PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

bigdawgfoxx
11-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey, part of all this is on the OK, Slower with more ram? Topic. I am buying a new Mobo, Cpu, and RAM. That is it, as I have all of the other stuff. I have seen this mobo and it seems very good to me, also very stylish. I cannot, however, find any reviews. XFX Mach 4 nForce 2 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=589316&Sku=P450-2020&CatId=179) anyone know about this board?

Also, VB has recommended this board, which has a VIA chipset. It seems very nice. Asus A7V8X-X (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-131-451&refer=B1zrat3) ....Give me your opinion. Also I will need RAM...

Dont yell at me for not reading reviews, as I am searching very hard!

Livy
11-15-2003, 12:51 AM
check out the Asus a7n8x-x board, it has the nforce chipset.

also what sytstem is this for, amd/intel. if its amd, go for a nforce based chipset, there the best for amd based systems,

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Its obviously AMD, as im looking for nForce 2 boards...lol

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Livy! thanx alot for that link! Its the same board with nForce 2, instead of VIA. I love the board except I dont know which one to get. The nForce 2 is 20 bux more exspensive. Is it really that much better? Also what about the Mach 4...its looks like a nice board to me..is it? Does anyone know about this board or have a place to get good reviews? I cant find reviews on the XFX

Virtualbody1234
11-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Asus is a well known established high quality motherboard manufacturer.

XFX is a low end, fairly unknown brand that used to be Pine computers.

As for VIA, I'm sure there is plenty of information about their chipsets all over the internet.

This message was posted from a PC with a VIA chipset. Ya got a problem with that?

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 01:18 AM
Heck no. You have one...is it good? Had any problems with it? Whats the difference from one chipset to another anyways?

clocker
11-15-2003, 01:20 AM
Dawg,

I think you may have some trouble coming up with reviews for your choice of ah, less expensive boards.

The forums etc. that I look at tend to concentrate on mid/high end stuff. More room for OCing and upgrading, ya know?

adamp2p
11-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@15 November 2003 - 02:18
Heck no. You have one...is it good? Had any problems with it? Whats the difference from one chipset to another anyways?
VIA makes excellent chipset components. I think bigdawg is confusing their CPU's performance with their well engineered chipsets.

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Yeah well its a difference of 70 bux and 130...and the boards all sound very good to me. I will PM ABU or something.

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Thanks Adam! Finally an answer that answers my question! Ok..now I know that Via is good...is the nForce 2 worth the 20 bux?

abu_has_the_power
11-15-2003, 01:54 AM
one of those guys up there is rite, the xfx looks cool, but it's not a very good manufacturer of mobos. in the specs, both are similar, although the asus has 4 dimms slots. hmm... for same price, i'd go with asus. although the xfx does have some better components and specs. i mean, my mobo's a powercolor, even worse, but it runs perfectly fine. my old comp had no brand for it's mobo, some hp crap. and it ran fine for 4 years. if u want quality, go with asus. if u want looks and components, go with the xfx. i also recommend trying out soyo mobos.

and btw, i believe both are ok for ocing ur athlon xp, asus might be better if u have probs or stuff like that. it's somewhat more reliable, i think.

Virtualbody1234
11-15-2003, 02:11 AM
Hey clocker, he bit hook, line and sinker too. :lol: :lol:

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Thanks ABU...yall really act like chipset dont matter that much. I guess the Asus is fine with me..but the nForce or Via?

adamp2p
11-15-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@15 November 2003 - 03:12
Thanks ABU...yall really act like chipset dont matter that much. I guess the Asus is fine with me..but the nForce or Via?
flip a coin...Heads is via tails is the nforce, I call tails B)

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 06:29 AM
Doesnt nForce also have very good onboard audio? Will it run any faster, or have better bios options?

**GASHA**
11-15-2003, 08:37 AM
I just recently bought/installed this board from ABIT (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6). It's the second ABIT board I've bought and could not be more pleased with it. I paid £85.00 for it locally.

bigdawgfoxx
11-15-2003, 01:33 PM
tons and tons of really great features...but a lil to exspensive. I think im gona wait till after xmas so everythings cheap cheap cheap!

lynx
11-15-2003, 08:08 PM
I've used the XFX board, almost as good as the Asus one.
There is one drawback though. If your pc won't boot because the clock settings are wrong, you have to clear the cmos and start again. The Asus boards will switch back to the last stable setting in that situation so you can try again - a great benefit if you are trying to get the most out of your system or if you are overclocking.