PDA

View Full Version : FLAC Scene Tracker?

campodetenis
12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
With the creation of the Flac scene, and being a long time mp3 scene fan (I know, I know, what a lame n00b) I was wondering which are the best trackers to find this kind of releases. Suggestions?

(Hope this is not the wrong section to ask :whistling)

---EDIT---

For those of you that don't know:

http://scenenotice.org/details.php?id=2009

Stabber
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Not sure if FLAC and scene go well together , you can find Flac on pedro's bt music , e , adamsfile , what.cd and rutracker.

Flac rips are mabe by individuals and not scene groups

johhny
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
SCC upload's FLAC
PT also have scene FLAC

anon
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
MP3Scene has a lossless section, I think.

campodetenis
12-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I've MP3Scene and it's close, but a lot of releases get missed.

vinhkhang01
12-14-2011, 07:23 PM
MP3Scene is not closed.

anon
12-14-2011, 07:33 PM
MP3Scene is not closed.

"Close" as in nearly what he's looking for.

kukushka
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
gft is considered to have the best flac feed atm

campodetenis
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Apparently only donors get invites. It's going to be a long shot on the giveaway section :/

Burnsy
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Apparently only donors get invites. It's going to be a long shot on the giveaway section :/

Well there's a donation drive on there at the moment where they're doubling up on the invites per donation, so you might have a chance...

vinhkhang01
12-15-2011, 12:43 AM
I see.

MP3Scene is not closed.

"Close" as in nearly what he's looking for.

ca_aok
12-15-2011, 02:11 AM
They sometimes get uploaded at What, until they eventually get trumped by a user made perfect rip.

campodetenis
12-15-2011, 03:19 AM
They sometimes get uploaded at What, until they eventually get trumped by a user made perfect rip.

I guess so, also at waffles, but I'm kind of a scene release collector guy. Don't ask me why, but I've been one since 03. Lurkin around for obscure releases is hard, and what or waffles is not the place for flac scene (dupeswise).

mjmacky
12-15-2011, 04:16 AM

I kind of already know what FLACs are, in a technical sense. However, I must be missing something if I couldn't tell you the difference that would merit trumping one FLAC for another.

garbage
12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
lossless ftw

n00bz0r
12-15-2011, 05:16 PM
lossless ftw
Thanks for that really insightful post.

Burnsy
12-15-2011, 05:19 PM

I kind of already know what FLACs are, in a technical sense. However, I must be missing something if I couldn't tell you the difference that would merit trumping one FLAC for another.

I'm the same. If something's lossless, then how can it be 'made even more lossless'? How do you determine which identical copy is the most identical? :unsure:

n00bz0r
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm the same. If something's lossless, then how can it be 'made even more lossless'? How do you determine which identical copy is the most identical? :unsure:
Scene released FLACs are usually ripped at burst speeds. Which essentially means, the disc is read only once at high speed..thereby decreasing the accuracy of the rip.
However, in secure mode, the disc is read at slow speed more than once, and blocks of data are compared for accuracy. The final output is a 100% accurate rip.

campodetenis
12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
They base their criteria on the accuracy of the rip. Depending on the quality (state) of the media, and the ripping technology (hardware/software), you can get a 98% accurate rip, 99% or even a 100% rip. The prefered method for ripping is EAC software; as the rip is being done, the program determines the accuracy of the rip, and after is finished, it compares the rip with the original file and determines if the copy is exact (as in exact to the byte) or almost exact, and then it writes a log file that has a hashcheck to prevent people from altering it.

If you upload a 100% accurate flac + log + cue, you can trump a 99% accurate rip.

I'm not a perfect rip maniac, but I can understand the people who is. I'm a scene release maniac for no reason whatsoever.

The philosophical part of your question is what I like the most as, what is indeed a perfect copy of something that is a mass produced copy?

"Hey I have another 'original' copy that's not equal to the 'original' copy you have. Let's make a perfect copy!"

More importantly, isn't it that music, when coming from a media, is inherently loosy?

Burnsy
12-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys, certainly makes things a little clearer...

Technically though, how can something be called FLAC (which to me means an exact/perfect copy) if it's not 100% to begin with? Isn't that an 'almost FLAC'? :lol:

mjmacky
12-15-2011, 06:08 PM
If there's an error, wouldn't that sound like jitter or skips during playback? Do I have any of this wrong? If not, then there's still no case of a difference between any FLAC rips (whether they be scene/p2p/user). They don't have any rules regarding the read mode for the disc, only that it can be propered if there's error.

ca_aok
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys, certainly makes things a little clearer...

Technically though, how can something be called FLAC (which to me means an exact/perfect copy) if it's not 100% to begin with? Isn't that an 'almost FLAC'? :lol:
Lossless refers to the part that no sound data is removed during file compression (unlike MP3, AAC, Ogg, etc, where data is removed to decrease file size).

If there's an error, wouldn't that sound like jitter or skips during playback? Do I have any of this wrong? If not, then there's still no case of a difference between any FLAC rips (whether they be scene/p2p/user). They don't have any rules regarding the read mode for the disc, only that it can be propered if there's error.
They aren't always audible errors. There's some other minor stuff that's likely ignored by the scene for these rips in general.

Basically, the people who care about FLAC are already OCD about quality. A properly ripped EAC/XLD rip can literally be burnt to a CD-R and be a bit-perfect copy of the original CD. A scene FLAC can't be. In practical terms (assuming no audible errors), the end result will be nearly identical.

Night0wl
12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
They aren't always audible errors. There's some other minor stuff that's likely ignored by the scene for these rips in general.

Basically, the people who care about FLAC are already OCD about quality. A properly ripped EAC/XLD rip can literally be burnt to a CD-R and be a bit-perfect copy of the original CD. A scene FLAC can't be. In practical terms (assuming no audible errors), the end result will be nearly identical.

That's not entirely true. Scene groups may very well be doing perfect rips. The problem is we want proof whether or not a rip is perfect or not in form of a EAC/XLD log. The scene groups do not provide this. Thus we have no way of knowing whether they ripped it using proper settings or they rushed the rip using the fastest possible setting or indeed are somewhere in between.

We can even take it a bit further and say even if they didn't use secure mode there is still a possibility that the rip is a perfect 1/1 copy of the original CD, but again we have absolutely no reassurance of that.

Just like no normal user would ever get a CD rip approved as perfect without a log proving proper setting without errors, no scene group will get approved either without said log.

ca_aok
12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
You'd still have an improper first pregap and offset, plus the track indices would be wrong. So my statement still stands (though I understand the implied meaning behind your post). I do find it unlikely that they'd be securely ripping without reason to do so, considering the scene is all about the race.

mjmacky
12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
You'd still have an improper first pregap and offset, plus the track indices would be wrong.

Rarely do I come across something unknown to me and I willingly decide to not look it up. I have no idea what any of it means, but I got a strange feeling that I would be disappointed to find out I wasted my time researching it.

On another note, CDs and vinyls have been around for awhile, there's surely an entire backlog of stuff the scene hasn't done, are they racing for that as well? Or are they putting forth all their efforts into worthless modern day releases?

Night0wl
12-17-2011, 01:07 AM
You'd still have an improper first pregap and offset, plus the track indices would be wrong. So my statement still stands (though I understand the implied meaning behind your post). I do find it unlikely that they'd be securely ripping without reason to do so, considering the scene is all about the race.

Sorry, my bad then. Had no idea that Burst mode wouldn't use set offset correction values or take gap detection into account. Maybe because I never ripped in anything but secure mode.

I saw some discussion somewhere about some group including the log as .jpg, because the ftps wouldn't accept .log and when someone ran it through What logchecker the only minus was EAC version and Accuraterip not being enabled. Think it was on SCC but don't have time to search right now.

ca_aok
12-17-2011, 04:06 AM
The problem is moreso that the .log/.cue isn't generally included with the scene rips, so any burning will be imperfect with regards to that. Interesting on that .jpg thing though. Burst mode *should* properly take into account both. If it was me though, I'd probably be ripping with something like dBpoweramp, since it's a lot faster.

It's a weird subset of the scene that's concentrating on FLAC right now. There's a mixture of both backlog and new releases. I wouldn't say they're racing on that stuff per se, though I'm not personally involved and don't really pay too much attention to the FLAC scene stuff anyway.

chrisbeebops
12-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Apparently only donors get invites. It's going to be a long shot on the giveaway section :/Not true! Members can exchange bonus points for invites. Bonus points are earned by idling on IRC and by seeding packs, called GFT Gems (found on the Browse/Gems page).

Alien5
12-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Flac without a log isn't good.

campodetenis
12-17-2011, 09:36 PM
It's a weird subset of the scene that's concentrating on FLAC right now. There's a mixture of both backlog and new releases. I wouldn't say they're racing on that stuff per se, though I'm not personally involved and don't really pay too much attention to the FLAC scene stuff anyway.

That's wath I was going to reply. In fact, I'm not that interested in the rael "pre" stuff, but more on some good oldies on different generes, and I like that the scene seems to be interested too. My guess is that every member is grabbin' whatever cd is in the shelf and upping it, which is fine by me.

Flac without a log isn't good.

That's also true. I wish the scene would aknowledge this.