01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Which O/S is best
Windows
or
Linux and why?

Stabber
01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
There is no best os in general

It depends what you want to use . Windows is best for gaming everyone knows that , and microsoft office in my opinion is unique (openoffice just isn't enough )

But with linux , you can run them on low spec machine and it will be fast , or even faster than new spec machines because it will require lower resources . Also linux is best for programming , and each day you learn something new .It depends however if you have the patience to learn them (i'm not talking about ubuntu , my grandma can run ubuntu :P )

Glaucon
01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Also linux is best for programming

That's quite a bomb you dropped. One can program just fine on Windows as well. If anything, you have tools such as Microsoft's Visual Studio on Windows. You're right though, there's no obvious choice for the OS of the month, it all depends on what you fancy.

lightshow
01-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Each OS has its place. Here's a breakdown of what I do and which OS I'd use it with... (but I cheat and load VMWare Workstation on my Windows and on my Linux I run KVM..)

Windows -> Can run Adobe CS Suite Products ( I like Adobe Premiere), Native Instruments (Music Synth)
Mac -> Can run Adobe CS Suite Products, can be Hackintoshed easily to run on modern x86 hardware
Linux -> I use it for everything (Web, Music, Downloading, HTPC (XBMC Live), Server (serving me SMB and NFS for XBMC Clients), Runs Sickbeard Couchpotato and Sabnzb for automated Usenet work, Runs my software Raid-1 mirror or 2 (2) TB Drives, OS runs off my USB stick with software raid configuration there so if there is a crash/or upgrade of OS, it is independed of screwing with the raid set (ie; data on the actual disks in raid). Then we have the penetration distros such as Backtrack if you like doing packetsniffing/wifi sniffing/learning about TCPIP network stuff

Also, If you pop in Centos 6 or Fedora live CDs and play in the desktop mode as a non-root user, your system will always be super stable (like Mac since Mac is a Unix based OS as well)

Stabber
01-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Each OS has its place. Here's a breakdown of what I do and which OS I'd use it with... (but I cheat and load VMWare Workstation on my Windows and on my Linux I run KVM..)

Windows -> Can run Adobe CS Suite Products ( I like Adobe Premiere), Native Instruments (Music Synth)
Mac -> Can run Adobe CS Suite Products, can be Hackintoshed easily to run on modern x86 hardware
Linux -> I use it for everything (Web, Music, Downloading, HTPC (XBMC Live), Server (serving me SMB and NFS for XBMC Clients), Runs Sickbeard Couchpotato and Sabnzb for automated Usenet work, Runs my software Raid-1 mirror or 2 (2) TB Drives, OS runs off my USB stick with software raid configuration there so if there is a crash/or upgrade of OS, it is independed of screwing with the raid set (ie; data on the actual disks in raid). Then we have the penetration distros such as Backtrack if you like doing packetsniffing/wifi sniffing/learning about TCPIP network stuff

Also, If you pop in Centos 6 or Fedora live CDs and play in the desktop mode as a non-root user, your system will always be super stable (like Mac since Mac is a Unix based OS as well)

Yes but if someone likes gaming , the linux isn't enough . A dual boot is required with windows although linux have some good multiplayer fps

lightshow
01-12-2012, 04:18 AM
I do all my gaming on my 360, so that never was an issue. My major issue was video editing and VST audio plugins where I have to bring in a Windows or Mac. Otherwise, I'd stick to Linux. I use my Fedora Desktop everyday at work and would never switch back to Windows.

I also think Microsoft Office is overpriced and Open Office offers an almost bit for bit *exact* experience, but is 100% free. But since we are here on this forum, free isn't the issue.

Glaucon
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I also think Microsoft Office is overpriced and Open Office offers an almost bit for bit *exact* experience, but is 100% free. But since we are here on this forum, free isn't the issue.

I think it's merely a matter of personal preference. I also found the web based office suites to be quite useful (such as Google Docs) since I only end up using 5% of the functions Microsoft Office offers me anyway.

Yes but if someone likes gaming , the linux isn't enough . A dual boot is required with windows although linux have some good multiplayer fps

That's a niche you're talking about and not everyone plays those games. I'm also pretty certain that if you'd try Linux you'd see it has some interesting games as well, you just don't know them because you never played them - a Linux could say the same for the Windows games.

mjmacky
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
OO Calc does not offer the same flexibility/usability as MS Excel.

So that's my stance on OO vs. MS.

Stabber
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I think it's merely a matter of personal preference. I also found the web based office suites to be quite useful (such as Google Docs) since I only end up using 5% of the functions Microsoft Office offers me anyway.

That's a niche you're talking about and not everyone plays those games. I'm also pretty certain that if you'd try Linux you'd see it has some interesting games as well, you just don't know them because you never played them - a Linux could say the same for the Windows games.

