PDA

View Full Version : Someone help an old guy who wants to share his music?

FrankFu
11-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Skiz
11-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I smell bullshit. This has all the signs of a copy/paste but, I'll wait it out and see what happens...

anon
11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I smell bullshit. This has all the signs of a copy/paste

Indeed. He copied it from his post on the hello thread, and was told he'd get more attention through a separate one.

Frank, although you'd certainly have enough content to start it up, maybe creating your own forum or blog for sharing the links would end up being much of a hassle. Have you considered posting on already-existing forums which cater to these music genres? You could post them on multiple boards, also. File hosters can kill the links, but you can alleviate this by using link protectors and passworded RARs with "uninteresting" names.

The already-recommended (on the hello thread) What and Waffles are also a nice idea, but if your upload speed isn't great, seeding 35 terabytes of FLAC may not be your idea of fun.

Regards :)

megabyteme
11-15-2011, 11:23 PM
The already-recommended (on the hello thread) What and Waffles are also a nice idea, but if your upload speed isn't great, seeding 35 terabytes of FLAC may not be your idea of fun.

That does pose its own unique set of challenges. The only solution I can think of right now for distributing such a large collection would involve joining a site(s) with multiple, dedicated uploaders (each with their own proven high-speed lines) who would work with Frank to grab his files from file hosting sites (he would upload once, and give the BT uploaders the link- this would put the heavy work in their hands). Once each of the files became well seeded, all worries of permanent loss would be minimized, and Frank would have "only" 35 TB to upload. He would need a VERY good connection, and a bit of time (how long does it take HD movie fans to rack up this kind of bandwidth?). Lack of effort does not appear to be in Frank's vocabulary.

Best idea I have, currently... :)

mjmacky
11-16-2011, 01:31 AM
I smell bullshit. This has all the signs of a copy/paste but, I'll wait it out and see what happens...

In response to his first post (since you most likely just based this opinion off his post history).

Gotta love the old dude that keeps up with technology. You should probably repost this in your own personalized thread, as this post will be inevitably lost in the "hello noobs" thread.

As Macky pointed out, this post deserves its own thread. Other members will certainly be happy to help you, but this section is often overlooked as most posts are in the single digit word count variety.

Perhaps if you don't like the direction this thread goes, you could throw some infraction points my way. Either way, no one can accuse me of being utter evil to every new member.

@Frank, you'll find lots or resources covering the bt world in many of this site's threads, and the "What Trackers Offer" might help organize all of that. If you prefer a more static filesharing approach, the other filesharing methods are covered in their own sections. Should be a cakewalk for you to peruse that compared to keeping some sort of actual and mental index of a 35 TB catalog of music.

zot
11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Frank. That was quite an incredible story, on several levels. I'm assuming that since DJs play singles, that 35 terabytes of digital music would translate to a physical collection in the range of a small warehouse stacked to the roof. And I assume it must have taken quite a few years just to rip/encode/label all of it, as anyone who ever took the time to digitize "vinyl" singles can attest to its snail-pace speed, compared to ripping CD albums.

It might also take years to upload 35TB -assuming a typical (US) broadband connection- but that's entirely another issue.

One question: what did you do with all the original hard drives you used? It just seems to me that in order to digitize that immense quantity, you probably must have got started long before 3TB drives were even available. Are these other (perhaps) dozen+ drives being kept as backup?

Unless of course you had a room full of computers with turntables, and hired a small crew (perhaps even running 3 shifts?) to get all that work done in a reasonable time.

This is all just gross speculation on my part. I can only hope I'm totally wrong and/or completely missing something, since otherwise things don't seem to add up in a way that makes any logical sense to me. :blink:

FrankFu
11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
@Skiz.... So you smell bulllshit? check your upper lip. yes I did copy and paste at the advice of mjmacky who suggested I put it in this forum. copy and paste because I didnt want to retype it all. You know, you don't have to pounce on a new person just trying to get information like a pitbull. I have sat here and read all kinds of hateful responses to noobies questions on this and other forums and it seems just because you might know a bit more than others about IP, you have to bully your way with your keyboard. Or maybe you're just a smart ass. You must have been severely abused as a child. the rest of the people who were nice enough to give a kind response, I thank you very much. At the administrator. I know you read messages before you post them so if this is over the top, then just erase my profile.

manker
11-16-2011, 01:22 PM
FFS, skeezo. Did you even read the post.
It was clearly a heart-felt and original gesture from a guy considering his own mortality and his present situation.

