PDA

View Full Version : Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tmaster
10-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Please, tell us what is the latest movie you watched?

megabyteme
12-06-2011, 08:16 AM
sorceress and white snake 7/10
it was good time pass movie.but lang is chines.so i didn't understand the very well.

You really suck at the keyboard thing don't you ?

My money says his limitations do not stop with the keyboard. :noes:

mjmacky
12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
sorceress and white snake 7/10
it was good time pass movie.but lang is chines.so i didn't understand the very well.

I went to see Spiderman 3 in a movie theater in China once, we were in Xi'an and had about 4 hours to kill before our train left. My thought was that since it was only just released in the U.S. at the time, it'll most likely be subtitled. In one of the very few instances that I was ever wrong, the movie was in fact dubbed. So there we sat, watching the entire Spiderman 3 in Chinese. It actually didn't bother me, I feel like if it was in English I probably would have walked out of the theater before it finished.

megabyteme
12-08-2011, 03:16 AM
I've never asked, but what were you doing in China, Macky?

anigav
12-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Ni Hao Macky, don't tell me you saw this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvNKhVUHjsQ

mjmacky
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I've never asked, but what were you doing in China, Macky?

I was there twice. The first time (Spiderman 3 incident) was when I went to visit my wife who was living/working there for 6 months. The second time was when I was giving a 12-hour lecture series on Environmental Chemistry at a university in Beijing ($2600 for two weeks, they paid for my flight and put me up in a nice flat, score).

Ni Hao Macky, don't tell me you saw this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvNKhVUHjsQ

They're speaking Japanese, and that obviously when Spidermaneru was part of the Science Ninja Team. I have to say, the actions sequences are much better than the Batman series, though it was 10 years its junior.

Cheese
12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
The Hangover 2.

It was like a cheap photocopy of the original film (which wasn't that good either). Though Chang from Community was in it but he died and then got arrested (spoilers) so that sucked.

Al_X
12-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Armageddon
I like this film, lots of actions. And also, I'm amused by the cliches and physical inaccuracies that appear throughout the movie. But of course, not a movie I watch if I have a choice (it was the only thing going on TV atm).

Artemis
12-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Armageddon
I like this film, lots of actions. And also, I'm amused by the cliches and physical inaccuracies that appear throughout the movie. But of course, not a movie I watch if I have a choice (it was the only thing going on TV atm).

Thanks for playing ' I really don't have a fucking clue ', you are tonights leading contestant and may yet go onto the bonus round where hopefully you get to remove yourself from the gene pool. :blink:

clocker
12-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Gee, I thought Al's response was far superior to your average sub-10 post invite vampire.
It had a beginning, a middle and an end...bonus points for excluding a rating scale.

I'm afraid however, that major points will be deducted for Bachmannesque inconsistencies betwixt the opening- "I like this film, lots of actions" (sic)- and the closing- "Not a movie I watch, if I have a choice".

IdolEyes787
12-10-2011, 02:02 PM
How strange that Al_X's TV only gets one station which sadly I can't use as an excuse for (attempting) to watch

Cross http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046245/

A very strong contender for worst thing that I have ever seen.Note I said thing not movie and I've seen fluffy bunnies die.

I presume that it was originally intended to be a more or less straight retelling of some comic book that I have never heard of but somewhere along the line someone involved realized just how terrible it was and decided to try and make it something else.Although what I have no idea as it isn't funny or exciting or intelligible just very ,very, very weird.

Other than that the whole thing looks incredibly cheap , the actors seem to be ad-libbing everything ( talking Brian Austin Green and not Christopher Guest here btw) and not just their lines but their actions as well.The scene when they enter "the warehouse" as a supposed well-trained commando unit is something that your average six year old could have directed more believably.
Anyway I have no idea how it all turned out as I could not force myself to watch much after that part.

My advice is if you have a choice between watching Cross and slowly peeling off one of your own fingernails ,do the wise thing and choose the latter.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM

A very strong contender for worst thing that I have ever seen.Note I said thing not movie and I've seen fluffy bunnies die.

You probably need to explain how and why you attempted to watch this movie. I gathered within a couple of minutes that this would be utter shit. Then, afterwards, I went to watch the trailer to see how one could easily be fooled into thinking it might be a cool movie, but then I remembered to unmute my speakers.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think you've been jaded enough if you're able to walk straight into this trap, Idol.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 03:08 PM
hi mjmaky how r u ? i am fucked.. i am trying to quit smoking .. my lips are about to fall off... how long should i continue smoking ? new year is not yet here ....

hi jdye, keep smoking until both your lips and fingertips fall off, then buy a smaller keyboard. Try to do it before new year.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
its like i am on standby.. what should i do when i am on standby

Pull the plug.

IdolEyes787
12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

You probably need to explain how and why you attempted to watch this movie. I gathered within a couple of minutes that this would be utter shit. Then, afterwards, I went to watch the trailer to see how one could easily be fooled into thinking it might be a cool movie, but then I remembered to unmute my speakers.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think you've been jaded enough if you're able to walk straight into this trap, Idol.

Sometimes bad can be good ,unfortunately sometimes bad can also be awful.

Anyone like to suggest a movie to me that centers around idealism and heroism ,is good(ish) , not a metaphor for anything and I haven't seen 3 times already I would be much obliged.

chalice
12-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Sometimes bad can be good ,unfortunately sometimes bad can also be awful.

Anyone like to suggest a movie to me that centers around idealism and heroism ,is good(ish) , not a metaphor for anything and I haven't seen 3 times already I would be much obliged.

The only things that spring immediately to mind are A Man For All Seasons and Into The Wild.

The former I know you've seen at least 17 times, but watch it anyway. It rawks. You know you want to. The latter, well, chances are you've seen that too.

What do you buy for the man who has everything.

Kn1ght
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
The thing.

8/10

it was good.

Artemis
12-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Gee, I thought Al's response was far superior to your average sub-10 post invite vampire.
It had a beginning, a middle and an end...bonus points for excluding a rating scale.

I'm afraid however, that major points will be deducted for Bachmannesque inconsistencies betwixt the opening- "I like this film, lots of actions" (sic)- and the closing- "Not a movie I watch, if I have a choice".

I was going to go with a less sarcastic post right up until the last bit.... posting that he watched the movie because there was nothing else on removed all credibility (along with most of the I.Q. points previously credited). If the best he could come with is I watched it because there was nothing else on, he really doesn't have a fucking clue, he is just clueless in a different way to nimrods like the one above with the moronic rating scale.
We really should start up a game show though, look at all the fabulous contestants, a sort of cross between the amazingly stupid race and Takeshi's castle would be great to see.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM

The only things that spring immediately to mind are A Man For All Seasons and Into The Wild.

I feel like my thought processes are forcing me to recommend Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003).

IdolEyes787
12-10-2011, 09:56 PM

The former I know you've seen at least 17 times, but watch it anyway. It rawks. You know you want to. The latter, well, chances are you've seen that too.

What do you buy for the man who has everything.

Good movies and appropriate this being the Holidays that the heroes both die horribly.
Not to mention one for faith and the other one after wandering around in the wilderness a bit.

I feel like my thought processes are forcing me to recommend Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003).

I probably should have mentioned that I apparently have strange ideas of what can be termed heroic.

You know like Wil Kane or Hawkeye or the woman who puts up with chalice.

mjmacky
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM

I probably should have mentioned that I apparently have strange ideas of what can be termed heroic.

You know like Wil Kane or Hawkeye or the woman who puts up with chalice.

You could treat the recommendation as if I never read "heroism" in your request, since I had already forgotten by the time I made the rec. Women that put out for midgets are either internally strong or a shell of existence from years of abuse, so I'm unsure about their status with heroine.

clocker
12-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Me too, so I'm recommending Transamerica.
Felicity Huffman is quite good in it.

IdolEyes787
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
You could treat the recommendation as if I never read "heroism" in your request, since I had already forgotten by the time I made the rec. Women that put out for midgets are either internally strong or a shell of existence from years of abuse, so I'm unsure about their status with heroine.I would tend to agree except in the case of Mrs Chalice Rodin created a statue of her.

Btw Rodin isn't some large prehistoric Japanese bird thing although he might have made a statue too for all I know.

Hero/tranny basically same thing.:idunno:

IdolEyes787
12-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Hero/tranny basically same thing.:idunno:

Artemis
12-11-2011, 08:22 AM
I see the board aids is getting worse... :naughty:

nitin
12-13-2011, 02:48 PM
RA.ONE - Ok Movie.

armandox
12-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Final Destination

andrewmicky
12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Immortal is the latest movie .

Artemis
12-14-2011, 11:07 PM

When I see posts like this, I keep on imagining the author as being currently in a trial for epilepsy, and being subjected to a rapid burst of light causing a photosensitive seizure part way through the poast. Even nitin managed to get both parts of the title question in while managing a four word sentence, which is impressive brevity, but no, here we are blessed yet again with half a thought.....

megabyteme
12-14-2011, 11:59 PM

When I see posts like this, I keep on imagining the author as being currently in a trial for epilepsy, and being subjected to a rapid burst of light causing a photosensitive seizure part way through the poast. Even nitin managed to get both parts of the title question in while managing a four word sentence, which is impressive brevity, but no, here we are blessed yet again with half a thought.....

From the punctuation, Artemis, I suspect it's an Idol dupe account. :ermm:

IdolEyes787
12-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Nice try but I would have pointed out that Immortals was also the name of a 1995 movie starring Julie Roberts brother who's career peaked early with Star 80.

clocker
12-15-2011, 04:36 AM
Contagion- cast of dozens.

It's easy to make fun of large ensemble films (think Valentine Day or the current New Years Eve) but Contagion has a very compelling story-timely and briskly told.
Although it's fun to pick out the actors (Holy shit! Is that Dmitri Martin?), who, save for a few, are really just making cameo appearances, the plot moves with the speed of, well...a virus.

It's depressing to realize that We Are The World means not just raising everybody's boat but that we can all drown together as well.
I can't imagine Contagion did real well at the box office- because it's very depressing- but I didn't begrudge the runtime and thought it was quite well made.

So, make of that what you will.

wiizard
12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
The Thing 2011 Ok by me:)

IdolEyes787
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Contagion- cast of dozens.

It's easy to make fun of large ensemble films (think Valentine Day or the current New Years Eve) but Contagion has a very compelling story-timely and briskly told.
Although it's fun to pick out the actors (Holy shit! Is that Dmitri Martin?), who, save for a few, are really just making cameo appearances, the plot moves with the speed of, well...a virus.

It's depressing to realize that We Are The World means not just raising everybody's boat but that we can all drown together as well.
I can't imagine Contagion did real well at the box office- because it's very depressing- but I didn't begrudge the runtime and thought it was quite well made.

So, make of that what you will.

On the other hand all the bacteria on your body rated it the feel-good movie of 2011.

clocker
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes, but they don't post here, so fuck 'em.

IdolEyes787
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, but they don't post here, so fuck 'em.

Good point.

I watched most of Sniper:Reloaded and it was a movie or at least that's what the TV guide led me to believe.
I would tell you about the plot but the film didn't have one.
Anyway in review it's sort of sad to see that Billy Zane has given up on trying to make anything out of his life since breaking up with Kelly Brook.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2011, 05:28 PM
The Ides of March- George Clooney, Ryan Gosling.

Ryan Gosling changed clothes after Drive but walked the same character into The Ides of March.
Seriously, the "extended closeup of a grim face- no dialogue" seems to be his only schtick lately.

Clooney plays a Democratic Governor vying for the White House.
He is a white Obama, gifted at rousing populist anger and promising change.
Naturally, he has feet of clay.
Gosling is second in command of the campaign and has to clean up the muddy footprints.

This is another Clooney vanity project (he also produced it) and it's just not as interesting as Good Night and Good Luck.
Everybody thinks politicians are sleazy empty shells these days, the machinations/inside deals of Ides aren't a surprise or particularly shocking- and no where near as luridly bizarre as the current Cain/Gingritch candidacies- so I'm left wondering what the point is.
Ides is basically a well produced visual edition of the Huffington Post.

Note to scriptwriters everywhere:
Simply panning in to Ryan Gosling's face and having him stare mute at the camera is NOT A PLOT, nor is it CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
In normal life you'd think someone who silently deadpanned like that was either a psychopath or retarded...possibly both.
If you can't find words for Gosling to say, hire Aaron Sorkin but I'll be damned if I'm going to do your work for you.
"Is that look supposed to be steely resolve or did he eat Taco Bell for lunch? Aaarrgh! I don't know! Ryan, you're SO enigmatic!"

