PDA

View Full Version : The fact of Apple Macbook (Air) in Uni's!

iLOVENZB
10-31-2011, 07:33 PM
http://amandaklohmann.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/look-at-them-apples.jpg

:O

Think Different® :pinch:

iLOVENZB
10-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Don't know why embed img = italics :\

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2011, 07:39 PM
I wonder what they're studying... please don't let it be technology... or computing :whistling

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 07:44 PM
You could set off a bomb in that room and not hurt one original thought.

Also based purely on appearances I think they are studying lemmings.

mjmacky
10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Offered this Fall:

---Computing for the Computer Illiterate---
Course code: CSA1011
Credits: 1
Prerequisites: None
Required course materials: Apple notebook
Registration method: Adviser-added or paper-based registration

---Tagging Photos for the Computer Illiterate---
Course code: CSA1021
Credits: 1
Prerequisite: CSA1011
Required materials: Apple notebook
Recommended materials: Apple desktop, iPhone
Registration method: Safari web registration portal

iLOVENZB
10-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Looks like it's a Canadian college if thats any consolation

http://www.blogut.ca/2011/05/24/first-years-the-small-class-at-uoft/

IdolEyes787
10-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Looks like it's a Canadian college if thats any consolation

Looks like you don't know that Canada differentiates between Colleges and Universities.

mjmacky
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
It's a seminar course, they're not really studying anything. It makes sense now.

Quarterquack
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I was about to say that's clearly the Engineering hall in U of T. Also for people who want clarifications: There are three types of Seminar courses in Canada.

The first involves what U of T does for its first year. People filed into a general degree (or without a declared major) are allowed to take a seminar course that almost gives them a condensed version of everything they'll come across in a certain discipline, that way they can make more informed decisions.
There are seminar courses that involve discussion group strategies between the students themselves, as well as the analysis of contemporary research.
And there are seminar courses that involve guest speakers on a weekly basis.
____

On topic: Toronto. The hipster movement is strong with these ones. It doesn't help that Apple has booths in every University around Canada, and in every Future Shop and Best Buy. Can't really top strong brand marketing when it's always shoved down your throat.

IdolEyes787
11-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I was about to say that's clearly the Engineering hall in U of T. Also for people who want clarifications: There are three types of Seminar courses in Canada.

The first involves what U of T does for its first year. People filed into a general degree (or without a declared major) are allowed to take a seminar course that almost gives them a condensed version of everything they'll come across in a certain discipline, that way they can make more informed decisions.
There are seminar courses that involve discussion group strategies between the students themselves, as well as the analysis of contemporary research.
____

It's a times like these that I wish I was a character on The Walking Dead.

Quarterquack
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
It's a times like these that I wish I was a character on The Walking Dead.

You'd probably save the producers a lot of make-up money. :idunno:

IdolEyes787
11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I am scarred up a bit .I hope I don't frighten little children.

megabyteme
11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
The only thing less prevalent in that room than the diversity of thought is actual diversity. :pinch:

Admissions Form Questionnaire

1. Do you own a MacBook or MacBook Pro?

2. Are you white?

3. If you answered "no" to either of these questions, do you plan to get a MacBook or MacBook Pro in the near future?

IdolEyes787
11-01-2011, 12:03 PM
The only thing less prevalent in that room than the diversity of thought is actual diversity. :pinch:

Toronto is the most ethnically diverse place on the planet so the photo must be from 1951 and they just photoshopped in the MacBooks.

megabyteme
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm sure it's OK to be a minority in Toronto, just not a minority student.

Actual question here:

Are Macs targeted at whites more than minorities? Could the make-up of the room (and perhaps topic) have more to do with the number of Macs in the room than anything else?

NotLettingItGo
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM

And that's a bad thing? Seriously... have you seen them?

NotLettingItGo
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
...Could the make-up of the room (and perhaps topic) have more to do with the number of Macs in the room than anything else?

Oh! I see it's a White Supremacists seminar... now it all makes sense.

megabyteme
11-01-2011, 12:21 PM
And that's a bad thing? Seriously... have you seen them?

