PDA

View Full Version : Animal Lovers

J'Pol
11-13-2003, 11:33 PM
There certainly appear to be a lot of animal lovers on the board, given recent posts and strong emotions being expressed.

How many of you are also vegetarian or vegan. I just wonder if your affection only extends to "domestic animals" or if it is to all animals.

Perhaps your affection is only to a particular phylum. e.g. you may find mammals to be unacceptable as a source of food, whilst considering pisces fair game.

Please believe me when I say that the question is genuine. I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.

In essence, is it possible to say "I am an animal lover" whilst eating veal.

Lamsey
11-13-2003, 11:36 PM
*Raises hand

I think my views are well-known enough around here that I don't have to re-iterate them... ;)

TheDave
11-13-2003, 11:38 PM
i dont care how cute it is. if its in supply, good for me and tasty, i'll eat it.

bigboab
11-13-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:33
There certainly appear to be a lot of animal lovers on the board, given recent posts and strong emotions being expressed.

How many of you are also vegetarian or vegan. I just wonder if your affection only extends to "domestic animals" or if it is to all animals.

Perhaps your affection is only to a particular phylum. e.g. you may find mammals to be unacceptable as a source of food, whilst considering pisces fair game.

Please believe me when I say that the question is genuine. I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.

I am not necessary an 'animal lover' of the kind that you imply. I just do not like to see needless slaughter of any living thing. The use of the word 'Needless' probably covers the food issue.

J'Pol
11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+14 November 2003 - 00:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab &#064; 14 November 2003 - 00:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:33

I am not necessary an &#39;animal lover&#39; of the kind that you imply. I just do not like to see needless slaughter of any living thing. The use of the word &#39;Needless&#39; probably covers the food issue.[/b][/quote]
I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.

SniperInTheShadows
11-13-2003, 11:46 PM
I&#39;m soz to say that even though I think some animal&#39;s are great, alway&#39;s had pet&#39;s when I was growing up, I am a meat eater :-(

I&#39;m not going to make any excuses as I know in the end it&#39;s my choice what I eat, but I believe it&#39;s partialy to do with being brought up to love some animal&#39;s yet being given other&#39;s to eat and I don&#39;t think I could change my way&#39;s at this stage :-(

Sniper.

Evil Gemini
11-13-2003, 11:50 PM
ARGGHHH fuck here we go again.

Lamsey
11-13-2003, 11:50 PM
The problem is that many people are desensitized to meat.

They think that when they eat meat, it&#39;s just food - they don&#39;t associate it with animals.

When they eat venison:

http://members.aol.com/eklaw472/venison.jpg

It never crosses their mind that thay are eating this:

http://www.allegrohuskies.com/all_doepic.jpg

People just don&#39;t make the link. Because it&#39;s convenient not to think about it.

bigboab
11-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:45
I am interested in establishing how one would decide that to eat a lamb is OK, but to do the same with a pup would be offensive.
Probably because we dont have lambs runing around the house. I know years ago when my family kept chicken there was a lot of wailing etc. when one was required for the table. So I suppose the answer to your question is, what the eye does not see, the mind does not ponder on.

Lamsey
11-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@13 November 2003 - 23:51
what the eye does not see, the mind does not ponder on.
Hear hear.

TheDave
we used to keep chickens and i had no problem with eating chicken

Yogi
Hi, on a topic-rant now&#33;&#33;
This one has been done a cuople of times lately, so for most it&#39;s clear who will jump in now.

I at least expect lamsey to join in and make us all feel bad for doing our carnival likings......

I consider myself an absolut animallover.
I act this out by having a bunch of very lovely animals and donating to several charity&#39;s, amongst them brooke&#39;s hospital for horses, wich does wonders in India for maltreated or overworked horses. Money well spent&#33;&#33;&#33;
I have a horse.
I do eat horse. Not mine.
I have a rabbit.
I do eat rabbit. Not mine.
I do have a dog.
I won&#39;t eat dog. Sentimental reasons. Just don&#39;t like the idea.
I have a few cats.
Same as dogs.
I have very much fish.
I love eating fish. Not mine, they&#39;re too small.
No dolphins, too cute&#33;&#33;
I also have a girlfriend.
I eat ......[yeah, you wish&#33;&#33;]

When i was young(those days...... :rolleyes: )i once declined meat for a year. For principle reasons. We use soybeans from thirdworldcountrys to feed our cattle, you will need 8 kgr. of corn to get one kilo meat, bio-industry, henna in my long hair, doing proteststuff and bla, bla, bla.......
I just couldn&#39;t do without meat. Just too damn good.
The moment i started sneaking burgers in a backalley, i realised: this veggie-thing not for me.......

I like porterhouse steak soup, courtesy of UKman/SensualGardening&#33;&#33;&#33;

Grtz,

Yogi

Edit: The lamb issue.
I love lamb&#33;&#33; Both alive and on my plate. But will not eat one i know.
Pup is same as above under: dog.

J'Pol
11-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by SniperInTheShadows@14 November 2003 - 00:46
I&#39;m soz to say that even though I think some animal&#39;s are great, alway&#39;s had pet&#39;s when I was growing up, I am a meat eater :-(

I&#39;m not going to make any excuses as I know in the end it&#39;s my choice what I eat, but I believe it&#39;s partialy to do with being brought up to love some animal&#39;s yet being given other&#39;s to eat and I don&#39;t think I could change my way&#39;s at this stage :-(

Sniper.
You feel that environmental conditioning may be the important factor in your decision on what it is reasonable to eat and what is not ?

Thank you for the honest answer btw. It takes courage to explain your motivation in such a manner.

I suspect Hormod may have had the exactly the opposite influences, he may chose to confirm or deny this.

Lamsey
11-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:54
I suspect Hormod may have had the exactly the opposite influences, he may chose to confirm or deny this.
Yup, both parents raised me as a vegetarian. However, if I had ever decided that I wanted to eat meat, they would have respected that - as long as I could justify it ethically.

Thankfully, I&#39;ve never felt that urge.

J'Pol
11-13-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+14 November 2003 - 00:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 14 November 2003 - 00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@13 November 2003 - 23:54
Yup, both parents raised me as a vegetarian. However, if I had ever decided that I wanted to eat meat, they would have respected that - as long as I could justify it ethically.

Thankfully, I&#39;ve never felt that urge. [/b][/quote]
Thank you, I appreciate your candor.

Evil Gemini
11-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Must.....reply......cant.........no........ARGGHHHHH&#33;&#33;&#33;.......

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by neattairoski@14 November 2003 - 01:04
Must.....reply......cant.........no........ARGGHHHHH&#33;&#33;&#33;.......
No please - speak up.

I am sure that the people here will respect your right to have and express your own opinion. Even if they may not agree with it.

That would just be common courtesy.

MagicNakor
11-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Well, venison isn&#39;t fawn. Usually it looks like this:

http://www.travel2canada.com/pics/cturcotte/deer.jpg

I used to live on a working farm/orchard. It&#39;s since been sold. :( However, if you&#39;re raising animals for meat, the worst thing you can do is name them. If you name them (something other than Cow or Pig), you become personally attached, as that&#39;s the way the mind tends to work. Small children are bad for this. But you care for them to the best of your ability, and in return they care for you (animals, not small children). Life goes on.

It is quite possible to love animals and to eat them. I won&#39;t eat "baby" animals, though. For the most part, I find that it doesn&#39;t taste very good. Some "taboos" (such as eating dog or cat) is more of a social thing than anything else. In other cultures it is perfectly acceptable.

:ninja:

TheDave
11-14-2003, 12:32 AM
id eat a dog or cat. but not our alfred, i think that the names thing for ya

Lamsey
11-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Sorry MN, my mistake. I&#39;m not too hot on the links between meat names and sources, as you might expect ;)

Yes, the worst thing you can do is name an animal you intend to slaughter. Because then you realise it is an intelligent being, with a mind and emotions. That way, the fact that "murder" and "slaughter" are very, very close together becomes more apparent.

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@14 November 2003 - 01:30
Well, venison isn&#39;t fawn. Usually it looks like this:

http://www.travel2canada.com/pics/cturcotte/deer.jpg

I used to live on a working farm/orchard. It&#39;s since been sold. :( However, if you&#39;re raising animals for meat, the worst thing you can do is name them. If you name them (something other than Cow or Pig), you become personally attached, as that&#39;s the way the mind tends to work. Small children are bad for this. But you care for them to the best of your ability, and in return they care for you (animals, not small children). Life goes on.

It is quite possible to love animals and to eat them. I won&#39;t eat "baby" animals, though. For the most part, I find that it doesn&#39;t taste very good. Some "taboos" (such as eating dog or cat) is more of a social thing than anything else. In other cultures it is perfectly acceptable.

Good points - well presented.

I would happily eat venison, but I can&#39;t afford it.

It&#39;s dead deer.

Lamsey
11-14-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@14 November 2003 - 00:34
Good points - well presented.

I would happily eat venison, but I can&#39;t afford it.

It&#39;s dead deer.
Oh, you&#39;re such a ham.

TheDave
11-14-2003, 12:36 AM
:lol:

Skillian
11-14-2003, 12:37 AM
Budgie on the other hand is gorgeous - dead cheep.

sorry

Lamsey
11-14-2003, 12:38 AM
That&#39;s appaling, an utterly veal statement to make.

TheDave
11-14-2003, 12:40 AM
i dont have much beef eating cows

sorry, i couldnt get it in sutbley

Lamsey
11-14-2003, 12:44 AM
I bet you feel like a complete black pudding now.

Evil Gemini
11-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Because then you realise it is an intelligent being, with a mind and emotions. That way, the fact that "murder" and "slaughter" are very, very close together becomes more apparent.

You dont have to preech to anyone you know.

Skillian
11-14-2003, 12:49 AM
On that subject, black pudding is something I could never eat. Is dried, crusted blood eaten anywhere except the UK?

TheDave
11-14-2003, 12:52 AM
i tried it on holiday its like balsa wood.

ive also had haggis which i like but no-one else does

Yogi
11-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@14 November 2003 - 02:49
On that subject, black pudding is something I could never eat. Is dried, crusted blood eaten anywhere except the UK?
We still have bloodmedalions, quite the same.
Never liked it much. The fried apple to go with it i liked&#33;&#33;

Nowadays it&#39;s mainly older people eating it.

Yogi

MagicNakor
11-14-2003, 01:33 AM
The English are not known for their fine cuisine. ;)

And no Lamsey, you don&#39;t have to name something to realize it has emotions. :rolleyes: