PDA

View Full Version : Windows What do you think about windows xp life coming to an end?

Stabber
12-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi there !

I was wondering what do you think about windows xp , probably the best os microsoft released till today coming to an end .

About 50% or less of steam users still use windows xp , and new games seem to drop support for directx 9 , therefore for windows xp.

I've checked most new games , and they seem to support xp , such as batman arkham city , prototype 2 ,mw3 , but some dropped support such as battlefield 3 and need for speed the run , although xp will be supported till April 2014 .

What is ain't broken , don't fix it , and don't drop support for it :) , since most organizations and businesses still use xp .

And if 50% of steam users use xp , won't the game industries lose a lot of cash because of that ? If only they had a directx9 version as well it would be best for everyone .

I belive that if there was directx 10/11 for windows xp , and the drivers for it , microsoft would lose a lot of earnings from windows 7.

mjmacky
12-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I really don't mind it, the base stone has to be moved every once in awhile. It's been 10 years, Win7 will work as the next base, let's move it people.

Expeto
12-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I belive that if there was directx 10/11 for windows xp , and the drivers for it , microsoft would lose a lot of earnings from windows 7. I agree with that, the xp was one of the best. But I'm not taking support until 2014 claims seriously, as last year microsoft rejected to replace my scratched original XP cd, their excuse was "We don't make them anymore", they tried to sell me vista, I briefly told them go fuck themselves. In paper support might be still active, but on reality its pretty dead.

mjmacky
12-15-2011, 06:26 PM
as last year microsoft rejected to replace my scratched original XP cd, their excuse was "We don't make them anymore", they tried to sell me vista

Wha? Why wouldn't they try to sell you Win7?

esco123
01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
I still use xp and still will until it's no longer supported, it's great, but things should move on, I think the whole way we use pc will be different due to tablets and so on..

bijoy
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Still use winxp in 2 of my PCs, and will continue to do so. I never update any windows OS, so I don't think it will affect my in anyways.

Cabalo
01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
This household is 100% free of Windows XP.
Terrible RAM management and its kernel were the major issues with that OS.

Artemis
01-04-2012, 05:51 AM
This household is 100% free of Windows XP.
Terrible RAM management and its kernel were the major issues with that OS.

The RAM management wasn't bad for it's day, it is just that 10 years on most apps are multicore capable and are using more RAM in the process, but then over the last 10 years we run more software simultaneously as well, with the 3.75GB memory limit of the 32bit O/S it is beginning to date rapidly now.
The major problem with the kernel was how the API's accessed the kernel services, the device contention for these API's (particularly audio) plus the fact that a failure of an API caused a system dump (BSOD) was a major stability factor.