PDA

View Full Version : It looks like some professionals want to make changes to the definition of autism

OlegL
01-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Skim through this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/health/research/new-autism-definition-would-exclude-many-study-suggests.html . It looks like some folks want to redefine what autism is.

mjmacky
01-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Didn't read through, but I would hope it wasn't being redefined by amateurs.

megabyteme
01-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Cheer up, Oleg. This could mean you are "cured"*...

*From what I read, people in the medical community have been "worried" by the numbers 1 in a 100 who are being diagnosed with Asperger's. They want to put an "end" to the number of people getting disability. That often means a Conservative group is funding a group of doctors to change the wording in the medical journal. Less money spent, and fewer people drawing disability. Win/win, right?

In contrast to this "flood" of Autism claims, let's look at what 1% of the population means- that's equal to the number of PhD's you come across in your daily life. They are everywhere, aren't they?

Keep us posted on any news involving this, Oleg. That's undoubtedly a big worry for you, and possibly other parents like Chalice.

Squeamous
01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Didn't read through, but I would hope it wasn't being redefined by amateurs.

It said something about counting toothpicks and wondering who's on third base.

Skim through this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/health/research/new-autism-definition-would-exclude-many-study-suggests.html . It looks like some folks want to redefine what autism is.

It stands to reason that what is classed as 'abnormal' is going to be whatever occupies a defined portion of the sloping sides of any behavioural bell-shaped curve. And that portion has to be a significantly small one otherwise the behaviour stops being abnormal and becomes typical. So, if we find that a significant proportion of the population are exhibiting a behaviour, that becomes standard and no longer significantly abnormal to require treatment.

Personally I think this is just reflecting public feeling. I think most people are fed up of every little character trait becoming medicalised. A friend of mine recently announced he had ADHD and this manifested itself as being 'unable to focus, particularly on boring tasks'. Duh. You're not supposed to be able to focus on boring tasks. The world would be fucking boring if we were all the same. We could do with more tolerance of each other instead of trying to medicate everyone into a homogenous blend of what makes us least likely to cause trouble and most likely to be economically productive.

Something Else
01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
To be fair, some amateurs probably do too.

mjmacky
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Personally I think this is just reflecting public feeling. I think most people are fed up of every little character trait becoming medicalised. A friend of mine recently announced he had ADHD and this manifested itself as being 'unable to focus, particularly on boring tasks'. Duh. You're not supposed to be able to focus on boring tasks. The world would be fucking boring if we were all the same. We could do with more tolerance of each other instead of trying to medicate everyone into a homogenous blend of what makes us least likely to cause trouble and most likely to be economically productive.

You want to hear something scary? My wife had a class of freshman high schoolers, and 75 % of them would take pills at the same time, during one of her periods*.

*Not to mean her period was the cause, but we call each class session a period here.

megabyteme
01-24-2012, 06:58 AM
75 % of them would take pills at the same time

Reminds me of this, but all taking meds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjVpgLkeFg

Squeamous
01-24-2012, 01:02 PM

You want to hear something scary? My wife had a class of freshman high schoolers, and 75 % of them would take pills at the same time, during one of her periods*.

*Not to mean her period was the cause, but we call each class session a period here.

:lol: I did immediately think you were insinuating she was such a cow she drove them to Zoloft.

There's also another problem here. Children are raised these days to think that they have to be stimulated by their external environment every minute of the day. It's a non-stop round of flashing lights and loud noises for the little fuckers. You plonk a child in front of a TV for hours a day to which it inevitably abdicates all its higher brain functions, and what you're going to get is a child that can't self-soothe. Equally if you're an over attentive parent who provides all manner of toys/games/nannies/playmates, the same thing will happen. What a child needs is to impose itself on its surroundings and be creative. Quietly. Models, books, dolls, puzzles, bricks etc. It also needs a parent at home in its early years who will talk to and engage with it one-on-one in a rational and peaceful way when it does need attention. It will get plenty of excitatory stimulation when it gets taken outside for some exercise or mixes with all the other feral little shits at school/nursery. There are generations of kids currently being raised who don't know how to just sit down and STFU.

Barbarossa
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM

:lol: I did immediately think you were insinuating she was such a cow she drove them to Zoloft.

There's also another problem here. Children are raised these days to think that they have to be stimulated by their external environment every minute of the day. It's a non-stop round of flashing lights and loud noises for the little fuckers. You plonk a child in front of a TV for hours a day to which it inevitably abdicates all its higher brain functions, and what you're going to get is a child that can't self-soothe. Equally if you're an over attentive parent who provides all manner of toys/games/nannies/playmates, the same thing will happen. What a child needs is to impose itself on its surroundings and be creative. Quietly. Models, books, dolls, puzzles, bricks etc. It also needs a parent at home in its early years who will talk to and engage with it one-on-one in a rational and peaceful way when it does need attention. It will get plenty of excitatory stimulation when it gets taken outside for some exercise or mixes with all the other feral little shits at school/nursery. There are generations of kids currently being raised who don't know how to just sit down and STFU.

That's one of the most profound and undeniably true things I've ever read on the internets. Excellent! :)

Something Else
01-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Maybe 75% of her students were girls. If you put wymyn together for long enough, their periods start to sync (as well as attracting bears). They probably need pills and stuff to keep the bears away, so that pretty much explains it.

megabyteme
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Maybe 75% of her students were girls. If you put wymyn together for long enough, their periods start to sync (as well as attracting bears). They probably need pills and stuff to keep the bears away, so that pretty much explains it.

Bears/teenage boys/Macky...all about the same.

Quarterquack
01-25-2012, 05:05 AM
let's look at what 1% of the population means- that's equal to the number of PhD's you come across in your daily life.

Depends on where you work doesn't it? I'm surrounded by people who are 10 years into their Post Doc. :shifty:

Research has shown that children are extremely sturdy. It's how they can mostly avoid being fucked up by their parents so often.

megabyteme
01-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm surrounded by people who are 10 years into their Post Doc. :shifty:

Yes, but you are an in-patient. That's different. :P

Squeamous
01-25-2012, 11:30 AM

You are correct. In fact, my menstrual cycle has synced with Chavis and Macky's.

mjmacky
01-25-2012, 03:24 PM
You are correct. In fact, my menstrual cycle has synced with Chavis and Macky's.

I didn't know you also had a 10 day menstrual cycle. Go figure.

Snee
01-25-2012, 08:22 PM

The defintion of autism may have changed, but you're still a cunt.

Also, any redefinition of your condition that doesn't change the official spelling to include Ass and Burgers DOES NOT HOLD WATER.

mjmacky
01-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Snee missed the choo choo.

IdolEyes787
01-26-2012, 12:36 AM

Shut the fuck up before I come over there and make you.

OlegL
01-26-2012, 03:53 AM

The defintion of autism may have changed, but you're still a cunt.

Also, any redefinition of your condition that doesn't change the official spelling to include Ass and Burgers DOES NOT HOLD WATER.

Welcome back, Snee! I remember starting a thread about you and in that thread I asked folks why you stopped posting on FST. We missed you! It's good to have you back.
I am not sure if I am indeed a cunt. I am not sure what I am.

Artemis
01-26-2012, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jkBOU9etRA

mjmacky
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Shut the fuck up before I come over there and make you.

Which method will you be using today, not the sock full of nickels again?

manker
01-31-2012, 11:25 PM

Research has shown that children are extremely sturdy. It's how they can mostly avoid being fucked by their parents so often.That's one of the most profound and undeniably true things I've ever read on the internets. Excellent! :)

Snee
01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
lulz.

Barbarossa
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
:snooty:

Snee
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Research has shown that children are extremely sturdy. It's how they can mostly avoid being fucked by their parents so often.That's one of the most profound and undeniably true things I've ever read on the internets. Excellent! :)

This is the subtle shotgun technique, like.

Hits multiple targets, but they have to think about it first.

manker
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
:happy:

I've always liked you, SnnY Botson.

Snee
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
So have I, sur, so have I.

manker
02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Narcissist

Snee
02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Well spotted, or something else.

Barbarossa
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
...and to think I used to think quite highly of both of you :no:

Squeamous
02-02-2012, 11:17 AM
That's one of the most profound and undeniably true things I've ever read on the internets. Excellent! :)

He quoted my bit too, do you think I need to worry? I've tried gently relaxing my eyes and losing focus but nothing's becoming any clearer. I am getting a niggling headache though, which doesn't bode well for Manky :sneaky:

manker
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM

He quoted my bit too, do you think I need to worry?
:naughty: