PDA

View Full Version : My motherboard has crapped out

Smith
11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
where to begin, I wanted an hdmi output so i decided to spend a few dollars and upgrade my custom computer. I have an AM2 +4200, asus m2n-e motherboard with 800 ddr2 ram and an AMD HD6670 video card. Somehow while trying to update the bios through AMDFLASh, ive managed to kill the motherboard. I just spent 300 dollars on a new power supply, 1tb hard drive and the card plus labour so I want to fix this myself because the guy who did it all is a knob and doesnt get any more money.

I'm thinking getting a newer cpu and motherboard combination might be the way to go now, but im not as computer savy as i once was so I dont really know what to mix and match. I was hoping to salvage some components from my old rig like the new stuff, and ram because im tight on computer funds right now but I want to get this fixed so whatever whatever.

can anyone help me out?

mjmacky
11-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Working budget?
Typical use and most demanding expected use?

Luckily there are still decent DDR2 boards for sale (new), and under $60. You can find a great processor priced similarly. I wouldn't make the recommendation unless I knew what you needed the system to do.

HTPC, gaming rig, Word processing, Facebook browsing?

Chewie
11-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Best price/performance on a budget would probably be AMD Llano A6 or A8 CPU, compatible mobo and DDR3 RAM.

mjmacky
11-30-2011, 01:12 AM
I can't help this guy, I don't recognize him.

zot
11-30-2011, 07:35 AM
There are many ways to salvage a corrupt bios, I'd suggest trying that approach first before giving up and buying a new board.

spyrogyro
11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I agree with the post above. Most DDR2 system board have bios fail safe states and programs available on Utility DVD/CDs like Hiren's boot CD may be able to help.

That said DDR2 Boards are not as prolific as the newer DDR3 type, and you may be able to find one for the price but you'll be better suited upgrading. If you're going to upgrade your CPU as well then as previously mentioned the A6 Lano series from AMD is a solid player but the need for the Discrete Graphics card becomes redundant.

TheScrab
12-01-2011, 04:08 AM
RAM, graphics card, HDD, and PSU can be re-used, of course. If you're going to buy both a new CPU and motherboard, just go to Newegg and browse the actual combo deals for something within your budget.

dinges
12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Then just replace the parts that you broke: Motherboard and then you might as well buy some state of the art memory + cpu. Still not too expensive since you can reuse your HDD, case, power supply and GPU. I'd take an intel i7-2600(k), 2x4GB of DDR3 ram and some compatible motherboard (socket LGA1155).
Should only cost about $300 (cpu) + $40 (8gb ddr3) + $100 (motherboard).

bijoy
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
^^ buy $200 motherbaord P67/Z68 based with 2600K, otherwise it would be a waste.