PDA

View Full Version : American Bashing In An Off-topic Forum

Alex H
11-14-2003, 05:27 AM
HeavyMetalParkingLot doesn't like me criticizing Americans, so I'll do it here. I'm sure that there are a few other people who may think the US could conduct itself a bit better on the world stage.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-14-2003, 05:30 AM
once again kid, READ THE FUCKING RULES!

muchspl2
http://members.cox.net/dodger1954/pics/flamenewcasualwear.gif

clocker
Really?

I'm quite surprised.

I was under the impression that we were universally loved.

muchspl2
11-14-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 November 2003 - 06:30
Really?

I'm quite surprised.

I was under the impression that we were universally loved.
fox news is wrong :D

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-14-2003, 05:32 AM
what is it with all these junior hypoluxas popping up lately? least he made it fun..........

james_bond_rulez
11-14-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@14 November 2003 - 05:27
HeavyMetalParkingLot doesn't like me criticizing Americans, so I'll do it here. I'm sure that there are a few other people who may think the US could conduct itself a bit better on the world stage.
I am with you bro

once again kid, READ THE FUCKING RULES!

you need to get a life and stop acting like a kid

Alex H
11-14-2003, 05:38 AM
You guys weren't following the rules when you bombed Iraq.

clocker
11-14-2003, 05:42 AM
Alex, you call this American-bashing?

If you're gonna do, then DO IT!

hobbes
11-14-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@14 November 2003 - 06:38
Cheap shot quips only engender the like in response.

Many Americans opposed the invasion of Iraq.

Many others, who believed that we were at risk because of WMD, were deceived.

If you could formulate a coherent post which was nothing more than shin kicking then people might consider your input.

@clocker, I still live in San Antonio, TX. My post about living near Chicago was only for the spirit of the thread.

brotherdoobie
11-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@14 November 2003 - 00:38
Let him state his views.
I believe in freedom of expression.

Usualy fellows like this will use it to to their disadvantage,
and be shown for what they truly are...........
One way or another ;)

Peace brotherdoobie

Alex H
11-14-2003, 05:51 AM
For those that came in late, here is the discussion from Movieworld.

Alex H Posted: 14 November 2003 - 04:10

Newcomer

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,729

QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 14 November 2003 - 01:12)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0284850/

Quote from this page:

Plot Outline: A dramedy that centers on a self-procalimed anarchist and his like-minded friends.

WTF is a "dramedy"? YO! AMERICANS! There is no such thing as a DRAMEDY. It don't exist. Just say "light-hearted drama" or better yet, don't categorize it. My local video store has 57 different categories of movies because people can't stand it if they aren't categorized.

HeavyMetalParkingLot Posted: 14 November 2003 - 04:14

Have A Puffin' Evil Day!

Member No.: 38,400

QUOTE (Alex H @ 14 November 2003 - 04:10)
QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 14 November 2003 - 01:12)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0284850/

Quote from this page:

Plot Outline: A dramedy that centers on a self-procalimed anarchist and his like-minded friends.

WTF is a "dramedy"? YO! AMERICANS! There is no such thing as a DRAMEDY. It don't exist. Just say "light-hearted drama" or better yet, don't categorize it. My local video store has 57 different categories of movies because people can't stand it if they aren't categorized.

you got a problem with americans?

--------------------

Alex H Posted: 14 November 2003 - 04:33

Newcomer

No, I think they are very generous people. Only problem is they are only generous to people they know. And they don't make an effort to get to know anyone. And they have no concept of world affairs. Less than 23% of Americans have a passport, meaning hardly any of them go overseas and see the rest of the world. And the end result is that smaller countries having local problems (like people running around with American made guns) suddenly get "help" from the US. This usually means the US takes one side and helps them bomb the crap out of the other side.

And they fuck up the English language by making up stupid words like dramedy.

HeavyMetalParkingLot Posted: 14 November 2003 - 04:43

Have A Puffin' Evil Day!

