PDA

View Full Version : Boss

clocker
10-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Boss stars Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago, recently diagnosed with an incurable Alzheimers-like disease.
Thematically it's kind of the bastard child of Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad, set in current times (wanna bet they squeeze in an OWS sideplot at some point?).

Based only on the pilot (Starz, Friday nights), Boss could be a worthwhile investment- Kelsey Grammer was quite convincing as he chewed through the Chicago scenery and the concept
leaves plenty of room for weirdness.
We'll see where it goes.

IdolEyes787
10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Two words that prevent me from watching it: Kelsey Grammer.

mjmacky
10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Six words that made me curious about this show: Mean looking mug of Kelsey Grammer.

This is one of the shows I'll give several episodes to work out, and see if it's worth my time.

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 01:37 AM
We'll see where it goes.

As usual, your recs carry substantial weight on my viewing. I'll give this (completely unknown to me prior to your post) one a shot. Looks like it is about 3 eps in so far, so that will make for a good start.

Thanks for the heads-up, c!

dairack
11-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Boss stars Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago, recently diagnosed with an incurable Alzheimers-like disease.
Thematically it's kind of the bastard child of Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad, set in current times (wanna bet they squeeze in an OWS sideplot at some point?).

Based only on the pilot (Starz, Friday nights), Boss could be a worthwhile investment- Kelsey Grammer was quite convincing as he chewed through the Chicago scenery and the concept
leaves plenty of room for weirdness.
We'll see where it goes.

I've seen the first couple episodes and I'm already hooked. I'm sure if you give it a chance clocker, you'll be hooked as well. can't wait for tonight's episode

there's a cool giveaway taking place right now for BOSS fans. making money from watching a great tv show? sign me up please. here's the link for anyone interested - modernman.com/boss-giveaway-contest-revenue-increases

Grammer's performance is stellar - Emmy-nomination worthy to say the least IMO. does anyone else think so?

I'm helping STARZ spread the word about this series so let me know if anyone has questions.

---
Derek

IdolEyes787
11-05-2011, 12:03 AM
There you have it a totally unbiased opinion with absolutely no thinly disguised agenda or anything.
Next up Mr. Christie informs me that cookies are really great and I should make it a point to eat some.:mellow:

Funkin'
11-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I keep meaning to tune on this one as I've always dug Kelsey and would like to see him in a different role besides a prissy shrink. Thanks for the reminder, clock.

dairack
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
There you have it a totally unbiased opinion with absolutely no thinly disguised agenda or anything.
Next up Mr. Christie informs me that cookies are really great and I should make it a point to eat some.:mellow:

Haha @ the Mr Christie joke! I'll tell you upfront that my agenda is to spread the word about BOSS. It's a great series!

IdolEyes787
11-07-2011, 06:33 PM
You said that already Derrick or maybe I've unknowingly been plunged into a Black Hole where the very fabric of time has been rent asunder and like in the movie Groundhog Day my last twenty-four is playing over and over again.

If so I will use this rare occurrence wisely and do as many stupid things as humanly or even inhumanly possible in the blissful knowledge that everything will be forgotten when things return to normal.:)
If not then I'd like to apologize to your Mom in advance.

Two reasons why Boss is better than the original Beverly Hills 90210 (http://cdn04.cdn.egotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/kathleen-robertson-boss-cap-08-830x466.jpg).

You know after waiting a decade for that I feel vaguely let down.:mellow:

mjmacky
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
This show doesn't get my vote

Being that the airing of episodes got a head start on me and I was bedridden for nearly a week with some kind of Flucolditis, I jumped into 3 episodes of this series. The only reason I watched 2 and 3 is because I already grabbed them and everything else in my library was pretty exhausted. I found the show entirely uninspiring. Now I'm not marking this down as a bad show, nor am I attacking the acting. I just haven't found a single character to be that complex, and the sleazy politics is not something that can keep my interest on its own merits as a storyline. By the 45th minute of the 3rd episode I did find myself just skipping to the end. I'm disappointed yet again.

