PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Scratched Cd's.

ClearYourMind
02-09-2003, 03:13 AM
Ok, I heard this on a UniteTheCows forum a while back. Someone posted a tip stating that you can repair scratched cd's using toothpaste. Now they didn't give any directions, just said use toothpaste.

Anyone else hear of this or know of other tips. I tried the toothpaste thing, I don't think I did it right though, and it didn't really do anything for me. Maybe I wet it to much not sure.

Any other ideas..lol, I'm to cheep to spend the $40 bucks on a disc fixer. Plus I thought this was kinda interesting, a poor mans CD fixing.

[Remembers a time when author published that you can use penute butter instead of shaving cream and you can use Pesi to clean your toliet]

aldo
02-09-2003, 04:30 AM
I doubt the tooth paste fix a disc, even if you use it to fill the scratched (non-reflective) area of the disc. But who knows, it could prevent a virus :P

This is another poor man tip that really works -> HOW TO DESTROY A CD:
1- Get a news paper (take 1 or 2 sections)
2- Insert the CD that you want to destroy in the middle of the pages
3- Fold/roll the newspaper until the CD inside is broken

The newspaper will prevent that the particles of the CD fly when you break the CD.

___
Aldo Vargas
http://www.aldostools.com

ClearYourMind
02-09-2003, 04:54 AM
lol, I had a teacher that did that in class during a test, cuz he was bored. Without the newpaper. lol, little piece flicked me in my eye.

zapjb
02-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Regular toothpaste (not whitening too abrasive) is supposed to work on fine scratches. I know it works on watch crystals. :lol:

jubei_yagyu
02-09-2003, 06:29 AM
you can buy a kit for like $7can i use it all the time it called allsop scrathch repair kit you can fix about 50cd with the sultion it comes with its the best one iv used

iv only had to use it 3 times cuse i take care of my cds.....do you??

ClearYourMind
02-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@9 February 2003 - 06:08
Regular toothpaste (not whitening too abrasive) is supposed to work on fine scratches. I know it works on watch crystals. :lol:
Ok, see I work at a dental office, toothpaste comes free in my house.lol. Now what do you do...

Do you wet it a tiny bit first and then apply it with a cotton ball? Or apply it direct.

And are you soppsed to do the circular motion or can you just keep your finder still and spin the disc. I sware, I'm going to try this.

Lastly, any particular brands.lol, hey you never know.

Man wish I still had my Violent Femms CD. That album rocked. Can't even find it on K Lite.

keigan1888
02-09-2003, 10:50 AM
i heard if u use furniture polish and a shammy on a cd it helps scratches ???

davinda
02-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Why scratch CD's in the first place ? Do they itch or something ? :huh:

Nobody1234
02-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Try car 'polishing compound'. Works great. You can also use car wax. Don't use car 'rubbing compound' (too abrasive).

And, yes, the best is not to scratch them in the first place. :)
I have never had to do this to any of my own cds only friends...

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-09-2003, 04:55 PM
;) See this is something the RIAA does not understand...there are alot of people out there that rip their CDs to MP3s so they can put them away and not hurt them.

RDanneskjold
02-09-2003, 05:09 PM
a cool way to destroy your cd.....just put it in the microwave for no more than 3 seconds...you'll see it do little lightning sparks all over the cd...like outta some movie or something....looks cool as hell....DONT leave it in there forever though....who know what will happen.....the cd will stink when you open the door....but you'll have a cool lightening patterned cd afterwards.....post your results if you try this :lol:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by RDanneskjold@9 February 2003 - 12:09
a cool way to destroy your cd.....just put it in the microwave for no more than 3 seconds...you'll see it do little lightning sparks all over the cd...like outta some movie or something....looks cool as hell....DONT leave it in there forever though....who know what will happen.....the cd will stink when you open the door....but you'll have a cool lightening patterned cd afterwards.....post your results if you try this :lol:
:blink: Somebody should post some pictures or maybe a video. :blink: :lol:

