PDA

View Full Version : missing blocks with 2 providers?

inc188
10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
hi everyone

lately i getting this bloody missing blocks. Previously i had one provider which i use to dl but then i added another provider for higher speeds but now almost all of my files have either 1 or 2 missing blocks.

i have no clue how to fix this

thanks for your help

mjmacky
10-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Would help to list the release. There is always the possibility that there was a posting error, does the post "author" seem recognizable or like they're an amateur/new at it?

inc188
10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
hey mjmacky... thanks for the reply

its definitely not the nzb... i am very sure there is something up with using the two different servers to download.

if i just use my original server everthing works fine and no missing blocks..... and as soon as i connect to the secondary networking in conjunction with my primary i get ONE freaking missing block

cola
10-30-2011, 01:14 AM
What two providers are you using?

inc188
10-30-2011, 07:14 AM
one is isp which works great and the other is a free usenet provider

zot
10-30-2011, 07:18 AM
(hopefully this question is purely academic, since any missing blocks can be fixed with Par2 files)

What usenet client are you using and how are you configuring the servers?

Some clients (for example Grabit) that support multiple simultaneous servers do not cross-check/cross-fill missing parts; therefore you'd be better off using only one server (the better one) than two servers. To make proper use of multiple servers, you need a client that supports fill servers

filesharingtalk.com/threads/435338-List-of-Usenet-Clients-that-support-fill-servers

Hopefully not Giganews/Supernews and Highwinds -- and downloading HBO shows. :pinch:

inc188
11-01-2011, 10:46 PM
(hopefully this question is purely academic, since any missing blocks can be fixed with Par2 files)

What usenet client are you using and how are you configuring the servers?

Some clients (for example Grabit) that support multiple simultaneous servers do not cross-check/cross-fill missing parts; therefore you'd be better off using only one server (the better one) than two servers. To make proper use of multiple servers, you need a client that supports fill servers

filesharingtalk.com/threads/435338-List-of-Usenet-Clients-that-support-fill-servers

Hopefully not Giganews/Supernews and Highwinds -- and downloading HBO shows. :pinch:

hey zot

i have ran and ran and ran the par2 file and that is how i know it has missing blocks. it wont even attempt to fix it

i am using alt.binz.. and according to the link it should be supporting multiple servers

mjmacky
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
i have ran and ran and ran the par2 file and that is how i know it has missing blocks. it wont even attempt to fix it

i am using alt.binz.. and according to the link it should be supporting multiple servers

First of all, you mentioned you were only missing 1 or 2 blocks. If you're missing any blocks, that Alt.binz picks up on, it will start grabbing some of the recovery par2 files. Now even after it does that, and Alt.binz doesn't automatically repair your files, than just go for it manually. If you don't already have it, I recommend downloading QuickPar, a program any binary newsgroup user should have at their disposal (IMO). Then you simply need to double click on the primary par2 file (assuming you have already grabbed some of the par2 recovery volumes). Then click repair.

inc188
11-01-2011, 11:52 PM
when i said i ran the par2 files i meant i used quick par and it could not repair them..

i have not grabbed the recovery files or know how to grab them... i will look for those ...

B18C5
11-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Pars files are the recovery files.

*.vol00+01.par2
*.vol01+02.par2
*.vol03+04.par2
*.vol07+08.par2
*.vol15+12.par2

How many blocks are you missing? The par2's identify how many blocks they have by the last number. So, these files have 1, 2, 4, 8 repair blocks. When you're missing data blocks, you need one par repair block per missing data block. Quickpar can tell you how many data blocks and how many repair blocks you have on hand.

If the first block of every file is missing, this typically means the files were damaged on purpose by the news server because of DMCA requests. It usually means the PARS are also damaged so, the total block count each par can provide is normally minus one what the file reports. The smallest par2 is usually not deliverable then.

What I'd suggest to you do is to verify the number of blocks your server can deliver for the files before you even start downloading them. If you get close to missing 5-10%, you might want to think twice about downloading the files. Newsbin can verify the block counts. I'm sure there are other NZB checkers out there too. Basically run the NZB checker against your 2 servers and see what percentage of the blocks they can deliver.

Keep in mind that some Virus scanners will damage the data as you download. Kaspersky and Avast can both F your downloads up unless you tell them to leave your downloaders connections alone.

mjmacky
11-02-2011, 12:13 AM
i have not grabbed the recovery files or know how to grab them... i will look for those ...

I see, you can't repair anything without them, so that's the next thing to learn. They are usually labeled volxx+yy.par2 at the end, xx & yy being double or triple digit numbers (including 0's, e.g. blahblahblah.vol003+04.par2)

How many blocks are you missing? ...
If the first block of every file is missing...

He said one or two blocks, but it'd be scarier to think he was missing a block from every part, time to change usenet service provider in that case.

B18C5
11-02-2011, 12:25 AM
He said one or two blocks, but it'd be scarier to think he was missing a block from every part, time to change usenet service provider in that case.

It wasn't clear if he was missing 1-2 blocks including the PAR files or not. He could be missing 2 to finish but, still be missing 20-30 total data blocks.

mjmacky
11-02-2011, 12:29 AM
It wasn't clear if he was missing 1-2 blocks including the PAR files or not. He could be missing 2 to finish but, still be missing 20-30 total data blocks.

Post #9 just before yours, he hadn't grabbed any of the other PAR files just yet.

JustDOSE
11-02-2011, 03:11 AM
one is isp which works great and the other is a free usenet provider

their is your problem... free servers/trial servers are crap, (this not apply to top trial providers like giganews and ISP servers), buy a 10$ server and your problems will be solved. dont be cheap