PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp Boot Ini

The King
11-15-2003, 10:32 PM
I get this message when I start up my computer saying

"could not locate boot ini."

\and I can't start up my computer. does anyone know where i can find this file so that i can use a boot screen from my floppy drive? Or does anyone know how I can fix this.

LTJBukem
11-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Assuming you're using XP/2000, not dual booting, and you have an XP cdrom:

- Start recovery console from XP cdrom.

- Enter command > bootcfg /default

This repairs the boot sector

:)

The King
11-15-2003, 10:51 PM
I have XP, but it came preloadedd on my HP Laptop, so all I have is the recovery disks that restore my computer to when I first bought it. But i don;t want to use this because I have several important files on my computer.

LTJBukem
11-15-2003, 11:12 PM
I don't know what to suggest then mate. The boot.ini is in the root of your c drive and looks like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

There might be some way to restore it in dos from a command prompt, but i don't know how. I'll see if i can find something and post back later if noone else already has..

The King
11-15-2003, 11:50 PM
since I can't start up my computer, does anyone know how to start sytem restore in a command prompt or DOS.

ie ( C:\ )

Johnny_B
11-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by The King@15 November 2003 - 23:50
since I can't start up my computer, does anyone know how to start sytem restore in a command prompt or DOS.

ie ( C:\ )
Go here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;304449).

The King
11-16-2003, 12:09 AM
you have to log on os administrator. I want to start system restore while in the situation that i stated i am in above. ;) thanks though

The King
11-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@15 November 2003 - 18:12
I don't know what to suggest then mate. The boot.ini is in the root of your c drive and looks like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

There might be some way to restore it in dos from a command prompt, but i don't know how. I'll see if i can find something and post back later if noone else already has..

whats the boot ini for Home Edition?

The King
11-16-2003, 12:50 AM
does anyone know of a small size xp boot ini that will fit on a floppy? all the ones i have found are to big

LTJBukem
11-16-2003, 01:14 AM
A boot.ini file is a very small system text file. Not sure what you've got. You could try copying the text i gave you and changing it to home. Not sure how you might restore your system with it though. Save it in notepad as boot.ini