I've been using archlinux for years , it was a great journey . I 've learned a lot of new things , i've changed the look of my desktop many times , tried almost all desktop environments . After this time , you know what i realize ? I just want things to be as simple as possbile ;)

I miss a lot of things from linux , music player daemon , openbox but it takes too much time to configure them to your liking . Honestly i think linux is the future , but because it's free it will take a lot of time to overcome windows usage .

The first thing someone will notice when changing from windows to linux is the ugly fonts , the font antialising is not even close to the windows one . The only way to get good antialising is to use the ubuntu ones and use large fonts in order to be visible enough .

Glaucon
01-12-2012, 01:29 PM

I've been using archlinux for years , it was a great journey . I 've learned a lot of new things , i've changed the look of my desktop many times , tried almost all desktop environments . After this time , you know what i realize ? I just want things to be as simple as possbile ;)

I miss a lot of things from linux , music player daemon , openbox but it takes too much time to configure them to your liking . Honestly i think linux is the future , but because it's free it will take a lot of time to overcome windows usage .

The first thing someone will notice when changing from windows to linux is the ugly fonts , the font antialising is not even close to the windows one . The only way to get good antialising is to use the ubuntu ones and use large fonts in order to be visible enough .

What you are talking about is very distribution specific. Not sure if you're aware, but ArchLinux is one of the most minimalistic and least simplistic distributions around, it's supposed to be configured from ground zero by the end user. I haven't had any issues with the fonts yet and I really don't think the Windows antialiasing is superior.

Stabber
01-12-2012, 01:44 PM

What you are talking about is very distribution specific. Not sure if you're aware, but ArchLinux is one of the most minimalistic and least simplistic distributions around, it's supposed to be configured from ground zero by the end user. I haven't had any issues with the fonts yet and I really don't think the Windows antialiasing is superior.

In my opinion if you will use linux , you should get into something more difficult than ubuntu in order to learn something about them . I guess antialising is all about taste , the ubuntu antialising is good but i prefer the general windows user interface

mjmacky
01-12-2012, 01:54 PM
In my opinion if you will use linux , you should get into something more difficult than ubuntu in order to learn something about them . I guess antialising is all about taste , the ubuntu antialising is good but i prefer the general windows user interface

Uhmm, sure, if you want to keep Linux use exclusive to those who know their way around a computer. I wouldn't mind seeing the user base of Linux grow, since application and/or OS-specific development follows the majority share/demand.

I just loaded up kubuntu on my father-in-laws laptop, mostly to prevent him from continuously infecting his computer with viruses. It's not like it's "Windows" easy to use itself. He wouldn't be able to even install mplayer, or basically anything that requires a terminal (termed "konsole" in kde-based ubuntu). So if anything, they need to make it even more user friendly (e.g. downloadable script files for installing programs on debian based systems). If Linux stays niche, you won't get as much development for that platform, lessening the experience for everyone.

Human_Being
01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Dual boot with windows like i did. Got everthing i wanted working no probs, even learnt a few things i could apply to windows. But from a lazy point of view its just to much of a mission so just format teh linux partition via windows re-extend your windows partition. Dont forget to fixmbr with ya windows cd!

Stabber
01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Best solution , dual boot windows and linux , when u need gaming or office just boot into windows

Glaucon
01-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Uhmm, sure, if you want to keep Linux use exclusive to those who know their way around a computer. I wouldn't mind seeing the user base of Linux grow, since application and/or OS-specific development follows the majority share/demand.

I just loaded up kubuntu on my father-in-laws laptop, mostly to prevent him from continuously infecting his computer with viruses. It's not like it's "Windows" easy to use itself. He wouldn't be able to even install mplayer, or basically anything that requires a terminal (termed "konsole" in kde-based ubuntu). So if anything, they need to make it even more user friendly (e.g. downloadable script files for installing programs on debian based systems). If Linux stays niche, you won't get as much development for that platform, lessening the experience for everyone.

The thing is, the Linux market is scattered and every distribution has a different philosophy. Few try to follow what Windows established. I think Ubuntu is still relatively easy to learn and anyone would quickly adapt to it, the only reason it feels weird is because most are used to Windows.

And there's really no need for installing via the terminal, you have the "software center" or whatever it's called. It's just fine for the average user.

Best solution , dual boot windows and linux , when u need gaming or office just boot into windows

Having best of both worlds available is certainly a great thing, but it wouldn't work for me personally for example. Once I boot up, I get a loot of stuff going on and closing that down is simply not an option. A better alternative in my situation is a virtual machine of whichever system you use less. The problem is, gaming in a virtual machine is a no-no. And using a Linux distro in it is just not the same experience, not to mention it'd be silly if you'd do 90% of your stuff in a virtual machine.

getacX
01-14-2012, 08:42 AM
windows, because the games

mjmacky
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
The thing is, the Linux market is scattered and every distribution has a different philosophy. Few try to follow what Windows established. I think Ubuntu is still relatively easy to learn and anyone would quickly adapt to it, the only reason it feels weird is because most are used to Windows.

And there's really no need for installing via the terminal, you have the "software center" or whatever it's called. It's just fine for the average user.

