PDA

View Full Version : Free Newsdemon accounts for university & charity employees

OldIronTits
12-08-2011, 01:00 AM
http://www.newsdemon.com/free-usenet-form.php

I have & love Astraweb, but I am definitely going to try to use this to help out friends & relative(s).

zot
12-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd like to know what the secret monthly bandwidth limit is on these free accounts before a customer will get throttled or kicked. Newsdemon and Thundernews (its "sister" company) seem to set the limits on "unlimited" accounts in proportion to how much a person is paying, so free accounts are anyone's guess.

Stabber
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I will try to get a free account there , thanks for the info

JustDOSE
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
lol, now thats a leech for you....... stealing from charity.......

LazyGuy
12-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Okay
so i am not in any charity, nor am i a professor in some college
is there any chance i could still make an account there for free?

zot
12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I wonder if charity "workers" include CEOs and other executives, as it's no secret that the people running charities often pay themselves a fortune out of those begged-for donations.

You could tell Newsdemon that you are Glenn Lowry, the head of New York’s Museum of Modern Art, and you badly need this free account because you just can't make ends meet on your $3 million/year (plus free luxury apartment) that this miserly charity pays you. :whistling:

Stabber
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm studying at a university and i have a uni email address , i requested an account there but still no response . It seems that it will work only for professors , whose name is appeared on the university website .

backlash
12-17-2011, 09:26 PM
it takes forever for a response. I had to send an email to support to get them to look into giving me the account. It's 3 month/30GB. I requested it again after the 3 months were up and then it was 3 month/15GB. I requested it a 3rd time with no response.

zot
12-18-2011, 01:33 AM
it takes forever for a response. I had to send an email to support to get them to look into giving me the account. It's 3 month/30GB. I requested it again after the 3 months were up and then it was 3 month/15GB. I requested it a 3rd time with no response.
I'm not surprised that this was (apparently) more of a marketing gimmick than a sincere offer of bona fide free accounts. NewsDemon/Thundernews seems to have a habit of promising more than they actually deliver -- as well as selectively ignoring people that they'd rather not deal with.

So this is really a trial account that just happens to be identical to the 3 month/30GB trial offered by NewsgroupDirect -- a company whose mailing address is just a short drive away from the NewsDemon/Thundernews maildrop.

I've always wondered if NewsgroupDirect is related to the ownership of NewsDemon and Thundernews, and this adds another notch of circumstantial evidence to that suspicion.

It's great that NewsDemon et al. offers free (no-cc) trials and occasional specials, but personally I just wish they would quit playing games all the time and be more honest about what they actually offer.

aktiv8
12-24-2011, 09:05 AM
I've had several of these accounts as work in academia, but they take ages to set up, and are pretty limited in terms of limits, BUT they were good solving any issues and always good as a small fill server