PDA

View Full Version : Impacts of SOPA on BT

Tv Controls you
01-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Can't believe this isn't a trending thread here.... Haven't been on the scene much recently,
but this SOPA garbage has everyone losing their minds.

I mean I realized it was out of control when wiki shut down for a day, and firefox/google had blatant ad banners
to support the anti-SOPA movement on their front pages.

I highly doubt this act will ever be passed, but if so what are some impacts we will be seeing (I'm assuming) in the near future (hypothetical)

Quarterquack
01-20-2012, 06:28 AM
I highly doubt this act will ever be passed, but if so what are some impacts we will be seeing (I'm assuming) in the near future (hypothetical)

No impact whatsoever. Alternative DNS server usage and IP address look-up is all you need to bypass it.

It only sets a precedent for other more sinister laws to follow suit, however.

Tv Controls you
01-20-2012, 06:40 AM

No impact whatsoever. Alternative DNS server usage and IP address look-up is all you need to bypass it.

It only sets a precedent for other more sinister laws to follow suit, however.

Not sure what your getting at when you say "Alternative DNS server usage", if you wouldn't mind clarifying?

Questions from reading your post:
So the act will allow for the unmapping of ip addresses to domain names for pirated websites?
If so what is the point of remapping your ip address to another domain name, as they could remove that to?

Or are you suggesting something along the lines of a rogue DNS server, operated by pirates(Wow, that's a scary thought lol)?

KRink
01-20-2012, 07:44 AM
he means manually changing your DNS server in control panel (to 4.2.2.2 for example) instead of using the one your ISP assigns you. I dont know what he means about alternative IP address look-up, Im assuming its hiding your actual ip through some means like a proxy or tunnel, but im not sure.

LAMOVIDA
01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Megaupload its back online but with new ip ;)

mjmacky
01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
he means manually changing your DNS server in control panel (to 4.2.2.2 for example) instead of using the one your ISP assigns you. I dont know what he means about alternative IP address look-up, Im assuming its hiding your actual ip through some means like a proxy or tunnel, but im not sure.

You change the DNS on either your router (or modem if it acts as router). Control panel only if your computer gets the public IP address. Alternative IP address lookup means you find the IP address through another service (there are numerous websites for that) and simply replace the name domain with the IP address.

Tv Controls you
01-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Megaupload its back online but with new ip ;)

First off, I highly doubt that is the official Megaupload if your talking about the IP I'm thinking of.
There are many template and site rips that look exactly (or damn near) the real Mega-upload.
Second off, I fail to see how a DDL site has to do with BT? lol

I try to avoid the rocky seas of DDL sites at all costs. Such a hassle with broken links, wait times, non-parrallel downloads, ads everywhere (even with abp), hourly limits, and multiple parts..

anon
01-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Or are you suggesting something along the lines of a rogue DNS server, operated by pirates(Wow, that's a scary thought lol)?

Indeed, because it opens the possibility of hosting a name server that redirects you to phishing sites. I'm guessing you can always use those of any ISP outside the States, though - many don't check if you're one of their customers.

I try to avoid the rocky seas of DDL sites at all costs. Such a hassle with broken links, wait times, non-parrallel downloads, ads everywhere (even with abp), hourly limits, and multiple parts..

They're much better if you know the tricks :O

Tv Controls you
01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Indeed, because it opens the possibility of hosting a name server that redirects you to phishing sites. I'm guessing you can always use those of any ISP outside the States, though - many don't check if you're one of their customers.

They're much better if you know the tricks :O

I know how to bypass pretty much everything I listed....
Download manager (usually only works on a choice few DDL sites, and usually depreciates in a few months time), switch ip addresses, or use one of those
DDL bypassing websites (95% phissing sites). By the time you have DDL going smooth you would have wasted more time than necessary (and it will probably not work in a month anyway)
Or you could simply hack an account on one of DDL sites (the problem is over 80% of the accounts you would get are free accounts)

Where as in BT... You simply download utorrent (never need to change) and click the torrent... done lol.

anon
01-21-2012, 03:11 AM
I know how to bypass pretty much everything I listed....
Download manager (usually only works on a choice few DDL sites, and usually depreciates in a few months time)

jDownloader supports hundreds of hosters, uses their API if existent to minimize the amount of breaking, and if a plugin is outdated, most of the time you only need to restart the program so that it updates itself. Basically, if something exists, jD can download it. Then you can use IP-changing scripts or alternating links to be always downloading. The program will wait for you and there's that addon to deal with captchas (you solve others' captchas, they solve yours).

OlegL
01-21-2012, 06:05 AM
I don't know much about networking, but isn't it true that each ISP provides only a limited number of DNS servers for its customers? How can you keep switching between alternate DNS servers if there aren't many servers to choose from? I don't know if a DNS server can be hidden by a proxy.
...But I don't know if the things I said even make sense. I don't know shit about networking.

anon
01-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't know much about networking, but isn't it true that each ISP provides only a limited number of DNS servers for its customers? How can you keep switching between alternate DNS servers if there aren't many servers to choose from?

The amount of name servers they may operate is limited, but you're free to use whatever ones you wish instead of theirs. If you know the DNS IPs of another provider, which may not even be in your own country, you can use that instead. Or you can even run your own server locally and have it connect directly to the Internet root nameservers.

OlegL
01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
That's interesting.

mjmacky
01-21-2012, 09:48 PM
I use a DNS server meant for the public school system employees, but only because it's super fucking fast here (comparatively).

stoi
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
I have to be honest i havnt taken much notice of this at all, I should have done but with everything else that has been going on atm, I just havnt.

But from what I understand (and i could be completely wrong here) they have to get a court order, then they block the DNS to the Domain on that IP, so you cant get to the domain anymore, but most hosts have 5 ips per server and you can buy more for a couple of dollars each, so can the sites not just link the domain to another IP, this will open the domain up again, and they have to get another court order, which will cost more than a couple of dollars, rinse and repeat. I dont "think" it gives them rights to seize domains (they do that sometimes anyway i suppose).

Like i said though, i could be talking shite, or this PIPA which i know nothing about at all, may stop you from doing that.

anon
01-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I use a DNS server meant for the public school system employees, but only because it's super fucking fast here (comparatively).

I was on OpenDNS before, but due to their stupid landing pages I switched to DNSResolvers. Apparently they're hosted in Canada.

waffler
01-22-2012, 06:24 AM
I've always wondered, wouldn't switching to a DNS server apart from the one assigned by your ISP slow down page load times marginally ? I mean, my isp's DNS seems to work better than openDNS or Google DNS .

mjmacky
01-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I've always wondered, wouldn't switching to a DNS server apart from the one assigned by your ISP slow down page load times marginally ? I mean, my isp's DNS seems to work better than openDNS or Google DNS .

It depends. In my case I remember my ISP's being 6th or 7th on the list. Best bet is to benchmark them, anon or Tesco recommended a program a while back. Was it namebench or DNSbench?

waffler
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Yup, namebench it is. It shows my isp's DNS to be best suited for my line, followed by another's and then openDNS and Google DNS respectively.

mjmacky
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Yup, namebench it is. It shows my isp's DNS to be best suited for my line, followed by another's and then openDNS and Google DNS respectively.

Then your ISP wins the internet.

waffler
01-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Why, thank you :happy:

anon
01-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Just because the ping time is lower (your provider's servers are within their own network, no third-party service can beat that) it doesn't mean they're actually faster or better - they could take more time to look up records and actually resolve names, or a small eternity for new entries to propagate. Issues like that are why people turn to these services in the first place :)

Besides, OpenDNS uses anycast routing, so even if the 208.67.*.* IPs are in the US, they're actually being routed to servers physically much closer to you (easily checkable by comparing traceroute results). Google I don't know, but considering they're Google the giant they probably do it as well.

waffler
01-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Just because the ping time is lower (your provider's servers are within their own network, no third-party service can beat that) it doesn't mean they're actually faster or better - they could take more time to look up records and actually resolve names, or a small eternity for new entries to propagate. Issues like that are why people turn to these services in the first place :)

Yup, this is what I was talking about, thanks for clearing my doubts.

Besides, OpenDNS uses anycast routing, so even if the 208.67.*.* IPs are in the US, they're actually being routed to servers physically much closer to you (easily checkable by comparing traceroute results). Google I don't know, but considering they're Google the giant they probably do it as well.

Yup, seems so, a tracert to 8.8.8.8 shows 14 ms. Thank you for the information :)

absent_today
01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Is there any news that BT would also be attacked by SOPA now since most file host has brought down to knees.