PDA

View Full Version : Online storage

esco123
12-30-2011, 11:15 PM
What's the best online storage application for android? Dropbox???? Is it safe???

Cabalo
12-31-2011, 12:32 AM
I use both dropbox and box.net

Dropbox has less space, but allows for bigger files, box.net has a 100mb limit per file, but has 5Gb. And with a little research, you can have a 50Gb one like I did.
Just ask any of your friends with a LG android phone to create you one. ;)

Glaucon
12-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I've been using Dropbox so far, you can get some extra space by referring and/or signing up with an .edu address (https://www.dropbox.com/edu). I think it's pretty safe, but there's no way of knowing. I think they had some issues with unencrypted data transfer a while ago but they fixed that up. At the end of the day, I think no harm is done if you try both Dropbox and Box as suggested above, then see which one suits you better.

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that you don't get desktop file sync with the free Box account, you get it with Dropbox though.

Cabalo
12-31-2011, 02:41 AM
You get it with Gladinet Pro though ;)

Ok, go here for a free 50gb Box account: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.redphx.boxnet or do this: XDA (http://www.xda-developers.com/android/box-net-is-giving-away-50gb-of-free-cloud-space-to-lg-users-how-you-can-get-it-without-an-lg-phone/)

esco123
12-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks to both comments, will try and report back

Glaucon
12-31-2011, 11:51 AM
You get it with Gladinet Pro though ;)

Ok, go here for a free 50gb Box account: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.redphx.boxnet or do this: XDA (http://www.xda-developers.com/android/box-net-is-giving-away-50gb-of-free-cloud-space-to-lg-users-how-you-can-get-it-without-an-lg-phone/)

Or you can mount the Box storage (https://www.box.com/dav) as a network drive. :) Tried it yesterday and it worked out quite well albeit a bit slow to load.

esco123
12-31-2011, 02:45 PM
box is really good, ONLY draw back is a bit slow, and 100MB upload. but overall i prefer this over dropbox, dropbox requires more software and what not max upload is 300MB with out desktop software.

Cabalo
12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Did you manage to create a 50gb account on box.net ?

@Glaucon, nice trick, works like a charm.

I do the same with Microsoft's Skydrive online storage too. There is a pretty good android app to manage it, called skydrive browser AND you can map it on windows the exact same way as you did for box.com.

esco123
12-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah got the 50gb space, thanks for that, everything is perfect for box apart from 100mb upload, although it's for free so can't argue, Dropbox is good but it syncs automatically which takes up bandwidth.. Anyone know how to not make it sync automatically?

KraGeRzR
01-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Petandrive (http://www.petandrive.com/) FTP, HTTP, or software.

Glaucon
01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
You should take to help from Google.

Sometimes it's useful to hear other people's opinions instead of just a plain list of options with practically no feedback other than what the companies advertise for themselves.

esco123
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM
You should take to help from Google.

Sometimes it's useful to hear other people's opinions instead of just a plain list of options with practically no feedback other than what the companies advertise for themselves.

+ 1. The first thing I do is check Google but wanted fst opinion to

mjmacky
01-07-2012, 10:11 AM
+ 1. The first thing I do is check Google but wanted fst opinion to

I think you forgot to add the extra 'o' in your edit.

Quarterquack
01-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Box.net is utter garbage. I advise people to stay away from them. Back when this cloud thing was a distant dream in 2004-2005 I signed up for the Box beta. I was running the IT department for our local church, and as such at any given time point had copious amounts of software licenses and legal documents to arrange. I decided to entrust the file to Box.net who at the time made the promise of access from anywhere and daily backups of their systems. 30 days and a crash later and $2000 worth of licenses and drafted up legal documents were lost. I thankfully used to store everything important on memory cards at that point, so I had a few days of downtime before sorting everything, but the real kick in the face was when I contacted Box.net. I was treated with the worst customer response I have read in years prior, was told that if legal prosecution was the path chosen by me that they'll see me in court, and that the files were my responsibility and keeping a backup of them was my job. Sure it was, but it was also their job to maintain their status quo.

TL;DR: Don't support Box.net if you actually want the advertised services. Only do so if you'll use it upload last night's drunk pictures.

I say wait for Google's foray into the market within - oh let's say 2 months according to a friendly source. ;)

Glaucon
01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Box.net is utter garbage. I advise people to stay away from them. Back when this cloud thing was a distant dream in 2004-2005 I signed up for the Box beta. I was running the IT department for our local church, and as such at any given time point had copious amounts of software licenses and legal documents to arrange. I decided to entrust the file to Box.net who at the time made the promise of access from anywhere and daily backups of their systems. 30 days and a crash later and $2000 worth of licenses and drafted up legal documents were lost. I thankfully used to store everything important on memory cards at that point, so I had a few days of downtime before sorting everything, but the real kick in the face was when I contacted Box.net. I was treated with the worst customer response I have read in years prior, was told that if legal prosecution was the path chosen by me that they'll see me in court, and that the files were my responsibility and keeping a backup of them was my job. Sure it was, but it was also their job to maintain their status quo.

TL;DR: Don't support Box.net if you actually want the advertised services. Only do so if you'll use it upload last night's drunk pictures.

I say wait for Google's foray into the market within - oh let's say 2 months according to a friendly source. ;)

I can see why you wouldn't trust them but they probably had a lot of time during the last 7 years to improve. You might also have been unlucky by getting referred to a bad employee.

esco123
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
yeah maybe changes have taken place within the last few years, im sure there improvements. but only time will tell, thanks for the infomation

johhny
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
if you are usenet user you can hide you files there unlimited space!!!!!!!!

Glaucon
03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
if you are usenet user you can hide you files there unlimited space!!!!!!!!

Even with all the encryption options available to me, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sending my sensitive data into the world wide web.

axelldotcom
03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Another good site for sending and storing files is ge.tt I use it alot.

LemOnzoo
03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
if you are usenet user you can hide you files there unlimited space!!!!!!!! don't us it, but i heard that it's only 10$ / month.

Cabalo
03-27-2012, 02:55 PM
By the way, to those who have android phones, there is an extremely simple trick to get extra 23Gb of storage in dropbox.com ;)
Just do a search at mobilism for dropbox and it will be your first result.

esco123
03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
yeah this is what i asked before lol, but found it. but for members to know it only last for 2years then goes.

Cabalo
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
So what? 2 years is a lifetime.

Evil_Djinn
03-27-2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.justcloud.com/

Unlimited Storage

esco123
04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
So what? 2 years is a lifetime.

Gone now

Exam_Papers
04-05-2012, 05:58 AM
106432A big online storage space where Internet users store their text, audio, movie, photo, and other information and share them, if they wish, with other people. Offers 5GB of free storage space for document information (doc, txt, pdf, rtf, xls), music computer file (mp3, ogg, wav, mid), movie computer file (avi, mpg, mpeg), image computer file (jpg, gif, bmp, png)

jamesclark
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Nice collection of the information use for us and very great colletion. thanks for sharing the information.