PDA

View Full Version : Comments for a card.

NotLettingItGo
10-30-2011, 01:18 PM
A bloke I know has just been diagnosed with lung cancer, and very thoughtfully one of the lovely ladies we know has purchased for him a get well soon card... cause she's a woman I suppose... notoriously stupid and thoughtless and all that... anyway it gets better, she's got loads of people to sign this card for him... and all the women have written sentiments such as "get well soon" inside of the card... cause like it's only lung cancer innit.

I went with "I hope it's not a too painful and nasty death for you"... was I too harsh? My wife thinks I was :unsure:

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I can only hope you receive the same kind of "thoughtfulness" when your testicles rot off and your asshole fills with tumors. :wub:

Hope is something one should never take from another- sometimes, it's all someone has left. Even if that hope is fantasy (isn't it often?) why hurt someone in a weakened state (like Texas, for example...)?

As for the women, they could have at least offered to blow him. Or included naked pics of themselves- or of a more attractive friend. You know...make themselves of some use.

As those kinds of cards go, I typically just sign my name. I imagine it is better to know people are thinking of you than to receive an empty card.

NotLettingItGo
10-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it.
- Ronald Spiers

Although I look forward in hope that the women who sign any such card for me take your advice.

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 04:36 PM
In order:

I don't think Hallmark has a Nietzsche section.

I doubt your co-worker is gearing up to go fight the Afghans.

I hear some of 'em can cook, too. :idunno:

Quarterquack
10-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

I've gone around for years telling people about this awesome quote. Telling them about the negativity of hope. Telling them about books they can read about concentration camps in WWII that do nothing to refute the concept of hope.
But never, not in all my years of holding on to this opinion, have I heard someone else quote that specific Nietzsche quote. Good on you.

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 05:32 PM
But never, not in all my years of holding on to this opinion, have I heard someone else quote that specific Nietzsche quote.

That's probably since it's a boneheaded quote.

Quarterquack
10-30-2011, 05:52 PM
But never, not in all my years of holding on to this opinion, have I heard someone else quote that specific Nietzsche quote.

That's probably since it's a boneheaded quote.

Not really. Psychologically hope is a very, very twisted thing to hold on to.
There's a difference between hopes and wishes. Hopes drive people insane. Wishes drive people to do great things.

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Not really. Psychologically hope is a very, very twisted thing to hold on to.
There's a difference between hopes and wishes. Hopes drive people insane. Wishes drive people to do great things.

The concentration camps were closed one-by-one when the Allied Forces arrived, and liberated the areas. While many before them had hopes which failed them, the last set of people did have those hopes realized. Word of coming Allies had to raise the spirits of those in the camps. Ever sit in a room with depressed people? How did that help your day? How about a group of people looking forward to good things coming? There is a HUGE difference. Ever take a group of down-trodden, and fire them up? Their spirits improved because you gave them hope for something better.

What "great things" do you think can be achieved in a concentration camp through wishes? Don't blame hope, blame Nazis or cancer for the evils occurring.

You aren't going to remove human emotions from people. It's just part of the equation, and a huge one at that.

Quarterquack
10-30-2011, 06:16 PM
People who hung on to hopes in concentration camps, and kept setting dates for which they hoped to be saved by, to hope for the war to end went crazy. Many of them suicided.
People who expected the worst in the same camps, but still knew they'd be saved were the ones who made it out. The books you read and the stories you hear aren't very depressing just because those camps were an awful place. They're also depressing because the narrative is sourced from people who accepted death, hoped for it to be swift, but still wished that it weren't so and that the allies would pull them out.

Removing emotions wasn't the concept that Reject/Myself/Nietzsche recommend. It's like saying remove hatred or sadness because they're useless emotions. What I'm suggesting is completely different: Equate hope with those two emotions, and despise it the same.

Quarterquack
10-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Just the same in this case. Hoping for remission is going to destroy whatever other possible space for positive reinforcement is left in that man. Once he abandons it and accepts his fate, he'll realize he hung on to the wrong emotion for too long. It would be far more sensible to hang on to love, humor, and being content than using the flip-side of the desperation coin.

NotLettingItGo
10-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Just the same in this case. Hoping for remission is going to destroy whatever other possible space for positive reinforcement is left in that man. Once he abandons it and accepts his fate, he'll realize he hung on to the wrong emotion for too long. It would be far more sensible to hang on to love, humor, and being content than using the flip-side of the desperation coin.

As per the first sentence of my second quote :-)

IdolEyes787
10-30-2011, 07:00 PM

I guess it's confirmed ,something that I suspected all along ,that Darth Rings is indeed hopeless.

NotLettingItGo
10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
I hear some of 'em can cook, too. :idunno:

I'll just take this one:

I wouldn't believe everything you hear... the best chefs are all men.

Artemis
10-30-2011, 07:55 PM
' Hope is itself a species of happiness, and, perhaps, the chief happiness which this world affords: but, like all other pleasures immoderately enjoyed, the excesses of hope must be expiated by pain; and expectations improperly indulged must end in disappointment. '

- Samuel Johnson June 8 1762

Hope is part of the human condition, to deny it is to deny imagination, a belief that things can be better. Some thrive when presented with stark realities (in this case imminent death from cancer) most are crushed and devastated, and without hope the stark reality of such an end crushes the will of most.

mjmacky
10-30-2011, 09:14 PM

How does one fight an Afghan, by tossing and turning?

Also, you never described your relationship with this "bloke", so how could we determine how appropriate/sensitive the comment was.

Other thoughts for signing Get Well Soon cards for newly informed cancer sufferers:
"I know you have cancer"
"Let's cook meth" - for lung cancer
"Just so you know, God isn't real" followed by "I'll pray for you"
"You should have had a V8"
"Well, I guess you don't have a reason to quit smoking now, huh?"

