PDA

View Full Version : Windows Does anyone know any good dns server for win 64bit ?

Airbander
11-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know any good dns server for win 64bit ?

Hello,

I am trying to run a DNS Server at home to make my own home website !
I am going to use Names as color for my pc make it easy for everyone

Project:
I have a web server installed and i am able to built my site but my site is available locally in same pc ( Blue ) when i try to view my site in my same network 192.168.x.x
the site wont show up in ( RED ) so i have change the host file in blue to point 172.0.0.1 to 192.168.11.30 example .. site will be show up in ( red ) but the domin wise wont ... so 192.168.11.30 is Myhomeblog.com in the web browser of Red ip will work but domain wont ...

Now if i edit the host file in red the site is fine which mean blue as web+database server needs a dns server for home dns need

Does anyone know any good dns server for win 64bit ?

Thank you

contemp
11-05-2011, 04:35 PM
How many PCs do you have?
How you PCs get IPs? Manuall or assigned by DHCP (Router etc)?
And in order to work with a DNS server you need to know some concepts, know the records etc etc.
The issue on red doesn't indicate that there's a need for DNS, It shows that the RED can't resolve IPs into domain names, which can be done using host file too, as you already knew.
The simplest solution i can provide is this:
1- Set a manual IP for your PC (Blue) , ie 192.168.1.254
2- Modify the host file on ALL PCs accordingly.

BTW, by installing DNS Server you're buying yourself a learning curve + many problems which is not mentioned in any book.
Anyway, Please specify if it is about learning something new rather than just make it work, then i come with full instructions on how to do so.