PDA

View Full Version : Hardware ANDROID: Apps you can't live without

Cabalo
12-11-2011, 04:19 AM
So, who on this board is using android phones?

I currently have 2 handsets (the LG Optimus 3D and the ZTE Libra) and I find myself testing new apps all the time looking for something interesting/useful.

Here is a small list of those I can't live without:

Rom Manager
AppExtractor
ZDbox
Go Launcher
Dolphin HD
JaxtrSMS
Viber
Box
Friendcaster Pro
Tapatalk
imo
Pulse
Soundhound
Skydrive Browser
Swiftkey X
Tasker
I have plenty more but these are the first ones I install after I flash each new ROM.

By the way, anyone buying stuff off the market sales? Bought Swiftkey, Soundhound, Minecraft and Reckless Racing so far. Best 40 cents ever spent. :happy:

mjmacky
12-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Still using a Galaxy S

Besides all the Google must haves (Gmail, Maps, etc.) this is my list:

Barcode Scanner (for regular and QR code)
ES File Explorer (file browser that lets me browse Samba shares over WiFi)
Gauge Battery (lets me know how long I've been off the charger)
GPS Status (for assistance data download and other info)
Handcent SMS (would not do text messaging any other way)
MoboPlayer (handles EVERY video I've thrown at it, allows option for playing files using soft decoding methods when they aren't hardware compliant)
NPR News (for Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and some Fresh Air interviews)
ROM Manager (obvious, but I've been sticking with Cognition)
Root Explorer (namesake's reasons)
SlideIT Keyboard (Prefer over Swype for language support and method of entering words into dictionary)
SoundHound (obvious)
Speed Test (for when I'm suspicious about network speeds)
SQLite Editor (for tweaking app settings not accessible otherwise and other info)
Titanium Backup (obvious)
Voice (Google product, but seemed niche enough to worth mentioning, primary voicemail management)
WiFi Manager (prefer over default)
Wikidroid (better interface than browser)
XBMC Remote (XBMC responds faster to this app than it does with my IR receiver, since I'm running it over Linux)

Quarterquack
12-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Galaxy SII:

AdFree (Gets rid of Ads, a necessity with a market like this)
aDosBox (Gaming, self-explanatory)
Advanced Task Killer
Andie Graph (TI-86 calculator on the go)
androidVNC (Used to virtualize an sd-mounted Ubuntu usually)
AndroIRC
Barnacle Wifi Tether (Life saver!)
Dropbox
FPSe (PS1 Gaming on the go - currently FF3)
Minecraft PE
OnLive
Plume (Most amazing functional twitter widget on the market)
Pokemon Online
Reddit is fun golden platinum edition (Using the widget with /r/science)
Sixaxis Controller (For proper PS1 gaming experiences)
Swiftkey X (Default Android keyboard blows)
Terminal Emulator (Again, for virtualizing Ubuntu mainly)

By the way, anyone buying stuff off the market sales? Bought Swiftkey, Soundhound, Minecraft and Reckless Racing so far. Best 40 cents ever spent. :happy:

I've just grabbed Age of Zombies, Apparatus, and Great Little War Game thus far.
I don't understand the people buying everything. I simply go for "interesting" games which I don't think are worth full price. GLWG is the only one that proved worth the 10c.

Cabalo
12-12-2011, 05:37 AM
@Darth: have you tried baconreader (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.onelouder.baconreader&feature=search_result) for reddit? Pretty good app.
Instead Adfree I use Absolute System Root Tools, pretty handy for some root customization too.

@mjmacky: ES File Manager is pretty good indeed to access Samba shares, and as far as I know it has the only decent player to directly stream video from those shares. For file management I use Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/android.htm) though.

Quarterquack
12-14-2011, 12:25 AM
@Darth: have you tried baconreader (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.onelouder.baconreader&feature=search_result) for reddit? Pretty good app.
Instead Adfree I use Absolute System Root Tools, pretty handy for some root customization too.

