PDA

View Full Version : Has he never seen a Japanese movie?!!!

megabyteme
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
To Assure Japan, Official Drinks Water From Fukushima Puddle (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/11/01/141909307/to-assure-japan-official-drinks-water-from-fukushima-puddle)
Nice way to turn into a gigantic fire-breathing, man-lizard thingy that decimates the rest of japan. What was he thinking? :fear:

Quarterquack
11-01-2011, 08:41 PM
What a poker face. That guy obviously wins tournaments in his sleep. Compared to playing a game, this guy just probably either lied about drinking nuclear reactor water to the whole world, or didn't and maintained that facial expression whilst knowing there's no possible way it's perfectly clean.

Ultimate badass.

IdolEyes787
11-01-2011, 09:36 PM
What a poker face. That guy obviously wins tournaments in his sleep. .

He's Japanese so of course he's inscrutable.Don't you know anything?:slap:

NotLettingItGo
11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
No he's not mad... water contamination is chemical in nature. So the contamination is from chemicals that have been produced in the efforts to control the reaction and which was therefore exposed to radiation. It absorbed some of the radiation. The one most scream about is radioiodine (iodine-131) because it's dangerous to humans. It fucks up your thyroid gland... well it does if you get too much of it... however in just the right amounts we use it medically to treat thyroid problems.

Radioiodine has a half life of 8 days. That means that over a period of 8 days it decays to be only half as radioactive... and over the next 8 days it decays further to be only half again as radioactive... work the numbers out for yourself... even if that water had been really, really contaminated with radioiodine, it'd be safe to drink by now... and that's before they filtered it to death to remove as many particulates and chemicals as possible... in fact given all the extra filtering... it's probably cleaner and safer that your tap water.

The other possiblity is particulate contamination, particularly from plutonium... that'll kill you seriously dead quite quickly. But the plutonium levels at Fukishima were never measured as being higher than they are across the rest of Japan, courtesy of President Truman and WWII, and the water was undoubtedly filtered to death to remove particulates.

Quarterquack
11-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Except for the part where the concern with reactors 5 and 6 which contain Caesium-134, that has a half-life of a little over 2 years.
And the Caesium levels are up 10 times of what they were two weeks ago.

NotLettingItGo
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
OMFG!!! Panic!!! That Cesium-134 levels in the pool where they store the spent fuel rods doubled at the end of October.

Lets not forget that they also found radiation 17 times the previous recorded level in Tokyo... unfortunately for the doom mongers and worlds press it had fuck all to do with Fukushima, and was actually coming from a load of bottles of (what is believed to be) radium-226 that some dumb fuck thought he'd store under the floor boards of his house years ago.

I love articles like this http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2011/oct/13/fukushima-radiation-tokyo-contamination-reading

Where they produce figurs like this

Researchers had recorded radiation of 3.35 microsieverts per hour along a street in Setagaya ward, a higher level than in some parts of the 12-mile (20km) exclusion zone around the nuclear plant
Whilst oddly not mentioning that every living thing on the planet is subjected to (approx) 3.00 mSV every single second of their entire life... and after they're dead. It's even better when they throw in numbers like this

The hourly reading in the Setagaya hotspot, located close to a nursery school, was equivalent to 17.6 millisieverts (mSv) a year, according to science ministry calculations, just below the 20mSv a year required to trigger an evacuation and more than 17 times the internationally recommended level for the general public.
Without explaining what a hotspot is... or bothering to point out that NISA will immediately grant anyone and everyone clearance for upto 150.00 mSV per annum in the event of them happening to be a worker in a Nuclear Power Plant where an accident occurs.

Still it's radiation... you'll get more from any X-Ray that you could possibly have got from being anywhere in Japan that was immediately outside of actual plant... so we must all panic and forsee mass death and destruction... you know it makes sense.

Quarterquack
11-01-2011, 11:25 PM
OMFG!!! Panic!!! That Cesium-134 levels in the pool where they store the spent fuel rods doubled at the end of October.

That statement is nowhere near factual. Go back to your readings. I'd highlight which parts of your statement are wrong, but you know, the whole sentence in bold would take away from the point of highlighting.

By your logic, we should just ignore of radioactive material contamination goes up 200-300 folds, since you know, it's spent water. Never mind all those Nuclear reactors that use that water for other causes.

