PDA

View Full Version : Are older utorrent versions better?

evlo
11-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm using utorrent 3 and it is quite annoying with its freeze at 99.9% percent complete, but what i really hate is that it sometimes (quite often actually) just freeze. Are older versions better?

I also tried deluge, but it suffered from other problem, probably disk overload, it frequently droped ul and dl speed to zero.

Anonymau5
11-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Actually to be honest with you I really liked the old µTorrent. Now it have become something odd and strange not like the cute, user-friendly µTorrent.

anon
11-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Actually to be honest with you I really liked the old µTorrent. Now it have become something odd and strange not like the cute, user-friendly µTorrent.

They're working to make torrents newbie-friendly. That I'm indifferent about, but the UI changes I dislike. Thankfully there are some settings you can change to make it look like 2.x.x. I'm using 3.0 myself, but only to have the latest bug fixes. Shame you can't just pick what you want from both worlds... but well, it's not like I'm interacting with the program 24/7 anyway.

By the way, 99.9%-stuck torrents are often caused by incorrect disk cache settings, intensive disk activity from other programs, or a (deliberately?) unseeded torrent. Did you try 2.2.1 under the same settings to see if it also happens?

temisturk
11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Firstly, it is easy to try out other versions of uTorrent without affecting your current installation. Just save the utorrent exe you download into a new folder and create an empty text file in that folder named settings.dat. When you start it up (without your "main" install running), it will run as if it's the only uTorrent you have installed. [If you create a shortcut to the new instance, and append the /RECOVER parameter to the comment line, you can actually start it even when you have you main install running.]

As for your question, I think the answer is yes. Version 2.0.4.22967 (available from sites like filehippo) is the last one which was purely download focussed. With the versions after that they started to add plugins and media players and all the bells and whistles which complication things and which you don't need.

megabyteme
11-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, uTorrent was bought out by a corporate interest looking to make money off of it by selling "advanced" features. As far as I'm concerned, this is never a good idea, and I'm looking for a small-footprint replacement. It's sad to see it go the way so many once good, free programs have- for-profit.

I'm using one of the later versions of 2.xxx, and find that to be everything I need. Luckily, it is one that allows the user to turn off "reminders" without hidden problems occurring (I swear some programs punish you for doing this...)

fOrUmAs
11-25-2011, 12:09 AM
i don't like at all 3xx version of utorrent,seems they have problems with speed (downloading or uploading) i'm still on 2.2.1 :) best eva

n00bz0r
11-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Upgraded to uTorrent 3.0, saw the lame ad on the top right corner about an upcoming 'premium' version, had issues with labels and staying connectable.. so, I downgraded back to 2.2.1. Been happy ever since.

anon
11-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Upgraded to uTorrent 3.0, saw the lame ad on the top right corner about an upcoming 'premium' version

If I saw that, I don't remember it!

There was indeed going to be a Premium version with DVD burning and stuff though. I don't know what became of it.

evlo
11-25-2011, 12:09 PM
So does 2.0 also suffer from memory leaks and freeze following it or not? There must be someone who downloads many torrents per day with experience with it.
I would try it myself, but i don't like the idea of reconfiguring it again from scratch as i always forget to set something or set something wrong :)

Anon: thanks for clearing that 99.9% issue for me, i tough it might be it - i use huge cache so torrent write in big batches, but it is probably not the best option - what settings would you recommend for 1gbit connection with standard 7200 rpm hdd?

MusicalMind
11-25-2011, 12:49 PM
1.6.1 is my favourite uTorrent iteration. However, uTorrent is just doing what Vuze did years ago. If you have a seedbox / dedicated server, utorrent isn't good but for a home connection it is just fine.

If you're playing on a seedbox, rtorrent is the best one if you can handle UNIX if you're using Windows on a Box, Deluge (if you can get it working right) or Vuze for me. I really dislike uTorrent on a box, as it gets Disk Overwrite errors .. all the time. Even if you play with settings and bump up cache etc.

anon
11-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Anon: thanks for clearing that 99.9% issue for me, i tough it might be it - i use huge cache so torrent write in big batches, but it is probably not the best option - what settings would you recommend for 1gbit connection with standard 7200 rpm hdd?

A large cache is very recommendable with that connection speed, if you have a lot of RAM. It makes sense that the torrents freeze, sometimes for a sizable amount of time, as the data is actually written to the disk. It's either that or putting more pressure on the hard drive by writing semi-constantly.

If you want to do something about it, you can tick "reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed" and "write out finished pieces immediately". They may reduce the amount of time torrents are frozen for at the cost of increasing disk writes somewhat.

evlo
11-26-2011, 02:17 PM
How to configure deluge to work on windows box without it stopping?

Well utrorent can't use more then 2GB ram :(

Wolves
11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm using uTorrent 3.0 and to be honest, I don't notice much difference between this version and the older ones. But to be fair, I'm just a casual user who doesnt care about most of the advanced features. I simply download the torrent, up it in the client, label it, and I'm good to go. I couldnt care less about the rest of the power tools.

Having said that, it's still way easier to use than Azureus/Vuze; and I really think uTorrent is the single most most lightweight and user-friendly client available right now.

Stabber
11-27-2011, 03:10 AM
It seems that as time goes by utorrent becomes more bloated . But i have tried most bt clients and it is still the best .

There is even an x64 bit version of utorrent that you can use , i'm using it with no issues

Stylez
12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
i am not using the new utorrent 3 ...i am still using 2.2.0 its good at least i think so....