PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload busted!

korton
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Federal prosecutors in Virginia have shut down one of the world's largest file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws

http://rodrigoebr.tumblr.com/post/16126396317/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19776041
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/19/feds-shut-down-file-sharing-website/

anon
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I've just heard this elsewhere, it came as a shock to me.

john pal
01-19-2012, 09:00 PM
sopa strike... back

Glaucon
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Came a bit as a shock, but why Megaupload? I mean, there's a ton of other sites that do the exact same thing.

stoi
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Seemingly they had some servers in Va USA hence why they could take it through the courts there and take them down (thats just from one of those links though)

Dotcom, a resident of both Hong Kong and New Zealand, and a dual citizen of Finland and Germany, made more than $42 million from the conspiracy in 2010 alone, according to the indictment.

Dotcom is founder, former CEO and current chief innovation officer of Megaupload.

if thats true then its a WOW factor lol

esco123
01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
What omg, what's going on these days seems like every thing getting caught

Hiccup
01-19-2012, 11:55 PM
I've just heard this elsewhere, it came as a shock to me.

This same sentiment/reaction came out of me as well. Basically froze everything I was doing and reverted into news gathering mode. Still in total shock. Can't believe it. What a way to end 2011 and begin/start 2012. Glad I was able to get what I could while it was up. Now wish it could have been a few more since I need some programming material/tutorials from there. Glad (*sarcasm*) they took down a site which for some had legit uses.

KraGeRzR
01-20-2012, 12:10 AM
My reaction was something along the lines of wow, everyone who just bought megaupload accounts are gonna be pissed.

Hypatia
01-20-2012, 08:05 AM
It seems to me corrupted and bent US government officials and racketeers from RIAA and such like involved in mass money extortion understand only the language of war and terror since the constitution and laws mean nothing to them
The time has come for them to have their very own 09/11
People must protect human rights and liberties against the band of criminals By any means necessary.
The War against governments and unlawful corporations must begin.

DeadPoet
01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Posted already on BT section but this is more appropriate thread - MU is back http://109.236.83.66/

KraGeRzR
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
It seems to me corrupted and bent US government officials and racketeers from RIAA and such like involved in mass money extortion understand only the language of war and terror since the constitution and laws mean nothing to them
The time has come for them to have their very own 09/11
People must protect human rights and liberties against the band of criminals By any means necessary.
The War against governments and unlawful corporations must begin.

What is this anon shit?

Stabber
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Posted already on BT section but this is more appropriate thread - MU is back http://109.236.83.66/

Is this for real or is this fake?

DeadPoet
01-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Is this for real or is this fake?

It's fake. I'm sorry for spreading wrong information. Forgive me fellow FST'ians.

anon
01-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Before I turned to the second page, that site instantly screamed "fake" to me. I believe Megaupload would spell "beware of the phishing sites" correctly, and not host themselves in a residential Netherlands IP. Some douche trying to create buzz using a well-known name, or a scam to collect accounts in case the real MU comes back?

DeadPoet
01-20-2012, 05:55 PM
You could post that DeadPoet is noob who can't even tell a difference between fake and legit sites. :idunno:

anon
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM
If I weren't perceptive enough to notice you only had good intentions, maybe I'd have done that.

bijoy
01-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Looks like a fake site to me.

DeadPoet
01-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Looks like a fake site to me.

You don't say. :rolleyes:

laz305
01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
It's a sad sad day for the human race. This is only the beginning, once they bea MegaUpload there will be no stopping them. Youtube is next people.

Glaucon
01-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Youtube is next people.

You need to lay off the coffee for a while.

anon
01-22-2012, 05:27 PM
once they bea MegaUpload there will be no stopping them. Youtube is next people.

That battle will be brutal, considering YouTube is one of Google's biggest revenue and data collection sources.

ninoxy
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
brutal:blink:

MASSIVEENTITY
01-23-2012, 11:01 PM
once they bea MegaUpload there will be no stopping them. Youtube is next people.

That battle will be brutal, considering YouTube is one of Google's biggest revenue and data collection sources.

I forgot about "the tube". how they will handle this will be interesting for sure. Google vs. DOJ

Snee
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ

Needs more tinfoil tbh.

Sort of raises a good point, though. IIRC they never did write out what they logged and didn't log in their privacy statements. (Good luck to the FBI sifting through something like 50 milliion dls a day for something useful, however.)

Between things like this, and ACTA coming up, it's corporate fascism ahoi :dabs:

I guess it's time to bring on those Darknets as well as get properly acquainted with truecrypt, for those of you who aren't already. Until they completely outlaw VPNs, encryption and privacy, that is.

bijoy
01-27-2012, 07:31 AM
What next? No more warez-bb? :cry:

ASU_Sundevil
01-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Their song was way too funny.

zot
01-31-2012, 05:37 AM
I find it somewhat amusing that people could actually fall for any of these "backup site" claims. Unlike a link site like NinjaVideo, which the entire site could easily be copied onto a single small flash drive, a file-hosting site like MegaUpload occupied petabytes of storage, making any secret backup copies prohibitively expensive to store and maintain. So expensive that we can rest assured that none ever existed.