I think people here, not you obviously, could have helped him achieve what he considers to be a lasting and unique legacy to the file-sharing community.
It's not often people post here with purely altruistic intentions, but this guy was asking how to he would go about devoting an enormous amount of time and effort into benefiting others.
I have literally no idea how to effectively share 35TBs but already more filesharingly erudite members than myself had started him along that road. You and your poor attitude coupled with that paper crown have almost certainly and possibly irrevocably derailed this.

You owe Frank, and the filesharing community, an apology. You great buffoon.

mjmacky
11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
@Skiz.... So you smell bulllshit? check your upper lip. yes I did copy and paste at the advice of mjmacky who suggested I put it in this forum. copy and paste because I didnt want to retype it all. You know, you don't have to pounce on a new person just trying to get information like a pitbull. I have sat here and read all kinds of hateful responses to noobies questions on this and other forums and it seems just because you might know a bit more than others about IP, you have to bully your way with your keyboard. Or maybe you're just a smart ass. You must have been severely abused as a child. the rest of the people who were nice enough to give a kind response, I thank you very much. At the administrator. I know you read messages before you post them so if this is over the top, then just erase my profile.

Skiz most likely didn't read any of your messages before posting that. I have not personally witnessed him to be sincere or thoughtful enough to take anything he says into consideration. For now, you can safely ignore him.

On the other hand, zot over here is a very sincere and helpful guy, sticks mostly to newsgroup stuff. He brings up a question that piqued my interest as well. Though I got the impression that not all of the music was digitized from Vinyl, you make quite a few mentions of CD. I was more curious about your process of pulling your music from Vinyl, reading this article (http://www.pcworld.com/article/202760/convert_your_vinyl_to_digital.html) makes it seem like the only reason one would do it is because they just happen to have everything in that format, the same for you?

megabyteme
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM

I see you have erased your original post. I certainly hope you will reconsider. Skiz has been known to get overwhelmed by posts exceeding 20 words, and he typically runs short on his medications this time each month. Just consider it a one-two punch to his synapses...

There's gotta be at least a couple of dramas in a collection the size of yours... :)

zot
11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I smell bullshit.

I myself found the stench to be quite overpowering. :sick:

But I try to be diplomatic and I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, on the one-in-a-million chance that this guy was actually telling some semblance of the truth. Because his story had so many holes in it, I assumed that the other commenters also caught wind of the odor, but didn't quite have the stomach to be as blunt as Skizo of their suspicions -- and like me, preferred to play along with the obvious gag.

But if there was any lingering doubt as to whether or not 'Frankfu' was just some young role-playing troll whose goal was to stir up drama here, his last post (as well as its response) should have put that question to rest.

I think it's about time to end this charade. This could be considered a classic troll routine (and I've seen many different versions of it over the years) so let's just admit we were trolled and move on. :lol:

On the other hand, zot over here is a very sincere ...
Not this time. But I figured that if someone wants to pretend to be his grandfather's age, I can *pretend* to believe it. I was also trying to suggest the sheer improbability -and technical infeasibility- of the whole situation:)

... and BTW, I was using the word "incredible" in its *classic* meaning:

in·cred·i·ble

Definition of INCREDIBLE

1: too extraordinary and improbable to be believed

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incredible

FrankFu
11-17-2011, 02:09 AM
@mjmacky, It's ok, I've done my own exhaustive research the past couple days and have found a server in russia with a couple of backups just in case.... Iv'e corresponded with The guy in Russia and he is extremely friendly and helpful and has offered many little secrets about this crazy process to protect myself. I have business class upper tier cable so my upload speed is very very fast. and through a VPN they are going to give me free, I will be safe! I have recorded probably 3000 CD's over the years from vinyl because when I DJ'd at a club I used Pioneer CDJ players, (it mixes just like vinyl) and would record through a pro sound USB device into Adobe Audition. then clean up the pops and normalize and run it through a mastering limiter & BBE Sonic Maximizer (VST) and voila... a beautiful sounding recording. You see now why I just have to get these rare recordings of club dance music into the internet loop..It's kinda like leaving a virtual legacy in a way. A great majority of these records I've never seen in digital format. All my old 45's.. well most of those have been remastered and released by Rhino and Time-Life, etc. so I have lossless rips of those. It will take me many many months but it will be a fun project and personally fulfilling!

