PDA

View Full Version : IRC for Dummies

zot
11-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Does anyone know of any sort of easy "point and click" IRC client?

Something made to be as easy as possible for downloading files. I know a lot of hardcore IRC'ers would bristle at this sort of "for dummies" approach, feeling that anyone who can't learn command-line doesn't deserve to be on IRC, but I've never totally agreed with that sort of elitist approach.

Although IRC started back in the pre-GUI era when typing in commands was the only way to do anythng, I always wondered why IRC clients didn't quickly evolve into a more modern, intuitive, point-and-click (comand-line optional) kind of client. (I often seemed to get a somewhat hostile reception to that question)

A conceptual "for instance" for what this conceptual "IRC for Dummies" client might be like:

Whenever a list of served files is broadcast, the client would automatically harvest and compile a list of these files. Then rather than typing in commands/triggers the normal way, the user would just click on the file name on the the list to download it. (the "!" and "/" keys need never be touched for anything) or even have the client automatically ("hands free") download files that contain key words.

There are of course IRC download bots that will do this sort of work (and many are unwelcome and banned because of their widespread abuse) but again, it seems that most of these bots are designed more for the advanced IRC user than the beginner seeking an easy "point and click" software.

By comparison, downloading files off Usenet is immensely easier today than it was a dozen or so years ago -- yet IRC downloading seems practically unchanged for some reason.

Unless I'm behind that times, and there actually are easy 'one click' IRC download clients available similar to what I've described above? Or would any such clients, if ever available, immediately be banned by most server operators to "keep the noobs out"?

Alien5
11-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Get MIRC install it, no need to fill out registration yet, you might not like using MIRC

Go to the settings add a new server then try to connect to that server,into the box and some other info is not that important for the first time, you just want to join a room then once inside the staff and yourself exchange info or chat about your reason for wanting to speak with them, be polite and to the point, they are doing their job looking after people who need help,

the scripts and tricks can be fun just google MIRC Irc scripts. The one that
Was fun and has everything you need and alot more all on one program is called - Invision for mIRC

www.i-n-v-i-s-i-o-n.com/

That thing can talk swear and make automated commands so easily that it feels like you are using msn but with 1000s more options, tricks, scripts, sounds etc.

Good luck, it's really shit when you start plain old MIRC the first few times but after you learn some more basic tricks and codes it gets Easy.

It took me a few times to connect to the correct server and particular room you want will popup so you know youre on the rjght server, good luck its a very geeky old world youre venturing into so be on the look out for miserable gits and weirdos who never leave the house or take a piss.

ca_aok
11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
mIRC is like the least intuitive client ever (aside from CLI stuff like irssi). Telling him to use a program that basically requires scripting not to suck ass is the exact opposite of what he's looking for.

I'd recommend something like X-Chat or kvirc. The interfaces are geared more toward the GUI side of things, though you'll still need a passing understanding of the basics.

gamesover
11-21-2011, 09:00 AM
If you don't mind using your irc through the internet Mibbit is also a good option. Easy to use, you don't have to download anything, and it should work with every internet browser.

ca_aok
11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
The only issue with Mibbit is some sites and servers ban Mibbit clients from connecting since they're often used as proxies for ban evasion.

zot
11-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. If I forgot to mention it, I was thinking more of IRC downloading specifically, than the many other functions that IRC offers.

I tried Mibbit, went to two popular channels on EFnet, and was immediately kick-banned on both. Not unexpected. Then I went to Mibbit's own network, and tried to grab some files. Downloads are not automated, and I was not able to get DCC to work at all.

I thought that Mibbit was quite good for a web-based client, at least compared to the highly-simplified (and often-buggy) web-clients I've seen around for years, of the kind that are often embedded in a website's front page.

As a less-complicated and more intuitive alternative to full-fledged clients like MIRC, Mibbit is certainly a step in the right direction. However, like most of the IRC clients I've ever seen (including the simplified IRC clients that are integrated into several P2P clients such as Blubster and eMule) Mibbit users still must type-in *most* commands.

There are XDCC search engines for finding files, as well as quite a wealth of Mirc scripts that automate many types of functions, such as loading files from the xdcc search engines into Mirc. But the main obstacle is that using Mirc is not easy for beginners.

What I would like to see -- ideally -- is an IRC file search engine site combined with an integrated Javascript or Flash-based XDCC downloader, and maybe even a bult-in media player on the web page. Maybe something like a version of BeeMP3 or MP3raid.com that grabs files from irc channels. Or if not an all-in-one website, an installable software client that does the same. Although I have no doubt that the idea of an easy automated file-grabber is not going to please a lot of fserve operators.

But let's compare IRC and Usenet for a moment. Some of us might remember the 1990s when getting usenet binaries was a rather complicated procedure, but has since become easier and more automated with each passing year. But this evolution was not just linear, as there have evolved several distinct types of Usenet clients, such as:

*Traditional newsreaders: clients that support fetching headers, reading, and posting news -- but usually not downloading binaries.

*picture viewers that auto-download, thumbnail and organize pictures.

*NZB downloaders: clients that do none of the standard functions of newsreaders, but only download binaries. Some have essentially "one-click" simplicity.

Yet for some reason irc has not evolved in the same way as usenet - and a clear distinction between chat-oriented irc clients and download-oriented irc clients has apparently never materialized.

SuperTech
11-28-2011, 03:13 AM
It took me a few times to connect to the correct server and particular room you want will popup so you know youre on the rjght server, good luck its a very geeky old world youre venturing into so be on the look out for miserable gits and weirdos who never leave the house or take a piss.

QFT. :) I would be one of those miserable weirdos that never leave the house. But in all seriousness: there's usually a listing channel and a chat channel that will have a !search command (e.g. there's one called 1warez and another channel called 1warez-chat). The search bot will return to you exactly what you need to copy and paste to get the file. Just make sure you turn off DCC ignore, turn on DCC PASV, etc.

Since this is a geek's playground and many different XDCC servers with different command formats exist, I doubt anyone would invest any time in such a niche market.