The age group just above me is not already used to Windows, or smart phones, or operating systems in general. This will go away with time, but it's still an issue and will be for about a few more decades. The mass popularity of computers didn't really take until the mid 90's.

MikeB
01-19-2012, 06:01 AM
OO Calc does not offer the same flexibility/usability as MS Excel.

So that's my stance on OO vs. MS.

yeah calc is a joke

Glaucon
01-19-2012, 05:11 PM

The age group just above me is not already used to Windows, or smart phones, or operating systems in general. This will go away with time, but it's still an issue and will be for about a few more decades. The mass popularity of computers didn't really take until the mid 90's.

Fair point, but we apparently have a different definition of getting used to. I'm usually comfortable with new software in a few weeks, a few months if it's a new OS. And I'll bet there are people that are way faster than this. I know a lot of older people who tell me they aren't able to learn the new tech but on the other hand there's a ton of people in the same age group who managed to do it successfully - it's a matter of interest.

Riskate
01-22-2012, 06:07 PM
I dual boot windows 7 and Debian Stable with Awesome wm on my desktop. There really isn't a "best" OS. I use my Windows 7 partition for gaming/torrenting/general browsing and Debian for when I need to be productive things such as programming or school related work.

froz5
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Linux is Open Source Software,while Windows is not..The simplest benefits of Open Source Code to demonstrate are increased security, reliability and functionality..because users of Open Source are readily able to identify and correct problems with the programs and to submit their own enhancements for incorporation into the program. Closed Source systems enjoy none of those benefits..

Stabber
02-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Linux needs to improve some things in order to compete with windows

1. Gaming
2. Their office suite
3. The UI (Why big ugly fonts , with bad antialising ? )
4. Ease of installment

But in order to do that , the developers need foundation , money . This is my personal opinion , the programmers of windows are getting paid a shitload of money whereas the programmers of linux are doing that with their own free time , and only a few cash .

stoi
02-11-2012, 01:58 AM
1: Gaming- is that linuxes fault or the gaming companies for not releasing them on linux? (i honestly dont know but there must be a reason)

2: The Office suite is free, I have used it a little but i dont use MS office much either tbh, Gimp is OK again for free, they also have a 3d modeling program, I have installed it but never used it, mind you I installed Maya and never used that either.

3: Never really noticed, but then I am as blind as a bat, seem ok on Ubuntu 11.04

4: Ubuntu 11.04 was a piece of piss tbh, and i can mount all windows drives/folders with just double clicking them, if you are in windows you cant even see the linux partition.

I am on a wireless N connection with a tenda wireless N USB dongle thing, every version of linux hated it, could never get it to work, well Linux without the net is pointless, but 11.04 it worked out the box.

If i "had" to pay for windows, i would choose Linux now 100% of the time, but as i dont pay for windows, i use both about 50-50 but i am starting to prefer linux now over windows.

Funkin'
02-11-2012, 09:29 AM
I am on a wireless N connection with a tenda wireless N USB dongle thing, every version of linux hated it, could never get it to work, well Linux without the net is pointless, but 11.04 it worked out the box.

Give Crunchbang a try. I keep reading on their forums that one of the main reasons that people stick with it is because it's always worked out of the box for them. Which is true for me too, but I've never had a problem with any Linux distro not working with my connections. So you really can't go by my opinion on this particular subject.

Plus it's based on Debian Stable which is solid as rock. And it's incredibly light and fast. All around it's a fantastic distro.

It's worth a shot.

stoi
02-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Like i said ubuntu 11.04 worked out the box, so maybe a lot more will now, I know ubuntu 9.#/Debian 5/Kubuntu didnt, as i tried them, you needed to install rail, which i did and it still didnt work (probably my fault that though).

If i ever do get around to installing it again i may try it, but if something works i very rarely reinstall it.

Stabber
02-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Each distribution has it's pros and cons . Debian is solid as a rock with huge archive of applications , ubuntu is based on debian so it's pretty stable as well , and more noob friendly . One thing i dislike about debian is that is a pain to install proprietary software . I remember trying to install nvidia drivers a lot of time ago , and it was a pain to install them . Maybe things are changed now

stoi
02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
I have an nvidea card and it worked out of the box with ubuntu 11.04, but i do remember having headaches with that as well a couple of years ago.

Artemis
02-12-2012, 08:20 AM
I have an nvidea card and it worked out of the box with ubuntu 11.04, but i do remember having headaches with that as well a couple of years ago.

NVidia is very proactive these days with updating drivers for current Linux distros, and prompt you to download the latest driver when a new distro connects to the internet for the first time.
Something else you maybe interested in Stoi, a company called Codeweavers makes a DirectX gaming emulation for Linux called CrossOver Games (They also make an application emulator called CrossOver). CrossOver & CrossOver Games offer far more application support than Wine does, so there definitely is the ability to game with the latest titles under Linux.

ELJOKER
03-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Windows for me

i always go with Microsoft :)

Bugsy99
04-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu