PDA

View Full Version : Boxing

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Is it really a sport and a form of entertainment.

Every rational part of me says that ritualized aggression should be banned and that we should not watch two people inflict serious physical damage on each other. Particularly as they are physically extremely fit and trained to cause pain and suffering on another human being.

However I watch boxing on television, I go to see it live and I love the excitement and the fact that it is a real competition.

Is this justifiable.

Spider_dude
11-14-2003, 12:08 AM
yes.

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@14 November 2003 - 01:08
yes.
OK - Please close this topic.

TheDave
11-14-2003, 12:10 AM
theyre not forced into it. dont worry

have you been off the pc for the last week or something :o

Lamsey
11-14-2003, 12:10 AM
I view it as pretty barbaric, and don't take any pleasure from watching two guys beat the crap out of each other. It's not any different from gladiatorial combat, really, the only difference is you end up dribbling in a wheelchair instead of being munched by a lion.

That's just me, though.

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@14 November 2003 - 01:10
I view it as pretty barbaric, and don't take any pleasure from watching two guys beat the crap out of each other. It's not any different from gladiatorial combat, really, the only difference is you end up dribbling in a wheelchair instead of being munched by a lion.

That's just me, though.
You feel it may be a "Bread and Circuses" thing ?

Evil Gemini
11-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Lets all be la di da and have pink little flowers in our hair and spin on the ground like teletubbies la di da di da..

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by neattairoski@14 November 2003 - 01:13
Lets all be la di da and have pink little flowers in our hair and spin on the ground like teletubbies la di da di da..
No thanks, but to each their own.

If that's what makes you happy, who am I to judge ?

Spider_dude
11-14-2003, 12:18 AM
a vulcan by the look of your avatar, lol

i like boxing i quite fancied doing it, but the pain scared me. i do enjoy watching a good fight on the tv, but when it is boring i tend to turn over.

Skillian
11-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Is it really a sport and a form of entertainment.

It's the purest form of sport there is. Pure competition, and entirely reliant on physical condition and skill.

Yeah it's dangerous, but so is all sport. As is often pointed out, more serious/fatal injuries ocur in horse riding than boxing (please don't ask me to back that up with evidence).

Evil Gemini
11-14-2003, 12:23 AM
I was being sarcastic.

I love boxing and if i was in shape i would definately do it.

Be a good way to let of some steam.

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@14 November 2003 - 01:18
a vulcan by the look of your avatar, lol

i like boxing i quite fancied doing it, but the pain scared me. i do enjoy watching a good fight on the tv, but when it is boring i tend to turn over.
Please believe me when I say, the pain is really sore.

Having practiced several martial arts (including boxing) I can say with some conviction that a good punch in the head is not the most painful thing I have ever felt.

However I wouldn't chose it as a birthday present.

Skillian
11-14-2003, 12:27 AM
I'd just do it after 8 cans of Stella :D . I've been punched in the head when drunk and I hardly felt a thing.

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@14 November 2003 - 01:27
I'd just do it after 8 cans of Stella :D . I've been punched in the head when drunk and I hardly felt a thing.
Have you been punched in the head by someone who really knew how to do it ?

SniperInTheShadows
11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
If they didn't want to do it then they wouldn't. If it was made illegal then it would just become an underground sport where there are less safety precaution's and more fatalities would come from it.

I used to enjoy watching the matches between Chris Eubank, Lennox Lewis, Frank Bruno, Prince Nassem, and there was an Irish guy in one of the lighter weight division's that was good too, but they were all boxers that wanted to do it and wanted to entertain the crowd it seemed to me.

Sniper.

Skillian
11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
It wasn't just a punch. Believe me, if I'd been sober it would have hurt a lot. But if it came to Lennox Lewis, I think I'd up it to 16 cans and let him hit me while I'm already unconcious.

edit: although I don't think that would be classed as sport...

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@14 November 2003 - 01:33
It wasn't just a punch. Believe me, if I'd been sober it would have hurt a lot. But if it came to Lennox Lewis, I think I'd up it to 16 cans and let him hit me while I'm already unconcious.

edit: although I don't think that would be classed as sport...
If Lennox hit you properly, no matter how many cans, you would die.

It's not about pain, it's about what happens to your head and the back of your neck.

A really good punch is not that sore, you are unconscious before you hit the floor.

Skillian
11-14-2003, 12:46 AM
Actually, I think if I drank 16 cans of Stella I'd be dead already...

J'Pol
11-14-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@14 November 2003 - 01:46
Actually, I think if I drank 16 cans of Stella I'd be dead already...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

j2k4
11-14-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by J'Pol@13 November 2003 - 20:43
If Lennox hit you properly, no matter how many cans, you would die.

Change the "would" to "could" and I'll buy it J'Pol.

People don't know how true this is.

I've hit and been hit by trained and un-trained individuals.

There is much that is not apparent to the neophyte, yes?

There is also a phenomenon known as "heavy hands" that you have to feel to appreciate.

When you get hit by someone "gifted" thus, you will think (as you lie on the canvas, vibrating) that, as soon as you are able, you must check your body for huge, gaping holes.

hobbes
11-14-2003, 04:55 AM
Well, boxing is something that you would be arrested for in the streets, so I am not a fan.

The corruption in the sport puts it marginally above wrestling.

My opinion is that many poor souls are lured there for fame and fortune and end up inmates. Boxing has no redeemable value in my book.

OmniZero123
11-14-2003, 05:02 AM
i dont care much for watching boxing. but recently me and some friends have started training oursleves mainly for fun. i pity the poor fella who picks a fight with one of us though.

j2k4
11-14-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@14 November 2003 - 00:55
Well, boxing is something that you would be arrested for in the streets, so I am not a fan.

My opinion is that many poor souls are lured there for fame and fortune and end up inmates. Boxing has no redeemable value in my book.
After many years of being a fan, I have come, by and large, to the same conclusion.

On the odd occasion an interesting match is made, you get an uninteresting result.

All one really needs to know are two names:

Don King and Bob Arum.

The biggest snotballs in the game.

brotherdoobie
11-14-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by j2k4+14 November 2003 - 00:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 14 November 2003 - 00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@14 November 2003 - 00:55

My opinion is that many poor souls are lured there for fame and fortune and end up inmates.&nbsp; Boxing has no redeemable value in my book.
After many years of being a fan, I have come, by and large, to the same conclusion.

On the odd occasion an interesting match is made, you get an uninteresting result.

All one really needs to know are two names:

Don King and Bob Arum.

The biggest snotballs in the game. [/b][/quote]
There are some good fighters out there still.
Roy Jones Jr to name one.

I agree about the corruption in boxing and it&#39;s a shame.
I dont agree with the notion that there is no redeeming
quality in the sport.

Boxing as in any sport is a outlet for so many. I boxed as a youth along with playing Football (American),Basketball and Football (Brithish). Sports kept me involved and gave me something to care about when I had nothing.
I could of easily fallen into the same traps as my friends and been "slingin rock
on the block".

Peace brotherdoobie B)

UKMan
11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Damn - it took me a while before i realised you wer&#39;nt taking about packaging stuff - sorry, my misstake - i wont say anymore here B)

Peace
UKMan

Billy_Dean
11-14-2003, 07:55 AM
I boxed as a kid, always within my weight class tho, getting hit by someone who can punch is awesome, the first thing that springs to mind is "how the fuck do I get out of here", that&#39;s when the self defence part kicks in. When I was 17 I was beaten up by four huge coppers, every punch felt like being hit with a sledgehammer. I "died" just as they got me to the operating theatre.

OmniZero123, if you think training yourself with a few mates is gonna make you invincible, you&#39;d better think again, fighters are born, not bred.

PS. Welcome back JP**** we kinda missed you.

:)

UKMan
11-14-2003, 08:33 AM
The last couple of years at school for me were at a boys school. Boxing was on the agenda every week for ALL boys, so no-one could escape it. But, if ever there was a fight in the playground, then the masters would come out directly and put gloves on the boys and then wisk them off into the gym for all to watch 3 rounds of "gentleman bashing" as we called it. Not many of them survived more that maybe 2 rounds at most, not because they were knocked out, but because it was so tough to box by the rules.

I like to watch good professional boxing, as long as the umpire is good too. Many boxing matches have been total dissasters because the umpire is a twat.

Peace
UKMan

DarthInsinuate
11-14-2003, 02:16 PM
i think Boxing is a good sport, but not good entertainment - having boxed a little myself i find it in a way relaxing, it builds self-esteem because of its competitive nature
its not good entertainment because by watching it, in a way, you are watching someone get pummeled for laughs

Spider_dude
11-14-2003, 02:43 PM
i watched ko tv late last night on channel 4 and there was an absolute shocking fight.
it was between some guy who used to be some sort of world champ but was now 34, and some small argentinian radge. the argie kicked the guys head in in the first round. it went to the second and he knocked the guy down for a second time. it was horrible the old guy couldn&#39;t stand in one place he was all over the shop, the ref gave him the customary 8 count but let him carry on. the commentators were raging as was i, and then the argie came at him and caught him a beauty. i felt physically sick at seeing this, you know when you see an unfair fight on tv or in life and the guy is getting his head stamped on and there is nothing you can do about it.
the commentators were saying the ref was a dick and that he should be in trouble for letting it happen. when the old guy was knocked down you saw everyone rush into the ring to remove his mouthguard and make sure he was alright.

anyway my point is boxing is enjoyable as long as the ref is a good one.

Mr. Mulder
11-14-2003, 03:00 PM
It all depends on who&#39;s fighting. If its someone like Lenox Lewis who does the sport justice then its totally acceptable. But if you&#39;ve got an absolute disgrace like Mike Tyson who&#39;s in it purely for the rep and money then it shouldn&#39;t be allowed.

There should however be tougher rules on who should have a license and who shouldn&#39;t.

(btw, I&#39;m not saying that Mike&#39;s a bad boxer, he was one of the best. But now he&#39;s gone down hill and is unstable, he&#39;s now a disgrace to the sport of Boxing)

…and then theirs people like Audley Harrison who …actually I&#39;ll leave it at that :lol:

WolverineDK
11-14-2003, 03:28 PM
hmmm getting your brain smashed by Boxing ?
no way &#33; i think Boxing is a fight where you will get seriously hurt so that is not my ball game not even when i practice JKD in Denmark where Boxing is incoperated in the style
so Boxing ? No &#33;
i like better Watching UFC and eat good chinese food imo. :)

OmniZero123
11-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@14 November 2003 - 07:55
OmniZero123, if you think training yourself with a few mates is gonna make you invincible, you&#39;d better think again, fighters are born, not bred.

i was born a fighter. dunno why or how but its true. sure training with just some buddies isnt gonna make me invincible or anything buts its fun, and it will greatly improve my fighting ability. if i were to take lessons from a professional in any self defense i would excel and rule my weight catogory.