PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload Mega Song - WTF?

temisturk
12-10-2011, 04:01 AM
I've just seen this and the song is crap but I can't believe they got those people to sing it. And yet I've googled around and there doesn't seem to be any suggestion anywhere that it is other than genuine. What do you think it means? The RIAA must be having multiple heart attacks right now.

Will we look back on this in a few years time as being a game changing moment?

Cabalo
12-10-2011, 04:04 AM
It IS genuine.
Here for more info: http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-label-artists-a-list-stars-endorse-megaupload-in-new-song-111209/

temisturk
12-10-2011, 04:43 AM
I'd seen that (but thanks) but I was more wondering what people thought about it? I mean those are major RIAA artists publicly endorsing a service the RIAA is attacking. There has to be some fallout from that.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 02:40 PM
The artists and RIAA are separate entities. I don't see why all artists need to act as finger puppets to the antiquated anti-consumer policies of the RIAA and MPAA. Not to mention that MegaUpload can be used any which way a user needs or wants to use it. In fact, I've never actually used Megaupload as a piracy medium, I've only used it to package files (data, pictures, presentations, PDFs) to send back and forth between home and my office (when I didn't have a USB on hand), since email attachments have file size limits.

Reading that article Cabalo linked to, there is a balogna video posted on how content theft is going to destroy the industry. Just another example of either how far out of touch they are, or how committed to raping consumers they are.

http://vimeo.com/32592166

SuperTech
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the RIAA/MPAA are losing money because of the crap content they are putting out, not because people are watching movies online. Who wants
to drop $40 or more to go sit in a movie theater with a bucket of popcorn and a slushie? Most movies coming out are just re-makes of yesteryear.

I watch the TV show Top Secret Recipe right from CMT.COM over my Internet connection. They make money through advertising both on TV and the
online version. They are happy and I am happy. I think the MPAA needs to be a little more creative in generating revenue. Maybe if you go see a movie
at a theater, they can give you a voucher that would allow you to watch the movie 30 days online for free afterwards?

I just think the whole concept of movie theaters is fading out. Some movie theaters have bed bug infestations in their chairs or you have to deal with
the guy with BO or having a coughing fit or talking too loud to his drunk buddy. Why deal with all that when you can order the movie through your
cable company's STB for $4.99 or watch it online via Netflix from the comfort of your home?

This seems just a spastic response, much like the Betamax case of 1976: http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=betamaxcase
You have to ask: if all infringing sites were shut down, would these people actually go out and buy the movie or pay to see it? My guess is no.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Simply, they need to compete. The not well thought out response to that is, "how can they compete with a free or extremely cheap service, i.e. theft?" The answer is simple, they don't operate on low overhead, therefore they COULD come up with a better distribution than what filesharing currently offers. That means content should be easy to find, easy and quick to acquire, and easy to pay. Currently, media piracy is low cost (if none), and we're supposed to think that with the capital they have they couldn't do it better?

Currently, their method of operation tries to eliminate the possibility of providing competition with sources with little regard to their end users, i.e. DRM. That's what is destroying their competitive edge against filesharing. That, and their services are slow and unreasonably priced.

Essentially, they suffer from lack of vision.

allstar323
12-21-2011, 09:26 PM
I lol'ed when I first heard it ,but they also have videos of the celebs promoting the site too.

MikeB
01-14-2012, 07:39 AM
the movie industry needs to focus more on creating fantastic movies rather than suing teenagers. movies like avatar that break boundries sell to the same person tonnes over, ive got lots of avatar memoribilia, dvd AND bluray for it

elbuitre
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
black people luuuuuurve megaupload