I tried baconreader based on your recommendation, but the inability to scroll through reddits from the widget (it only has time lapse updating) makes it useless for me. If they allow me to scroll reddits from my home screen, they can easily be my go-to reddit reader. Obligatory context screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/nHLTCl.png http://i.imgur.com/EbYzsl.png

Also, since my last post, I purchased SoundHound, Beautiful Widgets and Sketchbook Pro. Starting to feel like I got a lot of quality stuff for <$1.

Glaucon
12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
These are the apps I use the most:

AdFree - in order to take care of all the nasty ads
Astrid Tasks - task management with sync to Google Tasks and a beautiful interface
Google Authenticator - I need this for 2-step verification on my Google and LastPass accounts (safety first!)
Documents To Go - in case I need to edit or look up a document on the go (happens to me a lot), the ability to connect to Google Docs doesn't hurt either
Dropbox - if I need to upload something and am in a hurry (don't really use it that much, but when I need it, it's invaluable)
File Expert - a fine file manager, has some advanced features which however I tend not to use
GNotes - if I need to take a note, love the fact that I can just scribble on it if in a hurry
RepliGo Reader - for viewing PDFs
Samba Filesharing - quick file transfer from and to the computer over wifi
SetCPU - helps me conserve a lot of battery by scaling the CPU usage
SSHTunnel - in order to protect myself from vulnerable wifi networks
SwiftKey X - a keyboard replacement, and a darn fine one
Titanium Backup - useful when flashing a new rom, so I can quickly restore all the apps I had before
Unlock With WiFi - so my phone doesn't lock itself when connected to the home wifi

Cabalo
12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Another good one which allows me to individually control application permissions as they are requested, very much like it works on windows with UAC. Of course, you need root access.

Lbe Privacy Guard (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lbe.security.lite&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sYmUuc2VjdXJpdHkubGl0ZSJd)

mjmacky
12-19-2011, 03:51 AM
I notice all of you guy are onto the Swiftkey bandwagon. I haven't heard anything new about Blindtype since I saw the video awhile back, but this seems to be the spiritual rival of that app/implementation. Personally, I don't like to dual thumb my typing (maybe I would with a tablet for obvious reasons), so I'm sticking with the sliding type keyboards for now. If I ever snatch up a tablet, I'll know which typing app to grab, so thanks.

tombrady
12-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Adobe Reader
ColorNote (adds sticky notes to your phone background with a long press)
Google Goggles (good for barcodes, QR, and recognition of more famous buildings etc.)
Handcent
RingDroid (inphone ringtone maker)
SeekDroid (for when someone steals it, or i can't remember where i put it)
Soundhound
Wolfram Alpha

Cabalo
12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
I notice all of you guy are onto the Swiftkey bandwagon. I haven't heard anything new about Blindtype since I saw the video awhile back, but this seems to be the spiritual rival of that app/implementation. Personally, I don't like to dual thumb my typing (maybe I would with a tablet for obvious reasons), so I'm sticking with the sliding type keyboards for now. If I ever snatch up a tablet, I'll know which typing app to grab, so thanks.
I never really liked the stock android keyboard, neither the customized one provided by LG. Heard good things about HTC's IME, which comes preinstalled on some ROM's I've used before, but never paid attention to it. Some people just can't use any other keyboard.
It's easy to find the .apk at XDA, if you can't find it, shoot me a PM.

mjmacky
12-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I never really liked the stock android keyboard, neither the customized one provided by LG. Heard good things about HTC's IME, which comes preinstalled on some ROM's I've used before, but never paid attention to it. Some people just can't use any other keyboard.
It's easy to find the .apk at XDA, if you can't find it, shoot me a PM.

I feel like I'm giving off the impression that I use the stock keyboard. I don't use it either, currently using SlideIT. Works perfect for 1-thumb typing. The Galaxy S came preinstalled with an old version of Swype that you couldn't update. It was a godsend at the time as touch inaccuracies were what I most feared when finally getting a touchscreen phone.

