samsung/Google smartphone with a 4.65" screen but no change in form factor from the Galaxy SII. This is the first phone to feature 'Ice Cream Sandwich' the new Android 4.0 operating system along with alot of other improvements. Personally I would opt for the Nexus Prime out of the choices available atm, even with the just released iPhone 4 revamp, the 4S.

iLOVENZB
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Just picture yourself walking around, talking to your friends with a lunch tray pressed against your ear.

kitsunisan
11-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Not sure my opinions on this, I'm hoping some FST Hardware regulars can steer me away from making a purchase. Not sure how Samsumg are expecting this to fit in our pockets.
Samsung has a history of abandoning devices to force users to buy their next one, see the original Galaxy phones. Took the thread of class action lawsuits to get the Vibrant updated.

Cabalo
11-24-2011, 04:47 PM
It's not only samsung, for that matter. That's why there is an agreement between Google and some OEMs to keep releasing updated versions of android for their terminals during 18 months since the phone is released.

For example, I have the LG optimus 3D and I got upgraded to gingerbread only 3 days ago.

Regarding the Note, it's way too large for a phone and too small for a tablet. So, what exactly is it?