Enigmatic my sweet ass.
Gosling has perfected the art of getting roles where he doesn't have to learn any lines.

Shows what you know. http://www.accesshollywood.com/ryan-gosling-named-coolest-person-of-the-year-by-time-magazines-joel-stein_article_58046

The Warrior's Way http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032751/

"A warrior-assassin is forced to hide in a small town in the American Badlands after refusing a mission".

God has cursed me with a love of a certain genre of movie were the majority of representatives of that genre are undeniably shite. Such is the case with TWW .The premise screams potential but the film is so badly executed(no pun intended) in it's rather pointless quest to be cool that the result is near impossible to watch the whole way through without hitting the fast forward button several times. Jang Dong Gun does a good job in the main role though embodying both the strength and weakness necessary for the part.

Anyway a plea to Hollywood,please stop trying to reproduce the success of 300.That was a flash in the pan where people were briefly willing to overlook the irritation of the art direction.Also one reason that Fellini remains unwatched by the majority of the World is because bizarre if often more repellent than interesting.

brightsid
12-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Again better late than never
Although you probably have seen my suggestions already, my teacher used to say that repeating is the mother of knowledge so nothing wrong in reminding them

The Bang Bang Club (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1173687) Photography is an old hobby for me but the last few years re-entered my "enjoy doing list" in the highest position. This movie is the story of 4 great "war" photographers Greg Marinovich, Kevin Carter, Ken Oosterbroek and Joao Silva in South Africa the years just before the ending of apartheid. I don't know if it is idealism and heroism or it is just adrenaline that drives men like to do a job like this but this movie tries to discover the line between both options. Unfortunately Ryan Phillippe is too baby face and good looking for the role although he tries his best. Other than that a good story, with good rhythm and some fine acting especially surprising from Taylor Kitsch as Kevin Carter. When I saw his award winning photo in my mid-20's I was shocked.

Although I don't believe there is something heroic with his death I still admire works like that. It's not a great movie but it's an at least worth watching one. If you are interesting in this kind of photography their books are more than recommended

Io non ho paura (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326977/) The story of a young boy who made a momentous discovery as he plays with his friend and his sister in the country side. A simple scenario, child actors, and still a very interesting movie IMHO. The only drawback I can think is that the ending was really predictable. Music and photography in the film are fantastic. I'm not sure that innocence of the childhood can be named heroism but in my eyes the boy was a true hero. Not recommended for viewers who are looking for breath taking action thriller

Artemis
12-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Nothing so highbrow or emotive for me of late, in fact the latest watch was a pure grindhouse ala early Tarantino Catch .44 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1886493/.The standout performance in this movie is Forest Whitaker, who switches characters smoothely and instantaneously and coming across as seriously creepy in the process.

Bruce Willis although top billed only has a bit part in the movie (along with a segue to an old song by him during the roadtrip). Although being a grindhouse movie the characters are all supposed to be reprehensible, they aren't developed well in the story and Bruce Willis just comes across as a strange old fart, slightly confused by events but trying to keep on top of them, but you can't really warm to the character or understand why the rest of the characters would A. want to work for him or B. just don't go fuck you and leave long before the events unfold.

The main characters of the movie are 3 'hard' girls, although in the movie one is a whiny bitch who just nags the shit out of Tes the lead character all the time, while the other one just blindly follows, the reasons why these two are in anyway incorporated are left to the imagination. Apart from the fact that they are half sisters that is about it for a background. Also why Tes became a drug dealer when her talents revolved around looking pretty at a sleazy strip club (waitress not dancer) and lifting wallets, just shows poor judgement on the part of the aforementioned Bruce Willis character, Mel.

Despite the character flaws, I enjoyed the movie however. Grindhouse was never meant to be highbrow, so someone looking for cinematic crafting is just being an idiot looking for it in a movie like this, and the atmosphere created in the movie with special mention of Forest Whitaker's character Ronny was great. I also liked the bumbling backwoods Sheriff finding yet more corpses all around the countryside, played by Brad Dourif.

So in summation although there are serious character flaws in this movie, it is the atmosphere after all which carries a movie like this, and the sense that there is something seriously wrong with these people is carried well throughout. Switch your brain off, sit back, relax, and let the violence wash over you, that's what you were there for in the first place.

IdolEyes787
12-23-2011, 07:26 PM
In my seemingly never-ending quest to destroy brain cells and shorten my life through increased blood pressure I inflicted Almighty Thor upon myself. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1792794/

At this point I want to formally apologize to any movie that I previously labelled as being the worst thing in history ,human or otherwise , since with Almighty Thor I think I have found a low mark that can't possibly be beaten.

Overlooking that the scenes don't even bother to follow one another in some coherent fashion or a movie, purportedly about Norse gods couldn't have been more poorly cast if the job was left to a blind man throwing darts at a list of student names from a Japanese middle-school or that nothing save the names are remotely in tune with mythology or the acting, if it can even be called that, makes whatever the worst acting that you've ever before seen look like Academy Award material by comparison (Richard Grieco apparently thinks that randomly changing THE volume of WORDS in a sentence is AKIN to emotING) I still can't forgive that they couldn't even do the shite CG to the minimal point of having Loki's giant dog thingies make contact with the ground when they "ran".
Oh and the hammer the focus point of the whole mess looked like something that I could turn out while high on LSD and using a soggy lasagne noodle as a tool.
I mentioned the Norse love interest speaks with a Spanish accent didn't I?

On some level, crap like Planet 9 or Troll or Battlefield Earth still has a tad of entertainment value. This unforgivable pile of garbage has absolutely none.

If Hell has a multiplex I am certain Almighty Thor is showing on every screen.

Ronhall
12-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Casino Royal was the last movie i have seen...i like this movie......

allstar323
12-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Fast Five, it is the best one in the series.

clocker
12-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Sherlock Holmes: RDJ in Drag.
I didn't like the first one much and the sequel even less.

In the "traditional" Holmsian canon, Jeremy Brett reigns supreme.
The Beeb's Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbatch, is a great reimagining of the character in modern times.
Guy Ritchie tries to shoehorn a decidedly "modern" man into Victorian England and I find the juxtaposition very jarring.

The movie's ending is a total copout and a shameless bid for a third installment.
Which they'll no doubt get and I'll no doubt hate.

The Great Circle of Life will roll on unperturbed.

brightsid
12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Hodejegerne (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1614989/) One of the books I've enjoyed this summer was Jo Nesbo's "Sorgenfri" (aka Nemesis) a fine example of modern Scandinavian Crime fiction. Although his novel was not as "noir" as my personal favorite Arne Dhal (if you are into this kind of novels his Misterioso is a must) the style is really close. Actually he is consider the new "star" in this style. Martin Scorsese is going to direct his best selling novel "Snowman" or at least that's the rumor. So I had great expectations for Headhunters (aka Hodejegerne). I can't say that I was totally disappointed but it wasn't the "noir" I was expecting (obviously being dummy enough not to read anything about it). Roger Brown is the Norwegian version of Tom Cruise, a short action hero with a beautiful tall wife and a tall beautiful rival ( Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones). If you are looking for an action crime thriller then it's not bad at all. Good case, fast rhythm photography, blood and mystery in a satisfactory level. Or you can wait for someone like Fincher to bring the hollywood version :D (actually I'm curious for his version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

Happy Holidays everyone.

minddull
12-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Last i have The Girl With Dragon Tatoo movie.awesome movie....

marklefe
12-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Cowboys vs Aliens, a bit disappointing.

marriedacrazy1
12-30-2011, 12:41 AM
hangover part 2. was not as good as 1, but funny still.

12vinod34
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Don 2:cool:

clocker
12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Cowboys vs Aliens, a bit disappointing.
First of all, I really love innovative, nuanced rating systems and want to help you nurture yours to it's fruitful conclusion.
So, just to clarify a smidge (see what I did there?), does a "bit" fall between a scosh and and a tad or is it just north of "jaw droppingly horrid"?

I'm not at all a wee bobbin (fuck me, did it again!) curious.

TheScrab
12-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Good Will Hunting, again. great movie :)

last new movie i watched was Hanna, i think. it was ok

Ronhall
01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Inception was the last movie i saw recently..and it was a great movie...

Funkin'
01-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Just got back from seeing Devil Inside. The last couple possession/exorcism movies were a lot better looking in the commercials than what they really were, but this one was really entertaining. There was a scene where a girl was bleeding profusely from her crotch. That made the entire movie for me. Mainly because it turned me on.

The only bad part was all the idiots around me hootin' an hollerin' and talking on their cell phones. This is was one of those times that I was thankful for not owning a gun because a few "homeboys" would had caught one to the temple. Actually I keep telling myself that I will no longer see horror movies as soon as they come out since that's when all the loud teenagers pack into the theater the most. But sometimes one comes out that looks so good that I forget about my last experience and go anyways.

12vinod34
01-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Twilight..........

honeyclarck
01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
i am watching "Avatar" now

IdolEyes787
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Just got back from seeing Devil Inside. The last couple possession/exorcism movies were a lot better looking in the commercials than what they really were, but this one was really entertaining. There was a scene where a girl was bleeding profusely from her crotch. That made the entire movie for me. Mainly because it turned me on.

The only bad part was all the idiots around me hootin' an hollerin' and talking on their cell phones. This is was one of those times that I was thankful for not owning a gun because a few "homeboys" would had caught one to the temple. Actually I keep telling myself that I will no longer see horror movies as soon as they come out since that's when all the loud teenagers pack into the theater the most. But sometimes one comes out that looks so good that I forget about my last experience and go anyways.

Studio bought the movie for a reported $1 million dollars which in Hollywood amounts to a week worth of cocaine and through fortuitous scheduling and a bunch of reasons that I can't understand the thing opens at #1 and brings home $34 million plus.
And they say the movie going audience is now largely made up of undiscerning teens.

Btw re the previous two posts no movement on my "fuck off" button suggestion I take it?

AlexJ1
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Twilight Breaking down was the last movie i have seen and it was awesome...

clocker
01-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Twilight Breaking down...
Unintentional surely, but brilliant nonetheless.

clocker
01-25-2012, 04:34 AM
OK, what happened to this thread?
Didn't it used to be a fuck-ton bigger than just 66 posts?

Anyway, to blithely carry on...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- Rooney Mara, Daniel Craig.
I've read the books and seen the Swedish original trilogy.
Loved Noomi Rapace.

This big budget American remake looks good.
Rooney Mara doesn't disgrace herself although I didn't feel she brought anything really new to the character and basically did a very good Rapace imitation.
Kind of like Tina Fey and the Palin creature.

Not sure how I'd react were I fresh to the material; I suspect, confusion.
Going solely on what appeared onscreen, a lot of the Vanger family plotline seemed incomplete and hurried.
So did the "second" ending, where Lisbeth makes bank.

I think I'm the wrong person to talk about this film, so disregard the above and go back to your lives.

IdolEyes787
01-25-2012, 02:18 PM

It was determined that history needed expunging to make room for more future brilliance like "last moovie i seeing is Chipwrecked.that Alvin hes crack me up".

This big budget American remake looks good.
Rooney Mara doesn't disgrace herself although I didn't feel she brought anything really new to the character and basically did a very good Rapace imitation.
Obviously you aren't the only person feeling that way as the movie got Oscar nods for cinematography,editing and Mara but missed out on anything else important.

mjmacky
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Kind of like Tina Fey and the Palin creature.

I don't think this analogy is working, couldn't all agree that Fey's Palin was much more entertaining than watching the agony of the real Palin? Sarah that is, not Michael.

Happened to the "Omega post man wins internets" thread. These are all just spam threads dry humping the server I guess.

henrik78
01-26-2012, 06:17 AM
I wached Contagion :)

clocker
01-26-2012, 12:52 PM
I wached Contagion :)
For this I loose hundreds of lovingly crafted posts.
Thanks a lot, asshole.

IdolEyes787
01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Are you implying that henrik's wasn't equally well thought out?

clocker
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Nothing personal towards henrik.
I was just raging against the machine and not going gently into that good night.
Making a stand, digging deep, winning for the Gipper.

As one does.

AlexJ1
01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I recently watched the movie Seraphim Falls with Pierce Brosnan, and Liam Neeson.

IdolEyes787
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
What is the latest movie you watched and what did you think of it?

Being as lazy as I am I regret the effort on my part that it took to amend the title of this thread.
Btw if I actually wished to listen to people talking but really saying nothing I would follow politics.

Artemis
01-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Nothing personal towards henrik.
I was just raging against the machine and not going gently into that good night.
Making a stand, digging deep, winning for the Gipper.

