PDA

View Full Version : Bin/cue Vs .iso

stumpy39
02-09-2003, 01:35 PM
i've been converting all my downloaded bin files into .iso's using winiso, which makes for a smaller file (~10-15%) and gets rid of the can't find the .cue problem...

question is, what's the catch? smaller files would seem to be better, but all the groups (fairlight, deviance)release bin/cue files... what gives? am i missing something?

Amarjit
02-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Whenever I am downloading files (games, whatever) I always download the larger one as this will point out that something is there that isn't on different versions.

imported_QuietSilence!
02-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by stumpy39@9 February 2003 - 14:35
i've been converting all my downloaded bin files into .iso's using winiso, which makes for a smaller file (~10-15%) and gets rid of the can't find the .cue problem...

question is, what's the catch? smaller files would seem to be better, but all the groups (fairlight, deviance)release bin/cue files... what gives? am i missing something?
the bin and que file format will let u do more things to ur file. a que file lets u do all kinda of things too the way ur file in the bin will play and is an easy way too do it. all u have too do is edit the que file and it dose something diffrent

but if ur just gona burn it too disk the iso format is the best for size and speed of use

there are some programs that will not use any other type besides bin and que and theses release's have been made on these programs as they tend too be more powerfull and the makers can do more cool things with them

remember that once u make it a iso u cant change it un less u re make the whole iso
whereas with a bin an que u can open them up an edit them later if u want too and just add or remove what u edit with out re making the whole file

TheMan1891
02-09-2003, 08:03 PM
I like ISO files because they are easier to work with. I really dont know much about that kind of stuff so for me ISO is more foolproof.

The Great Dude
03-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by By: Datamore

A .bin file is a CD image. That means that a whole CD was copied into just one big file.
A file type similar to .bin is .iso.
These files are meant to be burned onto CDs in order to get an exact copy of the CD from where the .bin or the .iso file was created (some CDs have copy protections and the image burning won't be enough, so you'll be given a crack too, to run the game or application).
You'll need the .cue files to burn the .bin files, but don't worry if you don't have them. You can also burn them without the cues.
If you're going to burn a .bin file make sure both the .bin and the .cue are in the same directory.
I recommend using Nero to burn the CD images.
First of all, use CDmage and check the image file for errors.
Then open up Nero.
Go to 'File' > 'Burn Image...'
Choose the .cue file that corresponds to the .bin file you want to burn, and click on 'Open'.
Choose the burning options and burn the CD.

If you don't have the .cue files, go to 'File' > 'Burn Image', choose the .bin file (not the .cue) and click on 'Open'.
A window will popup saying 'Foreign image settings'
Make sure the 'Type of Image' is 'Data Mode 1' and the 'Raw data' box is checked.
Click on 'OK', choose the burning options and burn the CD.

If you don't want to burn the files you can always use virtual drives to emulate a CD drive (Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% are the best), mount the image files, install the game and run it. All of this from your hard drive.

You can also try a program like WinISO or IsoBuster to extract the files from the .bin or. iso and run the files from your harddrive.

Gives Basics on using them.

"The Avatar Man"
03-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by stumpy39@9 February 2003 - 14:35

lol if you can't find the cue you could easily make one ;)
the cue is nothing than a VERY small text document that tells you burning program where to find the bin and how to burn it.If you use cdrwin or daemon tools you don't even need a cue. :D