zapjb
02-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Paste not gel. Wet it. All cotton terry cloth wet it also. apply no more than 1/2 inch paste to towel. Outward linear light application motion. Then rinse off. Shake off all excess H2O. Dry with clean, dry all cotton terry cloth (same motion). Hey if it's still scratched, try the same steps except outward light application motion. Try circular or other motion & use slightly more force. Good luck. :)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@9 February 2003 - 12:57
Paste not gel. Wet it. All cotton terry cloth wet it also. apply no more than 1/2 inch paste to towel. Outward linear light application motion. Then rinse off. Shake off all excess H2O. Dry with clean, dry all cotton terry cloth (same motion). Hey if it's still scratched, try the same steps except outward light application motion. Try circular or other motion & use slightly more force. Good luck. :)
:blink: :blink: :blink: Ummmm ok. :o

Nobody1234
02-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Wow... I just tried that microwave trick. So cool. I just set it for 3 seconds and start... 2.5 seconds of nothing and then Zap!

What a flash and nice patterns left on the cd.
http://www.imgmag.com/images/nobody1234/Zapcd.gif

valunthar
02-10-2003, 02:08 AM
perfect thing to do to cds that turn into coasters

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Nobody1234@9 February 2003 - 21:05
Wow... I just tried that microwave trick. So cool. I just set it for 3 seconds and start... 2.5 seconds of nothing and then Zap!

What a flash and nice patterns left on the cd.
http://www.imgmag.com/images/nobody1234/Zapcd.gif
;) For real Nobody...going to go do it and I don't want to be standing there and BOOM.....my whole face is on fire from the microwave blowing up. :lol:

And might be a good idea to warn people...because I am sure lawsuits could happen over an idea like this. :blink: :blink: :blink:

I can see it now...mommy mommy this kazaa lite board God said it was alright. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody1234
02-10-2003, 02:16 AM
No it won't go BOOM! But I must say my microwave is a small 700w. I have no legal liability for any problems arising from this.

Nobody1234
02-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Here is a picture of the front side of that cd.

http://www.imgmag.com/images/nobody1234/Frontzap.gif

ClearYourMind
02-10-2003, 03:43 AM
lol...

your fucking nuts. B)

Bender
02-10-2003, 11:10 AM
It could damage your microwave permanently, because a CD contains metal.

I've been doing this a couple of times myself because my microwave can even handle spoons, it's a great way to get rid of those stupid CD's you get from people you don't like... :P
"That CD you gave me - it's broke - look!" :lol:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Bender@10 February 2003 - 06:10
It could damage your microwave permanently, because a CD contains metal.

I've been doing this a couple of times myself because my microwave can even handle spoons, it's a great way to get rid of those stupid CD's you get from people you don't like... :P
"That CD you gave me - it's broke - look!" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

chev24grd
02-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+9 February 2003 - 19:00--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 9 February 2003 - 19:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--zapjb@9 February 2003 - 12:57
Paste not gel. Wet it. All cotton terry cloth wet it also. apply no more than 1/2 inch paste to towel. Outward linear light application motion. Then rinse off. Shake off all excess H2O. Dry with clean, dry all cotton terry cloth (same motion). Hey if it&#39;s still scratched, try the same steps except outward light application motion. Try circular or other motion & use slightly more force. Good luck. :)
:blink: :blink: :blink: Ummmm ok. :o [/b][/quote]
God, It&#39;s a good thing I knew what you were talking about. By the description, it sounds like something FC.
does. And I aint talkin about cds :o :D :D :D . Just bustin your balls FC. :lol: :lol:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by chev24grd+10 February 2003 - 18:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chev24grd @ 10 February 2003 - 18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@9 February 2003 - 19:00
<!--QuoteBegin--zapjb@9 February 2003 - 12:57
Paste not gel. Wet it. All cotton terry cloth wet it also. apply no more than 1/2 inch paste to towel. Outward linear light application motion. Then rinse off. Shake off all excess H2O. Dry with clean, dry all cotton terry cloth (same motion). Hey if it&#39;s still scratched, try the same steps except outward light application motion. Try circular or other motion & use slightly more force. Good luck. :)
:blink: :blink: :blink: Ummmm ok. :o
God, It&#39;s a good thing I knew what you were talking about. By the description, it sounds like something FC.
does. And I aint talkin about cds :o :D :D :D . Just bustin your balls FC. :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

pcve
02-12-2003, 04:03 AM
this is art man :)

http://hamjudo.com/notes/cd.jpg

looks like fractals:
http://www.icd.com/tsd/fractals/640x480/julia_07.jpg

//Peter

sockpuppet
02-12-2003, 04:15 AM
These cd pictures look really cool and I think it would be neat to put your AOL cds in the microwave then hang them up after you are done. Or better yet how about get an old microwave you don&#39;t want anymore and burn ten AOL cds in it one at a time. One cd for 3 seconds one cd for 5 one cd for 10....etc..etc Oh make sure you do this at a FRIEND&#39;s house not your own. Then after you are done getting all the different type of burnt cds you could post them into a frame and set it on your wall like little trophies.

If you guys want to try something that&#39;s kind of cool and doesn&#39;t damage your microwave then cut a grape in half and set it on the middle of the microwave. Make sure you leave the peel in tact though so the halves are still connected together by just the peel. It should make some cool sparks and the worst thing that can happen is that you will get a really warm grape. They taste okay after they are done too.

kylman5000
02-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Yah yah yah. I&#39;ve collected a bunch of aol cd&#39;s because my dad once told me a group was collecting them, and when they reach 1 million, then they will deliver it to aol&#39;s doorstop. I think its kinda funny. Everyone should do the cd trick. It doesnt dammage your microwave, but be careful not to burn the cd, i suggest a plate of somesort that you dont want anymore. i did a cd for 3 then 5 then 7 then 8 then 10 for fun, and it burned the glass plate. :( DONT PUT A PAPER TOWLE UNDER, it could catch fire, which is really really bad. Oh, it does sometimes make this burning cd smell, so watch out&#33;

pcve
02-12-2003, 10:30 AM
http://www.nomoreaolcds.com
1,000,000 Unwanted AOL CDs

http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/index.31.gif

jippie ka jee

chloe_cc2002
02-12-2003, 11:58 AM
And might be a good idea to warn people...because I am sure lawsuits could happen over an idea like this.&nbsp;

I can see it now...mommy mommy this kazaa lite board God said it was alright.&nbsp;

LOL

dingoBaby
02-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Nobody: could I use your cracked cd pic as a avatar? Is there a way to do that?

Nobody1234
02-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by dingoBaby@12 February 2003 - 19:11
Nobody: could I use your cracked cd pic as a avatar? Is there a way to do that?
I sent you a PM about that.

Nobody1234
02-14-2003, 12:25 AM
@dingoBaby.

Looks like it works&#33;

Another Cadaver
02-14-2003, 08:48 AM
this is art man

looks like fractals:

Dude,

That is art and before I got to the bottom of your post, I was thinking it looked like fractals. Looks like great minds think alike.

NOTE: Fractal art sells like hotcakes.

Nobody1234
02-14-2003, 03:34 PM
My "Zapped cd fractal art" is now for sale. Any bids? And by the way the images you see here have been reduced and compressed. The original images will be included with the item. :D

qwert
03-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Most of the scratches are found on the CD plastic film (polietylen film) used to protec the metalic film where the data is recorded, which is usually intact. So, if we polish the plastic film with an abrasive chemical will make its surface regular once again. Most known are: brush paste, car wax bought at supermarkets (donīt try the ones used by professional painters which too abrasive), metal polisher (liquid). Use a cottom bal with the brushpaste, carwax, etc over the scratched surface till it gets regular. Clean it with water and soap and check it out. Repeat the process till you get a good result.
I have done this several times and it worked fine. But remember something a little bit obvious: if you have copied from a CD which has a problem (scratchs), your data will be recorded with a problem too an you wonīt be able to fix it. ;)

davoo
03-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Crazy microwave cd.