Google Goggles (good for barcodes, QR, and recognition of more famous buildings etc.)

Didn't know Google had their own. Just as functional or better than Barcode Scanner I'm guessing?

esco123
12-31-2011, 12:21 PM
i use root explorer for file manager

Cabalo
12-31-2011, 04:06 PM
I feel like I'm giving off the impression that I use the stock keyboard. I don't use it either, currently using SlideIT. Works perfect for 1-thumb typing. The Galaxy S came preinstalled with an old version of Swype that you couldn't update. It was a godsend at the time as touch inaccuracies were what I most feared when finally getting a touchscreen phone.

I never managed to get a grip with SlideIT, though with Swiftkey it was love at first sight.
Its usage statistics say it has saved me over 13000 hits with its text prediction. Amazing!

i use root explorer for file manager
Total Commander was the shit until they removed it off the market, now I prefer Root Browser.

esco123
12-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Can I ask why you payed for SwiftKey? I use that too really great, although I don't think it saves me time typing think the statistics are there to make you believe you are. I use it simply because I love the pumpkin theme

Cabalo
12-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Because it was costing 10 cents on the market 10 billion downloads promotions couple of weeks ago.
And I really believe its automated learning and statistics.

esco123
12-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I personally think the htc keyboard is better, but can't beat the pumpkin skin, and i don't think I've typed faster with SwiftKey, maybe because I typed pretty quick. I really wanted to use swype, but couldn't give it the time to adjust to, I found i had to think in order to type rather than just type naturally

mjmacky
01-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I personally think the htc keyboard is better, but can't beat the pumpkin skin, and i don't think I've typed faster with SwiftKey, maybe because I typed pretty quick. I really wanted to use swype, but couldn't give it the time to adjust to, I found i had to think in order to type rather than just type naturally

Yeah, but think of it this way, whichever way you learn to type starts to feel natural after awhile. I used to be able to type quickly using the number pad, now I can type quickly sliding my right thumb around. Once we get holographic keyboards, I'm pretty sure I'll learn how to type quickly with karate motions.

Cabalo
01-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Personally I have never tried the swype method, it never seemed it would work for me. I believe it can be useful for texting while driving though, but as swiftkey has an excellent error correction, I never saw the need to try something different.

adulti
01-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Handcent
Adobe Reader
Documents To Go
Dropbox
File Expert
AndroIRC
Dropbox

esco123
01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Handcent
Adobe Reader
Documents To Go
Dropbox
File Expert
AndroIRC
Dropbox

personally i prefer gosms, really good alternative text app.

esco123
01-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Is there an application which increases in call volume, I've tried volume+ but doesn't make a difference imo?.

mjmacky
01-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I've been using Dolphin HD for a few weeks now and am UBER satisfied with it as a replacement over the default browser. Just wanted to say. Gestures (after I redrew all of them), make the whole thing work so much more functionally, and all without losing that integrated feel of using a stock browser.

Glaucon
01-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I've been using Dolphin HD for a few weeks now and am UBER satisfied with it as a replacement over the default browser. Just wanted to say. Gestures (after I redrew all of them), make the whole thing work so much more functionally, and all without losing that integrated feel of using a stock browser.

It's also got Xmarks and LastPass addons for all the bookmark/password syncing needs. <3

Is there an application which increases in call volume, I've tried volume+ but doesn't make a difference imo?.

Not sure if you're having trouble hearing or if you're phone is really not that loud, but mine is too loud so I have to turn the call volume down to about a quarter. Are you sure yours is set correctly? I mean, the regular Android call volume setting. You just hit the volume up/down buttons while in the middle of a call.

esco123
01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah iv tried to increase it but it's not loud enough in a busy environment I have to press it tight against my ear

Glaucon
01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah iv tried to increase it but it's not loud enough in a busy environment I have to press it tight against my ear

Haven't tried it but maybe Equalizer can help?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

esco123
01-22-2012, 08:53 PM
I've tried that, that doesn't effect in-call volume..

