PDA

View Full Version : Repairing an incomplete download by torrenting the missing parts?

LazyGuy
11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
So i was DLing some stuff off FST NZB collection and the download stopped suddenly at the middle

service provider-reader.xsusenet.com
retention-600days (as claimed)
indexer- FST
Client-SabNZBD+

FileSize-8.35 GB
No. of Files 77 x files of 95.3MB (archive)
Age 348 Days 27th Nov 2010
http://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/games/pc/17766-Spiderman-Shattered-Dimensions-RELOADED

the download stopped while downloading the 68th file and Sab says repair failed
so if i just torrent the missing parts (rar68 through rar77) and place them in the download folder will Sab detect these files and start repairing automatically?

zot
11-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Although autopar/autorar might be workable in this situation, a safer solution is to turn it off whenever downloads get interrupted and/or segmented, and then manually perform these functions. Because any client will keep track of whatever has been downloaded and processed, you generally can't (easily) bypass the system by manually adding files from other sources to the download folder and expect the software to automatically understand this.

I would suggest loading the NZB over again (changing the NZB/file name if needed) and just getting those missing files. (If that wont work, then consider going to plan-B and grab them via torrent.) As there's been suspicion that FST might be truncating NZBs in that age range, it might be a better idea to get the same NZB from another source like Binsearch or Mysterbin -- which will also allow you to construct an NZB containing only the missing files you need.

Then once you have all the rar files, put them all in one directory. Then run Quickpar. Then Extract using Winrar (or other archive app). It's best not to have the news client running when you do any of this.

Also, XSusenet had 400 day retention the last time I checked -- not the 600 that's listed on the site.

LazyGuy
11-11-2011, 01:03 AM
okay seems like the torrenting idea was a good idea
i got the files 67 through 77 and placed them in the folder
as was expected, SAB did not understand this and was still DLing when i restarted it

so i ran Quickpar with the available par files
it detected i have each and every required files and was only missing the .NFO (but it was there)
i was missing 1 block and it was available, so i ran repair and it was success

i think i have to restrict using newsgroups only for files less than 300 days to be safe

mjmacky
11-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Alternatively, you could have run a re-check on the files using the torrent client, and it'll fix any that had problems and download the parts that weren't grabbed. Either way...

LazyGuy
11-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Alternatively, you could have run a re-check on the files using the torrent client, and it'll fix any that had problems and download the parts that weren't grabbed. Either way...
yes, that's the first verification i did
i DLed a mirror torrent from FLRO and ran folder check on the DLed files
it said download "Finished" at 100%
still i verified with Quickpar which was 100 % too(just the NFO wasn't detected)

so NZBs are only for files less than 4GB and less than 300 days old for me
or till i find a better newsserver (for free that is)

JustDOSE
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
if it stopped then its not imcomplete you just need a better server. and downloading the missing filesfrom p2p will probably not work unless it the exact same release,packed, par'd, n'uploaded; which i doubt