Also, I work with radioactivity every now and again, and while none of the numbers mean anything yet, the fact the levels are increasing is what actually matters. But then again, who cares? The real badasses are cancer patients going for x-rays and MRI's.

Doorknob mentality.

IdolEyes787
11-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I understood very little of what you said but I'm sure that if I did it would still be boring.

mjmacky
11-01-2011, 11:53 PM
The key factoid being that the water was treated. Heavy elements (radioactive or not) can be easily removed via chelating agents or reverse osmosis. I could drink just about *anything that was filtered then pressured through a membrane (so I didn't see his imbibery as all that frightening). The other key factoid was that they plan on releasing data. So anyone with any real interest in the development of the story involving a Japanese supermutant race, need only wait for the data to be analyzed-released-interpreted.

Edit: Having thought of what your first thoughts might be
*anything includes your pee. Yes, I will drink your pee.

NotLettingItGo
11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
That statement is nowhere near factual. Go back to your readings. I'd highlight which parts of your statement are wrong, but you know, the whole sentence in bold would take away from the point of highlighting.

By your logic, we should just ignore of radioactive material contamination goes up 200-300 folds, since you know, it's spent water. Never mind all those Nuclear reactors that use that water for other causes.

Also, I work with radioactivity every now and again, and while none of the numbers mean anything yet, the fact the levels are increasing is what actually matters. But then again, who cares? The real badasses are cancer patients going for x-rays and MRI's.

Doorknob mentality.

I'll use TEPCOs readings, if that's alright with you?

24/6/2011:
Cesium-134: 12,000 becquerels/cubic centimeters
Cesium-137: 14,000 becquerels/cubic centimeters

19/8/2011:
Cesium-134: 23,000 becquerels/cubic centimeters
Cesium-137: 18,000 becquerels/cubic centimeters

So my readings (or TEPCOs to be accurate) are correct.
These readings are from Reactor Number 1 SFP.
So it's a contained source of highly radioactive material.
It's not the water from a puddle that the bloke in the OP was drinking.

There has been no 200-300 fold increase of any radioisotope from fukushima, but lets not stop the scare mongerers shouting loudly about how the waters off of fukuishima have 58 times the levels of Cesium-137 levels that they had prior to the Tsunami... and we'll just ignore the reality of what that really equates too... cause 58 is a big number innit.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/fukushima/AJ2011100613471

Cesium 137 levels about 140 kilometers east of the stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant came to 0.11 becquerel per liter, or 58 times more than in 2009, the ministry said Oct. 5.

Still, the figures for all locations were less than 1 percent of the legal standard of 90 becquerels for ocean waters.

Educated doorknob mentality... if you please.

Quarterquack
11-02-2011, 12:39 AM
So my readings (or TEPCOs to be accurate) are correct.
These readings are from Reactor Number 1 SFP.
So it's a contained source of highly radioactive material.
It's not the water from a puddle that the bloke in the OP was drinking.

Seriously? The OP was drinking from reactor 5/6. Why don't you research the same information for those reactors?
I honestly thought we were talking about the same reactor, which is why I said your post was un-factual, but never mind! Clearly I gave you too much credit to be conclusively on-topic.

:idunno:

NotLettingItGo
11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Oh! I did reasearch reactors 5 and 6... what I found was a whole load of conspirancy nuts all over the web ranting on about reactor 5 and 6 being critical (they obviously have no idea what the word critical means in the nuclear industry), along with lots of completely stupid claims about how there's a hidden secret warhead manufacturing and testing facility underneath reactors 5 and 6, and 'easily disposed of people' are being taken from the streets of Tokyo and forced to work on contamination clean up, before they're left to die. Not forgetting of course all the police officers who are guarding the area... apparently they're all dying in droves as well... and yet not one of these deaths is being reported...

Back on topic though the rise in reactor 5 and 6 Cesium-134 levels were measured 30km off shore... so that'd be the same sea water contamination covered in my previous post... the one where I covered the guardian article. It wasn't reporting a rise in contamination of the water from inside the secondary containment vessel. Let alone covering contamination of ground water from inside that vessel.

Next... in fact no... if you want to have a discussion about radioactive stuff, start one in the drawing room... it doesn't belong in the lounge really.