IdolEyes787
11-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Have you considered watching Louie? I hear that it's pretty good.

mjmacky
11-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Whoever told you that is tremendously underselling it. Perhaps you could finally write up some kind of raving review.

IdolEyes787
11-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Whoever told you that is tremendously underselling it. Perhaps you could finally write up some kind of raving review.

It's on TV tonight and if I remember to I'm going to record it.:O

This is the episode (http://www.avclub.com/articles/hecklercop-movie,43339/) .I didn't read the synopsis btw so I enter with no expectation other than your proven lack of taste.:)

I'm praying to any god that will listen that I don't like it or else I will have to reassess my position that you are entirely full of shit.:)

mjmacky
11-29-2011, 01:36 AM
It's on TV tonight and if I remember to I'm going to record it.:O

This is the episode (http://www.avclub.com/articles/hecklercop-movie,43339/) .I didn't read the synopsis btw so I enter with no expectation other than your proven lack of taste.:)

I'm praying to any god that will listen that I don't like it or else I will have to reassess my position that you are entirely full of shit.:)

I would reimburse you for the cost of a VHS tape, but I assume you'll just be recording over an old Seinfeld episode. As far as taste goes, I think a lot of my buds are dead. I don't really care for much of the content going down.

IdolEyes787
01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
OK so I broke down and watched a few episodes. Grammer's good but then I always considered him to be an overblown,unlikeable egotist so he's hardly playing against type.
Other than that Boss is just another one of those "cable " shows that is instantly given credit for being far better than it is because it has been given enough leeway to throw in a few swear words ,some gratuitous nudity and a little ugly violence .Otherwise stuff like this has been done to death and by far more talented people.

Boss is not a bad show but I'm more than a little sick of all the contrived "edginess" so prevalent today.

mjmacky
01-04-2012, 07:04 AM
As far as taste goes, I think a lot of my buds are dead. I don't really care for much of the content going down.

I would like to post a retraction of this statement, I have no flippin' idea what it means. I must have been in the 30th hour or pretty drunk or something, I just can't decode it.

As for Idol not liking Boss, I could see that coming. You see, he and I have very similar tastes, like we're both huge fans of the show Louie. I tried to subtly warn him by expressing my disinterest in Boss in a reflexive sense, but I think he missed that it was directed towards him.

OK, that is all.

Artemis
01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
As far as taste goes, I think a lot of my buds are dead. I don't really care for much of the content going down.

I would like to post a retraction of this statement, I have no flippin' idea what it means. I must have been in the 30th hour or pretty drunk or something, I just can't decode it.

As for Idol not liking Boss, I could see that coming. You see, he and I have very similar tastes, like we're both huge fans of the show Louie. I tried to subtly warn him by expressing my disinterest in Boss in a reflexive sense, but I think he missed that it was directed towards him.

OK, that is all.

You haven't by any chance triggered the Halon fire suppression system in your lab lately by any chance and then been confused and unable to find the door for a few minutes ? :blink:

IdolEyes787
01-04-2012, 12:16 PM

In fairness people say that about most of your posts

As for Idol not liking Boss, I could see that coming. You see, he and I have very similar tastes, like we're both huge fans of the show Louie.

It's true you know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115251/

Also stuff that in your crack pipes and smoke it Breaking Badittes

OK, that is all. I very much doubt it.:(

mjmacky
01-04-2012, 01:15 PM

In fairness people say that about most of your posts

As for Idol not liking Boss, I could see that coming. You see, he and I have very similar tastes, like we're both huge fans of the show Louie.

It's true you know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115251/

Yes, but it's a problem when I can't figure it out and it fails to amuse me (which all of my posts usually do).

Anyways, you went and borked the imdb linking, and it's point to the wrong Louie Anderson show; here's the correction:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112047/