Glaucon
01-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but if that's the case then I suppose you'll just have to do with pressing it against the ear or walking out of the busy environment you speak of. Everything has it's limits.

JebusAT
01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Galaxy S II LTE and
Galaxy Tab 10.1

Cheetah Sync <--- great wireless transfer app!!!

esco123
01-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but if that's the case then I suppose you'll just have to do with pressing it against the ear or walking out of the busy environment you speak of. Everything has it's limits.

Not a problem was just looking for support so thank you for that, btw what phone you have, I heard with the galaxy nexus the in call volume is low to

esco123
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Galaxy S II LTE and
Galaxy Tab 10.1

Cheetah Sync <--- great wireless transfer app!!!

I prefer wifi file explorer although it won't sync automatically but then you have dropbox for that

Glaucon
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
btw what phone you have, I heard with the galaxy nexus the in call volume is low to

HTC Desire. Rooted, flashed and all the other jolly features accompanying it.

esco123
01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
btw what phone you have, I heard with the galaxy nexus the in call volume is low to

HTC Desire. Rooted, flashed and all the other jolly features accompanying it.

I have the newer model and find the volume lower i think the original has a better speaker

esco123
01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Can't live without tapatalk

Also found app called snowdeer, really cool app and free takes screenshots of ENTIRE webpages, could be useful however found that the quality of pics is not up to scratch

sandman_1
01-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Roam Control (For forcing roam on Sprint.)
2x Client (RDP into my Windows machine)
AndFTP
ConnectBot
Dice Player
ES File Explorer
Fing
Flashlight
Gas Buddy
Opera Mobile Full version
TuneIN Radio
WiFi Analyzer
WoL Wake On Lan Wan

Some of the ones I can't live without...

esco123
01-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Clocksync

Training4all
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Pocket cloud is pretty hot!!

Artemis
02-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Since I like utilities to tell me what my devices are up to, the most essential utilities are:
Android Assistant
GPS Essentials
Network Info II
WiFi Manager

Avast Mobile Security for baddies (and it has caught a couple of malware apps on my tablet).
XBMC Remote, it is as responsive as an infrared remote and easier to run with a big touchscreen phone
Personally I still like firefox with the ABPlus addon loaded as my browser.
ES File Explorer
Launcher Pro
Trillian for Android (integrates with my trillian client on my PC)
Titanium Backup

I'm not really a gamer so.....

On my tablet I have some Imaging apps loaded as well

Pixlr-o-matic
Photoshop Express
Picasso Magic (for the kids)
SketchbookFX
Skitch
BeFunky

dreamgirl
02-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Apps 2 SD
Volume Locker

Cabalo
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
I've been using an excellent one, quite useful if you have a phone with a small /data partition.
It's called link2sd (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5idWFrLkxpbmsyU0QiXQ..), and you will need to create an additional partition on your SD card to use this feature. Root required.

Really great!

Glaucon
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I've been using an excellent one, quite useful if you have a phone with a small /data partition.
It's called link2sd (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5idWFrLkxpbmsyU0QiXQ..), and you will need to create an additional partition on your SD card to use this feature. Root required.

Really great!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310309

AD2SDX worked great for me as well. You flash it and forget about it, no manual work needed with individual apps.

Artemis
02-14-2012, 07:06 AM
I have found an interesting app called Switch Me. Your phone needs to be rooted to take advantage of it, but what the app does is create a profile for your google accounts, you can then have additional profiles loaded so in effect this gives the phone multiple user profiles. Media is still shared of course but this is still an interesting app if you are going to share the phone for any reason.

hjsq
02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I just bought Samsung Galaxy 1. Works good.

mpampis
03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
3g wachdog
adfree
dropbox
poweramp
rootexpolrer
titaniumbackup
adw launcher ex

CindyC
03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
My list is