Other suggestions?

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 11:55 PM

While I have hope that Reject/you/Nietzsche all eventually fuck the fuck off, it is not hope I blame while you continue to stay. That would be despising the wrong side of the equation...

megabyteme
10-30-2011, 11:57 PM

How does one fight an Afghan, by tossing and turning?

Last time I trust :angry: spell-check over my own instincts. :lol:

NotLettingItGo
10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
While I have hope that Reject/you/Nietzsche all eventually fuck the fuck off, it is not hope I blame while you continue to stay. That would be despising the wrong side of the equation...

Ah! But you have three hopes... whereas my lung cancer suffering mate only has two... none and Bob... and one of them is already dead... thus making hope a completely futile emotional response.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 01:33 AM
Don't forget Hope Lange.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmlKaMJJx0&feature=related

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 01:37 AM
Show your friend that clip and maybe death won't seem so bad after all.

megabyteme
10-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Anyone else find it misguided to quote a German with regards to hope? That's like asking your boss if you deserve a 50% increase in salary.

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Ronald Spiers was an American.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 12:18 PM

Actually he was born in Scotland and was only a naturalized American.
Therefore I'm assuming he got his courage from his Scottish roots and his lunacy from his American upbringing.

megabyteme
10-31-2011, 12:19 PM

Well, that quote pertained to going to war; Nietzsche's was regarding hope in general. Your associate won't be battle ready no matter how depressed you "help" him get. Just because you find a quote with the word "hope" in it, it doesn't make it entirely relevant to the discussion.

Any chance you remember where Nietzsche is from? :unsure:

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2011, 12:37 PM
I disagree... accepting that he is already dead is a very relevant sentiment... whereas hanging onto some vain hope that he will live to a ripe old age is a sure fire way to depression... indeed I'd go further and state that accepting that you're already dead is a fairly good outlook on life... because sure as eggs is eggs, we're all gonna die!!!

Oh! The Nietzsche angle is a waste of time... he only put it succintly into words. He most certainly isn't the only one to see 'hope' in the light expressed in those words, and he probably wasn't even the first to reach that conclusion.

megabyteme
10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Go die then. :mellow:

So, do you have a greater chance of success with a project/challenge when you focus on an outcome and think of the best, or give up?

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
I intend to :mellow:

If at first you don't succeed, give up.
- Homer Simpson.

megabyteme
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I hate to say this, but you can be slightly likable at times. :P

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 07:18 PM

What like 10:38 PM July 14th 2007?

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2011, 07:23 PM
What like 10:38 PM July 14th 2007?

Oh! No I was being complete and utter bastard that night :P

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2011, 07:36 PM

Don't be fooled... it's all a facade... I'm a cunt really...

OR

Stop trying to ruin my reputation...

OR

Slightly!!! ... You cunt... I'm fucking lovable, is what I am...

But in reality it's just a view point I have on life... I like hope... but I live in the real world, where the only realistic option is to accept the reality of what life deals you... so whilst my mate can bury his head in the sand and 'hope', that's not the best option... he really needs to accept the crappy hand and make the most of the cards he's holding... to move forward with whatever he can, whilst he can... unfortunately that viewpoint often makes me come across as confrontational in the eyes of many... I suppose because it doesn't allow me to accept crappy hands in silence... but to challenge them... to drive them forward somehow... even if it hurts someone... even if it hurts me. Living in the real world... it's the only way :D

Artemis
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM
For those of you who clutch to Nietzsche's darker quotes there is always this: ' It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.'

Now that's a comforting thought....

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
It's hard to believe that the same person who created Superman also had such a dark side to him.
I bet the guy who created Batman is truly fucked up then.

mjmacky
10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
It's hard to believe that the same person who created Superman also had such a dark side to him.
I bet the guy who created Batman is truly fucked up then.

Overbeck's Fledermausmensch weakly reflected his position against the possibility of Christian theology. I don't know if it speaks to his fucked up-edness.

Edit: *Glenn Overbeck is one fucked up individual

*Glenn Beck's alter ego

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Glenn Beck is one of my favourite guitarists.

mjmacky
10-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Glenn Beck is one of my favourite guitarists.

Personally, I always thought Glenn Beck was a loser

Edit: maybe we should kill him

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Glenn Beck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtKRnUGiQE&feature=related

chalice
10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Battle not with monsters
Lest ye become a monster.
And if you gaze into the abyss
The abyss gazes also into you.

You bunch of stupid cunts.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
That's from Batman isn't it?

chalice
10-31-2011, 11:50 PM
That's from Batman isn't it?

No, it's Hitler, I believe.

So many of the fuhrer's greatest gags have been misappropriated to that cocksucker Bob Hope.

Did I say Bob Hope? I meant Bob Marley.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 11:55 PM
I liked Chris Farley in Road to Morocco.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
I played Hitler in a school play once. I'm taller than he was so it wasn't a stretch.

chalice
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
I licked Chris Farley in Road to Morocco.

You dirty boy.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I got to yell and storm out of a meeting which was cool but sadly no invading Poland or killing anyone.

chalice
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I splayed Hitler in a school play once. I'm taller than he was so it wasn't a stretch.

You dirty youth.

IdolEyes787
11-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I licked Chris Farley in Road to Morocco.

You dirty boy.

Come on honestly who wouldn't ?

megabyteme
11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Battle not with monsters

But can't the same be said for cunts?

Artemis
11-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Battle not with monsters

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

You mad Irish audio artiste.

NotLettingItGo
11-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Battle not with monsters

Or as an Indian Chief once said to me... "Don't stick your dick in a crazy"

megabyteme
11-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Or as an Indian Chief once said to me... "Don't stick your dick in a crazy"

I'm sure that wasn't the only time you've been rejected...