PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Isp In Canada

xxxSHARExxx
11-15-2003, 04:11 PM
I wanna to know what is the best isp in canada

GMC0529
11-15-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm currently using Rogers cable with no complaints.

toddiscool
11-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Cogeco cable. amazing, I am so happy with this company. In 2 years I have never had my internet go out, not once.

james_bond_rulez
11-15-2003, 08:15 PM
i am using Telus, terrible customer support but they dont give a shit what i do with my connection.. :P

as long as i dont hack with this heheheh

ultimatejester
11-15-2003, 08:19 PM
Sympatico is pretty good. The support is awesome. You will never have a problem.

Edit:You can use this canadian ISP search engine to find ISP that fullfills your needs (http://canadianisp.com/)

Monkster
11-16-2003, 03:13 AM
i use telus...support is shit, but it works for me.

MagicNakor
11-16-2003, 04:24 AM
Rogers is bad...they're capping people now.

I used to have Telus, and it was absolutely terrible, I couldn't be connected for more than two minutes without it disconnecting.

Now I've got Shaw, and it's pretty decent.

:ninja:

Ariel_001
11-16-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by xxxSHARExxx@15 November 2003 - 16:11
I wanna to know what is the best isp in canada
where in canada ? maybe i could a tip :lol:

xxxSHARExxx
11-16-2003, 06:53 AM
toronto

GMC0529
11-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@15 November 2003 - 23:24
Rogers is bad...they're capping people now.
Oh Oh... Where did you hear (see) this??

MagicNakor
11-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Oddly enough, in the link ultimatejester posted, although I'd seen it in the newspapers a while ago.

Wilson Lam had been using Rogers Cable as his Internet service provider. But his service was disconnected this week because he was using it too much.

Though he can't use his Internet service, he has to keep paying his $44.95 monthly fee until Rogers has someone available to pick up its equipment at his home.

Steve Hornett, another Rogers high-speed Internet customer, was told this week he had 48 hours to reduce his Internet use or be disconnected.

Hornett stopped downloading software and using his corporate network from home. But he's afraid his usage may still be considered too high.

"I've never been conservative about my Internet use because I've never had to be and because my technology passion is a significant drive," he says. "I find it odd now to have to second-guess anything I do. I really don't know what Rogers considers `normal.' I have no reliable way of tracking my use, or knowing what Rogers' usage ceiling is."

Is this a new policy? Absolutely not, says Michael Lee, vice-president of product management at Rogers Cable.

Rogers has never capped service for residential customers, unlike Bell Canada, which tried charging more for heavy Internet use and later backed off.

"Rogers Hi-Speed Internet customers will continue to enjoy unlimited Internet usage," the company says at its Web site, adding that it decided to cancel a plan to set monthly usage allowances with charges for additional usage.

Lee refers to the contract customers sign (the end-user agreement), which says their usage can't have a negative impact on others' usage. For example, they can't send out spam or junk mail.

"A very small percentage of users ? well under 1 per cent ? is using the service in a way it was never designed to be used," he says. "They're using more than 2,000 per cent of the average bandwidth."

To generate that amount of traffic, according to Lee, you would have to download videos constantly or send out 20,000 e-mails a day.

You can also get into danger if you download free software, which has another program running in the background (unknown to you). He calls this "spam relay."

Bell's usage limits, when they were in effect, restricted high-speed Internet customers to 10 gigabytes a month.

Rogers Cable won't say what the cap is or tell its customers how much they have used
One gigabyte is the equivalent of 200 MP3 files for songs, 1.5 standard CD-ROMs or 67 downloads of the Spiderman movie trailer, according to the Rogers Web site (http://www.rogers.com).

"You can use two gigabytes tomorrow or three gigabytes. That's no problem," says Lee. "It's a sustained level of high usage that's a problem."

Nevertheless, Rogers' move to cut off high-volume users is generating lots of discussion at Web forums.

"Rogers has implemented a byte cap now, under the guise of a violation of the end-user agreement," says a member of the Residential Broadband Users' Association site (http://www.rbua.org).

"Rogers won't say exactly what the cap is and won't reveal to you what you've used, but they will cut off your access for a week if you go over the limit. If you keep going over the limit, they'll terminate your account."

Heavy users get warnings before they're cut off, Lee responds, and are brought back on the network if they agree to modify their behaviour.

But they must pay the monthly fee even if their service is suspended, he says. Their charges are suspended only when they return the equipment.

"Rogers seems to be playing this very close to the chest," says Hornett, who's waiting to hear if the steps he took were enough to resolve the company's concerns. "They won't tell anyone what the limits are, what the average use is or how they calculate the thresholds to identify so-called abusers. And the response received from their front-line call centre staff is wildly inconsistent."

We believe Rogers has the right to limit residential customers' Internet use to make the service run faster. But it shouldn't limit Internet use while pretending not to do so.

The company also has the right to disconnect heavy users. But it shouldn't cut off people without giving them the tools to track their usage.

Our advice to Rogers: Write to customers and explain what you are doing. Tell them how much bandwidth they can use before exceeding the monthly limit. Use standard measures such as gigabytes. Don't tell people they're using the service 2,000 times more than average users.

"My hunch is that Rogers thought they were dealing with a bunch of adolescent gamers and didn't consider there would be genuine business folk also affected," says Hornett. "Obviously, their over-all process for managing this is flawed."

Toronto Star

Globe and Mail 

Is Rogers Communications imposing limits on how much its customers use the Internet?

Yes and no.

An apparent contradiction between the language used by Rogers Communications Inc., owner of the country's largest cable television business, in its marketing and its End User Agreement (EUA) has created an uproar on the Residential Broadband Users' Association website.

Several posters have reported that Rogers has either cut them off or imposed limits — commonly called "bit caps" — on their use. One poster reported that Rogers technical support said he was allowed to use up to 500 megabytes a day; others reported being told it is 1 gigabyte or 1.3GB a day.

Michael Lee, Rogers' vice-president of product development, says the company does not impose limits on its Internet subscribers. But he did admit that some subscribers have received notices that their usage would be limited.

Those subscribers, he said, are such heavy users that the load they are putting on the network slows down other customers' connections, a common problem with cable Internet connections.

Mr. Lee said that Rogers bases its business on how much traffic is generated by the average user, and that a "very, very small number" use as much as 2,000 per cent more than the average.

Rogers subscriber Ed Berlot came home Monday night to find his modem blinking red. He called Rogers and was told that he had been cut off due to abuse.

"I spoke with some supervisor who gave me a song and dance about using 2,000 per cent more resources than anyone else, and nobody else on my node could get on the Internet," he told Globetechnology.com. "The funny part is my neighbour got the same story. If we were both using such a large amount of resources, how did any one of us ever get on the Internet?"

Mr. Berlot, who has since changed to a digital subscriber line (DSL) service, said he used the Internet to "play a lot of on-line games, and download anime [Japanese animated cartoons] from the Rogers' newsgroups."

Another customer, Alfred Janaway, told Globetechnology.com that a technical support representative "advised me that my bandwidth was limited to 1 gigabyte a day. When I brought up the fact that Rogers advertises unlimited Internet usage, his reply was that the connection was unlimited but the bandwidth was limited."

"To me that has to be the silliest argument I have ever heard," Mr. Janaway said.

Mr. Lee said people "misinterpret or extrapolate" information, and that's where the problem starts.

In fact, people affected by the informal limits point to Rogers' Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page, where it says that "Rogers has decided to cancel its plans to set monthly usage allowances with charges for additional usage on all Rogers Hi-Speed Internet services. Rogers Hi-Speed Internet customers will continue to enjoy unlimited Internet usage. Please keep in mind that Rogers Hi-Speed Internet will always offer a competitive service at good value."

But the End User Agreement, which is the contract that customers accept when subscribing to the service, says that the subscriber agrees not to "restrict, inhibit or otherwise interfere with the ability of any other person to use or enjoy the Internet … or create an unusually large burden on our network."

It was the EUA that Rogers' support staff quoted when sending notices to subscribers about their activities.

When asked about the apparent contradiction, Mr. Lee said that Rogers would "look into the FAQ."

Users who require that much bandwidth should not be subscribing to a residential service, he said, but one more like Rogers' business service. The business service is faster and costs more.

He compared Rogers' Internet connection to telephone service. Though in Canada there's no limit to how much one can use the telephone, the telephone company would object if individual users would leave a phone line open all day, he said. And if all subscribers tried to do the same, the phone company "would crater" — since the network was not designed to handle all customers at once.

He insisted that Rogers does not impose caps on its users, and that "the customers could download 10GB tomorrow, and nothing will happen."

But, he added, "there are customers whose level of consumption leads me to believe that it's a commercial usage," and he says these customers need a different service.

He said Rogers does not have a method of monitoring users for specific activities, such as running e-mail servers or peer-to-peer programs, but judges them according to the volume of activity only.

marleyswoman
11-17-2003, 03:49 AM
:P Hello from Hamilton,Ontario.

I use Cogeco and have never had any problems in the 2 years I've had it...had Sympatico before and it was awful.
peace and love...Marleyswoman :)

Jay
11-17-2003, 04:11 AM
dont they have comcast in canada

MagicNakor
11-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Not where I live.

And I wouldn't feel comfortable using an ISP that's got a class-action suit against it for tracking users' web surfing.

victord66
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I use to use Inter.net (the old istar) but due to very slow speeds I switched to Sympatico Ultra which now consistently gives me speeds between 4-5 Mbps. Here's a great new site to conduct tests: http://speedtest.net/

kayvanblue
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
i signed for unlimited bandwidth account with rogers and about 3 month later..they put a 60 GB bandwidth cap for all thier users who knows it could be 20 gB tmw