Wolfmight
03-15-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+9 February 2003 - 18:47--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 9 February 2003 - 18:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RDanneskjold@9 February 2003 - 12:09
a cool way to destroy your cd.....just put it in the microwave for no more than 3 seconds...you&#39;ll see it do little lightning sparks all over the cd...like outta some movie or something....looks cool as hell....DONT leave it in there forever though....who know what will happen.....the cd will stink when you open the door....but you&#39;ll have a cool lightening patterned cd afterwards.....post your results if you try this&nbsp; :lol:
:blink: Somebody should post some pictures or maybe a video. :blink: :lol: [/b][/quote]
:blink: :ph34r: heh, wont that break your microwave?
or the cd will probably not work?
seems like a cool idea for a design though hehe :devil: :nuke:

JakeSmith
03-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by RDanneskjold@9 February 2003 - 18:09
a cool way to destroy your cd.....just put it in the microwave for no more than 3 seconds...you&#39;ll see it do little lightning sparks all over the cd...like outta some movie or something....looks cool as hell....DONT leave it in there forever though....who know what will happen.....the cd will stink when you open the door....but you&#39;ll have a cool lightening patterned cd afterwards.....post your results if you try this :lol:
if you cut a grape in half lengthways with a little bit of skin connecting the halves, then put it in the microwave for 60secs, it catches fire....
stinks too :D

Wolfmight
03-15-2003, 05:58 PM
I remeber saveing a chocolate bar in the freezer once, so later I wanted to eat it but it was all hard and stuff.
I put it in the microwave and my friend nocked on the door, so I sorta thought I put 10 seconds but I really put like 99 lol.. I forgot about it cause my friend told me something interesting..then I started to smell it.. Dang it was like super black melted coffie cue... blaa.. smelled like shit

Icey
03-15-2003, 09:54 PM
microwaves are our friends.. don&#39;t hurt them

JakeSmith
03-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@15 March 2003 - 18:58
I remeber saveing a chocolate bar in the freezer once, so later I wanted to eat it but it was all hard and stuff.
I put it in the microwave and my friend nocked on the door, so I sorta thought I put 10 seconds but I really put like 99 lol.. I forgot about it cause my friend told me something interesting..then I started to smell it.. Dang it was like super black melted coffie cue... blaa.. smelled like shit
yeah i did that @ my friends house with a Mars bar.... :lol:

frednot
03-16-2003, 04:30 PM
He he he, fun thread..

It may not be so economical but whenever i buy a new cd, a game for my kid or something, i make
a copy of it right away and stash away the original and when the copy starts to behave like an asshole,
i just make a new one... No damaged originals here, lol.. :P

Loved that microwave stuff, gotta try it i think.. :rolleyes:

/Fredrik

downloader2008
03-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by pcve@12 February 2003 - 05:30
http://www.nomoreaolcds.com
1,000,000 Unwanted AOL CDs

http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/index.31.gif

jippie ka jee
Heh... Their pictures are pretty funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

metalrebelzz
03-17-2003, 02:15 PM
you&#39;ve all seen those music videos that are covered with CD&#39;s, it would be awesome to do a whole room with ONLY aol cd&#39;s hahahaha, and then take a pic of it and send it to the CEO and a the bottom of the email, put "Youve Got Mail&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;"

lmfao

yeah, im like half asleep and a lil bit drunk...... :lol: :rolleyes:

Bender
03-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by qwert@14 March 2003 - 15:41
Most of the scratches are found on the CD plastic film (polietylen film) used to protec the metalic film where the data is recorded, which is usually intact. So, if we polish the plastic film with an abrasive chemical will make its surface regular once again. Most known are: brush paste, car wax bought at supermarkets (donīt try the ones used by professional painters which too abrasive), metal polisher (liquid). Use a cottom bal with the brushpaste, carwax, etc over the scratched surface till it gets regular. Clean it with water and soap and check it out. Repeat the process till you get a good result.
I have done this several times and it worked fine. But remember something a little bit obvious: if you have copied from a CD which has a problem (scratchs), your data will be recorded with a problem too an you wonīt be able to fix it. ;)
I believe qwert made a nice summary on how to repair scratched CD&#39;s.

I&#39;m closing this topic now, any topics on destroying CD&#39;s/Mars bars/Microwave ovens are welcome in the Lounge. :lol: