PDA

View Full Version : Samsung SF310 removing the hard drive

Ijustwantanzb
11-24-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm currently looking into getting a new laptop and come across the samsung SF310 which seems like a decent fast laptop. only thing thats holding me back is i want to replace the hard drive with a SSD drive... I cant find any videos or guides of how to install a new one. does anyone know where i can find such information about doing this?

I don't want to get a laptop where i have to remove half of the parts to install a hard drive. it is a compact laptop so it could be hard... apparently the laptop battery is built in as well :-/.

clocker
11-25-2011, 01:43 AM
According to this vid...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I8EU6SiWdw...the HDD and RAM both live under a standard (easily accessible) cover on the bottom.
The built in battery would definitely be a deal breaker for me.
I've seen numerous instances of a bad battery preventing a laptop from turning on even with the AC adaptor plugged in.
Remove battery, problem solved.
Should something similar happen to this model, you own a brick.

Chewie
11-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Got mesel' a 120GB SSD as my tower's system drive after trying out a 60GB and liking the speed improvement, then thought about putting the 60 in my laptop... but I worried about write counts and how long it'll last with temp files constantly being created/deleted/trimmed.
Flogged it on ebay instead.

spyrogyro
11-30-2011, 05:33 PM
If you don't have access to a Desktop to clone the drive you can purchase a product like this (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_nkw=SATA+2nd+HDD+Hard+Drive+Caddy+9.5mm+Universal&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5845&rt=nc&_dmpt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1) and swap out the Optical drive on the Laptop. Then you can use a program like Trueimage or Clonezilla to clone the drive with minimal effort. I find Optical drives to be redundant in today's computing world and this is a good option to upgrade and expand the storage capacity of a laptop with minimal effort.