QUOTE (Alex H @ 14 November 2003 - 04:33)
No, I think they are very generous people. Only problem is they are only generous to people they know. And they don't make an effort to get to know anyone. And they have no concept of world affairs. Less than 23% of Americans have a passport, meaning hardly any of them go overseas and see the rest of the world. And the end result is that smaller countries having local problems (like people running around with American made guns) suddenly get "help" from the US. This usually means the US takes one side and helps them bomb the crap out of the other side.

And they fuck up the English language by making up stupid words like dramedy.

and this deals with a movie how? how often do you go out of your way to help a stranger? a little too easy to sit back and play armchair philanthropist these days. who really cares if only 23% of americans have a passport? why do we have to worry about going to other countries when we have our own things to deal with here. and you do realize that 23% pecent of americans is still roughly 69,000,000 people right? that in and of it self is larger than most european countries i would think. and as far as fucking up the english language goes, unless you speak in thee's and thou's, i think you have done a fine job of fucking it up yourself.

--------------------

Alex H Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:02

Newcomer

QUOTE (HeavyMetalParkingLot @ 14 November 2003 - 04:43)
why do we have to worry about going to other countries when we have our own things to deal with here. and you do realize that 23% pecent of americans is still roughly 69,000,000 people right? that in and of it self is larger than most european countries i would think.

I don't know why you guys worry about other countries, and YES America has MORE than enough problems it self! But:

China 1945-1946, 1950-1953
Korea 1950-1953
Guatemala 1954, 1960, 1967-1969
Indonesia 1958
Cuba 1959-1961
Vietnam 1961-1973
Congo 1964
Laos 1964-1973
Peru 1965
Cambodia 1969-1970
Lebanon 1983-84
Grenada 1983
Libya 1986
El Salvador 1980s
Nicaragua 1980s
Panama 1989
Bosnia 1995
Sudan 1998
Serbia 1999
Afghanistan 1998, 2001-2003
Iraq 1991-2003

These are the countries America has bombed since the end of WWII. And the sad thing is BECAUSE AMERICANS DON'T TRAVEL, most of you couldn't find even half of them on the map! And yes you are correct in your belief that mst European countries have a population of less than 69,000,000 people. So what does that prove? Do you have any ambition to get off your fat ass and see the world?

It's ok, I know you're trying to be patriotic. You have to do that because everyone in America is afraid the big, bad Arabs will try to take away your freedom. So you gave it up yourselves with The Patriot Act. You think the WTC bombing was a shock? The 21 nations in that list think that too!

But just because you've got a big population doesn't mean you're the best.

And "dramedy" still isn't a word!

This post has been edited by Alex H on 14 November 2003 - 05:03

HeavyMetalParkingLot Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:10

Have A Puffin' Evil Day!

you forgot to mention the wars that the canadians took part in. if it wasn't for the fact that canada's air force is a bunch of hang gliders, i am pretty sure they would be in iraq now as well.

--------------------

muchspl2 Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:13

Member No.: 63,167

no one will win so just stop
every country hates every other country

true story

--------------------

apc kvcd (1 step kvcd) 2 plus hours on 1 cdr!
different kvcd method
FREE CDR/DVDR PROGRAMS!
tmpgeNC
videolan

Alex H Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:15

Newcomer

WTF have Candians got to do with it? Maybe Canadians LIKE having a shitty air force: stops them being tempted from copying the US.

HeavyMetalParkingLot Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:21

Have A Puffin' Evil Day!

alex, seeing as you are new here, i just want to point you to the rules list. you will find rule 2 mentions malicious in there. going around insults groups of people (americans in this case) would fall into that catagory. if you feel you need to show others your nationalistic tendencies, i am sure there are forums specifically for this. may i suggest white storm front, you may find other idiots there for you to get along with.

This post has been edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot on 14 November 2003 - 05:22

--------------------

Alex H Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:24

Newcomer

Fine, if you're not prepared to have a discussion here, we can go to The Lounge. 5 minutes.