Not actually in person, no... Like I want to get shot or stabbed, or give them money. :fear:

1000possibleclaws
11-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Oh god. Kids even one or two years younger than me are caught in this apple bubble. I'm taking a second year course and its 100% macbooks. In my class year, it started with maybe 10% macbooks in first year, and even now it's way less than 25%. Ridiculously small gap between Apple adoptees and pc users. ><

mjmacky
11-08-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm taking a second year course and its 100% macbooks

I take that to mean you're a contributing sucker?

Quarterquack
11-08-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm taking a second year course and its 100% macbooks

To be honest, I'd buy a MacBook air. They look aesthetically pleasing.
Of course the first thing I'd do after purchasing it would be to format it and install debian, then find a hack to make the battery user replaceable.

Based on aesthetics alone, apple is doing well.
I'd only consider an MBA or a thinkpad if I were in the market.

1000possibleclaws
11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Naw I have a POS hp that works for up to 15 minutes when its not plugged in. So I don't have a laptop in my classes..

iLOVENZB
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Well just be grateful you don't have an Acer Aspire . The trackpad has worn off, the left click is broken and there are some keys that don't work. 'Nuff to say I take notes on my phone :

mjmacky
11-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Well just be grateful you don't have an Acer Aspire . The trackpad has worn off, the left click is broken and there are some keys that don't work.

I had the exact same issues, to the key, with my Acer Aspire. Now I think it's in one of my desk drawers amidst a stack of old graded assignments that I never gave back in previous semesters.

mjmacky
11-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Naw I have a POS hp that works for up to 15 minutes when its not plugged in. So I don't have a laptop in my classes..

Sorry then, I was misled by the 100 % figure, which is in my field a very extreme figure. Even though I'm extremely antitheist and hate Apple beyond all recognition, I'm only 99.5 - 99.99 % certain that god/gods doesn't/don't exist and that I'll never buy an Apple branded product.

1000possibleclaws
11-09-2011, 03:29 AM
My class is probably entirely macbooks because only tools and morons bring a laptop to a 50 minute business class that is discussion based or just the teacher telling stories. I'm betting if it was a second year econometrics class the laptop branding would be more evenly distributed..

Skiz
11-09-2011, 05:15 AM

____

On topic: Toronto. The hipster movement is strong with these ones. It doesn't help that Apple has booths in every University around Canada, and in every Future Shop and Best Buy. Can't really top strong brand marketing when it's always shoved down your throat.

Wrong.

Why is it "clearly the Engineering hall in U of T" when it obviously a classroom at the University of Missouri? I can count 14 clearly distinguishable "Mizzou" tshirts in the crowd and plenty of others that are Mizzou's colors.

Skiz
11-09-2011, 05:18 AM

To be honest, I'd buy a MacBook air. They look aesthetically pleasing.
Of course the first thing I'd do after purchasing it would be to format it and install debian, then find a hack to make the battery user replaceable.

Based on aesthetics alone, apple is doing well.
I'd only consider an MBA or a thinkpad if I were in the market.

Then you would be ripped off like the rest of them. There are numerous PCs that resemble the MBA these days. My fav being the Lenovo ultrabooks being released this month which are actually thinner than the MBA.

Quarterquack
11-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Then you would be ripped off like the rest of them. There are numerous PCs that resemble the MBA these days. My fav being the Lenovo ultrabooks being released this month which are actually thinner than the MBA.

You realize that the Ultrabooks file under the thinkpad branding, correct? And that I'd said I'd pick either the Thinkpads or the MBA. Also, anyone who cares about thin-ness is idiotic. Simply because the measurement system for how thin a laptop is has been broken for years. All that matters are the ergonomics of a laptop, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can tell the difference of an entire pound between distinct form factors (tear-drop vs. rectangular, par exemple).

Wrong.

Why is it "clearly the Engineering hall in U of T" when it obviously a classroom at the University of Missouri? I can count 14 clearly distinguishable "Mizzou" tshirts in the crowd and plenty of others that are Mizzou's colors.

Could be. UofT has an identical lecture hall, so much so that earlier in the thread a UofT student blogged by posting the picture in question from the OP.
I do see the Mizzou shirts, and you may be right.

So what's with the disagreement with me like, do I really stick out that much in a thread, or do you just find everyone else tres agreeable?

mjmacky
11-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Wrong.

The photo was from an article about Univ of Toronto seminar classes. There is a decent chance it was some kind of stock photo or other unrelated media, but natural assumption could be that it was somehow related to U of T.
dudelovesnzb posted the link in comment #6