Every few years there's a ground-breaking, earth-shattering bust that catches everyone by surprise. Whether it's scene groups like the Drink-or-Die bust in 2001, or private torrent sites like the EliteTorrents bust in 2005, the existing (surviving) sites go through a rather predictable pattern. First, they all batten down the hatches and shudder in fear in their underground bunkers, expecting the worst. Then gradually, one by one, they loosen things back up, and eventually, life goes on almost like before.

I expect the same process will take place with file hosting sites in the wake of the MegaUpload bust. In fact, I expect most of them to go back as if nothing had ever happened, since they are really not even doing anything that Youtube does not do. Megaupload was an exceptional case, owned and run by a serial convicted criminal, so the company started out under increased police scrutiny and the likelihood of surveillance.

Megaupload may have been more like Usenet.com/Newsgroups.com/Newsfeeds.com - the one company in the usenet provider business that stepped over the line (even a little bit) and ended up being snuffed out as a result - while today the rest of the usenet industry carries on the same as before, almost as if nothing had ever happened.

Training4all
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
hmm... very sad...I'm just glad I quit using Mega before all this drama began.

Tuxman
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I wonder when people will finally see that decentralized P2P (like Kad) is the future. How many DDLs need to be taken down yet?

Hiccup
02-16-2012, 05:01 AM
I know it's not mega but I felt it better here than starting its own thread: did multiupload bite the dust as well?

beanjoe
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I know it's not mega but I felt it better here than starting its own thread: did multiupload bite the dust as well?

Hmm, not really sure on that one but I heard there are already plenty of them sites like these two are calling it quits.

Too bad it closed down, plenty of people were using it for legit stuff. Although as far as I know Kim Dotcom was also into some pretty shady business like money laundering and other stuff, that's probably what started this whole mess in the first place. That and probably not playing nice with the RIAA.:dry:

anon
02-16-2012, 05:35 PM

I was told so yesterday. The files they linked to aren't gone but the links are, so it's pretty much the same.

Hiccup
02-17-2012, 07:33 AM

I was told so yesterday. The files they linked to aren't gone but the links are, so it's pretty much the same.

This really sucks. I wish the links were around, but now they'll just die out. multi was great for some foreign stuff/educational stuff you can't find anywhere for some reason.

also, looks like rapidshare's done after today.

anon
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM

What do you mean?

Tuxman
02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Now that happens when people trust in link lists instead of a searchable network. :)

Hiccup
02-18-2012, 06:47 AM

What do you mean?
Extreme limitations on bandwith and usage, etc. Doesn't make it worthwhile to really even go there, although there are ways around it.

anon
02-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Extreme limitations on bandwith and usage, etc.

You were referring to the 30kB/s limit? I just read about that today. I wonder if they already have enough of a following, with the OCH crisis, to play tough and be able to cash on it.

Hiccup
02-20-2012, 04:15 AM
Extreme limitations on bandwith and usage, etc.

You were referring to the 30kB/s limit? I just read about that today. I wonder if they already have enough of a following, with the OCH crisis, to play tough and be able to cash on it.

People will just go elsewhere. There's enough competition and the more people complain, the less people will go there. Still don't understand why some places don't go to the over seas places (i.e. IL/RU sites, etc.). Also, It's not just the 30kb limit. That would be maybe doable here and there, its more the fact that their DLs crash and then there's no resume.

BTW, what does OCH stand for?

anon
02-20-2012, 05:15 AM
BTW, what does OCH stand for?

One-click hosters. It's another term for these services. One only I seem to use, as I'm asked that question often. :P

OldIronTits
02-21-2012, 03:27 PM
OCH = DDL (Direct DownLoad)

beanjoe
02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
So, any other good alternatives to Megaupload around? Preferably ones that don't bite the dust anytime soon.

By the way since we're on this megaupload alternatives matter, I heard something on some new filesharing alternative from audials.com or I think that's what it was called.

This audials thing is supposed to be a new technology for filesharing and a save alternative to megaupload and them filesharing sites.It didn't really say if it's some sort of cloud or some piece of software or anything like that.

Did any of you guys hear anything on this whole new audials filesharing technology? Suppose it would come in handy, if indeed this whole thing is real and not some worthless rumor.

shirazzz
03-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Mega Uploads shut down was a total bummer!. but i came across this amazing file sharing website TAWKLE. you should all check it out

beanjoe
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Looks like the feds are trying to extradite Dotcom:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/megaupload-kim-dotcom-defends-himself-296911

Dotcom and some of his colleagues are being pursued over what the U.S. government calls the "Mega Conspiracy

Jeeze, Mega Conspiracy?! Yeah right, that's a real conspiracy when pigs fly.

On a little side note, I found out what's that new sharing tech I was wondering about.

Looks like it's some new Audials Light (http://www.mytechguide.org/11460/audials-anywhere-light-beta-download/) piece of software that includes an audials anywhere filesharing feature for accessing your media anywhere and sharing music and videos and stuff like that with friends via some invitation system.

It's free to use so I figured someone else might have some good use for it.