FrankFu
11-17-2011, 02:33 AM

mjmacky
11-17-2011, 03:01 AM
@zot. I just can't understand why you can't just take something at face value. You call me a "troll", an inappropriate insult. I was born April 19, 1954. I am 57 years old, I graduated from High school in 1972. Both my mom and dad passed away last year, mom was 82 and dad was 86. HOW CAN I CONVINCE YOU, I AM A REAL PERSON. If you want my resume I would give it to you but you're not worth my time. I've worked at 19 radio stations in 13 years and some of those were major market stations. I then operated a very successful mobile DJ service for over 20 years while working in local night clubs. If you didn't believe me and felt it necessary to dissect my post to find all the "holes" you must really have NO life. I feel sorry for you. This is all the truth on my part But convincing you and some of the others is a waste of my time. I can see there are some very nice people that post here but at the same time, people like you and "Skiz" are the reason people like me are hesitant to post, you just have to poke your jabs at me. Well, I'm sorry but I've solved my questions on my own. would have been nice to make new friends but I can see that this forum has too many "cliques" and outsiders aren't welcome. I thought this was supposed to be a "file sharing forum" but for me it has turned into a "defend myself and try to prove my honesty" forum..... I'm done here. To the administrator, Please post this, don't censor it, people here need to learn how to treat people with respect. Thank you

OK, since you didn't necessarily have a pile on and you still responded that way, it's obvious you're playing the role of a whiny little bitch. I wouldn't even be surprised if this was another reject persona. I mean, what the fuck is all this you just typed ^^^ ?!

@zot, my first instinct wasn't that he was trolling since his original post was in the hello noobs thread. And we pretty much advised him to copy and paste into his own thread, so that all seemed to go as expected. I'm a guy with a 2-4 GB music collection, I have maybe a few hundred songs probably in low bitrate, and like 2 FLAC albums. Therefore I really don't know the plausibility of reported sizes (35 TB = 10k albums? 60k albums?) representing a large FLAC collection. However, his lack of response to anything we brought up and an interest to only cultivate a combative stance (which is entirely counter to his purpose here) would demonstrate he's not one of mental maturity or sincerity. Truth or not, I'm not sticking around for someone's sobbing and complaining.

FrankFu
11-17-2011, 06:44 AM
"A whiny little bitch" oh that was so cute, well, let me speak to you in a language you and your other idiot friends here understand.... Fuck you too, Why don't you go suck someone's cock or finger your asshole (your avitar says it all "anal chemist" with your finger extended and your deformed face) do you lick your finger after you stick it in your asshole to see if the chemistry is ok?, Yeah the language is foul but I guess it's the only way you troglodyte retards here know how to communicate. You fucking idiot moron. Eat shit and die.

megabyteme
11-17-2011, 07:29 AM
That's quite the change, Frank...

The other posters do bring up some valid points- why concentrate on the drama (which you mentioned opposition to), and not on the solutions offered by myself, and others initially? :unsure:

FrankFu
11-17-2011, 07:37 AM
I could give a fuck what their points are, I'm not here to be judged by them. If it's drama they want, thats what they will get. Until the administrator deletes this thread, it's pointless and out of control. Why do you think I'm leaving these nasty messages. This cheap ass forum software wont even let me delete a thread I started unless I cant find it. So fuck you too.

megabyteme
11-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Points to zot, and Skiz for spotting this troll before anyone else.

Nice, elaborate story, "Frank".

Thread can be closed, IMO. Or moved to the Lounge. :idunno:

zot
11-17-2011, 08:47 AM
I really don't know the plausibility of reported sizes (35 TB = 10k albums? 60k albums?) representing a large FLAC collection.

some estimates and number-crunching:

I'd put a FLAC album at about 300MB average. So 35TB would therefore be about 120 thousand albums. (And since DJs generally work with singles, that would work out to somewhere around a million records.)

