PDA

View Full Version : What Software Do You Use For Cataloguing Music?

Smurfette
11-15-2003, 01:35 PM
I use MusicLibrary (Wen Software).
I've tried Helium & Music Collector and don't like the idea of WMP.

Just wondered what others were using.

james_bond_rulez
11-15-2003, 01:43 PM
just spend a lil time to organize ur songs

windows explorer to get mp3s into proper folders named by artists...

simply house keeping would do the job dont need fancy software...

SeK612
11-15-2003, 01:52 PM
As above I just do it manually. I organise my folders by Artists and have subfolders inside of their albums. I generally rename files I download and edit the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in winamp (so they display "Artist" -> "Album" -> "Track Numer" -> "Song Name").

I do have Tag and Rename but don't know how to use it :">

Smurfette
11-15-2003, 02:21 PM
That would be ok if I didn't have 66 mp3 CDs on the shelf that I play in the DVD player.
:)

DL.
11-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Two programs and a bt of work.

DIRlist (SetupDIRlist.exe) shareware or serials 2000
http://software.surfeteria.com/270/219364732.shtml
With all songs organised in folders, just open each folder with DIRlist and it will create an index.htm with hyperlinks to each file. if all folders are in a master folder, then open that and an index.htm with hyperlinks to each folder will be created.
(this is very handy for setting up a basic ftp/web site directory as well. )

Next, get The Sleuthhound Basic free, or PRO "free" from Fosi (search: kick me to fosi )
http://www.isleuthhound.com/
Create a new database called music and browse to your master music folder, setup the associations to search, start the search.
You can do files only but it will crash with more than a few mp3's. Just have it index all html, text, and docs. When it's done, just type in your keyword.
Sleuthhound will bring up a list of matching pages with highlights and a link to the folders containing each result. It's like a very large website made from your folders or hard drive. Click a link and your default player will open it.

Wizzandabe
11-15-2003, 05:22 PM
I just use Windows :P
Folder's. ;)

sparsely
11-15-2003, 05:58 PM
/me uses simple windows stuff too.

All albums are moved/extracted to a folder named "Station", where they're renamed & given correct id3 tag information.
Actual tracks are inside folders that have the %Artists Name% - %Album Title%, and the tracks are named %Track Number% - %Track Title%.
This saves having really long file names you get sometimes using the 'artist - album - track no. - title' nomenclature. It also helps preserve
playback sequence when burning folders for mp3 discs.

The album folders are then moved to one of three big folders, named "mp3 # - H, mp3 I - P, and mp3 Q - Z"

Smurfette
11-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Hmm.

Looks like a lot of work to me.
The main reasons I use MusicLibrary are that it scans CDs, drives or folders and automatically adds files it finds to a database. From there you can browse through by artist, album, song title, location, filesize... anything you like - and it'll scan the whole database for duplicate files. It can batch tag, rename or do both to mp3s. It can export the whole database or just part of it to different formats too.
That's just mp3s though; it's good for keeping track of and exporting lists of audio CDs which it scans and retrieves data of from the Gracenote CDDB.

Not that I made this thread to plug the program - far from it; I wondered what preferred alternatives there were out there. Heh, it looks like I'm the only one using any sort of program!

Mr. Blunt
11-15-2003, 08:11 PM
I use the MusicBrainz Tagger.

http://www.musicbrainz.org/

LTJBukem
11-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Blunt@15 November 2003 - 20:11
I use the MusicBrainz Tagger.

http://www.musicbrainz.com
What's with that site? It's a spam palace.

Despite its newbie reputation, and the fact that it's rather bloated as a media player, Musicmatch Jukebox is great for tagging files. It compares partial id tags against an online data base, shows you its findings, then updates the artist, album, track and album art info automatically. You can then rename the file itself, using the new id2/3 data, in whatever form you want. This all takes seconds and is brilliant for p2p users.

:)