HeavyMetalParkingLot Posted: 14 November 2003 - 05:27

Have A Puffin' Evil Day!

let's reverse this, if i was to come on this board and say, oh, i don't know maybe something pertaining to the fact that your country is so damned lazy that instead of controlling itself, they let some old senile whore of a queen and her faggot of a son an ocean away rule them, you wouldn't like it would you?

--------------------

rf9rider
11-14-2003, 05:57 AM
let's reverse this, if i was to come on this board and say, oh, i don't know maybe something pertaining to the fact that your country is so damned lazy that instead of controlling itself, they let some old senile whore of a queen and her faggot of a son an ocean away rule them, you wouldn't like it would you?

You forgot about Tony Blair......................

Alex H
11-14-2003, 06:10 AM
And aside from Americans thnking they run the plannet...THERE IS STILL NO SUCH WORD AS DRAMEDY!

Darth Sushi
11-14-2003, 07:05 AM
Can we just live in peace in this forum? Every member of this forum has no control over their respective government's actions. All Americans are not all pro-Bush, all Brits are not all pro-Blair, all Canadians are not all hockey buffs, all Saudi citizens are not all Muslims (yes, there are Christians and Jews there also), etc, etc. Yes, I'm American; no I did not vote for Bush. And everybody in this forum does not support everything their government does so enough with the bashing.

Peace

UKMan
11-14-2003, 07:07 AM
At least i didnt have click on a link to read it............yawn........ :sleeping:

Sorry to dissapoint anyone here, but "bashing" anyone because of race is not cosher and i respectfully encourage you all to stop.

Peace
UKMan

Alex H
11-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Sorry all, that was my own personal little fight with HeavyMetalParkingLot. So let's drop the bashing.

However, there is still no such word as DRAMEDY :D

UKMan
11-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@14 November 2003 - 08:27
Sorry all, that was my own personal little fight with HeavyMetalParkingLot. So let's drop the bashing.

However, there is still no such word as DRAMEDY :D
Thats better - :D

However, the word is famous for the fact it DIDNT make it into the dictionaries:
h**p://www.pseudodictionary.com/search.php?letter=d&browsestart=660

Scroll down a bit and you will find it - interesting anyways....maybe....oh well, maybe not then :(

Peace
UKMan

Billy_Dean
11-14-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/D/htmlD/dramedy/dramedy.htm
DRAMEDY

Dramedy is best understood as a television program genre which fuses elements of comedy and drama. According to Altman (1986) new genres emerge in one of two ways: "either a relatively stable set of semantic givens is developed through syntactic experimentation into a coherent and durable syntax, or an already existing syntax adopts a new set of semantic elements." Semantic elements are the generic "building blocks" out of which of program genres are constructed--those recurring elements such as stock characters, common traits, and technical features such as locations and typical shots. Syntax, or syntactic features, describes the ways these elements are related and combined. The recurring combination of semantic and syntactic elements creates a conventional type or category of program called a genre.

:)

Yogi
11-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Hey, BD!!

Gettin all dramedic now??

a relatively stable set of semantic givens is developed through syntactic experimentation into a coherent and durable syntax, or an already existing syntax adopts a new set of semantic elements

:blink: :blink: :blink: Yogi

Billy_Dean
11-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Yeah, that's why I quoted it, in case someone asked me to explain what the fuck it meant!

Yogi
11-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@14 November 2003 - 10:22
Yeah, that's why I quoted it, in case someone asked me to explain what the fuck it meant!

Thanks, it made it a lot clearer for me........ :P :P :P

This is such a typical word i will start using it regularly, mostly totally uncalled

for.....

I'l start tonight by asking my girl for some dramedic sex.......

Curious what that will turn in to......

So, J'pol is JPaul.......(too obvious....)
Explains why he doesn't talk to me.....(that is, i know...; not why.....)