As one does.

It is not you that has gone gently into that good night, just your lovingly crafted posts.......

chalice
01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I've been binging on Bukowski of late. I do enjoy a soupcon of squalor to remind me I'm not so badly off, comparatively speaking. He's fascinating in a chronically self-destructive, unapologetic, unfeigned kinda way. There was a decent documentary film profiling him released in 2003 called Bukowski: Born Into This http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342150/. This got me thinking about film adaptations of his work and how successful or faithful they are to the source material, so off I toddled and misappropriated whatever I could muster. I'll work chronologically.

Tales Of Ordinary Madness (1981) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086410/ Marco Ferelli.

This is strange. It's sorta like a Spaghetti Western, deeply European in style yet set in LA with the protagonist/antagonist shuffling into a series of sexual misadventures and heavy drinking. Ben Gazzara (who?) while bearing a resemblance and turning in a fine performance is just too sleazy and that's saying something. Very uncomfortable to watch and utterly depressing without the feeling of 'fuck it' Bukowski embodies. This is a portrayal of the older Bukowski and it just doesn't add up. If anything, he had mellowed by that stage. He had to.

Genital self-mutilation and perversity figure largely and all I wanted to do afterwards was self-harm, so it was a pretty successful European film in that regard.

Barfly (1987) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092618/ Barbet Schroeder (I wonder if anyone ever commented on the irony of the director's forename.)

Bukowski wrote the screenplay after much cajoling, discomfort and bribery, not to mention a large degree of contempt for the medium. He was unhappy at the finished product. He had major reservations as regards casting. Mickey Rourke plays Henry Chinaski, Bukowski's 'fictional' conduit and falls somewhat short in that in 1987 Rourke was far too handsome a fellow to be playing Bukowski by any stretch. Bukowski's essential character developed out of ugliness of body and spirit. He had severe acne problems throughout his life and poor early treatment by unreliable and often sadistic medical practitioners which left him pretty scarred up. Rourke plays an impressive drunk, but he's much too manic and overplayed to portray Bukowski's laconic, sneeringly resentful tone.

Apparently, Sean Penn had offered to play the role for a dollar with the proviso being that Dennis Hopper had to direct. This fell through and Rourke got the job. One wonders if this was the onset of Rourke's subsequent fall from grace. Perhaps he was enamoured with the idea of Bukowski and sought to push things to the extreme as the author tended to do. I don't know. He probably would've done it anyway. The film stood on its own, objectively, is a decent movie, with two strong central performances from Rourke and Fay Dunaway. Problem is, Dunaway is not manic enough. I'd still fuck her, and from what I've read from Bukowski, his early sexual endeavours are nothing to desire. Quite the opposite. She's too classy a broad to play the degenerate alcoholic whore Bukowski describes.

Having said all that, I reckon Rourke would make a fair breast of an older Bukowski now, what with him being totally mangled and all.

Factotum (2005) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417658/ Bent Hamer (I wonder if anyone ever commented on the irony of the director's forename.)

This, to my mind is the most successful of the tryptic. Matt Dillon has Bukowski down straight. His mannerisms, gait, delivery are spot on. He's likable, downtrodden, increasingly uglier and just the right side of tragic to swing it. Even the acne scars (though not quite enough) make an appearance.

I'd write more about it, but nobody's gonna read this anyway.

IdolEyes787
01-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I

Ben Gazzara (who?) while bearing a resemblance and turning in a fine performance is just too sleazy and that's saying something.

Gazzara has made a career out of playing sleazy characters.I would have thought that he's be instantly recognizable having been in dozens of movies and TV shows over 50+ years in the business.Anyway if you still have any desire to revel in the debauchery and want to see Gazzara at his best then consider The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074749/). Only in 70's would a movie like this ever come out of Hollywood.
I've shown this movie to baffled girlfriends and eye-rolling friends who've left the room after twenty minutes. The picture was essentially unreleased upon its completion in 1976, and is now available on video only because of the retrospectives of Cassavetes' work that followed his death. The movie is considered bewildering even by many Cassavetes champions, but for me it ranks among the greatest American movies. As Cosmo Vitelli, the strip-joint owner who's a clown who thinks he's a king, the sublimely reptilian Ben Gazzara leans into an offstage mike and tells the audience, "And if you have any complaints--any complaints at all--we'll throw you right out on your ass." Like Jake LaMotta, or Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant, Cosmo is a walking aria of male self-destruction. He finally pays off the shylocks he's in hock to for his place--the Crazy Horse West--and celebrates with a gambling spree that puts him right back where he started. To pay his debts, Cosmo agrees to murder a Chinese kingpin the L.A. mob has marked for death--but that only gives the barest indication of the strange, ecstatic poetry of Cassavetes' greatest and farthest-out-on-a-limb movie. The movie is a strangely crumpled form of film noir; a classic Cassavetes character portrait, with more than the usual romanticism and self-disgust; a super-subliminal essay on Vietnam and Watergate; and an example of a one-of-a-kind lyricism that's closer to 2001 than a gangster picture. With its odd rhythms, Warholish color and substance-altered performances, it's one of the rare movies for which there exists no point of comparison.

chalice
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Gazzara has made a career out of playing sleazy characters.I would have thought that he's be instantly recognizable having been in dozens of movies and TV shows over 50+ years in the business.Anyway if you still have any desire to revel in the debauchery and want to see Gazzara at his best then consider The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074749/). Only in 70's would a movie like this ever come out of Hollywood.
I've shown this movie to baffled girlfriends and eye-rolling friends who've left the room after twenty minutes. The picture was essentially unreleased upon its completion in 1976, and is now available on video only because of the retrospectives of Cassavetes' work that followed his death. The movie is considered bewildering even by many Cassavetes champions, but for me it ranks among the greatest American movies. As Cosmo Vitelli, the strip-joint owner who's a clown who thinks he's a king, the sublimely reptilian Ben Gazzara leans into an offstage mike and tells the audience, "And if you have any complaints--any complaints at all--we'll throw you right out on your ass." Like Jake LaMotta, or Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant, Cosmo is a walking aria of male self-destruction. He finally pays off the shylocks he's in hock to for his place--the Crazy Horse West--and celebrates with a gambling spree that puts him right back where he started. To pay his debts, Cosmo agrees to murder a Chinese kingpin the L.A. mob has marked for death--but that only gives the barest indication of the strange, ecstatic poetry of Cassavetes' greatest and farthest-out-on-a-limb movie. The movie is a strangely crumpled form of film noir; a classic Cassavetes character portrait, with more than the usual romanticism and self-disgust; a super-subliminal essay on Vietnam and Watergate; and an example of a one-of-a-kind lyricism that's closer to 2001 than a gangster picture. With its odd rhythms, Warholish color and substance-altered performances, it's one of the rare movies for which there exists no point of comparison.

Thank you. I will. Though I'll prolly hate it.

IdolEyes787
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't have wasted my time suggesting it otherwise.

chalice
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Actually, fuck all that, you cunt.

I've dug deep and all I can unearth is a 50 odd gig download of Cassavetes' filmography which includes said pulp.

Fuck that. I hope you die.

IdolEyes787
01-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Actually, fuck all that, you cunt.

I've dug deep and all I can unearth is a 50 odd gig download of Cassavetes' filmography which includes said pulp.

Fuck that. I hope you die.

Could you please be a little more specific?Do you mean like just this instant in excruciating pain or decades from now ,peacefully in my sleep after a long and happy life?
The only reason I ask is so I will know whether to be hurt or not.

Btw sucks to be you right about now.

chalice
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
It always sucks to be me. Sucks to be you worse, though.

henryadam
02-02-2012, 06:46 AM
recently i saw "Kungfu Panda" and i think its a best hollywood movie .

IdolEyes787
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
recently i saw "Kungfu Panda" and i think its a best hollywood movie .
Yes but then you're just a cunt who's only here because he has something to promote.

AlexJ1
02-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Perfume was the last movie i saw last night and it was really a bad movie...i didn't like it...

Human_Being
02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I watched Girl with the dragon tattoo and to be honest i had to watch it twice. I turned it of the first time because i really didnt get where the film was going and the bitch started to give me a hardon especially when she just jumps on danny craig, but other then that i didnt real;ly go much on it. Sok if u gotta bag of weed and shit to do and need a wank.

brightsid
02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I've watched the Fincher's version of Girl with the dragon tattoo and it was worse than expected. I've liked the original (I can't find my post for that film) although I watched it after reading the book and even the first one was incomplete in describing the frighten girls of the family and Lisbeth. Well Fincher missed that part and transformed Lisbeth to Statham beating everyone around. I was expecting a different approach. Mara was good but she wasn't Lisbeth, Craig was funny he tried but he is too macho for the role.

On the contrary I've like Bullhead (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821593/) . Jacky is a Belgian farmer around 30 totally addicted to hormones exactly like the bulls and cows in the cattle farm he'd spent his whole life. The movie is about his journey from young kid falling in love with the wrong girl, to the madness of a terrible "accident", why he is the man he is, his relation with drug mafia, how he is looking for revenge. As I was watching his story a good crime drama, I understood that it was actually a love story of a man who went to hell for the girl and still he just loves her purely. And it's about friendship and how his closest friend in childhood sacrificed one of the most important things just because he couldn't help his friend. I'm not sure that someone who haven't lived in the area can understand the way this movie is also making fun of the stereotypes for the people of Wallonia and Flanders. But even if you miss that part of the plot or you don't like the wet environment of the cattle farm the performance of Matthias Schoenaerts as Jacky is more than a good reason to watch this movie.

arg57
02-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Underworld: Awakening is the latest movie which I'd seen.

Awakening is a 3D action-horror film. After sitting out on 2009's Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Kate Beckinsale returns as werewolf hunter Selene in Underworld: Awakening, the fourth of the film series. Revolves around a centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires and their one-time werewolf slaves, the Lycans. After being held in a coma-like state for fifteen years, vampire Selene (Kate Beckinsale) learns that she has a fourteen-year-old vampire/Lycan hybrid daughter, Eve, and when she finds her, they must stop BioCom from creating super Lycans that will kill them all.

This film begins with vampiress Selene waking up after being in a cryogenically frozen state for 12 years..The story revolves around when human forces discover the existence of the Vampire and Lycan clans, a war to eradicate both species commences. The vampire warrioress Selene leads the battle against humankind.

A sloppy, messy, frankly dumb action/horror hybrid, but at least it moves quickly and delivers the goods.Swedish directorial partners Mans Marlind and Bjorn Stein, who co-scripted and produced have pretty much two thoughts in their heads regarding Underworld: Awakening: that Beckinsale looks good in a skin-tight suit and flowing black duster, particularly when she lands in a casual crouch after jumping from a great height, and that CGI werewolves roaring, leaping, and getting shot never gets old. But given the film’s barely pro forma plot and generic action, it obsolesces surprisingly quickly.

killuminati96
02-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Sanctum

This had more hype than it should of gotten. It's not a bad movie but not great either. I was actually predicting things before they happened. It's too formulaic.

CyberCitizen
02-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Cronicle, Its Quite Good, But I Wont Say To Much, Go See It / Download It.

mjmacky
02-07-2012, 01:21 AM

Do we really need to explore every genre of film with the found footage model?

IdolEyes787
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Sort of negates the premise of the whole thread then.
Maybe you should start another one entitled "Stuff I like yet refuse to talk about."

CyberCitizen
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
The Trailer Pretty Much Explains The Movie, Not Sure What Else I Can Really Give You Without Wreaking The Story. Just Advising Its A Good Movie To See.

IdolEyes787
02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
The Trailer Pretty Much Explains The Movie, Not Sure What Else I Can Really Give You Without Wreaking The Story. Just Advising Its A Good Movie To See.
Your guidance councilor called and he wanted me to tell you that he doesn't see movie critic as a viable job option.:mellow:

The Trailer Pretty Much Explains The Movie.

manker
02-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Underworld: Awakening is the latest movie which I'd seen.

Awakening is a 3D action-horror film. After sitting out on 2009's Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Kate Beckinsale returns as werewolf hunter Selene in Underworld: Awakening, the fourth of the film series. Revolves around a centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires and their one-time werewolf slaves, the Lycans. After being held in a coma-like state for fifteen years, vampire Selene (Kate Beckinsale) learns that she has a fourteen-year-old vampire/Lycan hybrid daughter, Eve, and when she finds her, they must stop BioCom from creating super Lycans that will kill them all.

This film begins with vampiress Selene waking up after being in a cryogenically frozen state for 12 years..The story revolves around when human forces discover the existence of the Vampire and Lycan clans, a war to eradicate both species commences. The vampire warrioress Selene leads the battle against humankind.

A sloppy, messy, frankly dumb action/horror hybrid, but at least it moves quickly and delivers the goods.Swedish directorial partners Mans Marlind and Bjorn Stein, who co-scripted and produced have pretty much two thoughts in their heads regarding Underworld: Awakening: that Beckinsale looks good in a skin-tight suit and flowing black duster, particularly when she lands in a casual crouch after jumping from a great height, and that CGI werewolves roaring, leaping, and getting shot never gets old. But given the film’s barely pro forma plot and generic action, it obsolesces surprisingly quickly.
This sounds awesome despite your well written decrial.
I've never heard of this franchise which I think is strange given the subject matter. I like vampire stuff.
I need to be more like Idol.

Wonder if a 3D version is on the internets yet.

CyberCitizen
02-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Your guidance councilor called and he wanted me to tell you that he doesn't see movie critic as a viable job option.:mellow:

The Trailer Pretty Much Explains The Movie.

Ok It Ends With One Family Member Having To Kill The Other. Way To Wreak The Movie...

CyberCitizen
02-08-2012, 02:40 AM
This sounds awesome despite your well written decrial. I've never heard of this franchise which I think is strange given the subject matter. I like vampire stuff. I need to be more like Idol. Wonder if a 3D version is on the internets yet.

Hi Manker,

How have you not heard of this movie franchise. I liked the first one alot, the one where Selene wasn't in it was pretty lame, but it tried to create the back story that most movies seem to be doing now days with their sequels or are the prequels?

I am wanting to see this, but I hope they having cheezed up the movie just for the 3D, alot of movies have been doing that, basically making bullets & stuff wizz past your head. They make the movie on normal screens look ridiculous. This is where I liked Avatar in the sence that it was in 3D & showed the space between people & such, but not the in your face 3D that most movies are doing.

Eg Stuff Like This With The Candy Cane.

manker
02-08-2012, 10:36 AM
This sounds awesome despite your well written decrial. I've never heard of this franchise which I think is strange given the subject matter. I like vampire stuff. I need to be more like Idol. Wonder if a 3D version is on the internets yet.

Hi Manker,

How have you not heard of this movie franchise. I liked the first one alot, the one where Selene wasn't in it was pretty lame, but it tried to create the back story that most movies seem to be doing now days with their sequels or are the prequels?

I am wanting to see this, but I hope they having cheezed up the movie just for the 3D, alot of movies have been doing that, basically making bullets & stuff wizz past your head. They make the movie on normal screens look ridiculous. This is where I liked Avatar in the sence that it was in 3D & showed the space between people & such, but not the in your face 3D that most movies are doing.

Eg Stuff Like This With The Candy Cane.
99226Hai, dewd.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's as if other aspects of a movie don't have to be structured so well because of the fantastic 3D effects. Having said that, this has been the case with stunts and action movies since time immemorial.

I probably hadn't heard of the franchise because I can't honestly remember the last time I saw a trailer. I find downloading much less of a chore than going to the cinema and films aren't my preferred medium for entertainment anyhow.

marklefe
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Johnny English Reborn. Given I had so little expectations going into the film, it actually turned out a lot better than I thought. Enjoyed it a lot actually.

IdolEyes787
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Handsome,charming rogue with questionable grammatical skills isn't as big a party as one would like to believe.

Or whatever I just said but with more sense added.

manker
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Handsome,charming rogue with questionable grammatical skills isn't as big a party as one would like to believe.

Or whatever I just said but with more sense added.
Handsome too :eyebrows:

This just adds to the picture in my mind's eye of you as a birthright member of the idle rich, perched at the edge of a chamois leather seat, fingers poised with intent above an ergonomic and biologically designed bespoke Hello Kitty keyboard with peptide add-ons, itching to comment upon the squareness of Matt Damon's jaw and its implications regarding the validity of the Bourne franchise.

mjmacky
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
This just adds to the picture in my mind's eye of you as a birthright member of the idle rich

Keep in mind that it'd still be Canadian rich, so that's like a quarter millionaire or something.

IdolEyes787
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
itching to comment upon the squareness of Matt Damon's jaw and its implications regarding the validity of the Bourne franchise

I would but I just re-watched Good Will Hunting and am currently struggling with the concept that it could be possible for both Ben Affleck and Robin Williams to star in the same movie and not have it suck.

This just adds to the picture in my mind's eye of you as a birthright member of the idle rich

Keep in mind that it'd still be Canadian rich, so that's like a quarter millionaire or something.

On February 8, 2012, 1.00 Canadian Dollar(s) = 1.00 U.S. dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 1.0030 (using nominal rate). The worst part about this is that fewer Americans are now motivated to come to Canada and embarrass themselves for our entertainment.

Snee
02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I re-watched Pitch Black, last night.

Been working my way through a lot of old sci-fi movies again, lately.

It's basically the one movie starring Vin Diesel I know of that isn't shit.

It's a sci-fi movie in the same vein as alien.

Spaceship crashes, survivors are stranded on desert planet that turns out to have some really nasty inhabitants, and thus hilarity ensues as the survivors try to get past the native fauna and off the planet.

Rhada Michell never looked better, the environments feel believable and while just as uncomplicated a story as described above, that also works. Basically a low budget sci-fi horror done really well.

The sequel(s, if you count the anime) sucked, though. But another one is in the works and hopefully they'll do it right again, assuming they ever finish it.

mjmacky
02-09-2012, 01:59 AM
On February 8, 2012, 1.00 Canadian Dollar(s) = 1.00 U.S. dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 1.0030 (using nominal rate). The worst part about this is that fewer Americans are now motivated to come to Canada and embarrass themselves for our entertainment.

I would have made it clear if it was an exchange rate joke. Toronto still emptied much of my bank account while I was there. They are so welcoming, I thought they were prepared to valet my car at the border, and all without expecting a tip.

Garrison Keillor: The Man on the Radio in the Red Shoes

I gave it a view through based on my enjoyment of A Prairie Home Companion, but even if you're a fan, this documentary isn't really worth your time. They play back a little bit from their shows, but the rest of it seems to focus heavily on Garrison's dual fixation on NY and simplicity. I already kind of knew what he looked like, but while watching him in this, I couldn't help but see that a fat Drew Carey had a child with Michael Moore, who then aged 50 years and lost some of the baby weight.

I think about the only thing I took away was a quote like "an English major prepares you for impersonating authority", which he said after dictating the musical direction to the musical director of their program. Anyways, I just happened to catch it on Hulu last week, but it wasn't really rewarding. Just venting I guess.

IdolEyes787
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
.......itching to comment upon the squareness of Matt Damon's jaw and its implications regarding the validity of the Bourne franchise.

Damon's Bourne like Cruise's Ethan Hunt seems to condemned to the same redundancy bin, both apparently to be superseded by Jeremy Renner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPpc4pk6RE

Now all Renner has to do is talk the Broccolis into casting him as Bond and he will have the spy genre entirely to himself. :mellow:

Snee
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Re-watched the Matrix trilogy.

No point in summarizing any of that. If you missed them you were probably making your man a sandwich or something and have more important things to do now, like shop for shoes or make another sandwich.

The first movie, the Matrix is pretty good. While I wasn't as distracted by all the neat environs and innovative action-scenes as the first time around, and thus noticed how poor some of the acting was, it's still a good story.

The other two, Matrix: Reloaded and Matrix: Revolutions, get worse, and the bits where characters are replaced with CGI-doubles, which gets more and more common as the story rolls along, are downright bad.

That said, The Animatrix, a compilation of short animated features in the Matrix-universe, which I also watched, is better than both sequels, and worth a watch for those who'd like the see more of the story.

BaselineX
02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Re-watched The Painted Veil, powerful romance with excellent cinematography.

john4475
02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Watched The Grey, it was good,but not what i was expecting from the trailer

Artemis
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
My latest watch has been In Time, now I know this movie has been panned by the critics and there is some wooden acting ( Justin Timberlake in particular was trying to make his own forest) but this is a clever reimagining of the Robin Hood storyline.

It has been said that Sci-Fi reflects the time that it was created in, in terms of socio-political comment, and In Time is an interesting counterpoint to the current 1percent debate, while at the same time putting a spin on the concept of wealth.

In this imagined future too nobody wins, the wealthy are bored by their existence, and the fact that they have to constantly be careful, and must at all times be safe, while the poor, who are literally living day to day, always feel that they do not have enough time.

The story revolves around Will Salas a young man from the ghetto in a future where time is the currency, as in time on your life clock, when this reaches zero you're dead, you grow to 25 then you get an extra year when the clock starts. In this world everything costs time, a drink of coffee, a bus ride, rent, all cost units of time off your life clock, while working means you are paid time, so everyone works or finds a way to gain more time and in the ghetto everyone is existing day to day. The few rich are immortal or nearly so from all the years they have, but of course this is at the expense of the poor people 'timing out'.
Once Will Salas discovers the essential truth, that the rich gain wealth from the death of others, and that noone has to die, he begins a fight to overthrow the system by giving back time to those who need it and in this the story is the quintessential Robin Hood storyline, in that not only does he rob from the rich to give to the poor, but he is also trying to bring down a corrupt system.

For the interesting social comment and the retelling of Robin Hood, this movie is worth a look, I enjoyed it, while at the same time having to forgive it's very matrix like acting, a good yarn even if parts of it were crappily done.

ziggyjuarez
02-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Drawn Together - The Movie
Kind of like south park but with less language and more nudity.A big difference addressed in the cartoon, They don't try to bullshit some meaning at the end Of the show like SP.For this they get cancelled.In reality and in the toon.I would only suggest this to drawn together fans.Even said, This is not as good as the television show.

clocker
02-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Take Shelter- Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

A blue collar Ohio husband (with a family history of mental illness) begins to experience apocalyptic visions and struggles to protect his family...but from the coming horrors or from himself?

Take Shelter is the best movie I've seen since Rise of the Apes.
Not at all the same kind of thing mind you, but equally impressive.
Shannon and Chastain are great, the story engrossing.

You should see it.

IdolEyes787
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I misread the title and got all excited there for a moment when I though it might be a Fast and Furious spinoff.

Btw I'm kidding I love The Rolling Stones

Artemis
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I misread the title and got all excited there for a moment when I though it might be a Fast and Furious spinoff.

Btw I'm kidding I love The Rolling Stones

You haven't been taking prose lessons recently at the mjmacky school of obfuscation at all? :blink:

IdolEyes787
02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I would challenge you to a fight but I'm afraid the result would end up looking like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqFjsmPpUU

Btw little known fact but they had to remove all wet paper bags from the vicinity before they were able to complete that scene.

SBI-boy
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
The thing

and it's..............

another movie

Artemis
02-17-2012, 03:54 AM
I would challenge you to a fight but I'm afraid the result would end up looking like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqFjsmPpUU

Btw little known fact but they had to remove all wet paper bags from the vicinity before they were able to complete that scene.

I dunno, I always saw myself as the hero of a fightscene similar to this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0XXrtJ82VQ

Unfortunately though, I'm all out of doggy bags. :idunno:

mjmacky
02-17-2012, 05:48 AM

Who would be the cop and who would be the rapist between you and Artemis? You should have saved this one for me, as an indirect way of calling me a violent mulleted rapist.

Artemis
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Who would be the cop and who would be the rapist between you and Artemis? You should have saved this one for me, as an indirect way of calling me a violent mulleted rapist.

I think it's his way of calling me a violent mulleted rapist. :blink:

IdolEyes787
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
You're both wrong and clearly over-think too much which is no doubt why one of you wastes a lot of time watching shit and deluding himself that it's good.
That was merely my way of bringing bad awesome 90's cinema to the masses with an added bonus of wasting a bit more of my life.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMKN1tYknE

Btw the difference between this and something like A Serbian Film is clearly art was involved here.

mjmacky
02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
You're both wrong and clearly over-think too much which is no doubt why one of you wastes a lot of time watching shit and deluding himself that it's good.
That was merely my way of bringing bad awesome 90's cinema to the masses with an added bonus of wasting a bit more of my life.:)

The one problem I have with that fight is the last attack, he throws his opponent away from him, which would far lessen the impact of the face punch. Everything else was fine, including the excellent dub work.

Additionally, I think Idol is asking me to start a new campaign to get him to watch something.

islandtime
02-18-2012, 12:51 AM
The Help

Very good movie!

BaselineX
02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Hugo - wasn't very impressed to be honest.

john4475
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
The Woman In Black 2012, Radcliff was ok and it was a good film, but the original is better

arg57
03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Finally saw Superfly (on the big screen, no less). Such an awesome movie. The soundtrack, the characters, the action, everything was so cool. Definitely worth checking out. As much as it hurts to say it, I think I like it better than Shaft. Speaking of which, that's another worthwhile film to see.

ziggyjuarez
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Big mamas house - I know I'm late...I liked it.

kjac3585
03-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Moneyball, 7/10 ... pretty good

IdolEyes787
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Big mamas house - I know I'm late...I liked it.

Never too late for a classic.:mellow:That and Little Man are clearly the best two cinematic examples of a concerted attempt to set back the Civil Right's Movement several decades.
Also did you even bother to read the thread title?If you did I don't see how you could possibly think you could somehow be "late".

ziggyjuarez
03-03-2012, 07:56 AM
:lol:
Latest as in the last movies I saw or as in newest film out to date?

mjmacky
03-03-2012, 09:57 AM
:lol:
Latest as in the last movies I saw or as in newest film out to date?

"Latest movie you watched", the answer to your question is in the bread pudding.

IdolEyes787
03-03-2012, 12:20 PM
If I changed the title to read "the last film you watched" I bet you'd be wondering if you needed to wait until you were on your deathbed to post.

clocker
03-03-2012, 02:20 PM
"T'was a gentle and comfortable passing.
The deceased was surrounded by family and close friends as Tyler Perry ushered him into the Great Beyond.
Popcorn and Twizzlers served as the sacrament, a moment of silence observed before yelling at the screen resumed and the great circle of life rolled on."

Cause that's how we do.

ziggyjuarez
03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
So what is it?

IdolEyes787
03-03-2012, 04:31 PM
So what is it?

I suggest you take it any way you like and be utterly happy with your derision decision.
Besides like seriously what the fuck do I know?

ziggyjuarez
03-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Are u going to complain again?

IdolEyes787
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Probably only if insist on continuing to substitute "u" for "you" like you are some sort of mental retard.

megabyteme
03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Probably only if insist on continuing to substitute "u" for "you" like you are some sort of mental retard.

Zig has been through a lot, and has a great economy of words. And, in case you haven't noticed, the letters he saves off of some words, he adds to others. It all balances out.

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2012, 05:07 AM
What he said:01: anyway my data plan isn't too good as of now...

mjmacky
03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Weight of Chains (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1789083/)

Do you remember Yugoslavia, that war torn former communist state somewhere in Eastern Europe? Yeah, what was that all about again?

So I had a lot of preconceptions going into this film, several of them have shifted dramatically as a result. I used to attribute the civil war and political turmoil to the death of Tito and rise of corrupt/inept political figures. This documentary makes a heavily researched effort to construct a picture detailing many of the external forces acting on Jugoslavija at the time, and when collectively portrayed, makes quite a convincing argument that Western democracies had played just as big a role in creating this dark period of Slavic national history as the denizens themselves.

It's my first exposure to Boris Malagurski, currently a Canadian. There's a plethora of dialogue to follow (something I personally enjoy), but as far as the optical sensory goes, he switches between old clip footage and recent interviews, never appearing in the documentary himself (that I'm aware). I do recall that he was consistently sarcastic in his presentation of events throughout, as he narrated the entire thing. There are quite a few bits from Serbian filmography, their style of humor included.

Maybe you don't care about Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia or any of the territories of the former Yugoslavia, but what could capture your interest is the manner in which the U.S., Germany, U.K., NATO, IMF, etc. practice their predatory capitalist agendas. However, if the story of Yugoslavia is of any interest to you, it does cover the historical background from the Ottoman occupation to the cessation of Montenegro.

This movie seems to not be able to find its way to common consumer outlets, so it's basically something you would need to either pirate from Demonoid or purchase directly from their website. Definitely worth a watch though, assuming the audience that I'm preaching to doesn't include ignorant nitwits.

Funkin'
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
The Taqwacores

It's pretty much just about a bunch of punk rock Muslims, and a couple straight-edge ones, all living in the same house. The plot really doesn't go anywhere, it's basically just about their antics inside the house. But still, it was different and I really enjoyed it.

musicool
03-05-2012, 10:23 AM
inception. one of the best movies i've ever seen

IdolEyes787
03-05-2012, 12:29 PM
The Taqwacores

It's pretty much just about a bunch of punk rock Muslims, and a couple straight-edge ones, all living in the same house. The plot really doesn't go anywhere, it's basically just about their antics inside the house. But still, it was different and I really enjoyed it.
I love you.

No seriously,I love you.

darkman2081
03-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Hangover 1, and I loved it

mjmacky
03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
The Taqwacores

That sounds like a reality TV show.

Funkin'
03-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Yeah, it kind of almost is. Except unlike most reality tv shows I found this one to be pretty good.

mjmacky
03-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Young Adult (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625346/)

So take one of your standard "coming home" flicks, switch out the old buddy with a high school "loser" with his own serious baggage, make the main character dejected and delusional, base all humor around her apparent psychosis, give her a serious drinking problem, and highlight just how mundane small town America is (without injecting any false charm), and I loved this movie. It makes all of those other "coming home" flicks feel so damn trite (or if you're like me, intensifies existing preconceptions).

Cannot watch another coming home romcom again without shitting all over it. Grosse Pointe Blank being the exception since it borders parody (in addition to Cusack stereotype character and Aykroyd).

megabyteme
03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Young Adult (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625346/)

So take one of your standard "coming home" flicks, switch out the old buddy with a high school "loser" with his own serious baggage, make the main character dejected and delusional, base all humor around her apparent psychosis, give her a serious drinking problem, and highlight just how mundane small town America is (without injecting any false charm), and I loved this movie. It makes all of those other "coming home" flicks feel so damn trite (or if you're like me, intensifies existing preconceptions).

Cannot watch another coming home romcom again without shitting all over it. Grosse Pointe Blank being the exception since it borders parody (in addition to Cusack stereotype character and Aykroyd).

I have to agree with you on both films, Macky. Gotta love the parts that happen in YA that couldn't happen in the other films of the genre. :)

mjmacky
03-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Gotta love the parts that happen in YA that couldn't happen in the other films of the genre. :)

And I love that went with crazy without going full single white female crazy.

megabyteme
03-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Gotta love the parts that happen in YA that couldn't happen in the other films of the genre. :)

Score one for semi-functioning penises everywhere... :)

mjmacky
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Score one for semi-functioning penises everywhere... :)

I'm sure he got off rather quickly.

Ryoga
03-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Just watched The Devil's Double. It was good for what it was, but I felt that it really tried to hard to be an action film, but just didn't have enough material. Also, I heard it took a few liberties in some of the more crazier scenes. I'd recommend it though.

zevlas
03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
footloose........pathetic!!!!!! bad acting, bad story, ok screenplay

IdolEyes787
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
footloose....... bad story, ok screenplay

I would tell you that makes little sense but from your sudden influx of posts I have a feeling contributing something worthwhile to the movie section isn't high on your list of priorities here.

Update:I seem to be psychic .

TT Buffered very old account + 1 invite on the account

HDChina old buffered account + mail

SCC old donor acc

looking for offers

Please now do fuck off.

IdolEyes787
03-26-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't know if anyone's heard of it but I just watched this little known and relatively un-hyped movie called The Hunger Games.
I think I have been forever put off to teen star cross lover triangle thingies by Twilight so that part of the movie I could have definitely done without but Jennifer Lawrence is utterly convincing as Katniss Everdeen and basically single-handedly lifts the whole dopey mess to another level entirely.
I say mess even though it isn't because I thought the movie stumbles badly right near the end resolving far too quickly and conveniently.
Other than that I was surprised that Donald Sutherland having lost some of his lean and hungry look and chubbied up a bit was a good fit for President Snow.

All and all not a bad film ,evoking some real emotion and even after losing much of the relational subtext of the novel , definitely worth a watch.

Snee
03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
John Carter

What it isn't: A grand epos that will last for millenia.

What it is: A fairly enjoyable Narnia meets Star Wars type of deal.

The effects were decent, and while the script wasn't amazing, nor was it terrible. Basically it's a light fantasy/sci-fi adventure with visuals that won't make your eyes bleed. Also, there are no annoying children or a Jar-Jar Binks.

My previous experience of the story mostly involves old reprints of the John Carter: Warlord of Mars marvel comics from the seventies I read at my grandmother's house as a child, and a brief cameo of Carter's in LOEG, alongside Gullivar Jones. And for what it's worth, it lives up to what the comics promised. The five-year-old me who was flipping through the pages for the first time would have been ecstatic if he'd seen the movie, the current me still enjoyed it, and felt a bit nostalgic.

I'm giving it a thumbs up, or something else.

IdolEyes787
03-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Friends with Benefits (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632708/) Between this and The Hunger Games it shows how a movie can rise or fall all dependent of having a good casting director.

It's partly the writing's fault which is artificial in it's attempts(and fails) to be way to hip but both of the leads ,Timberlake and Kunis, bring zero and I mean zero, believability to their parts.
Seeing as Rom-coms basically live or die on how much the audience likes/roots for/identifies the main characters basically everything else(which besides Woody Harleson turn as a gay sports editor isn't very much) is for naught here.
Not horrible but flat as hell and leaves you asking yourself "why'd I bother?" at the end.

Artemis
03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Having seen him in a couple of movies now I suspect Justin Timberlake has been taking acting lessons from Keanu Reeves. :blink:

mjmacky
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Not the one to defend former teen pop stars, but Timberlake does a fantastic job in almost every skit I've seen him in on SNL.

IdolEyes787
03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Not the one to defend former teen pop stars, but Timberlake does a fantastic job in almost every skit I've seen him in on SNL.

A skit is not a movie as while there might be caricature there is rarely characterization involved.
Anyway Timberlake is one of those rarest of people who has lived basically his whole life as a wealthy and adored celebrity so any chance of actually embodying the essence of a normal,relatable person in a role is purely coincidental.

chalice
03-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm having difficulty with the title of this thread again.

What if the latest movie I watched was the same one I already talked about last week and I haven't watched a movie since then cos my 96 inch 3 fucking D wall-rape thing is on the fucking frizz and I really, really, fucking really need to post in this thread?

Eh? I wouldn't want to have to repeat myself, like.

IdolEyes787
03-28-2012, 07:29 PM

What if the latest movie I watched was the same one I already talked about last week and I haven't watched a movie since then cos my 96 inch 3 fucking D wall-rape thing is on the fucking frizz and I really, really, fucking really need to post in this thread?

Write something better for a title and have manker change it to that.

chalice
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM

What would you propose, old sock? Would it be unreasonable to suggest a more vigilant approach, moderation-wise to this hallowed of hallows? Despite your poo poo cha choo, Idol, I know that movieworld is your realm. Your Five Corners. Your South Fork. Your Tara. Your Alamo. It's yours, mate, take it. And don't you never go let no low-down dirty, torrent fantasy, grease-tongued, pube-aspirer tell you no different.

Ask to be deputized as a movieworld ranger. This town needs sturdy folk like you. Hell, you could be rightly assured of me and my Nellie's votes. Once the young'uns reach votin' age, you'll rule this town.

Snee
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Pandorum

Yes, it's an Alien derivative, and yes, maybe it's not that original.

Man wakes up on spaceship. He can't remember where he is, or what's going on. The spaceship is run-down, badly lit and inhabited by strange and dangerous things, and the few recognizably human survivors he encounters on his quest to set things right pretty much range from just hostile to murderously psychotic. The title refers to a kind of madness that affects deep-space travellers, often with catastrophic results.

What I like about it is that it's slick, and well executed. Good performances from all actors involved, a well-written if not especially intricate script, and well-made stages make for a movie that, in my mind, would have been just as successful as the original Alien, if it had been first.

chalice
03-28-2012, 09:16 PM

What would you propose, old sock? Would it be unreasonable to suggest a more vigilant approach, moderation-wise to this hallowed of hallows? Despite your poo poo cha choo, Idol, I know that movieworld is your realm. Your Five Corners. Your South Fork. Your Tara. Your Alamo. It's yours, mate, take it. And don't you never go let no low-down dirty, torrent fantasy, grease-tongued, pube-aspirer tell you no different.

Ask to be deputized as a movieworld ranger. This town needs sturdy folk like you. Hell, you could be rightly assured of me and my Nellie's votes. Once the young'uns reach votin' age, you'll rule this town.

Btw, that wasn't sarcasm.

IdolEyes787
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3c9ngwHghg&feature=related

Actually this is the one that I originally intended ,capturing better the essence of what you said but the Leone one was too brilliant to ignore.I think I came in my pants at least twice while rewatching it.:pinch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFarFM9sow

Btw I found Open Range quite enjoyable in it's insistence of clinging to the old fashion notion of doing the right thing.Westerns let you get away with that without adding any irony to the mix.

Pandorum

Yes, it's an Alien derivative, and yes, maybe it's not that original.

Man wakes up on spaceship. He can't remember where he is, or what's going on. The spaceship is run-down, badly lit and inhabited by strange and dangerous things, and the few recognizably human survivors he encounters on his quest to set things right pretty much range from just hostile to murderously psychotic. The title refers to a kind of madness that affects deep-space travellers, often with catastrophic results.

What I like about it is that it's slick, and well executed. Good performances from all actors involved, a well-written if not especially intricate script, and well-made stages make for a movie that, in my mind, would have been just as successful as the original Alien, if it had been first.

I don't think the two movies are that comparable Alien being for all the distractions a much more straight forward "monster movie" , Pandorum requiring more from the audience as the real scary stuff coming after the twist finding form more the psychological horror aspects.
Actually I think Pandorum matches up better with Super Nova (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134983/)a movie that frankly scared/disturbed the fuck out of me. It like Pandorum tanked at the box office btw.

mjmacky
03-29-2012, 05:16 AM

A skit is not a movie as while there might be caricature there is rarely characterization involved.
Anyway Timberlake is one of those rarest of people who has lived basically his whole life as a wealthy and adored celebrity so any chance of actually embodying the essence of a normal,relatable person in a role is purely coincidental.

Being that the only movie I've seen him in was the Social Network, of which I'm not even sure it was him (so apologies if I'm wrong), I was only trying to say that he does comedy pretty well.

Artemis
03-29-2012, 06:04 AM
The Rum Diary

For those of you who haven't seen this movie, yet have seen a. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and b. the trailer for The Rum Diary a spoiler FAIR WARNING! This movie is refreshingly nothing like either Fear and Loathing or the trailer which is really surprising. It starts out hilariously and drunkenly enough with a 'writer' (not yet published) who takes on a freelance job at a local paper in Puerto Rico in the 1950's. The movie though becomes a story of his awakening to corruption and abuse of power by the 'bastards' and is surprisingly uplifting. Aaron Eckhardt puts in another great performance as the archetypal corporate baddie, while Johnny Depp is stellar as Kemp the writer awakening to the corruption. Richard Jenkins as usual puts in a great performance as a ground down character this time the newspaper editor, while Giovanni Ribisi is brilliant as Moberg.
There are of course some Hunter Thomson moments in this movie and they do exceed excess, the scene when they are driving the Fiat Bambina after it has been stripped is hilarious.
This truly is a movie to watch, and guess what boys and girls not a CGI effect in sight just superb character acting driven by a brilliant script.

mjmacky
03-29-2012, 06:32 AM
The Rum Diary

For those of you who haven't seen this movie, yet have seen a. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and b. the trailer for The Rum Diary a spoiler FAIR WARNING! This movie is refreshingly nothing like either Fear and Loathing or the trailer which is really surprising. It starts out hilariously and drunkenly enough with a 'writer' (not yet published) who takes on a freelance job at a local paper in Puerto Rico in the 1950's. The movie though becomes a story of his awakening to corruption and abuse of power by the 'bastards' and is surprisingly uplifting. Aaron Eckhardt puts in another great performance as the archetypal corporate baddie, while Johnny Depp is stellar as Kemp the writer awakening to the corruption. Richard Jenkins as usual puts in a great performance as a ground down character this time the newspaper editor, while Giovanni Ribisi is brilliant as Moberg.
There are of course some Hunter Thomson moments in this movie and they do exceed excess, the scene when they are driving the Fiat Bambina after it has been stripped is hilarious.
This truly is a movie to watch, and guess what boys and girls not a CGI effect in sight just superb character acting driven by a brilliant script.

Hmm, I hated Fear and Loathing in LV, and I love me some Eckhardt. I originally wrote off this movie (meaning I actively avoided seeing it), you have prompted me to start another investigation. If I'm disappointed in the recommendation, I will use the poor advisement in some manner to insult you in the distant future.

mjmacky
03-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Carnage (2011) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/)

Polanski film, length just short of a full feature, absolutely worth a viewing. Scene of one kid hitting another kid with a stick. Next scene are both sets of parents attempting a reconciliation of the matter alone in the "victim's" house without the children present, final scene of kids playing in the park. I'm not necessarily a fan of cringe moments, but once in awhile it's done in such a manner where it really pays off, and this movie has several. You've got a WASPy cast of 4 escalating their differences of opinion into drunken ramblings, meanwhile alliances breaking down and reforming pretty much to the point where each stands on their own. It's pretty much one setting, almost cut short several times but blocked by snide remarks and proud retort.

How to classify this. It's a comedy. Yeah, I can say that, a serious comedy. Just watch it, it's fantastic. It has a potpourrie of African child murderers, art decor, pharmaceutical corruption, ridicule of murses, and the difference between cake and pie. Jodie Foster (Taxi Driver), Kate Winslet (Extras), John C. Reilly (Gangs of New York), Christopher Waltz (Inglorious Basterds), all do a phenomenal job with each of their roles. Just watch it when you get the chance, that's all.

Snee
03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't think the two movies are that comparable Alien being for all the distractions a much more straight forward "monster movie" , Pandorum requiring more from the audience as the real scary stuff coming after the twist finding form more the psychological horror aspects.
Actually I think Pandorum matches up better with Super Nova (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134983/)a movie that frankly scared/disturbed the fuck out of me. It like Pandorum tanked at the box office btw.

I'd still call it a descendant of Alien, but other things I reckon must be huge influences are Event Horizon and the Descent, but at some point there's just too much common DNA to say for sure.

I'd say that Event Horizon, Supernova and Sunshine all lie pretty close to Pandorum, but between them all, I do prefer Pandorum.

Basically it's all your basical badly lit spaceship movie...and oh, what's that creature lurking in the corner?

Pandorum remains my favourite take on it, tho.

brightsid
03-31-2012, 04:43 PM
me <3333 Harmonica

Artemis
04-05-2012, 04:10 AM

I'd still call it a descendant of Alien, but other things I reckon must be huge influences are Event Horizon and the Descent, but at some point there's just too much common DNA to say for sure.

I'd say that Event Horizon, Supernova and Sunshine all lie pretty close to Pandorum, but between them all, I do prefer Pandorum.

Basically it's all your basical badly lit spaceship movie...and oh, what's that creature lurking in the corner?

Pandorum remains my favourite take on it, tho.
For me the most haunting take on the alien theme would have to be Event Horizon, I genuinely enjoyed Pandorum yes, but Event Horizon like the original Alien is a very visceral film, you are genuinely going omg and even on rewatching the movie(s) the raw power is still there. I also like how the madness slowly unfolds and envelops everyone in Event Horizon, they don't just die, they get to go insane first (lucky them).

Quarterquack
04-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Pandorum was awful.

On a scale of a story that could have developed with the setting being my backyard, and a story that could develop by throwing in deep space themes, post-apocalyptic survival tactics, on a futuristic high-tech spaceship, with aliens involved, the development hit pretty close to home with the former setting.

IdolEyes787
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
For me the most haunting take on the alien theme would have to be Event Horizon, I genuinely enjoyed Pandorum yes, but Event Horizon like the original Alien is a very visceral film, you are genuinely going omg and even on rewatching the movie(s) the raw power is still there. I also like how the madness slowly unfolds and envelops everyone in Event Horizon, they don't just die, they get to go insane first (lucky them).

You only say that because Sam Neil's in it.
Racist.

shaman0032000
04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
girl with the dragon tatoo , i loved the movie any similar one ?

mjmacky
04-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ6JLCMbWoU

IdolEyes787
04-05-2012, 05:01 PM

I honestly don't know why I am doing this seeing as you are probably just spamming the board to gain entry to the invite/trade section and will likely never set foot in this part of the site again.

The Girl Who Played with Fire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216487/)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343097/)

You're welcome and if you honestly want to thank me prove the statement above to be wrong.

Artemis
04-07-2012, 04:45 AM

You only say that because Sam Neil's in it.
Racist.

He's not our only successful export you know, since Temuera Morrison persistently kept cropping up in Star Wars and while there are no available Latino stars so they keep on casting Cliff Curtis instead. :naughty:

12vinod34
04-13-2012, 07:51 AM
I watched latest movie Agneepath, and I felt the action play of hrithik roshan is awesome.

IdolEyes787
04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I watched latest movie Agneepath, and I felt the action play of hrithik roshan is awesome.

I miss the time when I actually knew the reason that people were banned.

The Cabin in the Woods

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/)The film certainly has Joss Whedon's footprints all over it .Anyone familiar with his work will see similarities if not outright theft of story elements from Buffy ,Angel and Dollhouse( probably Firefly too if you look closely) .Also a few familiar faces in parts both large and small.
Anyway after the initial setup the pace rarely lags with some good if ,this being a deconstruction, predictable scares and more gore than you'd except.The best part at least for me, as in most Whedon stuff was the humour ,some admittedly very dark and the fact though a deconstruction it also plays like an homage with none of the irritating "look I'm all grown up and cool now and smarter than that" of the Scream films.

All in all a good movie if the ending left me flat which may be why the film apparently sat on the shelf for 3 years before finally getting a release.

Artemis
04-15-2012, 12:10 AM

I miss the time when I actually knew the reason that people were banned.

Transforms the dark moon.............

You mean apart from being a mentally retarded spammer? Any user with multiple numbers in their username is randomly generating it anyway so it becomes obvious they are hiding something, scamming, cheating, selling, it doesn't really matter they are all obvious cunts.

IdolEyes787
04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Any user with multiple numbers in their username is randomly generating it anyway so it becomes obvious they are hiding something, scamming, cheating, selling, it doesn't really matter they are all obvious cunts.

Okay I buy the obvious cunt part but honestly it wasn't randomly generated and I'm not really hiding anything.:cry:

Sincerely IdolEyes787

lol2
04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
"Entrapment (1999)"

Catherine Zeta Jones is amazing :D

IdolEyes787
04-15-2012, 05:35 PM
"Entrapment (1999)"

Catherine Zeta Jones is amazing :D

Registered a couple of weeks ago .Inactive until today then a sudden influx of spammish posts.I wonder where this it going? 107964

chalice
04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Michael Collins (1996)

I liked the bit where all the Englishmen and protestants got killed, but it was ultimately disappointing in its historical inaccuracy in that there was no mention whatsoever of him going to the moon. Probably because the information was suppressed by the Englishmen at NASA who made sure he never left the module in case he tried to claim it for Ireland.

IdolEyes787
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Michael Collins (1996)

I liked the bit where all the Englishmen and protestants got killed, but it was ultimately disappointing in its historical inaccuracy in that there was no mention whatsoever of him going to the moon. Probably because the information was suppressed by the Englishmen at NASA who made sure he never left the module in case he tried to claim it for Ireland.

Not nearly as satisfying as Tom Collins.

Angel Eyes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0225071/) . Coming out around the time of The Sense Sense tries and fails to play into that kind of otherworldly vibe. In the end nothing but a weird love story though ,the kind of which while you are watching the whole time you are also asking yourself "why am I watching this"?
Anyway the stupidity did nothing to diminish my man love for Jim Caviezel ,so including Clive Owen and Timothy Olyphant that now makes 3 guys I would officially bromance.:pinch:

Artemis
04-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I REALLY liked Timothy Olyphant in High Life, maybe not the best film, but he was brilliant in it. It takes a great deal of talent take what is basically an objectionable character and create empathy and have the audience feel warmth and engagement with that character. The movie also had a basic storyline based over four days with a series of hapless events.
Not sure about the bromance :ghey: but great list none the list.

IdolEyes787
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I REALLY liked Timothy Olyphant in High Life, maybe not the best film, but he was brilliant in it. It takes a great deal of talent take what is basically an objectionable character and create empathy and have the audience feel warmth and engagement with that character. The movie also had a basic storyline based over four days with a series of hapless events.
Not sure about the bromance :ghey: but great list none the list.

Thing about Olyphant is that he shifts so easily between hero and villain and so you never know exactly where his characters are heading.That fact was used effectively in The Perfect Getaway ,a so-so movie but one that (for me) held an actual surprise.
After the "twist" he never skipped a beat and you bought him either way.

Warrior (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/)
Who'd have thunk it, a sensitive ,deliberately paced movie about guys beating the living crap out of each other.
Perfectly cast,beautifully acted,expertly directed, the film really doesn't hit a false note making all the hokiness somehow seem unhokey.Yes the story is paper-thin but in this case so compelling it doesn't really make a difference.
My only complaint is that the very end could have benefited from a little more exposition or an epilogue to make it more crowd pleasing.The only reason that I can think of that the movie didn't do Rocky kind of numbers at the box office.

Btw I'm no fan of MMA but I was thoroughly engrossed by this movie.If you haven't already watched it you probably should.

itsybitsy
04-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Cache (2005) un film du Michael Haneke. Anyone seen it? A pretty magnificent, well plotted film.

leven1905
04-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows -- not as much fun as the first film but very nice ending final. + robert downey jr. acts brillant

Snee
04-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Nordwand (eng title: North Face)

A german film about climbing a mountain.

A fictionalized account of the next to last failed attempt before the north wall of the Eiger was successfully climbed all the way to the top. As it follows the ill-fated Hinterstoisser-Kurz team (and the two austrians tagging along) up the mountain it makes the rigours of mountaineering in 1936 very real to me.

It's by no means the best movie I've ever seen, but it's definitely a good movie. It's quality, basically.

Competent actors, wonderful scenery and a solid story made it a pleasure to watch.

IdolEyes787
04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Sounds good.If you've never seen Touching the Void you like it as well.
Also Hollywood has done a bunch of "climbing movies" but being Hollywood they don't realize the simple act of climbing some of these mountain is drama enough and have to add Stallone blowing stuff up or Eastwood killing everybody or a "feel good story that the whole family can share in". :dry:

I also came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEYiSeDr1UE&amp;feature=related

a BBC documentary.Seems no matter how competent or prepared you are nothing is a certainty on the Eiger.

Snee
04-21-2012, 09:30 AM
...Touching the Void...

I gewgled around a bit, and that does sound interesting. Getting it now.

Seems no matter how competent or prepared you are nothing is a certainty on the Eiger.
That's one thing I got from the movie as well. If the weather goes really bad or an avalanche hits you, you might be entirely screwed no matter how good you are, basically.

I'm watching that documentary now. Only meant to have a quick look, but now I'm halfway through.

IdolEyes787
04-21-2012, 11:57 AM
As it was on TV I watched Serenity again.Funny how as time passes and you go on to the next thing you forgot how truly entertaining some shows were.
So in place on a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMAKtXlXf4

Snee
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqFSzNNdrw

mjmacky
04-21-2012, 01:56 PM
As it was on TV I watched Serenity again.Funny how as time passes and you go on to the next thing you forgot how truly entertaining some shows were.
So in place on a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMAKtXlXf4

How'd you like the movie Firefly?

They are 2 different kinds of beasts. I was much more taken with the show and thought the movie was just a little cool. Somebody I know thought the show was just OK, but will rave about the movie. That's like two different things isn't it?

IdolEyes787
04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
How'd you like the movie Firefly?

They are 2 different kinds of beasts. I was much more taken with the show and thought the movie was just a little cool. Somebody I know thought the show was just OK, but will rave about the movie. That's like two different things isn't it?

Obviously there was some changes made to make the movie more accessible to anyone not familiar with the series but except for the "harder" edge excluding a lot of the humour I found them more or less comparable.
Anyway I think unlike a lot of other sci-fi the film wasn't a blatant attempt to start( or in this case restart) a franchise but an opportunity for closure, bringing most of the storylines to a satisfying conclusion.

Really though I thought the first 2/3 's were meh but the third act brilliantly exciting with every (remaining) character given their moment, each being appropriate to what Firefly fans expected of them.As a self contained movie though I can see why that might make it fail though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqFSzNNdrw

Noice.

I've never actually watched Castle but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsnLN7jRtY&amp;feature=related

mjmacky
04-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I've never actually watched Castle but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsnLN7jRtY&feature=related

Those 6 minutes showed me I missed absolutely nothing having never watched it, Fillion or no Fillion.

Edit: Castle that is.

IdolEyes787
04-27-2012, 04:48 PM
30 Days of Night : Dark Days (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320304/)

Let's be serious,the only things that the original movie had going for it was some originality,a decent cast and a n an interesting location. Basically take away all that and you get this mean-spirited,straight to video time waster.
To be avoided by all except sickos in need of a little graphic gore.

One thing I have to mention though as this was obviously always meant to be a B(C) movie; what sort of idiot casts Diora Baird (she of the 32DD bust.See below) in something like this and then has her spend her entire time in the movie in a loose-fitting lumberjack shirt?:unsure:

Geez the only reason that people still talk about the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is for Jessica Biel in the wet wife-beater.

gon69
04-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Memento (2000)
I have heard of it before, but never watched it until yesterday. It is the sickes character impersonation by Guy Ritchie(although im not a big fan of him). It has a mind blowing plot, the story itself, the chronological order of the plot, the acting, cinematography. I loved everything about this film. A must watch for who likes intricate plots.

IdolEyes787
04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Memento (2000)
It is the sickes character impersonation by Guy Ritchie(although im not a big fan of him).

Could you repeat that but in English this time?

Memento (2000)
I have heard of it before, but never watched it until yesterday. It is the sickes character impersonation by Guy Ritchie(although im not a big fan of him). It has a mind blowing plot, the story itself, the chronological order of the plot, the acting, cinematography. I loved everything about this film. A must watch for who likes intricate plots.

Since it appears that your entire interest in posting in this thread was so that you can gain entrance to the Trade Section I'd like to amend my comment to a simple "Fuck off"

cliffwill88
04-28-2012, 08:04 AM
This means war, it was Hilariously spectacular! hahaha!

2PAC4LIFE
04-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Contraband
Was pretty good.I recommend it.

megabyteme
04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Contraband Was pretty good.I recommend it.I like the fact you managed to misspell the name of your own country. Smooth. 2Pac would be proud.109915

IdolEyes787
04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
This means war, it was Hilariously spectacular! hahaha!

Contraband
Was pretty good.I recommend it.

If I may interject.I think the hope here is that people will give some insight into why they liked or didn't like a particular movie.
In doing this it will (again hopefully) help other people determine if they might be interested in seeing it or if they have seen it give them a platform to express their contradictory or agreeing views on that film.

You don't have to write a review but something a little less vacuous would be truly appreciated.

Artemis
04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Well actually I'm sure I can do a better job of Contraband since it was the last movie I watched as well.

It is a fairly standard Mark Wahlberg vehicle, using the underdog getting back at the bad guise idea with a couple of surprising and clever twists. This movie is a very clever rollercoaster ride sans the big budget and refreshing without the special effects, it doesn't need them yet you are transported along by the story, and while some of the twists may be predictable, some most definitely aren't. As I said, a rollicking rollercoaster of an action ride. Switch brain off, kick back relax and be entertained.

IdolEyes787
04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Well actually I'm sure I can do a better job of Contraband since it was the last movie I watched as well.

It is a fairly standard Mark Wahlberg vehicle, using the underdog getting back at the bad guise idea with a couple of surprising and clever twists. This movie is a very clever rollercoaster ride sans the big budget and refreshing without the special effects, it doesn't need them yet you are transported along by the story, and while some of the twists may be predictable, some most definitely aren't. As I said, a rollicking rollercoaster of an action ride. Switch brain off, kick back relax and be entertained.

I read that there are 156 uses of the F-word.What I want to know is what kind of fucking idiot bothers to count?
Anyway I'm tempted by your description as I like unstoppable heroes and mindless mayhem as much as the next guy but I just don't find Wahlberg to be that compelling of an actor to make it worth risking wasting my time over.

Artemis
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes :yup: :yup:

-oops edit that wasn't exactly literate :naughty: It's not meant to be compelling, but I promise you you won't be going ffs either (well you are anal, maybe you will) I treated it as a rollercoaster ride and enjoyed it, if you treat it as an engineering acomplishment it will be shit, it was done on a budget (yay!!!!!) it was done in South America (yay!!!!!!) and on a ship(yay!!!!!) you are getting the picture on the budget? yet it is a ripping yarn, so as I said, I kick back, warm up the popcorn and enjoy!!!!!!

IdolEyes787
04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes :yup: :yup:

-oops edit that wasn't exactly literate :naughty: It's not meant to be compelling, but I promise you you won't be going ffs either (well you are anal, maybe you will) I treated it as a rollercoaster ride and enjoyed it, if you treat it as an engineering acomplishment it will be shit, it was done on a budget (yay!!!!!) it was done in South America (yay!!!!!!) and on a ship(yay!!!!!) you are getting the picture on the budget? yet it is a ripping yarn, so as I said, I kick back, warm up the popcorn and enjoy!!!!!!

I wasn't talking about the movie,I said Wahlberg himself wasn't that compelling.
Sure he's workable if you surround him with enough interesting stuff to distract you from his essential blandness but you can't honestly tell me that you watched anything that he's been in and gone"shit I can't see anyone but Marky Mark in that part".
Sadly in that family Donny got most of the talent and Mark got most of the looks.

Anyway I'm going to try and watch it but be forewarned if I don't like it then I intend to bully you like fuck.
...............................................................................................................................................................................................

T (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/)he Avengers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/)(yeah that one)

Though far from a perfect movie Whedon does what he does best ,bring a sense of true.aw shucks heroism to a whole lot of silly.
Sam Jackson's Nick Fury gets far too much air time ,actually S.H.I.E.L.D. in general just sort of gets in the way but all the other characters basically work ,both individually and as a team.In fact I thought Chris Evans was far better here than in Captain America and who'd have thunk but mark Ruffalo makes a close to perfect Bruce Banner.

As I said it's basically all very silly but in a good comic book sort of way and the fact that it never takes itself too seriously certainly helps.By the end it had me cheering along with everyone else.
I look forward to the next installment especially if Whedon directs again.

Echo...........Echo........Echo

Snee
04-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Sounds cool.

I've just had a second viewing of Thor. I find it pretty entertaining, with some really good casting choices. Most notably for Loki.

It's really a very good conversion of that comic to a movie, which probably makes the fact that I like it extra impressive, seeing as how most things which are primarily about Marvel's Thor are kind of boring. Vikings (miniseries) being an exception, and the movie was nothing like that either.

Currently accidentally zapped into Ghost Rider. I've got a Marvel theme going here.

mjmacky
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I wasn't talking about the movie,I said Wahlberg himself wasn't that compelling.
Sure he's workable if you surround him with enough interesting stuff to distract you from his essential blandness but you can't honestly tell me that you watched anything that he's been in and gone"shit I can't see anyone but Marky Mark in that part".
Sadly in that family Donny got most of the talent and Mark got most of the looks.

Well, ignoring the fact that any role is replaceable from one or the next person's perspective, I wouldn't have preferred anyone else in Wahlberg's character in I <3 Huckabees.

Doss123
04-29-2012, 05:01 AM
I liked it quite a bit. Genuinely I like the more funny Coen Siblings movies a little bit more than their serious movies. That's not to say I don't like their serious products, it's just less "draining" to look at one of their comedies.

Artemis
04-29-2012, 09:50 AM

Anyway I'm going to try and watch it but be forewarned if I don't like it then I intend to bully you like fuck.
...............................................................................................................................................................................................

There are two actors who reprise roughly similar role types, Mark Wahlberg, and Tom Cruise, now to be honest although he might be a more bland for the people actor, I'm not reaching for the vomit bag like I would be with some of Tom Cruise's outings. They both play on the underdog theme, yet Tom Cruise has such a monumental ego that it comes across as ludicrously false. Case in point: Knight and Day... I mean seriously What The Fuck ( the contraction does a disservcie to what a massive waste of time this ego massage is ). I'm working my way up to Ghost Protocol ( I know I'm going to DEEPLY regret it ) but it has to be done just to go yes you were right dumbass!
The current crop of Hollywood extravaganza's have become so surreal that they are feeding on themselves, they have little to do with the world around them, they have created their own alternate reality. Movies like contraband eschew all of this and turn back to a simpler time, bully me all you like, I was pleasantly surprised for a change.

IdolEyes787
04-29-2012, 11:33 AM
You'll be happy to know that they have green lit a sequel to Top Gun then.All the major players- Cruise,Bruckheimer,Tony Scott will return.My main concern those is if they will still be able to live up to the standard of homo-erotica as the original?That and if Val Kilmer reprises Iceman will his plane be able to get off the ground?
I also hear that to stay true to the first one and have gays in both romantic lead roles a search is currently underway to find the new Kelly McGillis.I say Amber Heard but they may scoff at the suggestion her being only bisexual.

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
There are two actors who reprise roughly similar role types, Mark Wahlberg, and Tom Cruise, now to be honest although he might be a more bland for the people actor, I'm not reaching for the vomit bag like I would be with some of Tom Cruise's outings. They both play on the underdog theme, yet Tom Cruise has such a monumental ego that it comes across as ludicrously false. Case in point: Knight and Day... I mean seriously What The Fuck ( the contraction does a disservcie to what a massive waste of time this ego massage is ). I'm working my way up to Ghost Protocol ( I know I'm going to DEEPLY regret it ) but it has to be done just to go yes you were right dumbass!
The current crop of Hollywood extravaganza's have become so surreal that they are feeding on themselves, they have little to do with the world around them, they have created their own alternate reality. Movies like contraband eschew all of this and turn back to a simpler time, bully me all you like, I was pleasantly surprised for a change.

I may be repeating myself, but I always saw Cruise as the "prick heading for redemption of character through event-induced enlightment" archetype. However, being a prick in real life, I tend to avoid movies with him in it. I begrudgingly gave "Tropic Thunder" a viewing after endless pestering (which lasted the length of nearly a year), and in the end didn't really like the movie, thus causing me to cement myself further on the previously upheld stance.

I haven't come up with an archetype for Wahlberg yet, haven't even given it much thought. That's probably because I'm neither a huge for nor do I dislike him. I just like the guy even if he doesn't do anything special on screen :/
You couldn't pay me enough money to watch Entourage though.

Artemis
04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
What's Entourage?

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 04:21 PM
What's Entourage?

I want to switch places with you.

IdolEyes787
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
What's Entourage?

I'll tell you how little interest I have in this show.I've read that there are consistently hawt babes in it and I've still never bothered to watch even one episode.:mellow:

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 06:08 PM

I'll tell you how little interest I have in this show.I've read that there are consistently hawt babes in it and I've still never bothered to watch even one episode.:mellow:

I heard there are muscle dudes in it.

junglebook
04-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Gone of movies lately dont eem to have the time. Ill download a bit of T.v
Luv a bit of sci-fi - anything vampire that kinda thing ya kno but as lately 21 jump street was ite
Cabin in the woods is all hyped to b some killa film. Have my doubts.

IdolEyes787
04-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Luv a bit of sci-fi - anything vampire that kinda thing ya kno but as lately 21 jump street was ite

I believe this post belongs in that other thread "I don't seem to understand the topic but that still won't prevent me from babbling on incoherently"

Artemis
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM

I believe this post belongs in that other thread "I don't seem to understand the topic but that still won't prevent me from babbling on incoherently"

Manker has helped you out and put a nice title under the avatar to help you understand what high regard he and the rest of the staff hold this user in. :yup:

SelfMadeMMAn
04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Act of Valor
9 out of 10

IdolEyes787
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Act of Valor
9 out of 10

You know when I was staff I changed the title to the thread just to avoid that sort of mindless post so I'm sincerely hurt that he decided to write that.
In fact I'd probably cry if I thought it would do me any good.

Artemis
04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Act of Valor
9 out of 10

You know when I was staff I changed the title to the thread just to avoid that sort of mindless post so I'm sincerely hurt that he decided to write that.
In fact I'd probably cry if I thought it would do me any good.

You'll just have to content yourself with the fact that he has to relearn where his sock drawer is each day, and the doorknob and the.....you get the idea.....

dion09529
04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
X-Files Pilot Episode

IdolEyes787
04-30-2012, 06:53 PM
X-Files Pilot Episode

Strange title for a movie but then again The X-Files was a strange show.

SelfMadeMMAn
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Hahaha, Socks are in the second drawer, doorknob is on the lefthand side of the door. Now, as to my post, I loved the movie, thus I gave it my personal rating. For plot and actors, there is a little site called IMDB.com. Why spoil the movie for those who have not seen it? Now that doesn't make alot of sense now does it?

IdolEyes787
04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Hahaha, Socks are in the second drawer, doorknob is on the lefthand side of the door. Now, as to my post, I loved the movie, thus I gave it my personal rating. For plot and actors, there is a little site called IMDB.com. Why spoil the movie for those who have not seen it? Now that doesn't make alot of sense now does it?

So have the mods change the title to "Totally pointless,arbitrary rating thread" .

Seriously you can say something without giving away the plot that's what every professional movie critic does for a living :mellow: and as the the imdb suggestion ,well OK then let us close down all others sites on the interweb and all go post there shall we?

Artemis
04-30-2012, 10:43 PM

So have the mods change the title to "Totally pointless,arbitrary rating thread" .

Seriously you can say something without giving away the plot that's what every professional movie critic does for a living :mellow: and as the the imdb suggestion ,well OK then let us close down all others sites on the interweb and all go post there shall we?

First of all, thanks for explaining where your socks are. :slap:
Secondly something with a bit more personal more depth, you know...... engaging more than five brain cells at one time is sort of what we were looking for. Not a future Leonard Maltin no,no,no,no just someone who can actually manage to get their brain out of forum cruise control and recommend what they like (and dislike ) and back it up with with with a bit of narrative. A while back we were debating our personal worst movies of all time and why. It is the narrative that makes the difference not the meaningless out of 10 rating or should we just get the staff to setup some polls for you to click buttons? Would that be fun? I'm sure we could just have about 10 or 15 polls for you to go through and click the appropriate number out of 10 on your personal rating system if you can't be bothered to explain WHY you rate them that way.

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 05:59 AM
X-Files Pilot Episode

Let me tell you the problem I had with the X-Files pilot episode. This bitch is supposed to be some kind of super medical expert, meeting with some genius analytical mind. He shows a slide on the projector for an image depicting a generic backbone of a polypeptide sequence (proteins are long strings of amino acids connected by peptide bridge, i.e. polypeptide). 'R' is used to denote it's a side group for an amino acid, a placeholder, much like the way 'x' is used in algebra. So with the most generic image on the screen they draw out their confused expressions and we're immediately supposed to think alien.

It upsets me so much that I'm putting up images:

Idiots

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Scully was hot so shut the fuck up nerd boy.

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 10:56 AM

You don't understand, I really wanted to like the X-Files, and I really tried, twice. I just can't.

The only other thing I've seen her in was The Last King of Scotland. Fucking Whitaker, I love his performances.

Artemis
05-01-2012, 11:06 AM

You don't understand, I really wanted to like the X-Files, and I really tried, twice. I just can't.

The only other thing I've seen her in was The Last King of Scotland. Fucking Whitaker, I love his performances.

Watch Catch .44 the rest of them are so so but Whitaker is sublime..... :yup:

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Watch Species the chick is hot......

Actually watch Ghost Dog.

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Watch Species the chick is hot......

Actually watch Ghost Dog.

I saw Species what over 15 years ago, but have never watched Ghost Dog. Is it a serious recommendation? I was under the impression that it sucked, maybe it's Bill Cosby's fault.

Watch Catch .44 the rest of them are so so but Whitaker is sublime..... :yup:

What did I do to you? I feel like you must hate me or something.

Giddy
05-01-2012, 11:42 AM
21 Jump Street and thought it was hilarious.

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 12:32 PM
21 Jump Street and thought it was hilarious.

Now, 13 pieces of flair is only our minimum.

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I saw Species what over 15 years ago, but have never watched Ghost Dog. Is it a serious recommendation? I was under the impression that it sucked, maybe it's Bill Cosby's fault.

It's directed by Jim Jarmusch and if you know the name you know that he doesn't make "easy" films. Anyway few interesting things in life are for everyone so whatever.

Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_dog_the_way_of_the_samurai/)

Roger Ebert(contains minor spoilers) (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000317/REVIEWS/3170305)

Ebert is the most literate of critics so take that into consideration.

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 12:58 PM
It's directed by Jim Jarmusch and if you know the name you know that he doesn't make "easy" films. Anyway few interesting things in life are for everyone so whatever.

I don't know if I ever pretended to be a film guy, but I have absolutely no idea who that is. I think you're telling me thumbs up though.

Snee
05-01-2012, 07:06 PM
X-Files Pilot Episode

Let me tell you the problem I had with the X-Files pilot episode. This bitch is supposed to be some kind of super medical expert, meeting with some genius analytical mind. He shows a slide on the projector for an image depicting a generic backbone of a polypeptide sequence (proteins are long strings of amino acids connected by peptide bridge, i.e. polypeptide). 'R' is used to denote it's a side group for an amino acid, a placeholder, much like the way 'x' is used in algebra. So with the most generic image on the screen they draw out their confused expressions and we're immediately supposed to think alien.

Idiots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Hey I don't complain about this so I don't expect you guys to complain about less important things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdbPTege7Cg&amp;feature=endscreen&amp;NR=1

Anyway clearly the highlight of Costner's career.

SelfMadeMMAn
05-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Secondly something with a bit more personal more depth, you know...... engaging more than five brain cells at one time is sort of what we were looking for. Not a future Leonard Maltin no,no,no,no just someone who can actually manage to get their brain out of forum cruise control and recommend what they like (and dislike ) and back it up with with with a bit of narrative. A while back we were debating our personal worst movies of all time and why. It is the narrative that makes the difference not the meaningless out of 10 rating or should we just get the staff to setup some polls for you to click buttons? Would that be fun? I'm sure we could just have about 10 or 15 polls for you to go through and click the appropriate number out of 10 on your personal rating system if you can't be bothered to explain WHY you rate them that way.

Whatever makes you happy

Artemis
05-02-2012, 01:44 AM

Whatever makes you happy

Would the monkey like his banana now?

mjmacky
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Idiots

I didn't even bother to try liking that show. I have never felt so irritated in my life at a 1 min. 41 sec. clip of a TV show where they use the number 3 instead of the letter E in the title.

manker
05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I get a similar sense of apathy induced when someone uses a 2 instead of an a in a sentence to be 'edgy'.

mjmacky
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I get a similar sense of apathy induced when someone uses a 2 instead of an a in a sentence to be 'edgy'.

Just jealous 'cause you can't write in times new roman.

IdolEyes787
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM

I didn't even bother to try liking that show. I have never felt so irritated in my life at a 1 min. 41 sec. clip of a TV show where they use the number 3 instead of the letter E in the title.

I never watched it as I found it hard buying Dr. Fleischman as an F.B.I. agent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCaCaY6C6Q

Course it had to be better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Jj4Z3_x7U

Morrow's first role ,Depp's follow up to Nightmare on Elm Street and Hector Elizondo in a wig.:mellow:

mjmacky
05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Idol, post any more of those and I'll buy the propane tank you will use to blow yourself up in the house.

IdolEyes787
05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Idol, post any more of those and I'll buy the propane tank you will use to blow yourself up in the house.

I'm quite offended by that remark.

Artemis
05-04-2012, 02:00 AM

Just how many death threats have you collected in your tenure here? http://i.imgur.com/bhawC.gif

mjmacky
05-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Just how many death threats have you collected in your tenure here? http://i.imgur.com/bhawC.gif

That wasn't a death threat, it was me offering the aid of assisted suicide. I was just being a friend.

So I see that the thread title's been changed. Since the abusers of this thread are either me or illiterate, I doubt it will do much good.

IdolEyes787
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM

That wasn't a death threat, it was me offering the aid of assisted suicide. I was just being a friend.

So I see that the thread title's been changed. Since the abusers of this thread are either me or illiterate, I doubt it will do much good.

I saw a movie but I it was good and so I have nothing critical to say anout it.

Artemis
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Oi fess up, who changed the title to the rather noncy one it now is, even Idol can't keep a straight face any more and post seriously. It's really, really :ghey:

IdolEyes787
05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Oi fess up, who changed the title to the rather noncy one it now is, even Idol can't keep a straight face any more and post seriously. It's really, really :ghey:

Then come up with a better one horse boy.

...... even Idol can't keep a straight face any more and post seriously.

Also when have I ever posted cereally?

mjmacky
05-04-2012, 07:57 PM

I could try.

How about "You'll be automatically banned if you post here with under 10 posts movie thread"

IdolEyes787
05-04-2012, 09:38 PM

I could try.

How about "You'll be automatically banned if you post here with under 10 posts movie thread"

But what if someone joined FST just so they could post in the movie thread?

IdolEyes787
05-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I watched Fast Five yesterday and I can say with a good degree of confidence that the vault theft scene was probably the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed on film and I've seen both Van Helsing and Howard the Duck mind you.
Also not saying that the director is a hack but who films a obviously computer generated scene (talking the car off the cliff thing) in slow motion just so everyone has a better chance to observe how phoney it is?
That and the epilogue seems to run as long as the entire rest of the movie.