PDA

View Full Version : On A Tv, Is The Higher The Contrast, The Higher

Vamp
11-12-2003, 09:56 PM
I have my contrast set to max... I hardly notice a difference until it's like 18 notches down from that, then it starts getting dark..

What is the best contrast setting to have for the best picture?

High Contrast
Low Contrast
Or a Medium Setting?

I'm trying to get the perfect settings to play my console games on...

There are a maximum of 63 notches for Color, Contrast and Brightness.

I have my:

Color on 51 (12 notches from the maximum)
Contrast on 63 (Maximum)
Brightness on 34 (29 notches from the maximum)

I think I have the best settings...Any suggestions?

Snee
11-12-2003, 09:58 PM
You'll have to experiment but as high as possible is probly not the way to go.

Cygnuz-Y
11-12-2003, 09:59 PM
thats only for monitors, TV changes a lot, you should try mixing everything up and find the best for your eyes ;)

SciManAl
11-12-2003, 10:00 PM
this is kinda a preference thing.. what ever you want, for a darker room i like a bright picture, but during the day that vcan cause problems... but it is whatever you like...

Vamp
11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
I havn't really noticed that contrast makes things brighter, it really makes it look more or less like, faded-to-nothing, more then dark. I play in perfect darkness, with the only light coming from the TV... I've been playing with the contrast about 5 notches down, and 3 notches down and now on maximum fully, and it looks the same.

And it looks really vibrant and alive.

3RA1N1AC
11-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@12 November 2003 - 13:56
I have my contrast set to max... I hardly notice a difference until it's like 18 notches down from that, then it starts getting dark..
the picture gets dark because some colors are not actually what they appear to be-- they are achieving their appearance by blurring two colors together so that you SEE them as a single color. sort of like if you mix a bunch of blue and red pixels into the same area, they might end up looking like purple... or some black pixels and white pixels together might look like grey. raising the contrast too high destroys that effect.

Vamp
11-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Color seems fine with contrast on [+] (Max)

3RA1N1AC
11-12-2003, 10:28 PM
it "seems" fine, but it ain't.

abu_has_the_power
11-12-2003, 10:30 PM
when i watch a movie on the tv, the picture is lighter in color. and sorta hard on the eyes. how should i tweak this?

3RA1N1AC
11-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 November 2003 - 14:30
when i watch a movie on the tv, the picture is lighter in color. and sorta hard on the eyes. how should i tweak this?
increase the saturation and maybe reduce the brightness. can't tell you by how much, since i don't know what your picture is like... but that's basically how to do it.

Vamp
11-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@12 November 2003 - 22:28
it "seems" fine, but it ain't.
When I say fine, I mean, the color looks more alive, more vibrant, more like you're watching something on film...Just not so dark, if you know what I mean.

When I started taking the contrast down a few notches, the color became more dull.

lynx
11-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Actually, there is supposed to be a way to tell if the contrast is right.

If the contrast is too high or too low, then adjusting the brightness will alter the colours in relation to each other. In other words a red in a shadow area will look a different shade to the same red in a brightly lit area. The only way to really check this is by looking at a test card, but I don't know anyone who transmits them these days.

But if it is somewhere near the right setting you may not notice the difference, in which case slight variances are purely a matter of personal preference.