Love to see you two roll in the hay, though........

Have a good day, you!!

Yogi

3RA1N1AC
11-14-2003, 09:24 AM
if yer gonna combine "comedy" & "drama" into a single word, i think the better solution would've been "coma."

bigboab
11-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@14 November 2003 - 09:24
if yer gonna combine "comedy" & "drama" into a single word, i think the better solution would've been "coma."
No, if it was coma. You would be sitting waiting forever for the end of the sentence. :D

Adster
11-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Americans are teh country who are most passinate and patrionic about their country which i think is excelent they cheer their presiedent yet we BOO the f*ck out of our Prime minister at least they have respect

summerlinda
11-14-2003, 01:34 PM
OMG, HMPL, do you post in MovieWorld?
You... betrayer!!! :o

lynx
11-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Adster@14 November 2003 - 13:33
Americans are teh country who are most passinate and patrionic about their country which i think is excelent they cheer their presiedent yet we BOO the f*ck out of our Prime minister at least they have respect
That's not respect, that's arse-licking.

Respect has to be earned, I can't think of a single thing that Dubya has done that deserves respect.

Sid Hartha
11-14-2003, 01:55 PM
There are Americans :(

and there's American foreign policy. :o

Not exactly the same thing. Get it?
Go ahead and bash American foreign policy as much as you like - I'll help you.
Otherwise, have a nice day.

thewizeard
11-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Alex H@14 November 2003 - 06:10
And aside from Americans thnking they run the plannet...THERE IS STILL NO SUCH WORD AS DRAMEDY!
^^^^^^

By the way, what is "thnking" or a "plannet?"
Well I quite like the word. English is not a dead language and languages do evolve... I for one am quite fond of the Americans and in particular those that are members of this forum...

echidna
11-14-2003, 02:57 PM
and so i understand that this alleged nationalist slur was provoked by criticism of the word 'dramedy' ? :o

unbelievable :huh:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-14-2003, 03:02 PM
i am amazed that after waking up, i find that this topic has not been closed.

am i to assume that since it is still open, that to go around bashing people for their nationality is condoned on this forum?

i would like to be able to believe to it simply was due to no mods being online, but i know that there have been mods online. go figure that they were non american mods, but mods none the less. now maybe if corner pocket had been online it wold have been.

i would just like to thank you all for basically making the statement now, that it is ok to go around bashing people's nationalities.

now let's see how far i can get before a banning after posting an anti european topic.

have a nice day.

Lamsey
11-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Well if you'd PMed a mod about it in the proper manner, outlining your objections to it, we might have done something.

Whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

Cheese
11-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Well I for one certainly don't condone any bashing of anyone for their nationality, it's just sheer ignorance for anyone to do this. American's are an easy target for a bit of bashing, because we see the media portrayed McDonalds lifestyle of the Americans and forget that we have no idea of what an "average American" actually is (and I think you'd discover they are pretty much the same as anyone else).

For the most part we only see Americans through the media, we only see a part of their culture. We watch their films, read their books, listen to their music, watch their news and then think that we can make a judgement on their whole culture. You can't do that, you have to be a part of a culture before you can truely appreciate it.

This is pretty much a Europen dominated board so bashing the Americans can sometimes seem accpetable, but before just remember that being racist is being racist. There are no acceptable forms of rascism. You can criticise a country's policies, their governments, even their fastfood outlets but you shouldn't discriminate against their people.

Sorry for the long post but rascism has been getting me down lately and I just needed to vent...

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-14-2003, 04:06 PM
so you are telling me, that i should just shut up and let others hurl insults at a particular group of users on this board?

