PDA

View Full Version : Missing blocks confusion

fk-bps
11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
So far I've been downloading a vast variety of shows from new groups, but I've been more of a passive user knowing only the bare minimum. Occasionally one of my downloads will turn out to be corrupt and have missing blocks usually I ignore it and try and find another source but I want this to be a thing of the past as I have quite a slow connection.

The download I'm trying to fix has 5 missing blocks, I understand I need additional par2 files to attempt to repair the file. I have the following par2 files:
*.vol00+01.par2
*.vol01+02.par2
*.vol03+04.par2
*.vol07+08.par2
*.vol15+12.par2

The problem is I have no idea on how to get the required par2 files, I thought I could post in the newsgroup the file where posted too, but I doubt my post would be noticed among all the file posts which get added every minute.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

mjmacky
11-01-2011, 11:59 PM
They are there and posted, I could tell you exactly where, but I'm not sure of your method for grabbing them (headers, autoindexed generation of nzb or original nzb, etc.).

Alt.binz usually adds those recovery volumes as paused, so you might already have them loaded in your client (they just weren't downloaded).

fk-bps
11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
right I see, the nzb was autoindexed I got it from binsearch. The articles where posted in alt.binaries.teevee . I was under the impression that some parts may have been deleted by the provider as it is a recent episode from a hbo show

mjmacky
11-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah the recovery volumes are sometimes listed separately on binsearch.

fk-bps
11-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Right I'll keep an eye out, what about requesting on a irc channel like alt.binaries.teevee@EFNet . I was reading the help file but I don't know how I would request a par2 file as your meant to state a part like *.r02

mjmacky
11-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Download ANY of the par2 files already present in the listings, any of them can be used to repair. There would be no need to request them since they're already posted. If parts are being removed, for instance because of DMCA for HBO series, that's how it is on a Giganews server, the same wouldn't apply to Astraweb so you'll be less likely to find help in that regard.

If you name the release, even by imdb tt number, season/episode, release group, I can point you to the par2 files directly.

fk-bps
11-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Interesting the release is Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S08E08.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION and I have 5 blocks missing if you could point me to the files that'd be great
Cheers

JustDOSE
11-02-2011, 02:55 AM
if your getting corrupt volumes often get a better news provider because that release is complete on usenet servers... who is your provider btw

Interesting the release is Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S08E08.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION and I have 5 blocks missing if you could point me to the files that'd be great
Cheers
http://binsearch.info/index.php?q=Curb+Your+Enthusiasm+DIMENSION+S08E08&m=&max=25&adv_g=&adv_age=999&adv_sort=date&adv_col=on&minsize=&maxsize=&font=&postdate=

use this when u search on binsearch, bookmark the following link:
http://binsearch.info/index.php?q=&m=&max=25&adv_g=&adv_age=999&adv_sort=date&adv_col=on&minsize=&maxsize=&font=&postdate=

Right I'll keep an eye out, what about requesting on a irc channel like alt.binaries.teevee@EFNet . I was reading the help file but I don't know how I would request a par2 file as your meant to state a part like *.r02
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

search this forum on how to request on irc all the information you need has already been posted..

fk-bps
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
My provider is UNS ( http://www.usenetserver.com/ ) they seem to work well for most downloads I haven't really had any problems with them, would you recommend I switch?
I'm getting an error when I navigate to the quickpar forum, "Error: Unable to insert into online list."

JustDOSE
11-02-2011, 03:55 PM
supernews or astraweb

http://web.archive.org/web/20110716031539/http://www.quickpar.org.uk/forum/

zot
11-02-2011, 04:32 PM
My provider is UNS ... would you recommend I switch?

Personally, I would switch, but that's your choice.

Since you download HBO shows, sooner or later you can expect to run into files that have too many missing blocks to be fixed by pars. The solution is either to switch to another usenet provider (Astraweb, UsenetNow/Blocknews, and Ngroups/Usenet-news.net don't presently suffer from that particular problem) or use a block account from one of these providers as a fill server to pick up the parts missing from UNS.

supernews or astraweb

Supernews gets hit with DMCAs from HBO. (and Astraweb currently has its own completion problems in the ~200 day range, which hopefully will be fixed soon)

JustDOSE
11-02-2011, 04:47 PM
zot stfu:shutup:

zot
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm sorry. I'll put you back on my ignore list if it makes you feel better. :D

fk-bps
11-02-2011, 05:01 PM
What is it that makes some providers more vulnerable to take down requests from DMCA than others, is it to do with the geographical location of the servers?

zot
11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Giganews and Highwinds (sold/re-sold under a variety of different brand names) are the biggest American usenet providers and receive the brunt of DMCA takedowns. Many smaller, lesser known, and/or foreign-based NNTP providers have largely stayed out of the line of fire.

A_T
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
What is it that makes some providers more vulnerable to take down requests from DMCA than others, is it to do with the geographical location of the servers?
The DMCA only applies in the USA and as zot says the big names like Giganews and Highwinds get the brunt of it.

mesaman
11-02-2011, 07:47 PM
AW US servers are in San Jose. If everyone who wants a HBO show or XBox game dumps GN SN and HW and piles into AW, doesn't that make AW the biggest? I don't like the idea of everyone crowding into the provider who is the last man standing. No more than 6% of any HBO show was ever removed from any server. Zot is saying don't dump your provider because of that 6%, get a block accont backup server.

JustDOSE
11-02-2011, 10:21 PM

I'm sorry. I'll put you back on my ignore list if it makes you feel better. :D
it would actually, thanks noob

fk-bps
11-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I used this program to check the nzb out of interest and its apparent that articles had been deleted by the provider, cant they just delete the whole thing why do they insist on trolling the user? Could it be they want people to use there bandwidth as fast as possible to make people who pay for bandwidth rather than a fixed term run out of gigs quicker?

johhny
11-04-2011, 10:40 PM
sabnzb is automatic fetching missing blocks

mesaman
11-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Only @HBOSteve knows.