Let's say it takes an average of 10 minutes to rip/encode/label each song from a 'vinyl' single or LP: if you worked 20 hours a week ripping songs, at that rate it would take about 3 years to finish them all. Maybe we should assume that Frank F.U. must have used a time machine to get 3TB drives back then. :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/2cd7sn5

Funkin'
11-17-2011, 10:08 AM
"A whiny little bitch" oh that was so cute, well, let me speak to you in a language you and your other idiot friends here understand.... Fuck you too, Why don't you go suck someone's cock or finger your asshole (your avitar says it all "anal chemist" with your finger extended and your deformed face) do you lick your finger after you stick it in your asshole to see if the chemistry is ok?, Yeah the language is foul but I guess it's the only way you troglodyte retards here know how to communicate. You fucking idiot moron. Eat shit and die.

There's no way this person is 57 years old. And if by some small chance he is then I honestly feel bad for him.

mjmacky
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM

There's no way this person is 57 years old. And if by some small chance he is then I honestly feel bad for him.

I was thinking FrankFu might be Polonium 212, because that was one hell of a rapid decay.

manker
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
You're all so cynical.
The guy is sincere, but yeah, looks like he might have fucked his numbers up.

A troll wouldn't have initially posted in the newb thread. Who even reads that,* it would be far too subtle.

The level of butthurt is quite startling, however. Like wtf, Frank. It reminds me of the myriad of threads chicks start in the lounge (http://filesharingtalk.com/forums/10-Lounge) where they promise tits, receive a shitload of complements, get down to underwear - and then one person says 'lol u r fat' so she puts her clothes back on and describes everyone who posted as a filthy perv. Delicious irony.

*forumular OCD sufferers who simply have to click every link to make it the same colour as the rest before they can leave their wankpit to pish in the sink or w.e.

IdolEyes787
11-17-2011, 06:05 PM
It's the internet so a healthy dollop of cynicism is a good thing to carry around.

Anyway although I too find it somewhat hard to believe that a mature ,life experienced person could instantly devolve to such an extreme extent I suppose considering that there are 57 year olds that habituate playgrounds and expose themselves to children,anything is possible.
Btw the foul language offends me far less than Frank's seeming inability to take criticism.

megabyteme
11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
This is also supposed to be someone who has worked with the general public for 20+ years. Certainly, he could not freak out on people in the public like this. What if he played something nobody danced to? :O

Mildew_Wolf
11-23-2011, 07:00 PM
It reminds me of the myriad of threads chicks start in the lounge (http://filesharingtalk.com/forums/10-Lounge) where they promise tits, receive a shitload of complements, get down to underwear - and then one person says 'lol u r fat' so she puts her clothes back on and describes everyone who posted as a filthy perv. Delicious irony.

I'm new here - does this happen often? I thought this was a site for mature adult types - if I want to see that shit I can go to /b/ or somewhere equally lame. BTW I'm a chick, but rest assured I will NOT be taking my clothes off any time soon.

10/10 topic - would read again and recommend to all.

Skiz
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Sheesh, you guys piled on me. :blink:

It seemed pretty obvious that the guy was full of it from the start. If the thread had been in any section other than the Lounge I would have simply trashed it as bs.

35TB of music? No way, Jose.

manker
11-24-2011, 12:00 AM
It reminds me of the myriad of threads chicks start in the lounge (http://filesharingtalk.com/forums/10-Lounge) where they promise tits, receive a shitload of complements, get down to underwear - and then one person says 'lol u r fat' so she puts her clothes back on and describes everyone who posted as a filthy perv. Delicious irony.

I'm new here - does this happen often? I thought this was a site for mature adult types - if I want to see that shit I can go to /b/ or somewhere equally lame. BTW I'm a chick, but rest assured I will NOT be taking my clothes off any time soon.Good.
You're probably fat.

10/10 topic - would read again and recommend to all.:glag:
Are the empty candy-wrappers and pizza boxes obscuring your view of the monitor.
It's a fucking train-wreck of a thread.

====

Sheesh, you guys piled on me. :blink:

It seemed pretty obvious that the guy was full of it from the start. If the thread had been in any section other than the Lounge I would have simply trashed it as bs.

35TB of music? No way, Jose.Actually, Frank PM'd me and I'm currently transferring all of the the 35TB of music he emailed me to a micro SDHC memory card so I can listen to it on my phone :snooty: