PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb/US Suffering (yet again....)

Beck38
01-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Well, here we go again.... I was going to post something 3-4 hours ago, but it's gotten so bad now, it's virtually came to a crawl.

Problems d/l'ing started some 12+ hours ago, even getting headers. Major 'gaps' in those headers (compared to Astra/EU, Giga, and others); now, for some reason, the amount of traffic over the last 24 hours has virtually 'exploded', maybe the Astra/US plant simply can't 'keep up' with it. Odd that the EU plant sees the same huge increase (as does everyone else), but again, the US plant is having major problems both keeping up and transferring anything OUT of that plant.

Interestingly, things uploaded to Astra/US are just swimming right along; no problems accepting, forwarding, ect., right out to other servers with no delay, no problems.

I just d/l'ed some 'test' files, and it did so with the roaring speed of..... around 1Kb/s. Then did the same from Giganews/US, and it quickly swamped my connection and zap! it was done. Same with Astra/EU.

Yet again, major problems with the Astra/US plant, probably creating 'gaps' and the like as well, but it's so s-l-o-w right now, really can't tell...!

Beck38
01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Bit of an update, the plant (Astra/US) has been slow/ok, slow/ok several times in the last 48-72 hours, I tracked down what seems to be causing it, and it appears like someone with WAY too much bandwidth is hammering the site with massive uploads, again, what appears to be full Blu-Ray rips of various movies, at speeds way exceeding 1Gb/s, perhaps as much as 10Gb/s, using Camelpost and a Russian email address.

Interestingly, the propagation out from the server didn't seem to ever be affected badly, but other uploads to it were getting slowed down and retrieving headers or downloading slowed to a crawl while the uploads were 'happening'.

Very probable that someone with access to a corporate connection, maybe somewhere close to Astra/US around Silicon Valley, went 'whole hog' on things. It's backed off for now, but may start up once again on this, a 3-day weekend in the US.

Hypatia
01-16-2012, 06:20 AM
as much as 10Gb/s

and how did u determine that?

if you are talking about (RusBDArchive) then his upload traffic doesnt seem that high.
and i wouldnt really say that he post that much :

(RusBDArchive
http://nzbindex.nl/search/?q=&age=30&max=25&minage=&sort=agedesc&minsize=&maxsize=&dq=&poster=RusBDArchive&nfo=&hidespam=0&hidespam=1&more=1

town.ag (check out appr. upload speed in collection view, i suppose they upload from a dedicated server or vps. once i had one and could upload at 55+Mbyte.(maximum my plan offered)
http://nzbindex.nl/search/?q=town&age=&max=25&minage=&sort=agedesc&minsize=15000&maxsize=&dq=&poster=&nfo=&hidespam=0&hidespam=1&more=1

Beck38
01-18-2012, 03:00 AM
It has 'backed off' quite a bit from the weekend, still posting some 5+ full BD rips per day though, which is about what some others do as well.

But these kinds of speeds are virtually unknown in the US, and the number of folks utilizing hosting machines for usenet (unlike torrent folks) are pretty rare. Remember, the US is what, 27th in the ranking of internet speeds to the consumer, and if it was judged on upload speeds I'm sure it'd be somewhere around 100th world ranging, between two countries one never heard of.

Pretty bad.