SniperInTheShadows
11-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Adster@14 November 2003 - 13:33
Americans are teh country who are most passinate and patrionic about their country which i think is excelent  they cheer their presiedent yet we BOO the f*ck out of our Prime minister at least they have  respect
I think that's because our Prime Minister is too easily swayed by other countries. The UK used to be great, we had a great health service, good education system, the royal's were people to respect, and we stood up for what we believed in, but now, for the most part, we've given up on all that just to make over countries happy by following their leed and are forgetting about our own countries need's.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help other countries or that there aren't time's when we should follow their leed, but that there's more emphasis on doing that now than sorting ourselves out and getting the UK back to being a great country that's respected around the world.

I respect America for the passion it's people feel about different thing's, I respect them for what they've accomplished in the past and for not allowing themselves to be bullied by anyone. Almost every American i've met, both in person and online, has been friendly and polite and respectful.

However, like any other country, there's alway's going to be a few bad egg's that you'll come across but the best thing to do when you come across someone who's like that is to realise that not everyone's like it and don't let it change your impression of all of them as a country no matter who they are or where they're from :-)

This is all just my own opinion, and i'm soz if it offend's anyone as it's not intended to do so.

Sniper.

EDIT : I hadn't explained something as was intended, so made it more obvious what I was on about :-)

brotherdoobie
11-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@14 November 2003 - 11:06
so you are telling me, that i should just shut up and let others hurl insults at a particular group of users on this board?
No HMPL.......I dont believe that you should shut up.
I do believe that others should be able to state their views.

I don't agree with the the statements posted...but I think post are edited
way to much by mods as it is.

The internet is one of the few places left for the "common man" to express
one's self.
The papers and television are controlled by those that have unlimited
funds and power.

We as a community moderate what we find offensive.
However we must not step on others rights to say what they feel.

It's a delicate balance.

I think were all mature enough to weather someones childish attempts
at nationality bashing.

Speak your mind.........And I will speak mine.

Peace brotherdoobie

UKMan
11-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by echidna@14 November 2003 - 15:57
and so i understand that this alleged nationalist slur was provoked by criticism of the word 'dramedy' ? :o

unbelievable :huh:
Oh believe me, forum wars have begun on much lesser stuff than that...ha ha ha...yes yes indeed..... :lol: :D

Hang on, lemme show the knife wounds in my back.......

summerlinda
11-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@14 November 2003 - 16:02
now let's see how far i can get before a banning after posting an anti european topic.

have a nice day.
I think "us" Europeans, don't feel European in particular, we are either Dutch, German, Swedish, Italian or whatever. We don't talk in terms of "Europeans" we have different leaders, laws languages etc etc
Ask any European where he comes from or where he lives and he will never say: Europe, instead he will name his home country.

Euuhhh my point? :unsure:
Not sure, there's no point i guess....

Sid Hartha
11-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda@14 November 2003 - 17:04

I think "us" Europeans, don't feel European in particular...
...and I never thought of us "Americans" as a race.

brotherdoobie
11-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda+14 November 2003 - 12:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 14 November 2003 - 12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HeavyMetalParkingLot@14 November 2003 - 16:02
now let&#39;s see how far i can get before a banning after posting an anti european topic.

have a nice day.
I think "us" Europeans, don&#39;t feel European in particular, we are either Dutch, German, Swedish, Italian or whatever. We don&#39;t talk in terms of "Europeans" we have different leaders, laws languages etc etc
Ask any European where he comes from or where he lives and he will never say: Europe, instead he will name his home country.

Euuhhh my point? :unsure:
Not sure, there&#39;s no point i guess.... [/b][/quote]
Yes all of us North Americans..............Should try and remember that. ;)

Peace brotherdoobie :)

Rat Faced
11-14-2003, 05:35 PM
@ HeavyMetalParkingLot

Last time i looked, there were more American members than any other Nationality.

@ Alex.

If you have something political to say, that is not such a large generalisation as "Americans Suck" then post it in World Affairs after reading the specific additional rules pinned there and the rest of us can chill out and get along irrespective of Nationality.

@ Ad:

They also shoot their Presidents :P

j/k

I think this has gone on long enough, wish i&#39;d seen it earlier...

***Closed***